The Hartford Employee Reviews

Found 1,473 reviews matching the search See all 1,503 reviews
Honest Understanding
Customer Relationship Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 15, 2019
The Hartford is a great place to work if you love insurance and want to grow in the insurance industry I would strongly recommend it. But if you do not like insurance or you are unsure about it, I wouldn't recommend working there because it is very very very demanding when it comes to getting what insureds and agents need. It is a high paced job and though the benefits are great, when you don't actively see yourself working in the insurance field it doesn't really help. This job is not easy, but again, if you see yourself in the insurance community it is an excellent place to work. But it is not for everybody.
The Hartford is top notch but be prepared to work for not so much money
Senior Claim Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYJanuary 23, 2019
This company is run properly by people who know the business and it seems that very few people ever leave unless they retire or they pass away suddenly (unfortunately). The only issue with this company is they do not pay enough and the bonuses are scant. I guess they don't have to since no one really leaves and everyone seems to be satisfied with the 30-40% more work you get saddled with during your 10-12 hour day and weekends.
Pros
Working remotely, management is on your side
Cons
Pay, long long long hours
Good place to work if you have the right manager
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJanuary 5, 2019
The Hartford is a good place to work as long as you have the right manager. They offer great vacation time, good pay, remote work. I have found if the manager like you, you will go places. If not the room for growth is minimum. The use to be lots of flexibility for work/home life for people who were not on the phones but that seems to have gone away
Pros
Remote Worker, Vacation Time, Pay
Cons
Poor flexibility for home/work
Hartford is a fast pace environment with growth opportunities
Bond Operations Manager - Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLDecember 6, 2018
I worked for The Hartford for twelve years. Beginning at an entry level position, I was giving learning & growth opportunities to learn the business, work/life balance and decision empowerment. The most difficult part of working at The Hartford was networking as many departments are siloed. The most enjoyable part was helping others develop and achieve their professional goals.
Pros
growth opportunties
Cons
difficult to network
Great company to work for
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 21, 2018
It's a great company to work for but very regimented and goal oriented. Great from a Management perspective perhaps but can be cumbersome and sometimes a burden to frontline sales force, who need a measure of autonomy to succeed.

Weeks start out with Monday meetings discussing in small groups of reps and a Regional Manager our Sales and marketing strategies for current and following weeks. Tuesday through Friday were more often than not spent on the road seeing a minimum of 4 Insurance offices per day throughout the State of WA. Geographical mapping and Potential Sales opportunities were coordinated for maximum time management and success.
Pros
Good training, very set program with name brand recognition
Cons
Pay is just average
Collaborative work environment with a focus on work life balance
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 27, 2018
A typical day of work depends on your working style. There are people who work from 7am to 7pm, and other who work from 8:30am to 4:30pm. The company values your time and there is a strong culture of working hard and leaving when your work is done. They treat employees very well and have a good compensation package. The workplace culture promotes collaborative work and projects. Lateral movements are common and encouraged. Recent acquisitions have given an uplifting sentiment in the office about the future prospects and is a vote of confidence from management.
Pros
Work life balance, promotion opportunities, geographic flexibility
I worked with a great group of people. Nice culture
Sr. Executive Assistant to CFO (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 28, 2018
The Hartford was a great place to work for the most part. I really enjoyed my time there. Every day I did something new and different. Once day was always filled with tasks different than the previous day. I learned alot about working collaboratively. The culture was very relaxed and the people were a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Get a laptop
Productive, fun place to work, made many life-long friends
Senior Service Annuity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 16, 2018
I started off my position in the call center fielding 150-200 calls per day in regards to life insurance and annuity products. I learned a lot about investments and basic computer systems. I learned how to be flexible and had great training. The hardest part of the job was turnover. Being in a call center I spent many hours training in new hires only to have them decide this was not the position for them. The most enjoyable part of my job was the team morale. The management provided great encouragement and made sure to have 2 events per year to keep their employees engaged. I was also promoted rather quickly.
Pros
Full cafeteria downstairs, allowed to work 4 day weeks, (10 hour days) which reduced the number of call ins and helped team motivation.
Cons
None to report
productive and family oriented
Senior Auto Property Damage Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 2, 2018
Working for The Hartford is invigorating. They care about work family balance. The management is approachable and if you have concerns they are there to assist. The people will make sure you succeed and if you need help will help.
Pros
family oriented, Pto, approachable management
Cons
enough people to do the work
Hartford is undergoing huge change and no role is safe
Sr Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  CTOctober 20, 2018
This is a company looking to get as much work out of as few people as possible and no position is safe from elimination. You will be required to keep a log, time tracking everything you do to prove you are very busy every minute of every day, very stressful.
Pros
Pay was average for the roles in the area
Cons
Task time traking logs, always looking to eliminate roles
Not a hard job and well paying
Call Center/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 21, 2018
It was basically answering phone and directing customers to their adjusters after pulling up their files. I just couldn't work there anymore. People always called cause of a death, a tree falling on their house something happened to their car and it was the only mode of transport they had. It was hard to not take all that sadness home with you. You have to be able to havdle that kind of stuff to stay here.
Pros
Great hours, pay and enviorment
Cons
depressing circumstances
Exciting and Changing Environment
Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 18, 2018
There is a balance of project style work with rate reviews. They provide a great deal of training.

I have had mixed experiences with management. I've felt micromanaged at times while at other times not given enough coaching. This largely depends on the leadership and supervisor assignments.

With in PL the culture is great as far as the experience I've had. The Hartford supports team building and collaboration.

It's been tough to acclimate with the frequent changes however there are always available opportunities for growth.
Pros
Coaching, Benefits, Job Security, Culture
Cons
Decision Making, PTO time
Don’t do it
Claims (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 14, 2018
Want to advance? This is not the place for you. Attempted to grow my career multiple times without success. My reviews were exceeding / exceeding and yet, still no advancement. Unless you’re willing to spend 50% of your day kissing up to people in other groups, you won’t get anywhere at The Hartford. Jobs are so redundant and my team was negative. If you’re a high achiever, this isn’t the company for you. The fake reviews here are sad... HR should spend their time more wisely. I attended a leadership “advancement” course (funny right) and they said come give The Hartford a 5 star review! No thanks, instead I put in my 2 weeks and took a better job with a more respected company.
Poor Management
Small Commercial New Business Underwriter (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 12, 2019
Awful management team. Culture is very exclusive and the management team is not very friendly or accepting of those who are not "like" them. Treating employees who are not similar in race and age very poorly.
Pros
average pay for professionals
Cons
management unwilling to work with employees
January 14, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. As a company committed to cultivating an environment and culture where all employees feel valued and respected, we take feedback such as this very seriously. So we can look in to these concerns, we ask that you consider providing more specific information through the EthicsPoint Reporting Service.

Ethical Company for Customers, not so much for Employees
Reinsurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 13, 2018
There are a lot of positive like work/life balance and nice facilities. However, while The Hartford wins awards as being an ethical company, they do not always carry those ethics through internally when it comes to Human Resources and Employee Relations dealing with unethical employees.
Pros
Good people, work-life balance
Cons
May allow unethical practices towards employees.
September 14, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. As a company committed to cultivating an environment and culture where all employees feel valued and respected, we take feedback such as this very seriously. So we may look in to these concerns, we ask that you consider providing more specific information through the EthicsPoint Reporting Service.

Risk Engineering
Risk Engineering (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 8, 2018
The consultants are great, despite the Directors/VPs.
The Directors love drama and over-ruling their managers. They don't make decisions themselves but defer to levels below them, then second-guess them. That way they never have to say no to consultants or HO staff - make the managers the bad guys. And forget about the employee survey - an entire office was let go except one consultant, due to bad "anonymous" reviews. Not sure why this isn't considered an unethical work practice.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Directors and VPs are terrible
September 14, 2018

Claims Adjuster
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Hands down the most negative job I’ve ever had. Big brother type management and culture. You will be scrutinized for everything. Claims is not a place to advance. You’ll work at least 45+ hours a week and still be behind. Case loads are unrealistic and you’re always given way more than you should handle. Negative work environment and miserable colleagues.
Pros
PTO when you’re allowed to take it
Cons
Pay, benefits, claims leadership
Great Company
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 7, 2018
PROs
Huge company, lots of room for movement or a maybe complete career change
Although your direct manager may not be ideal, there will be others you can go to for mentoring or advice
Usually flexible with time-off
Some locations have free parking, low-cost gym, cafeteria, and coffee bar/s

CONs
Down-sizing, lay-offs, and office relocation
There are opportunities to learn and grow, but it may be a while before you get your turn to utilize those options
Pros
Huge Company = Many options
Cons
Shrinking Company
Great company to work for, with a very good advancement program.
Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Working at The Hartford was very good, but unfortunately they change their approach, and we were having issues with micro-management and poor management.
It became harder to maintain a balance between Job Work/Life.
Pros
Excellent benefits package.
Cons
Extremely busy and hard to maintain a good quality of work.
Opportunity to learn and advance
IT Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 17, 2018
Great experience working at The Hartford in an IT organization. I left after 4 years and miss the work/life balance and great managers I had. Opportunities to learn from mistakes and grow. At The Hartford is where I discovered my true passion and what area I wanted to specialize in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hartford. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight