The Great Plains Laboratory Employee Reviews

Great Place to work!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 27, 2018
Company is an excellent place to work. Plenty of opportunities are available to move up. Company has grown much larger and their are many manager and assistant manager jobs. The key to becoming a manager is to become an expert in your department so that you are qualified to manage it.
There are many reviews that criticize the lack of opportunity to advance but it is necessary to be someone that can be trusted as a manager in order to get promoted. People that cannot be depended on to come to work or people who think they should never have to work overtime or any extra hours in a crisis are not going to be promoted. Those willing to go above and beyond and who know their jobs inside and out will.
The workplace culture is friendly and relaxed with a nice work/life balance. Overtime is fairly rare but as the company is growing it may occasionally be required. Managers generally work some extra hours as needed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the company is able to make a difference in our clients lives and everyone that works there is part of that mission.

If you want a good opportunity to make a difference and you are a hard worker you will enjoy working at The Great Plains Laboratory. If you are negative and not dependable then you may not like it.
Pros
Monthly company lunches, friendly co-workers
Cons
Some stressful times as company is growing
Amazing environment, wonderful company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSApril 13, 2018
I love working here. Everybody is friendly and helpful, and the management is the best I've ever had! I am so excited to be a part of a rapidly growing company that listens to its employees.
Pros
Work/life balance, Relaxed environment
Management is horrible
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSApril 4, 2018
This company has the potential to be great but those in charge are preventing greatness from happening. The people put in charge are aggressive, confrontational, and are given training roles that they cannot fulfill. This causes confusion and for work to be done incorrectly but those in charge of training quickly point the finger at the worker making the mistake instead of trying to improve their training methods. Management does not appreciate the work its workers do and are surprised when they start to burn out from too much work with lack of training.
Cons
Disrespectful management, no advancement opportunities
Making a difference in peoples lives!
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 30, 2018
Management has always made the time to listen to me, or any ideas on tasks or projects. Given me constructive critique or redirect me when appropriate. I have had some managers here that have not handled situations appropriately, so yes no one is perfect, but we learn and grow as human beings and co-workers.

There is going to be drama, politics,or bad managers, regardless of any place you work, why not make a difference in peoples lives, children lives, lives of families?

The hardest part of my job is not having enough time to get everything I want to get done in day. :)
Pros
Making a difference, great staff to work with, great variety of tasks to be done, never bored!
Great company to work for
Confidential (Current Employee) –  LenexaMarch 21, 2018
Employees at GPL are proud to make a difference in the medical field. They pay above market average. As a growing company, there are challenges, but work / life balance is a core value and most employees will truly not work more than 40-45 hours per week. Being a family owned company, you feel part of a big family.
Pros
Free tests for employees, great bonuses
Cons
Sometimes lack of communication across departments
Great Company, but management is taking it down
N/A (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 11, 2017
This is a great company to work for, but watching family members taking it to the ground by insisting on keeping family in management roles even if unqualified, it's heartbreaking.
Pros
great colleagues, good benefits
Cons
management
Managment is horrible ,friendly working enviorment
Specimen Accessioner (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJuly 26, 2017
My co-workers were helpful. The doctors did not talk much but were very intelligent and resourceful. The management was poorly guided judgmental and disrespectful. The culture was very diverse. The hardest part of the job was completing task dealing with the position but being asked to stop to complete take of a maintenance technician and various other non work related things asked from management. Management spoke as you were beneath them and took no accountability in their wrongs
Pros
free testing, once a month lunchons
Cons
disrespectful managment
Fast Pace work enviornment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSApril 26, 2017
The Great Plains Laboratory is a specialty laboratory that does testing for patients who have mental illness, autism and other chronic health conditions.
Pros
friendly coworker
good entry level position
Medical Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJuly 25, 2016
I'm not sure if the management team has changed since I left, but when I was there everyone was very supportive and professional. It was a fun environment to work in.
Pros
free lunches frequently ordered from local restuarants
Productive and Family Oriented Company
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 8, 2016
The Great Plains Laboratory is a great place to work, that offers both valuable experience/professionalism in career development as well as family like atmosphere to grow as an individual within the scientific community.
Fun workplace.
INTERNATIONAL MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 4, 2015
It is a family and fun environment to work in. It is a good place to work but no possibilities of advancement.
Management is not very helpful.
It is understaffed, but the people are very nice.
Pros
small workplace
Cons
no advancement
Professional and Secure Work Place
QA/QC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 11, 2015
The Great Plains Laboratory is a great place to work and learn what it takes to make a career in the Diagnostic Testing world.
working for GPL
Medical Records/Specimen Receiving staff (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 6, 2015
I have worked for GPL for years and am proud to say this company makes a difference. Watching desperate families get answers to questions to help their sick children become healthy again. Helping adults with chronic diseases find answers when conventional physicians mask the issues and not address or find the true cause. The employees at this company make the family atmosphere enjoyable and respectable, with continually changing in growth and volume. I worked in all the departments at GPL and most of the other employees have had other roles in other departments as well. Employees who have been here longer than five years do move into management roles, and continue to grow. Personal growth and professional growth is important to me and GPL as well. Education is supported and encouraged for all employees to help make a difference. Some people have left with bad experiences, but I can tell you this is a company that cares and listens to ideas and concerns from employees when expressed to management. Give GPL a chance.
Pros
making a difference in children and families needing help
Caring toward clients, employee activities
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 20, 2014
I worked with The Great Plains Laboratory for a year. During this time, it became evident how passionate the employees are about the work they are doing for patients. The environment is casual and friendly, and the HR department especially is open to hearing what you have to say and any concerns you may have. The company also provides monthly themed lunches and different holiday activities that encourage all employees to be involved.
Pros
Sense of community
Really Easy
Shipping & Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 26, 2014
Free to work at your own pace, once you learn the different kits its easy sailing. Get an hour long lunch break, plenty of near by places to eat. The people are really friendly and easy to work with they provide good health benefits as well.
Pros
full benefits
Cons
little/no chance for advancement
The last place you would like to work for
Public Relation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 24, 2013
I have been working there for years, and I have to say the management is such a hell in a so-called high-ending laboratory.

