The Fortune Society Employee Reviews

Senior Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 13, 2018
A good place to work. I have anything further to add. I will delete this profile if you continue wanting more feedback. This is already taking too long.
Internship
Family Services Coordinator (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJune 11, 2018
Working as a intern as the fortune Society was actually good for me. I learned a lot while working there. I helped with the group sessions , teaching adults how to cope with different life situations.
Fortune Society
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 12, 2018
Nice,laid back working atmosphere. The people were nice and respectable. Although it was a custodian position, clients helped maintain the area by keeping it clean. However, the pay is not conducive to the cost of living.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Low pay and no benefits
Great for clients not for staff
Director (Former Employee) –  LIC, NYMarch 5, 2018
Staff are treated as disposable resources. This agency will use you until your usefulness wears out then you are shelved. Executive staff are elitist and EXTREMELY protective of their high salaries that are at least 50-60% higher than a frontline staff member's. Clients are the bread and butter and are paraded around elected officials strategically.
Pros
Assisting clients with second chances in life
Cons
Elitism among executives
very busy place there were a lot of different programs going on
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Working for the Fortune Society was a good work experience i enjoyed the workplace as far doing maintenance and cleaning and minor handy work and the employees was friendly and very team orientated
Pros
good work environment
Cons
not enough training for advancement
Pleasing work environment.
Case Manager/Life Skills Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2018
A days work was always busy. I learned about the importance of submitting monthly reports on a timely fashion. Upper management operated off how much one sought their approval. culture was corroborative. keeping up with constant demands. Most enjoyable part was seeing clients accomplish goals.
Great Way to enter the field of Social Services
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYNovember 12, 2017
Fortune Society provides a great opportunity for individuals young in the field to enter Social Services and make a great impact. Compensation could be much better and the employees would greatly benefit for more paid vacation time to prevent Compassion Fatigue and Burn Out. Opportunity for advancement.
Stressful & Disorganized
Legal Advocate, Bronx (Current Employee) –  Fortune SocietyOctober 24, 2017
This non profit organization has a mission statement that is incongruent with its actual day to day application in running their business. They care more about their funders than they do their clients. Fortune has a large turnover rate and employees are constantly leaving because of issues that cannot be addressed in a post. I would not recommend this as a workplace for anyone.
Productive and fun
Internship (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 14, 2017
This facility helped me build the skills necessary to find future employment. The staff were very supportive and understanding and were very helpful with every need I had.
I worked as an intern
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJune 20, 2017
Great people, the staff are very helpful. My role as an intern was fun. I learned a lot from the other employees.I received first hand experience from professionals.
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
long work hours

Want to know more about The Fortune Society?

Ask a question
Productive Facility
Case Management/Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 19, 2017
The Fortune Society was created to help men and women returning to society from incarceration. Enjoyed working in the housing unit and helping the youth.
Pros
Training
Cons
Not everyone get in program because of bed availability
Cooking
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 17, 2017
was able to learn how to prepare foods for dealy menus served clients lunch and dinner. Use grills and stoves to cook meats and vegetables. Swept and mop kitchen floors and wash dishes
Great place for professional development.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2017
Working at The Fortune Society has been a great experience. The people are very welcoming and friendly. I have learned a lot from my co-workers and managers.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
N/a
didn't like the place
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 28, 2017
I had to sweep and mop the hallways with people going back and forth while I was trying to do what was asked of me, it is hard when people don't follow the rules and they want you to clean correctly when people are in the way
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not that many hours
Great place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 5, 2017
The management team was very understand. I loved the atmosphere. We had a starting pay of $10/hr. The average day there was taking calls and organizing paperwork.
Very exhulerating
Administrative Assistant (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  26 79 northern blvdDecember 25, 2016
productive and exciting work place. learned many skills as an administrative assistant. Pleasant staff and employers to work with. the hardest part was maintaining schedules for different work shop classes.
Fast paced and demanding workplace.
Management/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJuly 4, 2016
Assist Management and VP in various daily tasks. Set up meetings, place inventory orders and help train new employees.
Pros
Great learning experience and great view.
Good for all
Leadership (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 18, 2015
allowed me to share experiences with peers about obstacles faced in minority communities. Assisted instructors with demonstrations and addressed stigmas that young minorities face.
Challenging
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  2976 Northern Blvd, Long Island City NY 11101May 31, 2015
The Fortune Society is a fast paced and intense work place. The Staff is committed to the Agency's mission; it is by every measure an exciting and robust community.
Pros
The Mission
Cons
The required intensity and voliticity and Salary
The Fortune Society has a great mission. However, if i were involved in upper management i think i would do a couple of things differently
Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 3, 2015
The employees at the fortune Society, for the most part, as myself, enjoy the work we do. However, the clients should be held to a greater degree of responsibility.
Pros
I commend the founder for his mission.
Cons
Sometimes the clients are allowed a bit too much latitude.