The Fortune Society Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 2, 2019
Wonderful place full of wonderful people. The people here really care about their clients and will do anything to help them succeed. They spend alot of time building each other up as well. Great culture and atmosphere.
Good place to obtain employment and learn great people skills.
Transitional Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2019
The Fortune Society is a good stepping stone for individuals seeking employment after release from incarceration. However it is not the ideal place to make your home. Get in, get out and move on with the skills learned.
Pros
Everyone who walks through the doors are treated with dignity.
Cons
Yearly Lay offs.
Team dynamic culture
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 9, 2019
Once you begin working at The Fortune Society, it becomes quickly apparent that you are part of a team/family type organization. The culture envelopes the mission as each program strives towards their respective goals and outcomes. Placing clients at the forefront, and embracing a true open-door policy, I often used the slogan: once a Fortune client, you are always part of the family.
They can actually be more open to the staff.
HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 4, 2019
I was an intern so I was limited to the things I was able to participate in. Location was fine but they defiantly need to build some sprirt and appreciation to the staff.
Horrable place to work. The people there have no clue and the ones that do turn a blind eye to collect a pay check
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2019
I enjoy the job but hate some of the people that work there so petty. Supervisors are bullies, the high up staff are snobs and look down on people. They make cuts and keep paying themselves, the pay doesn't match the work.
Unbelievable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJuly 5, 2019
I really love my job, and the people I worked with but it was hard at times and stressful .But worth all the years that I put in to feel bless to have a job like it. Also meeting good people and having wonderful coworkers to help me be able to make a difference in others life as well as mines.. It was a real journey to have in life thank you fortune Society...no matter what I am GRATEFUL for my life lessons there
Adequate stepping stone
ATI & FS Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 3, 2019
The agency has the deficits and limitations of any small nonprofit. Though most of its budgeting challenges are self inflicted it is a good stepping stone for those seeking entry level experience. However, executive level positions fair differently due to goal disparities. The agency is very client centered but lacks structured staff centered support.
Pros
Great entry level experience and professional development
Cons
Not much on advancement and salary. Overtime and bonuses = zero
A place to learn a lot of things and have fun doing it.
A wonderful day at work and there is plenty of things to learn.
How to work with others ,how to use the computer,Etc.
Management was good to work with.
The culture was informative.
There wasn't any hard parts.
The best part was teaching all the new particapants that it is possible to make something out of yourself,and meeting all the new staff,going to all the
fuctions that they have there and all over the city .
Senior Vocational Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 17, 2019
Meeting and greeting people of different ethnic, working with you and adults at risk. Working with them to become employable or help with education.
Discharge Planner (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 14, 2019
Job Culture is key to productive workflow, and Fortune Society Provided that, Throughout all the units in the Organization. I enjoyed my time there, learned much and was able to continue with obstacles to pursue career goals
Not satisfied
Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 15, 2019
Unfortunately things ended on bad terms with Fortune Society. They could not meet my request for more assignments geared towards Peer Specialist work related tasks. So they let me go. How ever my time with them was well spent learning things about the front desk which is helpful towards the job that I currently seek.
Pros
free lunch, flexible hours, paid internship
Cons
not enough Peer friendly assignments
Great work enviorment
Community Health worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2019
Fortune Society was one of the best places i have ever worked. I would go back in a heartbeat. Each and every Manager yreatrd with respect and dignity. The pay is great and you get annually raises.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
The staff was like a family management was all about mirco management.
Discharge Planner (Re- Entry Specialist) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2019
That's a company about who you know . If you don't know any of the main people outside the job there is no advancement.altho the goal is to help people with re entry services they Miro manage so much you don't actual get to help with that.
Cons
Mirco management. Your don't get to really help people either
understaffed but good supervision
Alternative to Incarceration Counselor, Internship (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 7, 2019
There was appropriate supervision and the chance to have a small caseload as an intern. I was able to work with a few very diverse individuals . It got hectic toward the end of my internship because of how understaffed they were, however it was a good experience.
Cons
unpaid internship
Excellent recreation and food service
Group Specialist/Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMarch 30, 2019
Working at The Fortune Society was a great gap bridging. It offered a non-judgmental environment for returning citizens, persons in recovery and at risk youth. It was a place to practice professionalism.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
A little lax with Clients
Plenty of educational, vocational, and employment opportunities.
Prep/ Packer (Ready-To-Eat Foods) (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 16, 2019
l left my last job because I felt guilty about working in and serving out of unsanitary conditions. Recognizing the need to learn more about Food Protection in order so that I may provide quality Customer Service, I acquired Food Handlers Certifications and went on to complete a paid internship at a local food service establishment. These certifications qualify me for positions at managerial level, since (by law) all food service establishments are required to have at least one employee (usually a manager) certified with said certifications.
Pros
Federal and State funded educational/ vocational opportunities
Cons
Having to be in classroom setting s with others who are not as serious about opportunities, and cause a disturbance.
Super fun place work and grow.
Director of Strategic Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Long a island City, NYMarch 10, 2019
Super fun place to work and grow, especially if you are committed to fighting mass incarceration and increasing public’s safety, all while positively impacting people’s livesamd communities.
Duties
Casemanager/Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
New clients come in on a daily basis. They work with recently release and incarcerated individuals. They offered education/HSE preparation as well as training in culinary and OSHA training. They also offer employment preparation and substance abuse outpatient treatment. I learned to do individual orientation for the education department as well and being informed on the other departments and informing clients on other services. I worked with contracts as far as data entry on the data bases required for the contracts. I ordered office supplied did inventory and distributed metro cards to students as well as gift cards as incentives for participation. Also facilitated online HSE preparation exams online.
Pros
Students are provided with lunches
Cons
Not enough time in the day to provide/ complete tasks due to trouble shooting.
Good working environment
Food Prep / Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2019
Good place for a person who just got of prison they have programs for a lot of ex cons that can help them reenter Society and make an honest living and stay focus.
Pros
A reentry program for ex felons
Cons
A lot of programs to get into
A Disorganized Disaster
Worked at (Treatment Services) (Former Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 21, 2019
In the few years (under 5) I been there, I had 5 Supervisors. There is a lot of "favoritism" for lack of better word when it comes to filling a position. When you do not have a fair and unbiased hiring process, you tend to get 5 supervisors. There is a lot of poor management and lack of communication, with the expectation that you can read their minds. The primary counselors delivering direct practice are hit the worst, their caseload surges up to 45 at times, then unable to provide quality services to each client and it becomes a "drive-by" treatment and "just sign here" so that the treatment plans are submitted on time. After a while it became very evident that they financial gain was more important than the quality of service being delivered---I'm not about that so I left.
Pros
Time off given when needed or when unexpectedly needed
Cons
Lack of communication, Poor management, Micro-managed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Fortune Society. Our community is ready to answer.