Play YouTube video button

The Hartford Employee Reviews

Found 1,706 reviews matching the search
Featured review
The Hartford selected this as a representative review
Fast paced and challenging
My area has a fast paced and challenging work environment. My manager is excellent at encouraging work-life balance and avoiding burn out or over-allocation of work assignments. There are times when working over 40 hours may be necessary, but those times are infrequent. There are many opportunities within The Hartford, and employees are encouraged to develop their skills both to support their current role and position themselves to move into other roles or other areas of the company. Recent changes have made the dress code more casual, with a "dress for your day" focus that allows more jeans and other casual wear in the office (within reason, i.e. no shorts and tanks/t-shirts). The Hartford has a strong focus on work/life balance. The new benefits for 2020 have increased benefits around family life including enhanced fertility coverage, adoption benefits, increased parental leave. They are also concerned about the impact of student loan debt on an employee's life so the company is introducing a benefit to help defray some of an employee's student loan debt. I am too old to make use of these benefits, but this is a good step to becoming a more attractive employer to the younger employee pool. The employees I work with have a wide variety of backgrounds and The Hartford is a diverse and inclusive employer in all areas. I have worked for The Hartford for nearly 30 years, and there have been times when I would not have strongly recommended the company as an employer of choice. That has changed, and I am happier working for The Hartford now than I have ever been. I would - more...
Pros
Good benefits: Health/Life/Dental/Vision, 401K, remote work, adoption, parental leave, student loan assistance
Cons
No reimbursement for full-time remote work internet expenses
Not very happy when I left
I started working at the Hartford in 1980, it was a great company to work for, it has changed and not for the good, they did away with all the USA workers and brought in many people from India,
Pros
Was a nice company, not to sure now
Cons
Only hire people from out of the country
The Hartford
nice place to work. Hard working atmosphere. Lots of offshoring in Information Technology department. Management is very approachable. many things to learn about insurance industry.
Great place to work with a lots of opportunities to learn new things and stay engaged. Where behavior such as courage leadership and innovation are encouraged. Management team promotes growth, development and work/life balance.
Not a bad place to work, but not a good place to work.
I worked there for almost a year and I was always encouraged by my manager and coworkers to think about what I truly want to do in life and that could include anything. So I finally figured out I wanted to go back to school, but I wanted to stay at the company at the same time if I could. I asked for part time because one of my teammates was part time because it worked for her family. However the told me it was not possible and then 2 weeks later fired me for work avoidance. I was at the top of my team for stats and did not understand why they did what they did, but oh well. My manager then had a meeting with my best friend from work the next day and told her, "well Madisyn was going to leave us anyway." SO personally they do not care for their employees like they say.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Benefits suck
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Diverse and ethical place to work
My current company is a diverse and ethical place to work.
The best part of the job is working with my fellow teammates to resolve end user issues. Most days start with working thru tickets via our ticketing sytems, connecting with end users and completing system builds via our SCCM Management console. My current company is open to remote work as well as departmental transfer to help better and help your growth within the company.
Not a fun place to work.
This is not a great place to work. Goals are unreasonable and workload tasks are unreasonable. Management lacks vision and direction which makes it difficult to focus. They take a scatter gun approach.
Embraces Change
Company is every changing and employees have to consistently be open to change. Management can be transparent depending on what are you work in. Always be ready to develop and grow yourself into other areas of the compnay.
tough place to fit in
Workplace culture is younger, mature people do not fit in easily. It is critical to meet premium commitments and agency assignments are forced. They seem to like large brokers.
Great Company
Beautiful Job to get your feet in the insurance racquet Imaginative company on the rise Corporate Benefits, learn to work with HR and Sales Sell our product which is easy because it sells itself Open office space, friendly staff Learn to sell to big firms
GREAT company and work culture
Would work there again in a heartbeat! Spent 2+ years as an off-site consultant and loved it. Teams were easy to work with and projects were productive and satisfying. Highly recommend!
Flexible
Management is always available throughout the day for any advise or any special issues. The Hartford culture is TEAM. We (employees) work together and have one goal in mind.
Mediocrity is the norm
This is not a place for performers, if you want to keep your head down and coast this is a great place, there are no goals and your performance will not be measured. If you are looking for a challenge you are better off going elsewhere as you will not be given the tools needed to succeed.
The Hartford claims they pay for performance. What this really means is only the top for you get bonuses and there’s a lot of favoritism
The Hartford claims they pay for performance. What this really means is only the Rated people get good bonuses and there’s a lot of favoritism. The Hartford bell curves and managers are required to rate people poorly even if they are good performers. Upper level management asked us do you speak up but when we do we are rated badly People are fearful at the Hartford culture is not going
Work at home but long hours
Nice to work from home but NCM workload high, requires more than a 40 HR work week to complete. Customer satisfaction always trumps employee satisfaction. The company goal is to get the best customer survey reviews, not to keep employees feeling like they are valued. Some nurse's have half as many files as others but if questioned, this is due to company needs, not about how the company can make the workload more fair. All calls are recorded, e-mails and Skype conversations can be read by managers. If you want to be micromanaged then you won't mind this environment.
Pros
work from home, good pay
Cons
Team lead supports company not her team
Long-standing company, great company to work for, great co-workers and managers.
Great company to work for, coworkers and managers are great in helping you reach goals both personally and professionally but not much room for advancement.
Good company but many drawback
It's a good company that promotes work/life balance while not actually providing work/life balance. I had to deal with some health issues & contacted their Hartleave program, I was given the wrong information & paperwork. Managers gossip about their employees to employees.
The Hartford
The Hartford is a company that is focused on costumer service, diversity and inclusion and also on the community and giving. They provide the tools and resources needed to excel in your performance
Flexibility
The best culture, and it's genuine. The people are phenomenal and the working environment is amazing. People spend their whole careers here for a reason.
Na
A lot of inconsistency as far as policies go. Managers need to get educated on the system more.when it came down to needing a manager on the phone , no one wanted to take the call and didn’t care then if customer was on hold long .
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to learn new skills and applying those skills to solve business problems.
I love coming to work mainly because of the people, culture and the opportunity to learn new skills. It’s a very friendly work environment. The people are very helpful if you need information or support in a particular area.

Upper Management listen to employee’s views and suggestions if appropriate. They provide employees with the tools, training and great work/life balance to succeed on the job.
Pros
Great benefits, remote work and excellent training opportunity
Cons
Extensive Security Measures
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hartford. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Hartford.