The Fresh Market Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,517 reviews matching the search See all 1,540 reviews
It's alright
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 13, 2018
I worked in produce for a little over a year. It's pretty relaxed. You just stack fruit, put away shipment, and clean.

Managers are okay. The store managers change a lot, I had 3 in the time I worked there. Most of them don't care and want to go home. Not trustworthy, wouldn't help in departments that were under a lot of stress or short staffed...even during holidays. Assistant managers work harder than the GMs (from what I saw) and the department managers are all pretty cool and make sure you get trained well.

Workplace is relaxed for the most part. I got along with all of my coworkers and had a lot of fun working there. Felt like a weird little family.

Benefits are good, but healthcare is a little pricey. Vision and dental are good and fairly priced (IMO).

Hardest part of the job was putting shipment away and then trying to stock the floor and finish your opening duties. Made the time go fast, though. Music also gets very annoying.

Most enjoyable part was the discount and my coworkers.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, discount, can request time off as needed, relaxed environment, dim lighting
Cons
Store managers and corporate, not flexible scheduling, no room for advancement
The company is changing
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 13, 2018
I loved my job and enjoyed the customers but management changes often and it makes me feel like you’re hard work goes unnoticed.Everytime your review is due it’s preformed by someone who doesn’t no your work history.
Awful place to work!
Deli attendant (Former Employee) –  Price, UTAugust 13, 2018
They said they wanted us to make the customers feel like guests at our homes, but then they didn't want us to talk to the customers. Just "Give then their order, and send them on their way. No chit chat." I was not allowed to ask how they were doing or anything, the manager didn't want me to let the customers stand in front of the cases for any longer than it took to order and leave.
On more than one occasion I was taken to task by my manager in front of customers, or other employees. Often for something as simple as not knowing how to do something and asking for instruction, even though it was not something I was trained to do.
Pros
An hour long lunch
Cons
poor training, can't ask for further instruction, they say one thing and they you're supposed to do another, very incosistant
family oriented
deli manager (Former Employee) –  Shaker Hts, OHAugust 13, 2018
the Fresh market is a very friendly and family orriented place to work the prices are just rite the quality of the food is excellent the people that works there is awesome.
n/a
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXAugust 11, 2018
overall the experience was great, I traveled with the company, I was promoted 3 times, and trained a lot of employees with the knowledge i learned.The management was great and they really work with your schedule.
Pros
you learn a lot
Cons
its fast pace, and time is everything
Love this place/
Assistant bakery manager (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJAugust 11, 2018
Loved this job, best managers and coworkers in the world.
I worked has a baker at a few stores, I loved what i did and ended up being cross trained in every department.
fun place to work
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2018
loved the environment, pay was poor no advancement. I think they really need to overlook their future and be more competitive in the industry or they wont be around much longer. I like the relationship you have with customers very customer oriented at the store I worked at several stores I shopped at owned by Fresh Market had lacked the customer experience. It's nice to be greeted and said hello too. I've noticed many of the stores in the grocery industry really don't care about their customers, Target is a great example of that very unfriendly staff.
Pros
you did get breaks, the assistant manager of the store was great closed holidays
Cons
poor pay and really no advancement
it was ok
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 11, 2018
I would begin the day with talking to the manager on duty and them telling me what do, from there look at the case and make sure I fill out what I have to. its a fast pace environment
Pros
it had its moments
Cons
a lot of work
Enjoyed working at The Fresh Market
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAAugust 10, 2018
I enjoyed the people that I worked with as well as the customers that I served. I enjoyed my job as well, it was very rewarding! Also had the opportunity to cross train in other depatrments, which made it easier to assist the customers.
Pros
Great place to work!
Good Place to Work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 10, 2018
Mondays, Fridays, Sundays we did backstock. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays we ran freight. At the end of the night we did blocking. Reasonable employers, it was a good job all in all.
Not a great place to work.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJAugust 10, 2018
There really isn't much to say about working at the Fresh Market. They gave poor hours because they didn't want anyone working full time. They payed garbage wages with pitiful pay raises. The management was poor and the corporate management was worse. There was a high turnover rate and the store was dead when I left. The only positive thing was hours where flexible until I was the only one left in my position.
Terrible time there
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 9, 2018
Management was terrible and the store was all about favoritism, i worked harder then almost everyone in my department but my hours were cut over people who barely did their job because i was new.
Former Employee
Associate (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 9, 2018
I enjoyed my job until they pulled the rug out from us and laid us off. I loved my supervisor and the assistant managers, but the manager (two of which were there when I was employed there) were HORRIBLE!!
Fun place
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAAugust 9, 2018
Great store job. They pay good plus you work around hood friendly people . Although the lady manager can be rude sometimes other than that it’s a great job
All dependent on the management team
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAAugust 8, 2018
OK place to work, did not receive benefits or were prohibitevly expensive to be worth it on the pay. Stores are manager driven so good managers good ecxperience, bad managhers.....
Very poorly run company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 7, 2018
Management knows NOTHING about running a successful business or creating a work culture that is remotely appropriate and even expected by workers in the 21st century. What is espoused in the employee policies/procedures and video trainings is vastly different than what actually goes on in the day to day work life of Fresh Market employees. Very sad.
Ok place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 6, 2018
Very slow paced place to work. It's a smaller company so advancement was minimal. I can't really say that Fresh Market promotes a culture. Felt like it was more of a job that you get as a kid growing up.
i dont know what to say
Backup bookkeeper/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 6, 2018
they had my back for a long time. then i called out a few times and i was gone. my work was excellent but calling in is not okay so you will lose your job
Basically a Volunteers Salary
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 6, 2018
I have worked for The Fresh Market for four years up until my store closed its doors. I was a hard worker, and was recognized for my ability to go above and beyond at multiple managerial meetings. That being said, they took advantage of my hard work by making me do the jobs of other employees without compensation.

I received one raise out of the four years working there. Granted, it was a very generous raise for my hard work; $00.32.
Pros
Customer interactions, end of shift
Cons
Low pay, lack of management
Nice place to work
Baker (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 6, 2018
I love the bakery department. I loved working with my coworkers some of them was the nicest people you would want to meet. I don't care about those early mornings but got used to it.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
hated going in freezer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Fresh Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight