The Hartford logo
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100Average

The Hartford Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Found 1,882 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,892 reviews

Work/life balance and career growth are very important to The Hartford.

Featured review

The Hartford selected this as a representative review
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with The Hartford and would highly recommend for anyone looking to begin a lifelong career. The benefits and paid time off are significant. Salary and bonuses are performance based which gives you the opportunity to work hard and be compensated accordingly.

Pros

Flexible time off and work arrangements.

Cons

Somewhat slow in decision making.

Could not be happier!

After many years at another carrier that “transformed” its culture into a highly toxic, ultra micromanaged environment I was somewhat concerned the same could be true with HIG. Not the case. After several years here it is the best career decision I could have made. Work life balance continues to be respected. No “death by meeting”. Most are held when truly merited and are highly productive and professional, yet allow room for some banter. I have been impressed with how supportive and respectful management has been. In my encounters with senior management, they seem to be very down to earth. Quite a change from the micro management style I left behind. I have support to accomplish my goals and the reasonable amount of freedom to get them accomplished. Highly recommended.

Pros

Supportive leadership, good benefits, salary and bonuses

Cons

None.

Good Company to Work For

The Hartford is not the easiest company to work for but if you want a job with advancement opportunities and growth this company will do that for you.You are required to complete DNA badging but they have tons of opportunities to job shadow-cross train. Benefits are industry standard and pay is market value. High Stress and competitive top talent. You have to work hard to make it here but if you enjoy helping people it's a great job. I prefer the challenge myself.

Pros

Advancement opp, collaborative teams

Cons

Work life balance is tough with workload, pay is ok

Good Place to Work

Very corporate type of organization, that follows a lot of processes. Constantly required to stretch our skills on multiple projects, but it does teach you a lot.

Pros

Learn a lot

Cons

Career Advancement

good but unrealistic

I work in the claims department. The workload is insane. Unless you are happy doing tons of overtime, you will go crazy. Happy working from home and good benefits/PTO time. Good culture. The only huge con is the expectations that can't possibly be met working 9-5. Upper management really has to stop blaming it's employees for miscalculating how staffed we are. Being understaffed is an issue with upper management alone.

Pros

benefits/ work from home/ PTO/culture

Cons

workload and upper management

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

No opportunities for advancement unless you have a BA

I worked for The Hartford for 8 years in the call center, learning all of the departments, training new hires, making contacts with Underwriters, Market Managers, Agents, did side by sides with Rating/Underwriting and followed a detailed development plan with my leaders over the years. If you are looking to move into Underwriting where the money is to be paid, you best have a BA degree. Doesn't matter what it's in, you could be a florist for all they care. Time with the company doesn't matter. Just take call after call after call, but better not take too long, heaven forbid you actually provide quality service and notes. You're just a number to them.

The people are great but the micromanaging is out of control

I love my boss and loved my team when I started. Over time there has been too much focus on numbers, reports and speed of work completed rather than quality of work. I no longer feel like a valued member of the company but rather a cog in the machine.

Pros

Bonuses for high performance

Cons

Healthcare benefits, micromanaging, low compensation

Constant chaos and crisis

Unaware executives; paralyzed managers,Micromanaging and bright siding Bright siding is when lower level employees must tolerate higher level failures because you can’t tell a director they are wrong....Look on the bright side- the iceberg only hit one side of the Titanic.Slow sink, every man for himself, abandon this ship

Pros

Unknown

Cons

Too many to list

Co-workers and management are awesome but in disability the callers can be difficult to deal with. Callers are very rude and get upset when they don't hear what they want to hear.

Pros

great benefits & people

Cons

Dealing with the customers that call in can be difficult at times

Stay Away from Procurement

Not a good environment - not recommended - the department I worked in did not care about their people. i could not trust my manager or higher manager. They just do not care

Pros

Cons

work environment and culture

Jobs at The Hartford

See more jobs

Great work life balance

The ability to telecommute was a blessing! Training was provided and also acquired my health insurance license while employed here. The benefits are phenomenal. Team leaders were always helpful and the friends I acquired were priceless!

