The George Washington University Hospital

The George Washington University Hospital Employee Reviews

Registered nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2019
Very dangerous place to work as an RN. Terribly understaffed throughout the hospital on a daily basis. I would never go here myself or allow my loved ones to get treated here. Experienced nurses would never stay long as they know their licenses could be in danger. I am very nervous everyday I go to work as I already know it will be understaffed and dangerous assignments will be given. I am currently looking for a new position elsewhere away from the bedside after my experience here. I pray every day before coming into work because I am very scared.

The turnover rate is outrageous. Nurses are leaving within a year of being there. Any day of the week your nurse may have 3 months to two years experience only as any nurse with real experience would know not to stay as it’s dangerous trap. Do not work here
Pros
The metro
Cons
Everything else. Pay sucks and so does management
Do not work here as a RN
RN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2019
I worked L&D but I know this applies to most of the units. The nurse patient ratio is dangerous and terrifying. Management/Admin cared too little and focused on what nursing was doing wrong instead of the fact that nurses had to work with too many patients, no breaks, broken equipment, supplies not stocked. It was a very punitive environment. If you have to call out because of illness or family emergency you are treated horribly and its a mark against you.
Pros
higer pay than other hospitals in the dmv
Cons
horrible work environment
Challenging and Fast Paced
Multi Skilled Technician (Telemetry Technician) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2019
I worked on the heart floor for twelve years and there were many opportunities to interact with the physicians, students, nursing students, patients, and family members. There was always something new and exciting happening on our unit and so many new skills and techniques to learn. If you showed interest in a technique or wondered why a patient had to have things in a specific manner, the gold team, heart physicians, would explain and some would even give to you their pager number to call them if there were any changes in their patient's condition during your shift. My favorite part about being an employee was the family atmosphere amongst those of us who had been working on our unit for years together. We had an opportunity to learn and grow, so we knew about each others' families and personal goals.
Pros
team work, flexible schedule, trainings, learning new skills, and enhancing skillset
Cons
no to little opportunity for advancement, management, no parking
Job
Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2019
Was a great place to learn due it being a teaching hospital and learning ability. Yrauma center with help to getting hands in skills better and upgrades the life saving skills as well.
Great place to work I really care about the workers
Patient Service Specialist Washington DC (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2019
I would definitely recommend working at this Hospital lots of room to grow and become better at what you're doing paid holidays work appreciation days and also great food for the workers.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
SR ADMISSIONS REP/REGISTRAR (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2019
While I was happy to work here, unfortunately, management relies on the words of employees who might have ulterior motives. They don't seek the truth. A lot of favoritism.
Pros
Ability to work overtime
Cons
To clickish
Productive and fun workplace
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2019
My experience as line cook at The George Washington University Hospital was invaluable, as it taught me to work independently managing inventory, preparing orders, all while ensuring exemplary customer service. I balance my responsibilities timely and effortlessly.
Pros
Free food, Healthcare
Cons
None to mind
Productive and awesome coworkers
Full Time/Part Time RN (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2019
Working at GW hospital in the nicu is challenging and rewarding. A typical day consists of Assessing and planning patient care. IV and Cardio-respiratory monitoring, rounds, and communicating with parents around the clock.
The hardest part about this job is adapting to changes on an hourly basis. The workplace culture is diverse and knowing that you have a made a difference in the care of parents small precious babies is breathtaking.
Pros
Teamwork, Flexibility, discounted meals and Ceu's
Cons
Staffing and meetings
Fun and productive workplace
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2019
On going has growth potential. Will recommend. I enjoy working at George Washington. Time for change of environment. I really enjoy the team of doctors and nurses.
My Best Laboratory Job
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2019
Through different committees, I learned the details that made my job more interesting and rewarding. In the Customer Service Excellence Committee I learned skills to deal with different situations and defuse situations between patients and staff. I learned how to listen to problems, examine evidence, and reach solutions based on my findings. These experiences will eventually help our management to create policies to avoid these situation from repeating. In turn these policies will make us more focused in our work to better serve our patients.
In the Laboratory Safety Committee we worked closely with the Laboratory Safety Department, and our job was to evaluate laboratory equipment for safety and efficacy. We were also made aware of the many risks, both chemical and biological and will work close to our supervisors to enforce regulations to make our workplace safe and accident free.
Pros
It was a learning experience every day
Cons
Lack of job security, as the hospital laid people off frequently
Great environment!
Level 2 Fieldwork (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2019
I completed my level II OT fieldwork in the outpatient facility at GWUH. I worked with both Neuro and Orthopedic patients, treating a multitude of diagnoses. I worked collaboratively with the PTs and SLPs to provide consistent and appropriate therapy to our patients.
Volunteer Chaplain
Volunteer Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2019
No compensation. On-call during evening hours, 3-4 days weekly. Limited to no job advancement potential. Good workplace culture. Limited collaboration among staff members.
Pros
Helping the needy
Productive work environment
Retrieval Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2019
Working in medical records was the best. I learned a lot. Met lots of good people. Doctors, lawyers, police, and patients. We had to send records out based on HIPPA.
Worst Job Ever
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2019
Working at GW was stressful, they wanted us to do endless work for very little compensation, I dealt with racism my last few months in t the kitchen with the mangers, I reported it to Hr but nothing happened. I had to leave GW before they tried to get me out of there it a very posin environment, I do not recommend any one to work for that organization!
Great staff
CLINICAL SUPERVISOR - LABOR AND DELIVERY (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2019
The best part of working here is the staff. Your co-workers are the best, they help get you through very busy shifts. Not a great work life balance.
Pros
staff
Cons
nurse patient ratio
Patient Registration Clerk (Orthopedics) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 24, 2018
This hospital is innovateve and on the cutting edge of cancer research. They have great doctors and has a great working culture. They care for their staff and most of all their patients.
Pros
Employee health
Cons
none that I can think of
Organized New Graduate Nurse orientation
Intensive Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2018
Started here as my first job as a nurse from College. They had a great nursing orientation that was very organized and helped bridge the gap between nursing school and working in an Intensive care unit. Staff were so helpful and eager to teach what they knew. Management was easy to reach and talk to.
Cons
short staffing the unit
Very political culture
Mother/Baby RN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2018
Great place to work as long as you are low key. They do not like people that go against the grain too much. They want everyone to mind their P's and Q's
A very nice place to work
Clinical Nurse Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2018
I currently work on the hospital's busy labor and delivery unit. Despite the hospital being very busy, the doctors are really attentive, the standards.
Take a chance
Rehab tech (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 7, 2018
Working here wasn’t so bad the pay could’ve been better for the lunit work load ... the manager on the unit was very rude she didn’t care about nothing but herself an awards that could be won

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The George Washington University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The George Washington University Hospital Reviews by Location