As a family-owned business, you will expect little space to be promoted in the company, as most managerial positions are occupied by the family members even they don't carry a soldiery degree for the job. Their relatives can talk on phone for personal stuffs for hours at work, and if you dare to make a complaint to someone, you will be doomed with a second.

If you would like to see some magic turnover rate for staff changing, this is the best place to observe, because some people will leave this hell within a week after being hired.

If you are looking for a good appreciation for what you have done for the company, don't even think about the lab, because they will never ever do this. NO RISE, NO BONUS for ANYONE except for their family members.

Politics is way much important than how well you have done your job in this company. You must trust nobody in order to survive the environment. They will check your Facebook, LinkedIn and other SNS for all your personal activities, so they are worse than NSA even!

I'm so glad that I no long work at that place, and I wish you good luck if you want to jump in the hell!
Pros
fake-friendly environment everyday
Cons
eveything
Official response from The Great Plains Laboratory
November 26, 2014

At The Great Plains Laboratory (GPL), we firmly believe that every employee impacts our mission and makes healthcare better on a daily basis. We appreciate all feedback given, but the comments made above were simply not true. While we are a family owned business, it is a strong part of our culture to extend that concept and include all employees in our growing GPL family. Almost all of our managers have been promoted from within, based on merit. Our employees participate in multiple company events, including our holiday party at the end of the year, monthly lunches to celebrate employee birthdays and anniversaries, as well as company picnics. We train and develop employees in their current roles and prepare them for future challenges in different roles, through tuition assistance programs and internal training with more senior staff members. All of that is reflected on our below average turnover rate and employee retention, which is equal or better than other laboratories.

Our compensation policy is competitive and we constantly review salaries to ensure that all of our employees are rewarded for their results. As a growing company, we have often been able to give bonuses at the end of the year to almost all our employees. We work hard but are one of the few companies that truly strives for work / life balance for all our employees. As an employee who started here almost ten years ago and has grown with the company, I can honestly say that I am proud to be a part of GPL.

Making a difference is gratifying
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  SZAJanuary 24, 2013
I have over 350 physician accounts that I manage on a daily basis. I enjoy working with physicians and helping them implement our business into their own. I work on a team of three, and also work hand-in-hand with the sales team. I travel to conferences throughout the United States.
Pros
travel throughout the united states to conferences
Cons
sometimes work days are not long enough