The Harker School Employee Reviews

free lunch - great people
HR Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 3, 2019
Small group of very strong and influential women. School is a great place and provides great academics and culture. Cafeteria was always on point and always served something different.
Pros
free food, people, nice environment
Cons
felt disconnected
Great place to work at
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 14, 2018
It was a great place to work at everyone is super friendly! My overall experience was great highlly recommended. the benifits were great and the whole harker experience is very positive.
Productive, Fun, and Collaborative
Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 8, 2018
I had so many coworkers that were helpful and supportive to me adjusting when I first began the job. We had a very set routine and everyone was very fast at taking initiative in our duties, including myself. Lunch and a short snack period was provided everyday, and myself and coworkers were generous to each other in bringing shareable snacks ourselves. My manager and supervisor were very understandable in terms of my duties as an employee and how very approachable if I had any issues. I became accustomed to making my own lesson plans for swim instruction, I was prepared for any medical situations, I learned to assess and encourage campers in the daily activities, as well as provide a safe environment for them.
Pros
Lunch and snack provided everyday
loved teaching
Teacher/Aquatics Director (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2018
I loved teaching at my school. I decided to retire early, and moved to the mountains. I miss the students and staff tremendously. Teaching is a wonderful profession. I am looking to work part time now. I have a ton of experience with multi-tasking, working in groups, and communication.
Pros
culture, great staff, great students
Fun, keep you busy job.
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 26, 2018
The kids constantly kept me busy so I was never having down time to slack off, paid very fairly, All the upper management are very nice and easy to talk to.
Pros
Free Lunch, Good pay
Cons
Fun place to work with amazing coworkers
Healthy choice cook (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2018
The harker school was an amazing place to work, the best part was the staff. They all helped make work fun while still being productive. There was also a lot of encouragement to be creative with what was being served.
Not too great
SUMMER ACTIVITY LEADER (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 4, 2018
won't advance up unless you're a teacher. faculty doesn't matter. Sick time only. Can't really become full time ever if you are on their rec staff. some departments better than others
amazing students / very motivated
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  elementary school teacherMay 31, 2018
I have adored being apart of this community. They are my family and I will miss this school tremendously! The students are excited to learn, and that is so fun as a teacher!
Pros
oh gosh, lunch. travel, very supportive
Productive, Fast paced, work environment
Culinary Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 29, 2018
A day at Harker is amazing! No complaints and the staff and teachers are amazing! It feels like one big family and I would recommend the company to everyone!
Pros
Free Meals, Great work environment, Great staff/peers
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 22, 2018
As a substitute, my first years were good and I appreciated being called 2-3 times a week. On my 5th year I was being called pretty much everyday. Several teachers would request me, especially the PE Teachers, and also the Spanish teachers. The students also enjoyed having me as their sub, perhaps because they remember me from their elementary school days. Harker is a K-12 school and it is separated in 3 campuses.
It was sad to have to say goodbye, since we are moving to Texas.
Pros
Great Atmosphere and 5-star free breakfast and lunch
Great Community
Attendance Officer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara County, CAFebruary 4, 2018
If you like High School students this is a good place to work. Its a fun supportive community, with pretty good job security. Typically department members are good at stepping in for each other when workloads are heavy, though you do have to be prepared to multitask and efficient in order to get the work done
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Health care options are expensive
Great Overall Employer
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 4, 2017
The best part of the job is being involved in educating the children, to see these young people progress from K to 12 is a very gratifying thing, indeed.
Pros
Free Lunch, 401K
Cons
Communication
groundskeeper
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 6, 2017
*provide grounds keeping of school class rooms, rest rooms, offices

*being a school I have learn the goods and the bad of how to treat any issue depending on the nationality

*no hard part of my work environment I like my job

*what I like about work is that staff and students treat me as one more of their team and that they appreciate what I do for them as a employee of Harker
Pros
free lunch, vacations pay time off
Cons
n/a
Staff (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 25, 2017
People who work here seem to be really happy. Teachers are nice, fair and really try hard to give a great experience for the students. Front offices are warm and helpful.
Comfortable Work Environment, Very Little Professional Development
Senior User Experience Designer & Website Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 13, 2017
Pros
Flexible work environment. Low stress. Freedom to make your own mark in your niche. Good benefits. Great academic staff.

Cons
No real path for professional advancement or mentorship. Poor compensation if not in academia.
great place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 24, 2017
only reason i'm leaving is because my wife and i are relocating to sacramento area. it was a great place to work working with teachers and kids was alot of fun.
Pros
everyday was exciting
My life at Harker
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2016
!. Typical Day: very busy in the OofC. There is never a job to small that we would cover.
2. What I learned: to proofread, to design top quality, to never say no...
3. I had an amazing boss. Always gave me the chance to learn new things and take on larger projects.
4. I had amazing set of co-workers
Enjoyable part of my job: Getting to work with some amazing people!
Pros
Free Lunch, Great Benefits, Amazing people
Cons
money is on the low side
Plesant and fast pace work environment
Kitchen Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 9, 2016
The usual day would begin with the prep for the day and cook what we needed for service. After service we would clean the kitchen and prepare for the next day. Clean the kitchen once more and then organize for the remainder of the scheduled work time. The quality of food was disappointing though because 70% of the product was frozen or prepackaged.
Nutritional and sustainable food, knowledgeable staff and friendly faculty
Intern Advisor/ Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 30, 2016
You would think cooking for kids would be a pain, not at Harker. With a vast food budget these people take their food seriously. We made food from many different cultures using local ingredients and limiting our food waste. Prior kitchen experience is a necessity this is no collection of cafeteria ladies, these are trained industry professionals from all over the world. they know what their doing and each bring a different set of skills and mindset to the job. It was a great experience and I highly recommend it.
Pros
Free lunch, paid vacation, great benefits
The Best Summer Camp
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 26, 2016
I absolutely loved working here because it's like one big family and you get to work with kids doing a different agenda every day. You have your own group with another person and you get to create games and activities for the kids to do.