The Fresh Market Employee Reviews

Found 1,708 reviews matching the search See all 1,735 reviews
Nice atmosphere and relaxing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 18, 2019
I enjoyed the ambiance at The Fresh Market. It was a pleasant environment. I felt like i went to work to destress because of the steady pase and lighting.
Pros
A lot of free samples
Cons
Not everyone appreciated the culture of the store
Poor environment that demands overtime
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLMarch 17, 2019
I was in high school when I worked here and I only wanted 16 hours a week, but they would constantly ask for more, always demanding more but never rewarding their employees or recognizing their dedication. Although the work was easy, the store was run rather backwards.
hated it
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kenwood, OHMarch 17, 2019
it sucked people there had no personality and most of the woman were looking to get any guy who talked to them fired. poor training for new hires and customer service sucked.
A positive and team building environemnt
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAMarch 16, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of greeting and helping guests in any way needed. Management was involved in assisting everyone and it was a fun environment. The hardest part of the job is of course some of the rude people you encounter. The most enjoyable part of the job was the guests that I built a relationship with and it was always nice seeing their smiling faces.
Pros
Discounts and scheduling
Cons
Distance and hours
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 15, 2019
I have work for this company for 13 years and the Department i work in is going down badly and it's because the Department Manager don't care.
And it's very sad .
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
It's an okay work environment. Not very diversed
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 15, 2019
Company really needs to up grade a lot of it's programs an procedures to help productivity. Working more to teach, train and developing for people grow through out the company.
productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALMarch 14, 2019
I loved working at The Fresh Market. They worked well with my school schedule and personal days I needed off. The management was pretty laid back. I loved working at The Fresh Market.
Pros
discounts, good breaks
productivie
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 10, 2019
the fresh market was an up scale store the gave great customer had bulk coffee candy and coffee as well as cmsservice to everyone we were a specially store that
Pros
carried item no one did
Cons
over priced
Typical Grocery
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 10, 2019
If you're familiar with the grocery industry, The Fresh Market is very similar. It requires hard work, daily production, and a strong focus on customer service.
pour working conditions,terrible leadership
Assistant Baker (Current Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLMarch 7, 2019
this would be a grate job to work at if the manager actually cared about his employees also if he wasn't so cheap and fixed things that are broken we wouldn't have to work as hard to get the job done

Want to know more about The Fresh Market?

Ask a question
Worst work experience of my life
Produce Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedminster, NJMarch 5, 2019
I wouldn’t recommend this job to my worst enemy. Terrible environment, culture, management, everything. They will suck you dry for everything you’ve got
not the greatest
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 5, 2019
high work load on a minimum amount of workers. borderline no appreciation for employees. Management is very hesitant to reward workers, You almost have to threaten to quit to receive any sort of raise.
It’s okay if you are living with your parents
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 3, 2019
It’s okay if you are living with your parents and don’t have Bill BILLS before we got new management the place was great to work at but now it’s a wreck the Mangers don’t care as long as you come to work they want you to work other departments but don’t get paid what the get paid. They will work you like a dog and don’t say THANK YOU AT THE END!!! Good luck to the new crew I pray for y’all as y’all work with the devils
Pros
Meeting great coworkers
Cons
Management, pay and customers
Nice place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 2, 2019
It is one of the nicest environment I have ever worked in. It's beautiful inside and everything looks and smells great. Employees and management are friendly. However, the managers can be a little uptight. I was happy the short I was there and they were nice about my medical limitations.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Managers uptight
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2019
It’s a cool place to work at !.. Always willing to work with you & futher assist you in many ways , & very good with handling customers on a regular basis
Great food, and 100% full service meat and seafood case
Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Fox Point, WIFebruary 28, 2019
Clean and salt hides.
Clean, trim, slice, and section carcasses for future processing. Cut and trim meat to prepare for packing. Inspect meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and remove them along with any excess fat. Obtain and distribute specified meat or carcass. Prepare ready-to-heat foods by filleting meat or fish or cutting it into bite-sized pieces, preparing and adding vegetables or applying sauces or breading. Prepare ready-to-heat foods by filleting meat or fish or cutting it into bite-sized pieces, preparing and adding vegetables or applying sauces or breading. Prepare sausages, luncheon meats, hot dogs, and other fabricated meat products, using meat trimmings and hamburger meat. Process primal parts into cuts that are ready for retail use. Produce hamburger meat and meat trimmings.  Remove parts, such as skin, feathers, scales or bones, from carcass. Separate meats and byproducts into specified containers and seal containers. Use knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws, or other equipment to perform meat cutting and trimming. Weigh meats and tag containers for weight and contents
Great learning experience
Asst. Bakery/Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLFebruary 27, 2019
I loved this job gave me a great learning experience with the baking industry and allowed me the opportunity to want to further my career and hopefully one day own my own bakery.
Great culture, bad management
Front End Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAFebruary 26, 2019
The pay was o.k. The full time benefits were great. Great place to work if you are customer service oriented and have a love for quality food or want to learn more about healthy eating. Awesome co-workers. Little room for advancement so the turnover was high but I guess that's normal for the retail industry.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible scheduling
Cons
management, constantly changing policies
Cuts Like a Knife
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 26, 2019
Pros

1) They aren't time micromanagers, i.e., they don't lose their minds if you clock in at 8:02 instead of 8:00. This is different from any other place I've worked (30 years, many industries and jobs), and it's a relief.
2) They donate current-date expiring food to a local charity.
3) Most (75%) employees are quite nice, friendly, super helpful and conscientious.

Cons

1) Before the end of my second month with TFM, my and others' hours began to be cut (down to 8-16 per week!) because "corporate" said it had to be done; however, three more people were hired *in my department* after I was...and two of them were given more hours than I was. Furthermore, the store is hiring in other departments (per the corporate website); WHY hire new people when you can cross-train existing employees within the store to give work/hours to those people with cut hours?!
1a) When people call out, others aren't called in to work for them, so workload is increased for those working...AND those who need more hours could be working! This is so simple; I'm baffled why this is an issue.
2) That donated food is not picked up on Sundays, so it's literally dumped in the trash on Sundays. I guess there's some liability reason employees can't take it (there *are* legal forms people will happily sign for that, TFM), but I'm on food stamps, so free food would be swell.
3) Work standards aren't upheld. Employees who deliberately perform poorly/incorrectly or flout the rules (and are repeatedly reported to management to be doing so) are never corrected/reprimanded, leaving "good" employees
  more... to pick up slack.

Advice to Management

I've said the same thing at every job I've ever had: Listen. To. Your Employees. This isn't hard. Sadly, I've learned all I need to know about the ethics of TFM. I expected better.
thank you, next.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 25, 2019
working at the fresh bucket was a waste of energy. the CURRENT store manager has no regards for employees & treated non management like we were not intellectual. Pay & hours were trash. Everyone treated cashiers like the bottom of the bottom. Cashier get grunt work at the end of the nigh. There was a lot of favoritism going on and there was no one to go to about it. Rules don’t get followed by anyone. The bakery and deli managers are extremely rude. The establishment is unclean. There are so many horrific things about this store location, there is not enough time to even explain. The store should ultimately be closed.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Fresh Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight