The GIANT Company

United States1,989 reviews

Found 1,989 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,990 reviews
storegrocerycashiercustomerassociatedelicustommeat

Never get full time

they will ask you to work 60 plus hours and get worked to the bone but when you ask for full time they say no but keep using you. this is a great part time job for hs kids.

Not worth the time and effort

Morals and goals of the company have changed greatly over the 10+ years with the company, from a friends, family, and local community first view to a straight corporate profit gain view. Over the years they've significantly reduced the amount of full time positions making it very difficult to move up in the company. They've also done an exceptionally poor job compensating pay for tenure on their long tenured employees. It's very common for a brand new high schooler to make more than someone who's been with the company for years at the same position. Hours can be scarce for part timers with as little as 12 per week. Employee benefits require a minimum of 32 hours a week per year to qualify for. Paid vacation and personal holiday time is very limited for part timers. Sick time is only for full time associates and only 40 hours per year. Covid vaccines are not required and pay loss for being out with covid is not compensated and must use any Vacation, personal or sick time to be paid. There is generally high levels of petty drama, gossip, and favoritism in the stores at all levels of employees. The company does not exercise the ability to fire at will, but will try to strong arm associates they don't want into quitting by giving unfavorable shifts, jobs, and hours cuts. The company at several stores tend to not follow all laws for both gas stations and beer and wine sales. And even push for associates to ignore certain laws and safety regulations in those departments on the grounds of keeping the customers happy and to make the sale. Overall wouldn't recommend this company for -

Pros

Easy to get hired, good starting job

Cons

Little care for associates of tenure, hard to move up to full time, toxic work environment

The GIANT Company insights

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

As a driver they expect you to work 14 hours a day

If you’re looking to do this job as a driver look elsewhere. You’ll start out nights and weekends and work that for about 6 to 7 years the pay is good but not for the trucking industry. You will be expected to work 14 hour days and they will call you constantly to work on your days off. Management is a joke they couldn’t care less about you you’re just a warm body in a seat.

Work is work.

When you try to move up in the company it's always something that gets in the way .And you're always back to square one. They don't have enough people and the manager is cheap. You find yourself doing two jobs and getting paid for one. You say something to her and it's like No I can't give you a raise Even though you're doing two jobs.

Pros

Flexible time.

Cons

They're not up to date with the cost of living.

June 19, 2022
Thank you for taking time to share your insights. Our teams continue to evaluate staffing solutions to provide the best possible customer experience, while also ensuring all team members feel supported in their work. If you have any additional insights or recommendations to share, please reach out at betterfuture@giantmartins.com to continue the conversation.

It's a good spot to work at if you have experience in customer service

It's a nice spot. Employees make you feel welcome. Managers and employees are wellrespected. And the customer service is very easy to provide. It's quite easy once you spend a week or two learning the ropes.

June 19, 2022
Thank you for taking time to share your insights. Please continue to share your feedback, and thank you for all you do!

Productive and Fun Workplace

Being a cashier is hard work but it pays off in the end. I have a lot of fun working with my vi workers. I enjoy moving around to different departments in the store.

Good First Job

Great place to work with nice people and hardly any trouble from customers. Nice first job and I would love to work there again. Coworkers are always there to help if needed.

June 19, 2022
Thank you so much for reaching out. We aim to provide a welcoming and inclusive environment, where all team members feel heard and valued. We appreciate you sharing your great experience!

Solid Job

It was a nice little job to have, I worked there for 10 months however and I even as I accepted new responsibilities I didn’t get a raise. The pay is lacking but hours are flexible.

Decent place to work but there are some problems like everywhere else

I worked as a Deli Server and it is your typical job you cut meat, clean, and help the customer. The only bad part that left a bad taste in my mouth is that during the summer rushes the grab and go's are impossible to keep filled up do to how many costumers come and take a whole row of lunch meat or cheese sometimes. By the time me or my co-worker would finish up refilling a row two more would be empty. I understand it is managements job to let people know that they need to get something done but when we are refilling everything as fast as we can, and helping costumers you think they would be more understanding. Overall great people and place to work wish management was a little more understanding, and helped out with rude costumers as well.

You know the old saying... the mule that pulls the hardest gets whipped the most.

Middle management at the stores I've worked at is pretty good. Store level managers are for the most part nice people but most are idiots.Text book examples of The Peter Principle.Some are down right deceitful, and selfish. 2022 COL raises just came out. Part timers got 35 cents an hour across the board. Doesn't matter how hard you work, or how seriously you take you jobs. Kids that stare at their phone for hours get the same as people who actually do something.So for me that 35 cents means about an 2.5% pay increase. No where near keeping up with the rpice increases at the very store I work at. Given I'm a part timer, which 90% of Giant employees are, its about a 7 dollar a week raise.

Pros

Because of the poor hourly wage they are so desperate to get people to work there, its almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

HUGE disparity between management wages and hourly wages.

Good co workers but horrible pay and advancement opportunities

The overall work environment and tasks are boring and tiresome, nit difficult or too much, but extremely lacking and makes you feel extremely bland. The co workers and coaches are extremely friendly and helpful, but the pay is horrible and makes you feel it’s all meaningless.

Decent company

Giant is a good company to work for overall. I do feel the pay could be more competitive but otherwise I really don’t have any complaints. Would certainly recommend for getting your feet wet.

It is an entry job

Honestly, corporate cares nothing about food safety protocols, but comes down on associates and managers constantly while ignoring core issues. Staffing is a joke at best, plus with the pay, and high school/college age rotation - if you're older and willing to work you'll have consistent hours for all the call offs. Terrible rotating door of employees that management and corporate ignores. Zero incentive to actually care (it is retail after all) unless you like your department manager and coworkers. You can easily get along with everyone but the store managers on any given day, which is impressive. Store manager will actually tell you thanks, but then say you don't care about your job - to your face - if you ask for a FT position. PT will often work 40 hours easily and have no option to gain FT - but they will crack down on hours constantly and expect 1 person to accomplish the job of 3 when it should be 4 staffed for some departments normally.Good job if you want to kill time, not worth it for the bills.

Pros

Good dept managers who are willing to work with you

Cons

lack of career growth, positions, low amount of pay, corporate is ignorant

fine entry level

Management was fine because I became friendly with some of them. Due to the close knit relationship I was able to get raises based off my work ethic but without them it never would have happened.

Great depending on store and staff

The giant company is a great place to work. The store and management you work under have more pull on the overall worth then anything else. I have enjoyed my time for the company but it has changed in ways that do not suit associates of the company or management staff. Deliveries are not on time, labor is a constant issue, and the corporate office often seems unwilling if not helpless to address store lvl issues.

Pros

Great people, good jobs, fair wages, negotiable wages, carrier development, good benefits

Cons

Impossible odds to overcome, unclear business practices, customer service, lack of corporate and management support, bad comunication

Meh

People and managment don’t really care about the individual person and schedules are often hectic. Although for a full time student the hours can be flexible.

Paid weekly

I feel like this company treats me better than any other job I've had, I've heard others have had it a little rough but there's been no bumps for me. Managers are nice, your requested time off is given even if they're short staffed, and the pay is weekly which is also a plus.

Coworkers with no work ethic will drag you down

The biggest issue here is management plays favorites and lets some people get away with doing little to nothing, while those who actually do work their behinds off are constantly told their not doing enough.

Fun productive work place with great manager suport

This was the first job that made me feel like i mattered. The company did a great job on showing us appreciation during the pandemic. The employees were very nice and helpful.

Pros

Good management, good pay, great co-workers

Cons

Advancements are minimal

Reasonable work load, unreasonable lack of respect

The staff and employees in the departments where I worked were extremely disrespectful and had no respect for the company rules.Grudges we're held towards me for minor mishaps which is against employee policy.

Management sucks

Will pay $11 an hour and expect you to express your most sincere gratitude for the opportunity. Management does not care about scheduling within your availability and deliberately schedules against it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The GIANT Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits