The GEO Group, Inc.

The GEO Group, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States1,839 reviews

Found 1,839 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,874 reviews
inmateprisonofficercorrectionalwardencorrectiondetaineefacility

Fantastic organization to realize a career in corrections

Featured review

The GEO Group, Inc. selected this as a representative review
GEO hires the highest qualified correctional professionals. Their mission and vision statement are based on high expectations in care and treatment. Their compensation is competitive and the overall experience for the professional is satisfying in a field where there is a need for great corrections professionals! Their training is based on evidence based practices and this like GEO is very unique! Their practices are golden and their applications are endless!

Pros

Great culture. Satisfying work.

Cons

None.

Poor culture and Management

Management inconsistency,poor mgt structure. Poor work culture, poor pay. Lack of structure in some departments. Poor IT support in terms of receiving new equipment and repairs.

The GEO Group, Inc. insights

Based on 1,098 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Way to much overtime and corrupt and unfair supervision

We were lucky if we only had to work 12 hours a day and you never know where you are going to be assigned. We were chewed out at the beginning of every shift and the supervisors were always outside smoking, and if your not in the clique you are nobody.

Worst place to work

Terrible, avoid at all cost. No one knows what they're doing. Getting time off is near impossible. The amount of gossip and backstabbing is unreal. Most toxic work environment. Internet doesn't work 95% of the time. Equipment is archaic. Pay is low but job duties never stop being added

Terrible Place to Work

Worked at New Castle Correctional Facility for almost 10 years....... DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT WORK HERE. They will drive you in the ground and leave you there..... Heed my warning.

August 8, 2022
The past few years have been challenging on employers. While we understand work/ life balance, GEO is committed to maintaining a workplace that is safe, secure, and humane. To do this, we must ensure proper staffing at our facilities. Sometimes, due to call-offs or vacancies, employees must work overtime to meet this commitment. We thank you for what you have done to help us achieve our commitment.

Stressful work environment

You come into work not knowing if you will get a break or not. Also you have to watch two dorms most days . You cant use the phones. If you have a emergency the Lt have to decide if its good enough to let you take the call and leave.

Low Pay

Don't waste your time. Low Pay. Underappreciated and overworked.. Your life will not get better. Inexperienced employee that are only needed to fill a void. Dont think your lucky cause you get hired..

August 8, 2022
GEO has a robust training program for staff at all levels of the organization. Training includes classroom learnings, practical exercises, course examination, and on-the-job training. To provide our employees with the most up-to-date training materials, online courses, and training reporting, we use an internal, online Learning Management Systems that is available to employees 24/7 and includes self-guided courses and reference materials.

San Diego let me tell you

Pay was good, there was always overtime, but I was always mandated on my overtime days which was annoying. Supervisor for night was unfair and trash. The work environment was toxic. Your own coworkers would be gunning for you, if you weren’t in their “group.”

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Over worked and toxic environment

August 8, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We are sorry that you felt the management staff was not supportive during your employment with GEO. We will make sure to share this information to the appropriate individuals within the organization to address this concern.

Don’t waste your time

From the warden down to Officers..this place is a joke! Almost every officer is dirty, or they are just old and messy and act likes they running the show. Stay away

August 8, 2022
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us about your employment with GEO. We are sorry that you did not find your time with us mutually beneficial. We will ensure that your concerns are provided to management for review.

More pros than cons so far

Hours kinda suck but have a pretty good team if you're willing to work as a team and take constructive criticism. Hard to work with kids but also rewarding. It's honestly not as bad as the reviews

Productive office with amazing coworkers

I enjoyed my experience working for Geo, meeting my co-workers, and growing through them to be a better IT Technician. My co-workers and management were very helpful whenever I had issues with a call and needed assistance with a problem.

July 18, 2022
Thank you for providing your feedback. We strive for all our employees to have such a positive employment experience with GEO.

productive place

Their compensation is competitive and the overall experience for the professional is satisfying in a field where there is a need for great corrections professionals! Their training is based on evidence-based practices and this like GEO is very unique!

Pros

everything

July 18, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share about your employment experience at GEO. We believe that work is more than a place you go every day. It is about being inspired and motivated to achieve extraordinary things. Thank you for your time with GEO.

Fun place to work d get along other officers.

Good place to work. Please be aware of manipulation from the inmates and don’t fall into their victim hood. Most of them are okay to work with but there’s always the weird ones.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Too much overtime

July 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your employment experience, so others can see what comes with working for the industry’s global leader in evidenced based rehabilitation. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Not the best

Much favoritism . Management micromanages. Reactive instead of proactive. Only benefit is pay… watch bosses they like to mandate you then remove meal penalties you are to be paid BY LAW.

Productive and fun

Nice place to work. Great schedule, Communicate well! Needs updating! Provides great care to detainees. Try it yourself! Would recommend for employment.

Eh

Supervisors are bound by upper management. Pay is good. The atmosphere is not. Mandatory overtime due to staff shortage. Upper management run supervisors in the ground unless they brown nose.

June 16, 2022

Good pay Time off no respect overall good job

This a very good paying job. Some great people to work with. Some lazy back stabbing. If you want to make a great check and have a few good benefits this is the job for you. You must not wear your feelings on your sleeve. Most jobs are easy physically but can be mentally and sometimes stressfully challenging. Overall not a bad job but in general you are just a number. Great off time with PTO and sick days. 401k match

Pros

Great Pay. 401k. Time off. Experience

Cons

Insurance high. Mentally stressful only at times

To many cons to out weigh the pros

The demand on staff tends to get out of hand.The supervisors don't pull all the facts before yelling at you.The constant turn over of staff makes it hard to keep up with your work when it all lands in your lap to take on.

Pros

Pto

Cons

Supervisors and ridiculous work expectations

Team player

Lost of ot, great pay as long as you do your job you’ll have no issues, can be like high school but stay out of the rumor mill you’ll be good, I think the management does their best with the hand it’s given.

June 16, 2022
Thank you for the positive comments. Its employees like you that make GEO a success. After all, it is the combined talents, skills, knowledge, experience, and expertise of every one of our employees that make us who we are.

Geo

I love working for because you can work a lot of hours and they have some mean supervisor I love working in the kitchen I worked from 2:30 til 11:00 that was good hours for me

June 16, 2022

I worked at GEO for 13 years.

I worked at GEO for 13 years and was able to promote to Assistant Business Manager. I loved my job, but it a very political business. It's a shame at 56 I had to start a new career all because of politics.

June 16, 2022

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GEO Group, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The GEO Group, Inc..
Powered byComparably