The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 21, 2019
It was a great time to work with them. But I was in the Radio division and they wanted to say with TV so my time with them was short but a good one. Would work there again anytime
Constantly Changing Work Environment
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 8, 2019
The newspaper business is an ever changing environment with constant restructuring and downsizing. I can be a very difficult place to work, and requires thick skin.
Great place to work, management cares about you and your future
Multimedia Journalist (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 22, 2019
My experience as E.W. Scripps was wonderful. Every manager I had wanted to work with you individually to make sure you were doing the best you could do.
Best company i ever worked for
Studio Technician II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 6, 2019
I loved working for channel 13. Career advancement is definitely a plus here. They taught me almost every position, and even gave advice on how to transfer departments. I only left because I wanted a fulltime position at higher rate so I left..even when I put in my two weeks my boss offered to raise my hourly rate...but I foolishly had my mind set elsewhere.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Weird hours
This was a part time job working from my home
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 5, 2019
This was a part time job working from my home. Myself and two other employees covered the service desk in the evening. We rotated the shift and worked 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm, Monday through Friday, every third week. The service was outsourced after 1 year.
Great people & culture, but low pay
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 17, 2019
Scripps is very mission driven and focused on quality journalism. The people, culture and work life balance are great, but they don’t pay very well at all.
Pros
Culture, mission, people, work life balance
Cons
Low pay/compensation, lack of growth opportunities
First Sales Job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMarch 20, 2019
I learned a lot as a community advertising sales executive. This was honestly my first real job after my undergraduate degree and it was difficult. I grew because I moved from one manager, who had a different managing style, to one that fit my personality and work strategy.
Very appealing positions
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Park City, KS 67219March 8, 2019
The job is great, the customers are amazing. However, new account executives are at the mercy of the senior agents. Inactive and new accounts, typically with small budgets, are given to new execs making it difficult to make a comfortable commission.
Pros
Customers, flexible hours
Cons
Your competition is sitting in your office
Great employees and management
DIGITAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 9, 2019
They help their employees grow and reward hard workers. All levels of management recognize and help staff develop on an individual level. Feedback from each level of management is appreciated.
Talent Acquisition
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 21, 2018
Company has a fantastic Benefits/Overall Compensation Package that is above the bar. Overall team is tight and cohesive. Senior Leadership and Management are open for suggestion and share information as much as possible.
Company offered the opportunity to be creative
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Marco Island, FLOctober 28, 2018
The company offered quality products at a competitive price which were truly need by prospective customers. The creative backup offered made presentations much easier
Pros
Independence
Cons
Salary
Excellent place to work!
EPMO & Technology Lead Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 24, 2018
Culture is diverse and very team oriented. Great team and promotes kindness. Very open environment, surrounded by solid leadership. The company is very humanitarian. it's a great place to work!
It was a great place to work before the company was sold
National Online Key Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 24, 2018
I loved my team there and the leadership but once it was sold everything changed
I loved working with our clients and building those relationships as well as cultivating the digital space to those clients and enhancing their business presence online
the hardest part was keeping the online products front and center with the senior level reps who had never sold online or had very little knowledge of the inner workings of a good digital campaign for a client
Pros
great people and culture, lots of perks that were shared with the sales team
Cons
everything was great until the sale of the company
Old School Company
Director of IT Operations (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2018
Multi-Media Company with slightly below average pay and an old school mentality where chain of command and hierarchy is followed. Great people, culture is behind the times.
Amateur company with horrible management
Talent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
Clearly doesn't know what they are doing. Management is young and inexperienced. Horrible. Their attempt at a cable news network aimed at millennials is pathetic.
Good place to improve your craft
Digital Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2018
Overall I had quite a bit of freedom when it came to covering stories the way I wanted, though I realize that's not always the case. Really it depends on who your immediate manager is.

Personally, my peers and my supervisors were great mentors, and I picked up a lot of valuable experience while I was there. The company is very driven by its values, and I appreciated how there were plenty of opportunities to develop leadership skills.

Pay was low, but that's just the local news business. Benefits were great.

The station was understaffed, however, and workers were stretched thin. They really should hire more people to make work-life balance easier and to give everyone more time to focus on putting out quality stories.
Pros
Leadership training, nice coworkers, great food options in the breakroom, creative freedom
Cons
Some managers are more controlling over what stories you cover, understaffed, low pay
Great Company but Poor Management
Customer Service/ Collections (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2018
I love the company, absolutely love it. However, the company moves at a slow place to refill lost positions which causes some employees to feel overworked. Some managers are very poor at doing their job and seem to not want to listen to employees. You may find the typical "I am not a micro-manager" and then find out they micromanage everything in your day-to-day. Also, just because the majority of the company has the option to work from home do not be expected to be treated like anyone else in the company.
Pros
Decent benefits, relaxed atmosphere
not good
Air Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 25, 2018
This is not a good company to work for right now due to downsizing/eliminating positions. They will bring in lower paid workers and get the money out.
Pros
bi-weekly pay
Cons
no work/life/balance
Over worked and under paid.
SENIOR DIGITAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 12, 2018
As much as corporate preaches work/life balance. Corporate cuts condence three positions into one without additional compensation. The trickel down from corporate's expectations to what the actual work load is, is unrealistic.
Pros
Local people at each station level are wonderful.
Cons
Corporate lacks empathy for true work/life balance. Their only concern is revenue.
An exceptional place to work
Multimedia Designer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2018
Scripps gave me the opportunity to learn lots of new software and the art of television motions graphic. My coworkers were amazing. It’s a fun fast paced environment. Overall it is a great place to work.
Pros
Great learning experience, amazing coworkers
Cons
The Howard Franklin bridge during rush hour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The E. W. Scripps Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss