The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
not good
Air Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 25, 2018
This is not a good company to work for right now due to downsizing/eliminating positions. They will bring in lower paid workers and get the money out.
Pros
bi-weekly pay
Cons
no work/life/balance
Nope. Run the other way.
The List (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2018
Stay away. Easy as that. Don't waste your time. HR will not help you but will send you links to look things up yourself. Massive workload and under staffed. Not uncommon for staff to need a second job because of very low pay. Managers will shame and bully you without hesitation. It's a circus. Watch out for the lead clown!
Pros
You aren't unemployed
Cons
You end up broken inside and want to jump off a cliff to end the pain!
Over worked and under paid.
SENIOR DIGITAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 12, 2018
As much as corporate preaches work/life balance. Corporate cuts condence three positions into one without additional compensation. The trickel down from corporate's expectations to what the actual work load is, is unrealistic.
Pros
Local people at each station level are wonderful.
Cons
Corporate lacks empathy for true work/life balance. Their only concern is revenue.
An exceptional place to work
Multimedia Designer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2018
Scripps gave me the opportunity to learn lots of new software and the art of television motions graphic. My coworkers were amazing. It’s a fun fast paced environment. Overall it is a great place to work.
Pros
Great learning experience, amazing coworkers
Cons
The Howard Franklin bridge during rush hour
Poor Management
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiApril 18, 2018
Management lacked integrity and care for their team. Upper management also allowed personal feelings toward individuals to dictate how other team members were treated and measured against their own better judgement.
Pros
Work from home opportunity
Cons
The company sells their employees on the idea of work/life balance, however management expects you to work long hours if they do
Good place to work overall
News Producer (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDFebruary 27, 2018
I'd get in at 2:00 am to produce an hour-long show. We'd listen to scanners while producing and help the morning reporter find something to work on. The hardest part of the job was the schedule. The best part was putting on a good show and working with a fun group of people.
Pros
Learned a lot about producing.
Cons
Rough schedule.
Management heavy with no clear leader or direction
Producer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 16, 2018
You're expected to work overtime without compensation.
The managers don't seem to have a clear objective and only talk to you to relay criticism.
Some of the choices to fill positions are very questionable.
Unless you are on-air, you are treated as second-class person
There are a few good eggs at the station that truly try their best but they are too few and far between.
Not for me
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 12, 2018
YMMV, especially with a different location. My advice would be to really flush out the assumptions you're making about taking a fully-commissioned position, and verify whether or not they are true. I failed to do this, and was terribly surprised about the expectations held.
Negative Toxic Environment
MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 27, 2017
I worked in Detroit for 7 years and had great experience until recent management and corporate wouldnt do anything about it. Corporate mandates news converage but doesn't do anything about management on the local level.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Toxic Environments, Too corporate management heavy
Great Company
Executive Assistant-Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 20, 2017
great company, loved working here for 16 years. My boss who is a Vice President was let go do to a reorganization change and so therefore my job is being eliminated.
Was part of data team supporting analytics group.
BI Data Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 28, 2017
Technologies were up-to-date. Fast paced team with lot of scope to learn. Great future vision with aggressive management which I personally loved. The team and the management gives everyone a chance to give opinion. Best place for go-getter type of personality who loves to shine and wants to find solution when everyone gives up. The hardest part was constant change in priorities and set deadlines with not enough time given to do POC especially with the new technology.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of great project management
Management competely out of touch
Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 12, 2017
Employees were asked by corporate to explain why so many employees wouldn't recommend the company to anyone and the three major complaints were:
-Management lacked empathy
-Poor compensation vs workload expected
-Refusal to accept the changing nature of journalism/ stuck in old
ways

To date, not one change has been made
Cons
No advancement, bad pay, HR rep only points employees to the website and refuses to answer any questions
Strong management. Stressful work environment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 6, 2017
Strong management. Very stressful work environment. Fast paced. Excellent benefits. There is not much training. Must put work first. Is willing to hire older people.
Supportive environment with opportunities to change careers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 27, 2017
I work on a great team that is very supportive. The company offers opportunities to learn about leadership and career growth. You just have to be willing to take a shot.

More empowerment for people to make final decisions without requiring many levels of approvals would go a long way to speeding up the process.
Pros
Public transportation assistance/Inexpensive onsite gym
A good place to work
Business Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 19, 2017
Great people to work with at the local level. Very good family atmosphere and very loyal employees. My job was very challenging but I was given the freedom to do it at my own pace.
Graphic Designer & On-Air Promotions (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 12, 2017
I've work there for 4 years, give or take, and even though they were constantly understaffed at the station, they always found a way to get the job done.
Pros
Family like environment
Cons
Constantly short staffed
Attentive & Polished Organization
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 31, 2017
The E.W. Scripps Company is a an organization that believes that quality is the key. By looking at the level of accuracy and beauty in what they release they are able to produce true top notch material to their followers.
Pros
Accurate, top-quality
Very challenging work and enjoyable at the same time.
Risk Management Agent (Former Employee) –  Michigan, USAJuly 3, 2017
I absolutely love working at EW Scripps. Not only is my team collaborative and supportive but the entire company is as a whole. Our company has a strong sense of community that is felt in every office globally.
Pros
Home based
Digital Media is the future
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 5, 2017
Death of the newspaper industry and changes to how people view television forced the company to focus on digital media. Work life balance was the best I've experienced. Tough industry to have security.
Pros
work life balance, willingness to change
Cons
competitive industry
I'm just a new employee but so far my job with Scripps hs been a blast!
Part-time Remote Technician (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 24, 2017
I'm just a new employee but so far my job with Scripps hs been a blast! Getting to set-up for events and run sound has always been right up my alley so working with scripps has been a blast! I love my coworkers and management is great and very flexible with scheduling!
Pros
Free concerts, you always get to be on your feet, meet awesome artists and often get free lunch and drinks at events
Cons
I can only be here part-time :(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The E. W. Scripps Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight