The Hartz Mountain Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Hartz encourages employees to bring their pets in.
Consumer Affairs Analyst (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 14, 2017
.A typical work day in my department consists of assisting consumer's complaints, praise or inquiries on our products.
I have learned that products come and go in the drop of a dime.
All management has a welcoming open-door policy.
Workplace culture is very diverse and from all walks of life.
Pros
Lunch and learn meetings
Cons
Not many
No leadership, lots of blame
Dir. of Supply Chain Planning (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJune 21, 2017
Little team building and engagement environment; lots of blame for failure, with finger-pointing and anyone-but-me accountability. An extremely unfriendly and uncooperative place to work.
Pros
Pet product discounts
Cons
Horrible working environment
Sorting company mail getting ready for pick-ups and deliver for Secaucus and New York.
MAIL CLERK /DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Harrison, NJMay 24, 2014
Picking-up mail from 64 department and delivered mail/packages threw out Secaucus and New York. How to operate a stamp machine and how to drive safely in New York. worked well with co-workers most of the time. Having to come back to a department cause they forgot to give me a package, which would make my timing off. Getting vice president and staff packages on time.
Pros
Eating lunch out daily, making decsions on my own and less management.
Cons
Could'nt get promoted there was'nt a hirer position to apply for.
Good business reputation, good company to develop a career
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 4, 2014
Not a bad experience. The company is big and has a corporate culture that promotes the well being of the employees. This company has been in business for close to 80 years and is especially known in the north of the country

I spent nine years with them, and it was unfortunate that the economic down turn in 2009 forced the company to restructure management team

I would have spent a long time with them.
Pros
Stable, room for growth, good reputation, seriousness, reliable
Cons
The company could use a bit better marketing practices, for some reason they stop expanding
Productive Workplace
Office Administrator/Analyst for QA/R&D (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, NJJanuary 23, 2014
Very crossfunctional environment, updated SOPs TMs,Specificaition sheets, order office supplies, created COAs. Created excel spreadsheets and more. Created Blanket POs in Oracle,
Pros
Very challenging
Cons
left too soon
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 8, 2014
Management took the time to train. I learned the inner workings of keeping a facility clean and safe.
Terrible Culture and Terrible Place to work.
Customer Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJ July 23, 2013
Company can not accurately ship product. Out of stocks are non-stop and management screams for more sales. Expect to spend 70% of your time fighting fires of Hartz's own making and another 70% of your time preparing budgets and forecasts that will not come true because the company could not ship and/or had quality issue and/or forgot to produce and/or had some sort of delay because nobody really cares. Yes, I realize 70% plus 70% is 140%but stand behind these numbers because that is how much effort you will have to put forth just to stand still.

They cut orders, ship the wrong items, and ship more than the customer orders regularly.

Total company sales has declined every year for past 4 and each year they lay off 3-5% of the workforce and pile the extra work onto existing employees.

Be sure to google "Hartz + recall" to see the results of their quality program. There are non-stop issues with quality and they are constantly recalling something. You will work so hard fixing issues and filling out reports, forms and forecasts that you will never have time to work on things that will grow the business.

You may need to work 70 hours a week and Management will never be happy. They will just pile more work on your plate. The culture is poison. Have interview next week and pray that I get it so I can escape. Also - negotiate for a good salary up front because raises and bonuses are non-existent. In 2009 we had a 15% salary REDUCTION!. Had freeze in 2010, 2% in 2011, and 2% in 2013. With inflation I have lost ground. (These averages are
  more... company averages).

Avoid this company at all cost. DO NOT relocate for this company because you will be unhappy working for them.

PS. I am not a disgruntled employee. I am typical. You should contact other Hartz employees on linked-in and ask them if they agree. Do not take just my word for it. I am telling you the truth but ask a few others and they will confirm.
Pros
Pays pretty well and benefits are good
Cons
You will never feel successful or be treated with respect by management.
Short on management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INJuly 3, 2012
Changes in management lead to sweat shop like conditions and a high volume of turnover or use of temps
Pros
people
Cons
lack of management