The Field Museum Employee Reviews

The job was fun, but too much oversight,
Guest Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Working at the Field was an amazing experience. I have built strong relationships with my coworkers. There isn't much interaction between departments, which I understand because of the size. At times I felt the culture was toxic. Working here made me realize that I need to have a better job as far as the pay and relationships with management.
Pros
Paid time off, Healthcare
I did research here for a school project
scientific affiliate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2018
the staff were all very friendly and the work environment was pretty good. Besides this I would recommend talking to someone who worked here for a longer amount of time as they would probably give a much better description of how it is to work for them!
Pros
you get an employee discount on food and stuff at the gift shop
Calm and very hands on experience.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2017
While being an intern at The Field Museum, I worked in the science lab. When working in the science lab, my boss and I would have hands on work to do.
Needs Definate Improvement
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60605November 3, 2017
I have worked at the Field Museum 10+ years and it's name is all that has any substance. Poor management, poor pay, no work/life balance, no career advancement. HR does nothing to help develop employees for possible advancements. Most managers create and promote clique and club behavior. Constant infighting amongst employees and very limited diversity (although it's claimed to be happening).
Pros
Decent benefits, great places to see
Cons
Not enough space
Productive and fun work place
Guest Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2017
The field museum is the place you would like to work it’s fun easy to catch on you get to meet some very nice people u get discounts on food and most workers are nice
Pros
Discounts on lunch
Cons
You have to wake up early
Really good work/life balance
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Pretty great place to work at! Great work and health benefits. I really like my 403(b). The only con is the lack of communication among the departments. It can feel like we are competing against in each other, when in reality we all work for the same institution and should have the same purpose.
Pros
Vacation, educational, helpful peers for the most part
Cons
Lack of communication among departments, not as inclusive as it should be
Excellent learning experience
Vertebrate Paleontology Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2017
The Field Museum of Natural History is an amazing place to work. The science being done there is extremely important and fascinating. Working there was enriching
Field Museum
Environmental Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2017
The coworkers were friendly, slightly immature. the staff was welcoming. I had a great time working there overall. A typical day at work would be to work on conservation methods in the Calumet region.
Employee Perspective
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2017
The Field Museum is a fascinating place to work due to its outstanding collections, laid back environment and desire to be a top notch science/research facility. Employees enjoy decent benefits and upbeat coworkers. The main issues with the company is the lack of competitive pay, limited advancement and very poor communication problems. Management from top to bottom can make a good work environment toxic by allowing cliques, unnecessary drama and poor communication between departments. Overall, the experience becomes more harmful than good.
Pros
Employee Time Off, Fascinating Exhibits/Collection, Staff Treatment of Each Other
Cons
Low Competitve Pay, Poor Communication, Petty Issues Allowed
Overall great place to work as a stepping stone toward a career.
Protection Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2017
Pretty nice place to work fun people to be around and everyone is friendly and very helpful. overall fun place to work and develop skill, you can definitely learn a lot working in this fun environment.
An honor to work here
Meteorite Collections Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2017
The Field Museum of Natural history is grand in every sense of the word. As a fossil preparator or collections volunteer no day was boring, you could work on anything you wanted as long as the projects were finished in a timely matter. I learned to create a better life work balance as I was a full time student during the week and commuting downtown over the weekend to volunteer and eventually decreased my hours. The management of volunteers is somewhat broken, they won't keep you on if you don't work for 10-15 hours a week, I had a two hour commute each way and came in as often as possible but could not meet their requirements and was treated rudely by a volunteer manager. Other than that isolated incident there really was no hard part to the job; everyone was supportive, passionate, and creative.
Pros
Ice breaker parties every week, The Brain Scoop is made here
The membership department is unorganized
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  1400 S. Lake Shore DriveFebruary 19, 2016
The manager is not very professional and degrades employees. However, I did enjoy meeting the many visitors who come to explore the museum. The President of the museum is awesome.
Pros
Free museum and zoo passes world-wide
Cons
Unorganized
The Field
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2015
Established goals for the department, Administered performance evaluations, Trained and promoted continuing education activities, sold Tickets also process all time off request and daily and Monthly schedule.
Pros
Good Manager
Cons
walking around for 8-10 hours aday
A good starter job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2015
They are going through a transition period where they are doing massive layoffs. Fun place to work, just not a very secure job.
Pros
fun
Cons
laying off
Stable Intellectual Setting
Anthropology Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2015
Chronologically organizing 15+ years worth of clay samples and their respective data; Processing upwards of 100 samples per hour of work; Transferring written data to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet; Facilitating discussion with museum visitors; Reorganization of archaeological lab to improve efficiency and ease of work; Great attention to detail in categorizing data
Pros
Top in the field
Cons
Non-paid internship
Excellent management skills
Executive Assistant/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Claim entry
Implementing policies and provedures
Data Entry
Strategic planning
Reporting
Payroll
Budget
Operations
Engaging workplace in a world-class natural history museum and research-based institution.
Research Assistant & Behind-The-Scenes Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2014
The Field Museum is such a wonderful place to work! Not only does it have state-of-the-art labs and storage facilities, but there is real science and research happening daily; not to mention the constant flow of people visiting from around the world to study our collections and work with our staff. There are many lecture series that happen regularly (weekly & monthly). The best part is knowing and feeling how dedicated everyone is to their job. We love what we do and it shows in the quality we strive to achieve.
Fun workplace with fantastic coworkers that truly made work feel like home.
Theater Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
Although my time at The Field Museum has been rather short, I can safely say it was been the best work experience I've ever had. All my coworkers really made every day at work fun and easygoing, while still maintaining our daily tasks with efficiency and speed. We all meshed very well together, and I enjoyed coming to work every morning and greeting my manager and supervisor. It truly felt like a family there and I wish I could work there indefinitely.
Pros
Free access to all museums in Illinois and some nationwide.
Cons
Short lunch break (30 min)
Fun enviroment
Building Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2013
My general duties were to maintain the washrooms for the general public, by making sure the tissue and soap was fully stocked, floors were dry at all time to prevent accidents.
Pros
Meet different people all the time.
Cons
Room for advancement was not available.
Research Assistant Intern
Research assistant intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2013
Key responsibilities have been survey data entry, which requires extreme precision and focus. I learned that the process of data entry is iterative and that several rounds of data "cleaning" are required. I am proficient using excel and can troubleshoot easily. In my job you've been given a high level of independence and are trusted to communicate with your supervisor about your progress and any issues that arise.

I also work part time as a bartender at a pub in the city.
Pros
free museum access, great schedule, great manager
Cons
unpaid internship