The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

Stressful and unsafe
COC Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  McFarland, CAAugust 12, 2018
Working in a prison brings its own unsafe environment, staff should follow policy and procedures to ensure the safety of the staff, daily cross paths with other staff saying they need to get out of there, paid unfairly and low wages, management sees things that go against policy and disregard it. Disrespect and high demands to do other peoples job duties.
Pros
no weekends
Cons
safety, management not following policy
Over work, under paid.
Food Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 9, 2018
Not given enough resources succeed.Limited work force, not able what I was paid to do. Had to do too many other peoples jobs.Good People, just a lot of burned out staff, 50-60hr weeks.
duties
Alcohol and Drug Counselor (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, MSAugust 2, 2018
Escorted inmates to and from cells, court, hospitals and medical appointments.
Received and inspected mail, property and funds from visitors on behalf of designated inmates.
Determined and assigned inmates to appropriate housing.
Arranged for medical and dental care of inmates.
Collected and preserved physical evidence, photographs and laboratory submissions.
Carefully documented statements, observations and evidentiary materials.
Conducted interviews with witnesses and clients.
Interviewed and interrogated suspects.
Prepared case reports from allegations, interview transcripts of interviews and physical evidence.
Kept current on all agency and state policies, rules, regulations and statutes.
Pursued leads, complaints and referrals to determine occurrence of criminal activities.
Overwhelming
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Thornton, PAJuly 31, 2018
This job is very overwhelming and requires a lot of your time , You get mandated every other day literally so you’re either doing 12 hours or 16 hours and have return back to work in 6 hours for your shift. If you start after the New Year begins you don’t get a holiday for a whole year you would have to wait until the following year and only receive 7 sick days , the pay is horrible for the position. Free food but is made from the inmates.
Pros
I guess free lunch
Cons
Almost everything
Pay
Commissary Manager (Current Employee) –  McFarland, CAJuly 31, 2018
I enjoy my job and I love what I do. I am Canteen Manager and I feel that we should be paid better because we do work in a prison environment and we have to work around these inmate at anytime our life could be in danger.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
The company should pay better.
Very Professional Working Environment
Director of Staff Development (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 29, 2018
The GEO Group, Inc. is a very professional work environment with sound and applied Core Values. As a 30 year veteran of this industry I am very impressed with this Company and its' Leadership.
Pros
Professional and Value driven.
Unprofessional workplace culture
Correctional Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 27, 2018
The Geo Group, Inc. has a high turnover rate and does not provide support to their employees. The hardest part of this job is working in a very stressful and dangerous work environment.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Dangerous work environment
The enviroment was poor.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 27, 2018
The overall job was very hard due to a high volume of call offs which lead to an overflow of work. Too many managers and or supervisors that would literally yell across the office about the same thing over and over. With extremely poor management and control over the employees.
Pros
The concept of the job is nice.
Cons
No one shows up for work.
Cut throat high school
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hinton, OKJuly 26, 2018
PROS: Great pay, decent benefits.
CONS: UNDER STAFFED ALL THE TIME, HUGE TURN OVER RATE! You won't receive any vacation/PTO until you have worked there for a year. Very high stress level. New drama with staff all the time. Very childish staff, everyday is something new. Not enough time to complete tasks, you get pulled in different directions which interferes with normal job duties. Be ready for the most stressful, demanding job every. Be ready to stay at work whenever they need you. Very hard job when you have a family or life outside work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Cut throat environment, No pto/vaca, stressfull
Productive work place
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJuly 25, 2018
It’s a detention facility which house people in transition to becoming United States citizens. Has shift work for all three times of the day. Place is very well maintained and the staff take pride in their work.
Pros
Many
Amazing Leadership
Officer, IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Folkston, GAJuly 23, 2018
This agency provides an encouraging environment throughout the facility for advancement and leadership opportunities. Willing to invest in its employees
Pros
Company Culture
Cons
Working Hours
Under staffed facility with great ideas...on paper.
Education and Prevention Counselor (Current Employee) –  Marienville, PAJuly 22, 2018
The facility would be awesome if the management wouldn't use their people like machinery. The management plans to mandate workers to cut costs in insurance and compensation taxes. They put a very small percentage of their gains back into their workers as well. They do provide decent benefits and have an excellent 401k policy. they match half of what you put up to 3%. The rates keep doubling for the insurance for the last 2 years, which I didn't mind because my wife had government benefits. The kids are pretty non aggressive and the management does a great job at maintaining the safety of the facility. If anyone gets hurt, its because it was their own fault, and did something they shouldn't have.
Benefits
Cons
Very stressful schedule.
It is a prison
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, AZJuly 22, 2018
It is a prison. It comes with stress working in a correctional facility is not your everyday job. There are risks and stress that can take a major toll on an individual.
We have volley ball games, water ballon day and many more
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2018
My day consist of helping the residents to fill out their activity sheets. I like working with all my co-workers. We enjoy playing games and competing against each other. We always have a gathering for a co-worker birthday or just because the CEO wants to buy the employees lunch for the day. We have ice cream day, breakfast day, pie day, water melon day, donut day, free lunch day from our CEO. We have a lot of fun at this job. The job is hard if you make it hard, the job is not hard. You have to manage your work load according to your day. Everybody gets along well with each other.
Ok for someone with no expenses
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2018
Can't afford to live and work there. Got promised promotions and raises, never happened. So short staffed. Underpaid and extremely underappreciated. They reward bad behavior.
Had fun while working
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 19, 2018
Typically a good day with just helping out the regulars who had disabilities everyday. One had to be quick because everything and everybody were constantly moving. Manager was an easy-going guy who was very polite with us
Pros
Get to eat more than regulars
Cons
Food portions were limited to the workers
geo
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Lovejoy, GAJuly 18, 2018
Training is basic that is not really job specific. CPR training is not Red Cross certified. You are just a body with no touch or contacts that will hurt the client.
Lots of pros and cons
Correctional Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 14, 2018
This place has a lot of pros and cons. You work hard you get paid more. However there are a lot of operators who can be petty and childish. Sometimes I feel I am in high school. However its a job you can count on. Nearly unlimited overtime. Flexible shift schedules. Management wants to work with you. However the attendance policy is strict. Make sure your coming to work and that you don't plan on calling off much at all. You could work there for 10 years and get fired for missing to much work. Also this company has a high turn over rate so be careful and keep your nose clean and this place will take care of you.
Pros
Free coffee, Free popcorn, Pto, good upper management and HR departments.
Cons
Health care is expensive, not a great team work environment on some shifts, Strict attendance policies.
Horrible Work Culture
Employment Specialist/Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
The culture is very secretive and biased. Management overworked subordinates and workload was very unbalanced. The working environment was very unsafe and the compensation was too low. The only paid holidays are Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Pros
Cons
Horrible culture
Great working environment, ability to assist returning citizens
Re-Entry Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2018
GEOgroup helps the criminal justice population I work with make behavioral changes to reduce recidivism. We work with adults returning to the community from prosion. Very satifying work.
Pros
incentive/rewards budget

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GEO Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.2Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight