The Hartford Financial Services Employee Reviews

Found 1,026 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73132September 23, 2017
At the beginning, Hartford was wonderful, new and exciting. After a year of work the company made the decision to close the office and send eveyone home to work remote. It was ok but no more for advancement.
Pros
Able to be home with children
Cons
Not able to advance in the company
Lots of driving
Vehicle Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 23, 2017
After 10 years I retired in 2014, job can be stressful at times. Most days I drove over 250 miles as my territory was all the river cities from Laughlin, Nevada to Lake Havasu City , Az.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Driving
Needs better management
Consumer Markets HOME & AUTO CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2017
Benefit of working from home but hours were from noon to nine pacific standard time and working every other saturday from seven to three pm pacific standard time. Old system, no manager assistance, built to punish employees using resources confusing practices of pushing quick pace call after call while desiring lengthy personal interactions.
Summary
Small Commercial Customer Relation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
For a call center this one is pretty strict and when it comes to family matters, they don't care if it is an emergency, they expect you to work. I wouldn't recommend working here
Very competititve pay but very cut-throat environment
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
The people at the company are great and very hard-working and dedicated but I don't believe that management gives the employees that same sense of security and dedication to it's employees. Home office employees are treated much better than field office employees so there tends to be a disconnect. Other than that, they do compensate nicely and have nice incentive awards.
Lack of organized management in the Ocean Marine Department
Senior Ocean Marine Underwriter (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 18, 2017
Lack of structure, policy forms, depth of knowledge for all territories cripple productivity.
They are new to the industry and are not prepared for the long haul.

Ocean Marine is not an established product sector. They don't have enough expertise other than claims to withstand the market fluctuations.
Pros
Flexible about working from home
Cons
no investigataions on false allegataions, lots of gossip very little work
Fun place to work, very busy
Customer Service Representative/Account Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Typical day is answering phones all day, 100+ calls, talking to insured's, agents, brokers, peers, etc. Making changes to policies, billing, renewals, endorsements, cancellations, etc. Management was great! Also trying to keep employees happy. Very employee concentrated. The hardest part of the job was leaving it. The best company I ever worked for. Lots of perks. Loved all the people and the work.
Pros
Lots of interaction with all employees
Cons
None I can think of
Outside Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 18, 2017
I worked for a manager who retaliated against me for being right about something. She asked me if I thought I really fit in there and made every effort to make me feel like I was an outcast. I talked to several of my teammates which were producing similar numbers based on our production goals and they did not have the same experience as I did. We were all adjusting to a new claims handling model and we were all having issue but I was singled out.
Pros
Good vacation time allowed
Cons
Claims handling model
Company left okc
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 17, 2017
This company has been in business for over 200 years and let us know that we were going to be closing the Okc office and that we could find another job if needed.
not available
Property and Casualty Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2017
not interested in giving a review.
stressful, poor management and lack of communication towards their employees. not recommended for anyone who wants job security.
Stressful place to work
employee (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 15, 2017
The Hartford is a very stressful place to work. They create multipaged functions that you are required to learn. They do not focus on your good points. They focus on your bad points. Praise is occasionally. Complaints are more regular. When you receive a great review your raise is 2-3%. When you receive a regular review your raise is 0-1%.

The only good thing there is the vacation time.
Pros
good vacation time
Cons
pay, job description, advancement options
Great place for the younger generation
Senior IT Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 14, 2017
Pro's of working for The Hartford: industry standard pay and benefits, decent work life balance.

Con's of working for The Hartford: lack of advancement for current employees and most managers have a 'Pace-setting' leadership style.
decent workplace
Licensed Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 13, 2017
no advancement opportunities, high stress with little to no reward for extra hard work. good positions are given to people from other locations and there is no hope to move up unless you move to another state
Quantitative, fast-paced.
Manager (Assistant Director) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 13, 2017
Daily meetings were focused on primarily production and how to push direct reports to produce more with an increased turnaround time. The content of the work demands a high level of quality to ensure compliance with regulatory standards but balancing those demands with the increased production expectations was very challenging. My direct reports were very advanced and experienced analysts and were in fact manger-level employees.

When able, I participated in settlement conferences and assisted the law department in dispute resolution. This was an area of expertise for me and a component of my role in which I excelled.

Over 9 years of management taught me many things, primarily that managing people is less about being a subject matter expert and more about understanding people and their respective personalities and how to exploit strengths and minimize weaknesses.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work remotely and although the position did require long hours there was flexibility during the day and evenings.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Stress
A Broad Financial Services Company
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 12, 2017
The Hartford has devoted a great deal of effort to be a leader in work/life balance. Since it is a multi-line insurer, there is never a lack of interesting things to learn and problems to solve.
Job Advancement
Senior Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 11, 2017
Great atmosphere with incredible teammates. great work life balance and opportunity for advancement. involved with many charity events local and national.
Pros
work/life
Cons
compensation
great management and knowledgeable employees
Bond Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 10, 2017
The employees are all extremely driven, knowledgeable and willing to help when needed. The work life balance at The Hartford was tremendous, and they treat their people with dignity and respect.
Too busy, understaffed and lack of management
Short Term Disability Abilities Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 7, 2017
Not a pleasant experience. I was lied to during my interview. The position that I have and the position/working environment that was "sold" to me during the interview process are not the same thing.
Pros
flexible work hours (can work any hours as long as 40+ in work week)
Cons
Terrible management, overworked and understaffed
Work Day
LICENSED PROPERTY AND CASUALTY SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 6, 2017
If your not licensed they have a trainer who doesn't help you get your license then learn the system which they expect you to have down in 3 days, there were constant changes and I had a manager for 10 months while I was there and the rest of the time we had rotating managers with the last one being incredibly clueless to the insurance world and had us do most of his work the most enjoyable part of the job was your group huddles or what they call town hall, when corporate comes down and talks to the company then you can voice and speak with them about what is going on
Pros
Day goes by fast
Cons
Almost everything
job
Customer Service Representatives (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Rather than going hour by hour through every day, focus on a few main tasks, and describe how you go through those tasks in a typical week. Be sure to focus on duties that are relevant to the position for which you are applying. .
A good manager knows that employees need motivation to keep repeating desired behaviors and encouragement to achieve their goals. Managers can offer incentives for exceptional performance as a way to motivate employees.
culture is about the employees and making sure they have a fun and ... The workplace should not be something that people dread every day.

The hardest thing about a closing is when a client decides to make you their scapegoat

The most enjoyable part of Real Estate is to help our clients to reach their goals, whether is selling, buying or relocation to a new place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hartford Financial Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval