The Field Museum Employee Reviews

Fun, relaxed, enjoyable
Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
If you're interested in tourist attractions and museums and such, it can be a pretty fun place to work. When you work there you get a employee discount at the food court, and you can bring in as many guests as you want for free for the standard ticket pass.
Pros
Discounts, relaxed environment.
Cons
Tourists, multiple rush-hour periods.
Great place to work at
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2019
Being in an intern at The Field Museum was the best decision I had ever made. It is a culture of helping and wanting to see one grow. There is a lot of support and you get to explore new artifacts each day.
Positive and meaningful work culture
Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2019
My work experience at The Field Museum was meaningful and fulfilling. Meaningful because everyone at mostly every level cares deeply about their individual roles while also collectively driven by the Museum's common mission to "fuel a journey of discovery, enabling solutions for a brighter future rich in nature and culture." I did not experience this as well in other museums I've worked in. Also unlike other museums, collaboration was organic and enjoyable. From building relationships and partnerships with scientists bridging their research with public education in new and exciting ways, I found it easy to collaborate with other staff. The museum made great strides to build an inclusive and healthy work environment starting with an progressive HR department that is starting to recognize the importance of diversity and inclusion. The director is one of the best museum directors that cares deeply about climate and culture. I especially enjoyed that he opened his office for open group conversations with any staff in the museum. I'm grateful to the many experiences where I've grown personally and professionally. There were many opportunities for staff to participate in lectures, research presentations, and social opportunities with and among staff. The museum would do itself better if it can provide better compensation and benefits to its employees through salaries that match the industry. This sadly I think may affect some of the turnover that occurs more than it should. Otherwise, overall a happy and meaningful place to work that has worldwide respect.
Pros
Climate and culture with meaningful mission
Cons
better compensation and benefits
a typical day at work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2019
the management is very not respect you will learned a very lot a part this job it not enjoyable no more and also some people lost so manny hour around this time
The Museum is always looking forward to providing knowledge
BIOANTHROPOLOGY INTERN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2018
I was provided with opportunities beyond my expectations during my two and a half month internship as a bioarchaeologist. I spent most of the day underground in the human remains' room but felt well connected with other members of the museum's anthropology collection department.
Pros
discount, free admission to multiple museums in the city, free gym
Cons
slow work elevator
Highly educational learning experience
Docent & Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2018
I loved teaching history to the public and the exhibits on China are excellent. They are presented in a comprehensive manner, the flow of th exhibit is fluid, and the docents are knowledgeable in the subject matter.
Productive and great place to meet people
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2018
This was a fun and a great experience to meet and interact with people. it was a great palace to net work and see the many different people who loved to live and visit Chicago
Volunteering
Student Experience Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2018
I was a student experience volunteer and it was a wonderful experience to work with children. It was a teaching opportunity for myself as well, not only learning about the Field Museum's rich history but also how to teach children.
Nice place to work and learn
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2018
The staff is very helpful and friendly to work with,and the exhibits were delightful and very educational is was more of a learning experience than anything else.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner
Cons
Short breaks
Great Company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2018
This company offered many opportunities for growth and development. Overall, the experience was both educational and fun. I loved everyone I worked with as well as the job itself.
Field Museum
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
The Field Museum Is Very Nice And Also A Really Nice Places To Work At And U Get To Learn New Thing And Meet New People U Never Met And A Very Good Places To Stick Around
Productive and good teamwork
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2018
The people there worked well as a team and were always willing to help the interns and volunteers. Once you went through the training, they tended to trust you completely and made it easy to work without stress.
relaxed
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2018
a typical work day consisted of taking care of the customers, making sure they always ad directions guides provided for them...facilitating a line to make sure the customer at the register had privacy,etc.
fun and inspiring work environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2018
guest interactions are typically pleasant and productive. the field museum takes great care of its staff and volunteers -- the best accommodations I have seen for volunteers yet. there are many learning and career advancement opportunities. while it may be hard to get to know everyone because of how large the institution is, it still feels nice crossing paths with members of different departments, not to mention all of the museum guests, on a daily basis.
Pros
great place to be
Cons
big, compartmentalized work environment
Fun but a stressful job at times
Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
I find the museum a lovely place to work. Just have to learn how to work under pressure when in a fast pace area. Sometimes you have days where it's slow but it will pick up
Pros
Managers love spoiling there employees with meals when working hard.
Cons
Have to cut your lunch break short to get back to your post on time.
Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2018
It was great place to work and great place to learn. I loved the working there and great atmosphere. I would love to work there again if I had the chance. Love the fast paced atmosphere and the customer are great feeling.
Interactive
Guest Service Relation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2018
Working here on a typical day at the field is fun because you get to engage with an audience with a presentation for the exhibits inside the museum. The hardest part is standing up for long periods of time.
Pros
Relaxing Lunch Breaks
Cons
Just dealing with negative employlees
volunteer
volunteer (Former Employee) –  collectionsMarch 31, 2018
I volunteered for fun and met plenty of brilliant scientists who are experts in their field! There were perks like free snacks and behind the scenes access too.
Friendly and productive
Guest Relations Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2018
A typical work day at The Field Museum is pretty fun. Since I am a cashier majority of the time, I get to talk to people from all around the world, and make sure they have the best experience at the museum. Management is very well spoken and takes care of their employees. In my opinion, there is nothing that is hard with working at the museum. Of course it gets busy, but that pushes me to work harder. I really enjoy working with my colleagues and getting to hear about why guest come to the museum.
Fun and Layed back experience
Fish Collections GIS intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2018
My overall appeal with the museum came from the amount of freedom that went into each project. There was a lot of opportunities to work on independent projects that would contribute to what you were working on.
Pros
Free Museum Access