The E. W. Scripps Company Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amateur company with horrible management
Talent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
Clearly doesn't know what they are doing. Management is young and inexperienced. Horrible. Their attempt at a cable news network aimed at millennials is pathetic.
Good place to improve your craft
Digital Content Producer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2018
Overall I had quite a bit of freedom when it came to covering stories the way I wanted, though I realize that's not always the case. Really it depends on who your immediate manager is.

Personally, my peers and my supervisors were great mentors, and I picked up a lot of valuable experience while I was there. The company is very driven by its values, and I appreciated how there were plenty of opportunities to develop leadership skills.

Pay was low, but that's just the local news business. Benefits were great.

The station was understaffed, however, and workers were stretched thin. They really should hire more people to make work-life balance easier and to give everyone more time to focus on putting out quality stories.
Pros
Leadership training, nice coworkers, great food options in the breakroom, creative freedom
Cons
Some managers are more controlling over what stories you cover, understaffed, low pay
Great Company but Poor Management
Customer Service/ Collections (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2018
I love the company, absolutely love it. However, the company moves at a slow place to refill lost positions which causes some employees to feel overworked. Some managers are very poor at doing their job and seem to not want to listen to employees. You may find the typical "I am not a micro-manager" and then find out they micromanage everything in your day-to-day. Also, just because the majority of the company has the option to work from home do not be expected to be treated like anyone else in the company.
Pros
Decent benefits, relaxed atmosphere
not good
Air Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 25, 2018
This is not a good company to work for right now due to downsizing/eliminating positions. They will bring in lower paid workers and get the money out.
Pros
bi-weekly pay
Cons
no work/life/balance
Nope. Run the other way.
The List (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2018
Stay away. Easy as that. Don't waste your time. HR will not help you but will send you links to look things up yourself. Massive workload and under staffed. Not uncommon for staff to need a second job because of very low pay. Managers will shame and bully you without hesitation. It's a circus. Watch out for the lead clown!
Pros
You aren't unemployed
Cons
You end up broken inside and want to jump off a cliff to end the pain!
Over worked and under paid.
SENIOR DIGITAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 12, 2018
As much as corporate preaches work/life balance. Corporate cuts condence three positions into one without additional compensation. The trickel down from corporate's expectations to what the actual work load is, is unrealistic.
Pros
Local people at each station level are wonderful.
Cons
Corporate lacks empathy for true work/life balance. Their only concern is revenue.
An exceptional place to work
Multimedia Designer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2018
Scripps gave me the opportunity to learn lots of new software and the art of television motions graphic. My coworkers were amazing. It’s a fun fast paced environment. Overall it is a great place to work.
Pros
Great learning experience, amazing coworkers
Cons
The Howard Franklin bridge during rush hour
Mix and Match
SENIOR MANAGER, DESKTOP OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 29, 2018
Scripps was always a bad mix of too corporate yet had the tools to be a better company. Some departments were pretty good but much of the remaining departments were a a mess. Overall, it's not a bad place to be but only a select few would last there for more than a handful of years.
Pros
Benefits, Work/Life Balance
Cons
When things are bad, they're really bad.
Poor Management
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiApril 18, 2018
Management lacked integrity and care for their team. Upper management also allowed personal feelings toward individuals to dictate how other team members were treated and measured against their own better judgement.
Pros
Work from home opportunity
Cons
The company sells their employees on the idea of work/life balance, however management expects you to work long hours if they do
Good place to work overall
News Producer (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDFebruary 27, 2018
I'd get in at 2:00 am to produce an hour-long show. We'd listen to scanners while producing and help the morning reporter find something to work on. The hardest part of the job was the schedule. The best part was putting on a good show and working with a fun group of people.
Pros
Learned a lot about producing.
Cons
Rough schedule.
Management heavy with no clear leader or direction
Producer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 16, 2018
You're expected to work overtime without compensation.
The managers don't seem to have a clear objective and only talk to you to relay criticism.
Some of the choices to fill positions are very questionable.
Unless you are on-air, you are treated as second-class person
There are a few good eggs at the station that truly try their best but they are too few and far between.
Not for me
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 12, 2018
YMMV, especially with a different location. My advice would be to really flush out the assumptions you're making about taking a fully-commissioned position, and verify whether or not they are true. I failed to do this, and was terribly surprised about the expectations held.
Negative Toxic Environment
MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 27, 2017
I worked in Detroit for 7 years and had great experience until recent management and corporate wouldnt do anything about it. Corporate mandates news converage but doesn't do anything about management on the local level.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Toxic Environments, Too corporate management heavy
Great Company
Executive Assistant-Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 20, 2017
great company, loved working here for 16 years. My boss who is a Vice President was let go do to a reorganization change and so therefore my job is being eliminated.
Was part of data team supporting analytics group.
BI Data Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 28, 2017
Technologies were up-to-date. Fast paced team with lot of scope to learn. Great future vision with aggressive management which I personally loved. The team and the management gives everyone a chance to give opinion. Best place for go-getter type of personality who loves to shine and wants to find solution when everyone gives up. The hardest part was constant change in priorities and set deadlines with not enough time given to do POC especially with the new technology.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of great project management
Management competely out of touch
Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 12, 2017
Employees were asked by corporate to explain why so many employees wouldn't recommend the company to anyone and the three major complaints were:
-Management lacked empathy
-Poor compensation vs workload expected
-Refusal to accept the changing nature of journalism/ stuck in old
ways

To date, not one change has been made
Cons
No advancement, bad pay, HR rep only points employees to the website and refuses to answer any questions
Strong management. Stressful work environment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 6, 2017
Strong management. Very stressful work environment. Fast paced. Excellent benefits. There is not much training. Must put work first. Is willing to hire older people.
Supportive environment with opportunities to change careers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 27, 2017
I work on a great team that is very supportive. The company offers opportunities to learn about leadership and career growth. You just have to be willing to take a shot.

More empowerment for people to make final decisions without requiring many levels of approvals would go a long way to speeding up the process.
Pros
Public transportation assistance/Inexpensive onsite gym
A good place to work
Business Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 19, 2017
Great people to work with at the local level. Very good family atmosphere and very loyal employees. My job was very challenging but I was given the freedom to do it at my own pace.
Graphic Designer & On-Air Promotions (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 12, 2017
I've work there for 4 years, give or take, and even though they were constantly understaffed at the station, they always found a way to get the job done.
Pros
Family like environment
Cons
Constantly short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The E. W. Scripps Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight