The Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc.

The Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States26 reviews
I enjoyed working here. The people I worked with were very knowledgable. I was hired when the company was farely new to Charleston. The training was somewhat lacking. I was given a run down on the system and a mentor which worked well for me. I would imagine now that they've been in the capital city for a few years now they have they training program dialed in. I'd recommend them as an employer.
The Health Plan offers employees a sense of a local community feel with career advancements and other possibilities that a big city company has to offer. The work culture is diverse which promotes an opportunity to learn something new everyday. It is a fast paced company so you have to be on your toes constantly. Management takes time for their employees for the most part.
Pros
flexible work environment, always opportunities for growing, good benefits and tuition reimbursement
Cons
Parking
Wellness options, benefits, dress downs 2x a week, lunchroom, open cubicle environment so not stuffy. Can be loud sometimes. For the most part people get along. Can be some resistant to change
The pay is below average standards. They are looking at improving this but there is no annual cost of living increases. The only way clinical services is rewarded is by the newly developed clinical ladder. Staff can be meeting productivity requirements/good performance reviews and still not get a raise. This is the only place I have ever worked at that did not give a cost of living adjustment every 1-2 years. The CEO does not respect the clinical team that is who does the day to day tasks to keep the companies happy and provide good customer service and manage cost by doing and implementing appropriate coverage guidelines. This CEO seems to give to sales dept, and likes to look good in the community so will give to charity at the expense of the employees.
Pros
Ability to work from home after one year, in clinical dept most do not have to work weekend or holidays.
Cons
Management has favorites, CEO does not value employees, no ability to work part time.
Nice Place to work. I am the supervisor for the Medicaid line of business. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy creating a stable, enjoyable and nice environment for my employees.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
It's a very disorganized organization. There are no clear directives, no set guidelines, no stability, low wages, no incentives. Office politics are ridiculous.
My experience at THP varies. I have experienced some wonderful people an work experiences but there is a toxic alliance that’s linked from a majority of the people working together previously. Not all departments, not all people but unfortunately there is one connection that is linked straight to the CEO. An if you cross that path it’s career suicide. It’s sad to say I would not recommend.
Poor management, NO guidance in the work place, too much he said/she said, drama, no breaks. Only perk is in the insurance and decent pay. I wouldn’t recommend applying. One day you’ll feel you have great security, and then you’re getting fired for XYZ reason.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Good company -- very negative environment. Too many females who are not supportive and gossip about each other on a daily basis. Very bad experience for me.
Pros
Good company, top notch technology support, nice office space
Cons
Too much gossip which has nothing to do with getting the job done; many people are NOT professional
I enjoyed Working as a vertexer in data entry. The hours were very flexible. My manager was a pleasure to work for and always made the dept. a fun place to work.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
The Health Plan focuses more on the relationships outside of the office than they do on how the office is actually ran. Management would rather discuss their weekend plans then work to resolve issues and make sure the department is running smoothly.
Pros
Free Cake once a month
Cons
30 minutes for lunch, hard workers are abused while others are praised
This company is growing fast with the acquisition of WV Medicaid; however, medical management is not able to keep up with the growth. Management is filling as many positions as possible with their family and friends. Depending on your department, there is little to no training for new employees. You learn through trial and error. Bullying and dishonesty is tolerated by human resources if you are in the click. I witnessed a multitude of employees bullied and ran off by Clinical Services Management for reasons other than nursing skill, work ethic, or attendance. Clinical Services Management at The Health Plan utilizes management techniques found in the movie script from "Mean Girls" resulting in the absolute worst management team that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with over my 26 years of work experience. RUN!
Pros
Casual dress on Friday.
Cons
Terrible Management, terrible pay.
Really loved what i was doing, they had to let me go and they truly tried everything to keep me. The feelings were mutual about what a great worker I was vs. how much I loved my job. However due to some circumstances in a previous job, I had to enter a plea agreement and they had to let me go.
Biggest downside working here, is that if you didn't come from HealhSmart or know anyone who worked there, then you don't stand a chance in advancing your career, role, or position. Extreme favoritism shown to those with HealthSmart ties. Lots of decisions made are unfair due to the fact that the rules don't apply to ALL employees.
This is a great company to work for. I couldn't ask for a better manager. She is kind and fair in her decision making. However, the job is very high pace and can be stressful if you let it be. You must be good at multitasking.Good benefits and some of the nicest coworkers I have ever worked with.
Pros
Good hours nice coworkers decent pay
Cons
Lack of advancement
Little opportunity for advancement and those that do advance are close, personal friends of management. No exceptions. This pertains to the Charleston office and not the Wheeling office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Terrible work environment.
Wrong people in management rolls. They hire their friends and become very tight clicks. HR dept is very close minded, not there to help at all. Would not recommend working there!!
Pros
When the day is over
Cons
Management clicks
I get to use my clinical knowledge and grow every day. Good benefits, co-workers are nice and collaborative. Management has a good vision for the future.
i like my job, i just dont feel secure in it. i feel there are clicks. i feel that at any given time your position could be eliminated if they dont like you.
They hire you with promises of advancement. Once you are in a position, it's very very hard to leave that position. Regardless of what they tell you.

Pay is very minimal for the duties you do.
Pros
co workers are very nice
Cons
no breaks at all except lunch
The Healthan Plan was a fun place to work for but after a while the started taking everything away and changing things around witch upset a lot of employees.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Health Plan of West Virginia, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8