The Fresh Market Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,430 reviews matching the search See all 1,451 reviews
Check out boy
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAApril 2, 2018
This was my first paid job and it was a great place for a high school student with little experience to start at. The team and management were very friendly and the company promoted a very organized and accessible work culture.
grear
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 31, 2018
This place is a great atmosphere to work in. They will help you with whatever you need and work around school schedule. They wont let you down and will stand by their word.
Lack of leadership and empowerment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaMarch 30, 2018
You're never encouraged with this company. Instead of focusing on one's strengths they constantly hammer down on your weaknesses. It's harder than ever for advancement due to them taking in Winn Dixie's ex-employees and with-holding promotions of current Fresh Market employees. My health insurance policy had a $12,000 deductible and my yearly income was just barely above that. The investment company that purchased Fresh Market is mainly concerned about making the company profitable through any means necessary even if it's to the detriment of it's own employees.
Pros
Good place to gain management experience
Cons
Poor leadership, sinking ship
Great job
RETAIL SALES MERCHASIDISER/TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 29, 2018
Management,customer service. Productive and fun. I really love my job, the customers, the employees are very good workers. I really enjoy my job and the customer is top notch.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Pay
Typical cashier position
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 27, 2018
A typical day as a Fresh Market Cashier is to greek customers, ask them how their day is going, see if you can help them in any way throughout the store and check them out when ready.
Decent place to work
Night Deli Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southern Pines, NCMarch 26, 2018
I enjoyed working here until the cons started to outweigh the pros.
Low income, high stress
Stressful work conditions and coworkers and weak managers
Behind in the times
Grocery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 25, 2018
The Fresh Market was a nice store to work at. The management was dreadful, and did not have any intentions to develop or mentor employees for future advancements. The overall culture was one that managers would not lift a finger to help. The hardest part of the job was literally no modern point of sales system. All product was hand ordered.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
poor management
April 5, 2018

We appreciate and value your feedback. Engaging in conversations like these allow us to identify gaps and helps us improve every day.

It's important to us that our team members' comments are given the respect and time they deserve. If you’re comfortable, we invite you to provide more feedback at GLResponse@thefreshmarket.com

My experience at FM
Demo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blythewood, SCMarch 25, 2018
The fresh market was my first job that i went to when i moved from new jersey in May 2017. I was the demo and it actually was a pretty decent job. I would go back if I needed to, but my only biggest problem and also a good thin in my case was that, the management never really stayed on top of scheduling me, so that mean i could com in at any time or days lol. Of course just moving from another state not doing anything, i took that to my advantage and did up to 40 hours almost every week. When they finally caught me, they started to cut my hours. Now i was okay with this but when school came back into play for me around Sept, they started to act real funny with my hours so I had to kinda choose and of course school is the main goal than a temporary job but overall, it's just management, but not a bad place to work at all.
Pros
relaxed in demo area/ free food you cook/ samples
Cons
management/ hours
High energy job dealing with great customers and products.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 25, 2018
Had a great time. Give the effort and get the benefits. Treat any job as if you own that area and want to see it succeed. Must have a customer engaged mentality. Customers were very easy to deal with because they were mostly rich. They didn't care what it cost. They wanted it, they wanted you to be attentive, and they wanted you to thank them in the end. Product was the absolute best quality. People loved shopping there. The previous owner allowed you to run the store as your own but following his guidelines. I understand the current regime runs it like a grocery store which truly it is not. I came from that and I know the difference. It is a job, not all jobs are run by great people like me.
Pros
Great Product, easily attained f/t benefits, and fair retail pay.
Cons
You will for the most part work very hard and the hours will be retail hours.
Easy going, low stress
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 24, 2018
The job was very laid back, management was very willing to help you succeed and advance. There were not too many tasks associated with the cashier position.
Its ok
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAMarch 19, 2018
The company is ok i really dont have much to say it's good for me cant speak for no one else i been there 6 years i have nothing bad to say about the company
Pros
Discount
Cons
No bonus
April 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your point of view. We appreciate your feedback.