Pros

Telecommute opportunities, company events and competitions

Cons

Mandatory overtime during peak seasons.

Unprepared

No desk for us when it was time to transition, quality for calls is inconsistent. Managers are not on your side. They lied about the bonus structure. They told every new hire they could bonus up to 3k a month. After we spoke with some employees they told us that no one has ever hit 3k and the most one employee got was $1,500.

Pros

Kitchen inside

Mostly good

The culture is wonderful the pay for amount of work is nit so much so. It is more often than not your doing work your not being paid for. When your on the right team us not so bad but if ur not it can be overwhelming. Very high volume.

Pros

You can buy extra pto, the inclusiveness and ability to participate in the community .very flexible

Cons

Poor worklife balance, no paid sick time. Work load

Great pay, however very stressful

Overall lots of job advancement opportunities from what my coworkers who stayed advised, however the work load was very stressful especially if you're an introvert (lots of phone calls), lots of turn around as well.

Pros

Management wanted everyone to succeed

Cons

High workload

Great benefits,ability to grow

Every day is a chance to grow as an employee and an opportunity to improve your skills. The Hartford does offer a schedule that fits into your life .

Pros

bonus incentives

Cons

dealing with unhappy customers

Fast paced unrealistic expectations

Was a GREAT company when I started in 2004 went downhill with the change of upper management. FML’s are mostly helpful but if you can’t manage your time your toast.

Pros

Trained managers that mostly do their job to help you not get fired

Cons

Unrealistic expectations

Reorganization Fatigue

I started in the call center (don’t do it) and moved onto being in Claims. I was one of the fortunate ones who actually got out of the call center and into claims, though I’ve known plenty of colleagues who cannot advance out of the call center. If you start off in Claims and end up getting sick of it, you’re pretty much stuck. You can go to other claims departments for other lines of business, but it’s extremely difficult to get from Claims to Underwriting, Analytics, etc. If you have the leadership drive, you can go from Claims to being a Team Leader (would suggest being a call center team leader, though you probably have to work most holidays) then climb the leadership ladder or bounce around to other leadership positions. If you’re a good cog like me, you might get stuck in Claims. My department (Personal Lines Property) went through a reorganization and we lost tons of good representatives because of this. Double the duties without any more pay. When it’s busy, it’s busy. When it’s not, they add onto your plate.I will say that as a company, when I first started, it was great. They treated us very well. We had a very strong sense of community amongst the teams. After the reorganization, that’s gone. New teammates, new leaders, new manager, new rules - everything. We just went through a stressful period with this reorg and are trying to catch our breath, and now they’re talking about more transitions and reorganizing for 2022. You’re either on board or you’re miserable and getting drug behind on the train that’s not slowing down.

Pros

Fantastic bereavement policy, Diversity & Inclusion

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities or choices, Department Reorganizations

good until its not

Reduction in force seem routine. quick to let talent go and have a need a few months later - create total chaos for employees impacted. great company with great PR on how they treat people - until they are ready to toss you aside through reduction in force.

Under Appreciated

If you are under 40 years old, then they treat you different than someone over 40. I would not suggest working in SSRE. Stressful, overworked, and under appreciated. Constant reorganizations make it difficult to feel comfortable in the work environment. No room for advancement.

Pros

Some Great Co-Workers.

Cons

Watch your back.

Overall a good place to work

Overall happy but room for improvement. Management seem like a boys club and needs less favoritism. Policies are always changing which can be frustrating at times

Good Company

My Favorite aspect of the CCN position was the teamwork and great workplace culture. Least favorite part of the job was the rigid schedule, little flexibility to do anything but answer calls. Changing it up a little by responding to chat messages on the portal would serve the department well to meet employee needs.

Pros

wage

Cons

little flexibility, high phone volume

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hartford. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

77%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

87%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss