The Grand Healthcare System Employee Reviews

Family
Adult Day Care. CNA (Current Employee) –  Rome , New YorkJune 6, 2018
I have worked in many departments over the years, i have learned from each one. Many of the residents that I/we take care of , think of us as their family. The best way to take care of someone is to get to know them and what each one needs. In turn they ask us questions, and will often ask " how are your children/grandchildren?" " I missed you yesterday, where were you?"
As for the Administration, you can talk to them anytime. The building has been completely remodeled, looks very nice. The owners do come in , they also talk to you ., At times cracking a joke.
There are people that put down this workplace, those are the ones that did not get their way, or got caught doing what they shouldn't As with any place of employment, you get back what you give. It can be fast-paced, it is what you make of it.Just do your Job...
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Barnwell in Valatie is a very troubled facility
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Valatie, NYMay 26, 2018
New Administrator (since 01/18) is very skilled. New owners(01/18) are penny wise and pound foolish. Staff underpaid and all departments understaffed. Staffing is a revolving door. Barnwell does not have a good reputation in the Valatie area.
Pros
Beautiful country to see while commuting.
Cons
Too many to list: underpaid, understaffed, cliques with staff who have worked here a few years. Like 3rd grade!!
Boring place to work keep u on the same thing
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYMay 24, 2018
I wouldn't recommend any one to work at the grand in valatie NY I worked in the kitchen and they had bad attitude it sucked they write you up for nothing rats in the kitchen the cna's leave the residents unintended
Pros
Free lunch if u dare eat it most of the time it was left out of the cooler all nighr
Cons
Short breaks unpaid
Wonderful place to work
Admissions Director (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYMay 21, 2018
I have been with the Grand at Rome for a few years now and have worked in two different departments. Your co-workers help you grow and learn as an employee/person. I do not have any plans to leave this company in the future due to the level of team work and support from all positions. Working at The Grand is engaging and rewarding.
Pros
team work
not reccomended
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYMay 2, 2018
I worked for the grand of Rome. they were absolutely awful. very under paid and under staffed and over work their workers. The higher ups are rude to people below them and nothing gets done about it
Very active emplyment
Unit helper (Former Employee) –  Chittenango, NYApril 24, 2018
The hardest part of the job is trying to not get attached to the residents. I was on my feet 7 and half hours. I transported, cleaned rooms and served meals. the management was disorganized and not friendly but I looked passed that. I was paid well, and great benefits. your also, in an union.But the union rep was not nice and did nothing for you.
Needs NY state review
LPN (Former Employee) –  Ny state lApril 5, 2018
If you would like to treated poorly and be rushed this is the place for you. Director of nursing is fake and rude . The patients do not get the care they deserve, the Cna’s don’t care , they act like they work in a factory and show no compassion. Very sad place .
Cons
Very supportive and interesting place to work
Management (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 22, 2018
I have worked at this facility for 38 years and with The Grand Healthcare for the past year and a half. I have found that there is much support at the corporate level and a real concern for the residents in our facility. The building is being remodeled and looks very nice. The care for the residents is very good, so when it was time for my mother to be placed in a nursing home, she came to my facility. I could not have asked for better care for her. Everyone who came in contact with her became part of our family. She was safe and well cared for and that is all I could ask for. I really enjoy working here and find if you do your job, you have no issues.
Nothing good.
Staff (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYMarch 20, 2018
Management and staff from other "Grand" facilities are very "clicky"- extremely unprofessional. There is no appreciation for dedication of hard working employees. This is a very cut-throat, toxic place to work.
Excellant place to work
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  GuilderlandMarch 12, 2018
I have been employed by The Grand for a year and a half. I love my job! I have had other offers and choose to still work here. The staff is friendly, and the residents are wonderful. The ownership really cares about the employees and the residents. I have seen lots of positive changes since I started working here. I have also brought a few of my friends along. You could not ask for a better place to work.
Work where you feel valued.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 12, 2018
Since The Grand Health Care System took over as consultants, more progress has been achieved in a year than in the last twenty.

Remodeling has begun, new equipment, corporate support and training have been implemented.

There are the same challenges here that every facility faces, but the team in Utica is working hard to make it better every day.

Every staff member is appreciated and everyone pitches in to help wherever they're needed.

The residents are overall well cared for and cared about.
Pros
Team work, pride in making residents and families happy.
Cons
Finding enough qualified staff
Very fast pace job with many responsibilities and multitasking is a necessary skill.
Laundry Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 27, 2018
My typical day consists of receiving and sending deliveries, distributing linen and clothing for the entire facility that includes residents, therapy, and nursing assistants. My responsibilities also include interacting with residents and their family members to insure we are providing them with the best services and taking care of any complaints regarding laundry department.
Pros
free lunch, half hour paid break
Cons
healthcare and benefits
The Grand at Rome
Grand Employee (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYFebruary 26, 2018
I have worked for the same company for 10 years now. I have had the opportunity to work in different departments thanks to the support from management. The company is very big on helping it's staff succeed through in house promotions and available job opportunities. The long time staff have a wonderful sense of work ethics and are always willing to help each other succeed and provide the best care for their clients as possible. The residents are happy and their needs are met as quickly as possible, no matter what department their requests are made to. The new renovations have given the facility a much more "at home" feel as well, and they are continuously updating all around. I have enjoyed my years spent here working for the Grand in Rome and will continue with the company for many more to come!
Potential
CORPORATE PURCHASING AGENT (Current Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 22, 2018
The grand is a company with Great potential to become one of the best in their field. They have plenty of talented and awesome individuals who work very hard and are very dedicated. they do however have some bad apples who mess it up for the rest of the staff.
Great care, very good to their employes
Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitestone, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Its a great place, all they care is about giving their residents the best care and making them feel like they are in a 5 star hotel, they put in a lot of effort to make it a fun experience.
as an employee i can say, they really go out of their way to treat their employees above and beyond
Its not a fun place to work
CMT Technician (Current Employee) –  Campbellsville, KYFebruary 8, 2018
To much fartisom for the nurses. Rest of staff lost their bonuses for working over time so they could raise nurses wages from 2 to 5 dallors more hourly.. Director of nursing only cares about the nurses. It takesthe whole staff to care. for the elderly not just nurses when we got our new director of nursing everything began to change he only cares a out the nurses
Pros
Non
Cons
Many
No humanity at all
CNA (Former Employee) –  Chittenango, NYFebruary 6, 2018
This place has no compassion for their workers or their residents. Nurses are only allowed between 5-8 minutes to get someone out of bed, washed, and dressed and down to breakfast everyday. Residents do not get attention they thirst for. And if you try to have some face time with them, you are scorned for wasting time. I loved the residents I took care of and visited in secret everyday. I say that because if they are not on your rotation, it is seen as a waste of your time to visit or talk to them.They have a bogus point based call in system. You are constantly being mandated so you have no time for family, and they don't care. Even if they say you are a great employee, (which never happens), you are treated like trash. If the residents like you, you will be under a microscope because higher up's will wanna get rid of you. There are clicks in the place. Favoritism galore. People in no supervisory roles, who think they are able to tell you what to do. And if you do not comply, they tell their manager friends and then your life is made to be so hard in return. And if you do not get your charting done in time you are reprimanded. The higher up's have no idea of how hard you work because they can never be bothered enough to come see what it is you do. Unless the state is in, then they are everywhere trying to make it seem like they are that way everyday. And that is also the only way staffing is halfway acceptible. Most of the time is it one or two nurses per wing.This is a horrible place, for employees and residents. All that is cared about is money. As soon as a resident passes  more... away they are in a rush to fill the bed without giving the resident's friends or nurses a second thought about their feelings. Run far, and run fast if you are thinking of working for this company.  less
Cons
The whole experience
Horrible
Cna (Former Employee) –  PawlingFebruary 3, 2018
Always short staffed, no team work, older cna's do not treat new cna's nice, constantly mandating people because of schedule issues, short staff, and cna's do not get recognized like they should
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
No team work, short staff, rude peers, constantly mandating people
Don't work here
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Toxic environment. Don't bring a loved one here either, please. Bad pay, mostly bad staff, nasty co-workers, and some bad supervisors. I was treated horribly here by most of my department, and not treated any better by other departments.
Pros
none (well, free food if you dare to eat it).
Cons
Everything about the job
Need to close down
LPN (Former Employee) –  Valatie, NYJanuary 29, 2018
Very under staff and don't pay u if u do all the work. it's nasty rats and molds. the patients don't get enough care. management don't care. cnas lazy lazy.. ghetto. supervisors nasty. one nurse for a floor and sometime one nurse to two floors. run run run run.
Pros
free parking
Cons
short staff low pay