The Hartford Employee Reviews

Found 1,425 reviews matching the search See all 1,454 reviews
The Unit I worked in no longer is in existence
Production Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 19, 2018
Hartford is primarily a Small Business Company now. It is a much different company that when I was there, so my review is not really valid at this point.
Cas2
CAS 2 Claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 18, 2018
Great company to work for. Atmosphere was very laid back, was able to wear jeans and sandals. My Supervisor at the time was very knowledgable, kind and willing to help in any way possible.
Pros
pay, family type atmosphere
Cons
excessive call volume; responsible for handling other adjusters clients
Strong Culture Based in Previous Work History
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 18, 2018
The organization is deeply routed on previous experience. Leadership has rotated continuously, with a strong preference to those whom have grown up within the culture. Emphasis on women in leadership, but has not come to fruition.
Pros
Work Remotely, Compensation
Cons
Management, Culture, Vision
Long time ago
Insurance Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 17, 2018
I was at this company right out of college many years ago and can't really speak to what it is like today. It was a good job out of college with a good training program.
Busy, focus on processes
Senior Implementation Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTOctober 17, 2018
Very busy. Work with clients, brokers, and internal areas. Business growing too rapidly for new staff to be up to steed on position. Team Lead is outstanding.
ACTUARIAL ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 13, 2018
fun and friendly coworkers. great team building initiatives. managers are helpful and approachable. more than enough paid time off and various employee benefits.
Good brand recognition
Personal Lines Field Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2018
The Hartford has great brand recognition however they do not have competitive rates and have been very inconsistent over the years. A lot of change in management as well
Pros
salary
Cons
ability to generate new business
Work Overload
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 9, 2018
The Hartford is an amazing company that invests on quality and intensive training, provides great benefits, good PTO hours, and flexibility when it comes to work schedule. However, the work environment is too stressful. Management doesn't take their time in easing someone into the job before building up the workload. Once training is over, you are functioning at a full capacity even if you are still under mentorship. Work-Life balance is never achieved, since you will never feel fulfilled with the work you do. People always work more than 40 hours a week due to the crazy amount of workload that needs to be accomplished. Team Leaders are helpful and really supportive, other analysts are encouraging, but there is an immense amount of pressure and negativity in the work culture. There are different layers to the job. At the end of the day, you are just one person and the job is really impossible to manage. It can do some damage if you are unable to find some balance and draw proper boundaries.
Pros
Supportive Management; Great team members; Benefits; Paid holidays and PTO
Cons
Workload
Great workplace with plenty of opportunity
Small Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 3, 2018
Overall this is a great place to work. Everyone is helpful and friendly. Management cares about your growth and will definitely help you get to where you want to be professionally.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, carrer development, experienced management
Cons
lack of building amenities
Behind the times.
CRS BILLING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYOctober 2, 2018
Good company. Very behind the times with technology systems and methods are very out dated and frustrating. Turnover and retention suffers from this its the biggest negative.
Pros
stable company
Cons
everything else
Stressful Work Environment
LICENSED PROPERTY AND CASUALTY SALES AGENT (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 1, 2018
Rude customers, rude employees. Managers were not caring or willing to assist. Training was laughable. High turnaround as the model for sales was not successful.
Pros
biweekly check
Cons
everything else
Why you should strongly consider The Hartford as your next Employer
Director, Commercial Lines (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 1, 2018
Highly ethical company, recognized 12 times by Ethisphere.

Highly focused leadership that is taking this company in the right direction. I see it in the decisions they are making & the outcomes. Where we are today, and the bright future we're heading towards, are testimonies to how effective they have been.

The Hartford has always been an active community partner & it is something we’re all proud of!

HIG is really supportive of its employees. They offer a challenging work environment, flexible work arrangements, a comprehensive & I think rather valuable benefit plan. (No pension, though.) They pay a portion of costs & also contribute to your 401k & health spending acct. HIG truly values diversity & inclusion, and they are very proactive in recognizing talent, offering plenty of opportunity for development and advancement. This is a safe, welcoming & supportive work environment for everyone!

I've worked for The Hartford since 1997. I truly feel like I am part of something and make a difference through what I do, and how I do it. I know that what I've done in the past & how Hartford leverages me today aligns with its business direction & plans. This adds such incredible value to the work experience and I think it is a rare opportunity. I feel respected, sought after, for all that I bring to the table. Everyone can expect the same from The Hartford: you perform, you are valued, you are recognized, you will advance.

I am not interested in even considering a position anywhere else - and not because this is "familiar", or because this is "comfortable". It is
  more... because I am valued, challenged every day (and in the right way!) and highly satisfied.

The biggest downside to me has been working in Hartford CT itself. (Current position required move.) I do understand the need to have certain positions situated in the home office, and it is a great experience - so don't let this stop you!

I've seen a lot of lay-offs (expense cutting initiatives) over the years. That's not a con specific to HIG - it's a risk at any company, really, but bears mentioning. I will add Hartford does try to place employees elsewhere internally if there is a fit.

The decision making process has always been a struggle as long as I've worked here. HIG has tried various programs to help improve the process and make people feel more empowered but I think we still struggle here.

Settling on a decision, rather than taking reasonable risks that lead to better outcomes - that is still failure & folks lose sight of that more often than I'd like to see/experience.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Great people to work with in small office setting in NC
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 28, 2018
Headquarters is in CT and the groups in Charlotte tend to be isolated from decisions made in CT.
Opportunities for advancement are limited in smaller office settings outside of the main CT offices.
Cons
Conservative, risk-averse, large corporation
Best place to work
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 26, 2018
At The Hartford I have been supported and encouraged to progress in my learning and my career. Managers are understanding and realistic with their expectations. If any issues arise, I never feel stressed about discussing with my manager. Finally, I am compensated very well.
Great company to work for, with a very good advancement program.
Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Working at The Hartford was very good, but unfortunately they change their approach, and we were having issues with micro-management and poor management.
It became harder to maintain a balance between Job Work/Life.
Pros
Excellent benefits package.
Cons
Extremely busy and hard to maintain a good quality of work.
Great Company
Customer Relationship Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 23, 2018
The Hartford cares deeply for the employees as well as the customers. There are many perks to working for the Hartford. It is highly important to work as one big team and family and also to give superior service. We are trained to do everything possible to create ease of doing business for insureds and agents.
Not a hard job and well paying
Call Center/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 21, 2018
It was basically answering phone and directing customers to their adjusters after pulling up their files. I just couldn't work there anymore. People always called cause of a death, a tree falling on their house something happened to their car and it was the only mode of transport they had. It was hard to not take all that sadness home with you. You have to be able to havdle that kind of stuff to stay here.
Pros
Great hours, pay and enviorment
Cons
depressing circumstances
Extremely micro managed environment
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 19, 2018
On the positive side it's a very diverse environment and typically promotes low level managerial positions internally. Mostly a positive environment with friendly coworkers. Has a large bulk of PTO offered early in employment. However, the working environment is stressful and takes micro management to a new level.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Extreme micro management
Exciting and Changing Environment
Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 18, 2018
There is a balance of project style work with rate reviews. They provide a great deal of training.

I have had mixed experiences with management. I've felt micromanaged at times while at other times not given enough coaching. This largely depends on the leadership and supervisor assignments.

With in PL the culture is great as far as the experience I've had. The Hartford supports team building and collaboration.

It's been tough to acclimate with the frequent changes however there are always available opportunities for growth.
Pros
Coaching, Benefits, Job Security, Culture
Cons
Decision Making, PTO time
Depressing
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2018
I did not enjoy working at The Hartford. Expectations on sales were only attainable by intentionally ignoring set rules or by lying to customers. That is not the type of person I am.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hartford. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about