Steady work. Excellent food market
Asst. Manager/Front End (Former Employee) –  Mandeville, LAMarch 16, 2018
I worked there for 4 1/2 years. Generally good managers. Hard work.
Focused on customer service. Good experience and great customer
retention. Holidays are stressful, but necessary for Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons. Very busy and stressful at those times.
Sell out to corporation ruined this company
Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Nags Head, NCMarch 16, 2018
Corporate cares only about the bottom line. Not customers, not employees, not quality. Only money. It wasn't like that when I took the job. But when the owner retired and sold out to corporation all the good things about this job went out the window.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Management clueless about employees needs. Do not support them to do their job well.
April 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are a customer-focused company, we never want to put business ahead of our employees’ job satisfaction. We want all of our teams to be open and cooperative with each other.

If you feel comfortable discussing this particular situation further, we invite you to email us at GLResponse@thefreshmarket.com

Bad management
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 16, 2018
Worst place I've worked by far. The front end management consist of immaturity and bullying. Worked there for a few years and witnessed multiple people quit due to bullying. The managers play favortism and if they don't like you, you will be treated poorly. I Highly don't recommend working there!
Pros
discount, laid back, no rules
Cons
short breaks

Gave Ones only because ZERO wasn't available
Delicatessen Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 15, 2018
The Benefits were catastrophically bad leading to my spouses hospitalization. Inappropriate and unethical behavior was rewarded while hard work and dedication was not recognized.
Pros
Store was located conveniently to my residence
Cons
leadership priorities were misaligned with the mission of the company
April 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Engaging in conversations like these allow us to identify gaps and helps us improve every day.

Terrible Work/Life Balance and oldschool mentality upper managerment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NYMarch 14, 2018
The schedule starts on a Monday and would be posted Sunday night for managers. Asking for specific time off was often received with ridicule. Upper management had been with the company for a long time and felt these practices were acceptable because they endured it. Upper management typically only promoted managers that were from their home stores. Store morale was the worst I have ever seen in any company I worked for and I worked in multiple locations for the company (not by choice, they forced me to cover short staffed stores).
Pros
Cons
Work/Life Balance, benefits, Low employee morale

My summery for Working a The Fresh Market
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35242March 14, 2018
Working at The Fresh Market for the past two and a half years was a great experience. I've learned so much about the life of a Deli Clerk such as cutting and weighing cold cuts of meets and cheeses to prepping Salads of all kinds. The over all physical work is at times tedious but enjoyable, however management should have been a little better. theirs a culture of "me vs THEME" most of time between Department workers and Management.
Pros
better pay, more respect to employees as well as customers, hour breaks need to return
Demanding Management with no support
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 13, 2018
The Fresh Market was a reliable place to work before preparing to sell the company. At that point, a lack of supplies and support made it difficult to properly perform the duties that were expected.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Unsupportive management

Poor Upper Management
Regional Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  AtlantaMarch 12, 2018
Constant moving target and knee jerk reactions mad it difficult to lead your staff. Continued changes from week to week and decreased job stability. Used to be a fantastic place to work when I started but steadily declined once they went public.

Poorly run company
Assistant Meat Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 12, 2018
If you want to work for a company who doesnt appricate the hard work you do day in and day out then The fresh market is the place to be.
Poor management
Managers have favorites no one is treated equal
Very unorganized from corporate down to store managers
Lack of commuincation across the board
Will hire unqualified workers just to fill jobs
Most workers dont care how they perform their duties thats if they do them,
Can see why this company was rated one of the top worst companys to work for from New York Times
Pros
20% discount
Cons
pay
March 15, 2018

We would be interested in continuing this conversation. Please contact us at GLResponse@thefreshmarket.com so we can understand more about your situation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Fresh Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss