The Help Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
LVN - Case Manger (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 26, 2018
Management are confuse about policy, treament plan and how to work with staff. Staff are put at risk by patient without any support for safety. Not a good place to work
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Unsafe enviroment
Working with the disabled
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMarch 4, 2018
It is a revolutionary and life changing experience working with the disabled. I enjoyed working with the young men and teaching them the fundamentals of life experiences and challenges they had to look forward. Very positive environment
Pros
Family environment, excellent hours, good management
Youll hate it here
TA (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAFebruary 2, 2018
Terrible place to work. This place is always understaffed with a high turn over rate because the pay is extremely low with no raises, there is no appreciation for staff, and they cheat the kids and parents providing the least services and understaffing classrooms to the point that academics can't be done. I would never recommend this place and I was actually warned about this place, but I didn't listen.
Pros
Kids
Cons
No breaks, no raises, low wages, no certified teachers, unexperienced staff, no appreciation, understaffed over worked
collaborative environment
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CADecember 24, 2017
Working at THG was very rewarding and allowed me to collaborate with other professionals. I enjoyed working with children of all ages and a wide range of ASD. I created therapy activities that challenged my students in a fun and exciting way. As well as realistic goals that each student was able to work toward.
the hardest part of the job
1 Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CANovember 8, 2017
I believe that the hardest part of the job was working with fellow staff members who had limited to no training in working with children with special needs.
The Help Group
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAOctober 26, 2017
I am a volunteer at the Help Group, it is not a job where I am getting paid, the only place I have worked at is Chipotle, my first and only job that i have had
great environment
School Secretary (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 3, 2017
Great place to work if you love working with kids. A bit challenging but worth it. Supervisors are great very understanding. overall great environment.
Pros
schedule and understanding if time off is needed
Cons
pay is okay but can always be better
Fun Working
Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CASeptember 13, 2017
Working with The Help Group are great, Easy to get along with others.
Learned to meet special kids and managed to work in a daily basis.
Management are good, They are nice people.
potential
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CASeptember 9, 2017
This facility has a lot of potential but unfortunately, money is a big issue for this company.
They pay teachers aids minimum wage, over sized classrooms.
Cannot give a positive review
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CASeptember 2, 2017
This organization has a great mission, but it doesn't meet requirements. Executives don't come out to the "real world" and Management doesn't really care. Very high turnover. Workplace Culture is non-existent. Benefits are awful and low pay. Employees have to multi-task to the point of ineffective performance.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Low pay, Bad benefits, Executives and Managers quick to point the finger at someone else, rather than accepting the responsibility. Bad environment to work in.
Review
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 7, 2017
There was a lot of transitioning occurring and the transitioning caused difficulty within management of services. Often short staffed and support was limited.
I learned a lot from this job and I will miss a lot of people there.
Senior Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 16, 2017
They are dedicated to helping people, especially children with special needs.

I worked in the Van Nuys location and it was a challenge to keep the records of those clients in order.
productive workplace
Project Safe Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
You get to work with a variety of clients most are low income. Work loads are decent and faculty is a pleasure to work with. IT's a great company to work for who offers different trainings to help you learn more about different topics.
Pros
pay is good, mileage is paid for and benefits
Cons
the distance from my home to the office
Good Company with a secure environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 11, 2017
I enjoyed my position as Administrative Assistant. Working around the Special Needs Students was rewarding on a daily basis.

I would recommend employment at The Help Group.
Benefits
Cons
No annual increase in Salary
Great Entry Level Job
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Valley Glen, CAJune 27, 2017
The Help Group at Summit View School is a great work environment. The teamwork with the staff, teachers, and administers have each others back. A lot of teachers aide become teachers in the future and the kids are great to work. The Help Group is a great place to get your foot in the door if you want to become a teacher.
Family oriented, flexible position assisting families in need
representative (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJune 8, 2017
I enjoyed working here and was given fantastic on the job training. Everyone works as a team in this agency and the hardest part of this job was hospitalizing clients and seeing some of our kids go to jail. I loved working with my co-workers and my boss, who has now retired from The Help Group. They definitely have some issue with job security, however, it was a nice place to work when I was there.
Rewarding work
Teaching Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 27, 2017
I really enjoyed working with the kids and my colleagues at the Help Group. The company offers many benefits to its employees and their is room for growth within the company. Unfortunately, the work schedule was not very flexible.
Pros
rewarding work, good company
Cons
inflexible hours
Favor to the reader
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  The Help GroupMay 26, 2017
As a fellow human in the Los Angeles area, I highly advise that you do yourself a favor; do not apply for any HOURLY positions in this agency. Please have self-respect as this agency won't have any respect for you.

The best part of this job is working with/for kids. The Help Group provides job security.

The agency has an overall high turnover rate due to high stress work environment. The high stress level is due to their over all hiring/promoting of untrained or poorly trained administration, management and staff. It is a place where you are thrown in and learn as you go with minimum to no support. Promotions are given through schmoozing. Long time and loyal employees are not appreciated, valued nor are they offered promotions. This agency should only be used as a is a hit it and quit it, one year tops.

If you work directly with clients you will not be given breaks, HR will have you waiver your breaks no matter how many hours you work per day.

The Help Group does not post pay for jobs in which they know that they offer a wage FAR BELOW their competitors. Posting pay demonstrates how low they think of their hourly employees for that given position.

Also, if you apply for a full time position that advertises a sign on bonus $$$ be aware that THG may have you start off as relief or temporary staff. Accepting a position as relief or temporary staff means that you are NOT ELIGIBLE for the bonus because you then technically accepted the job of an as needed employee which means you are NOT a NEW full time hire regardless of how many
  more... hours you work per week (this is one way the company attracts applicants).

Best Wishes to all you out there looking for a job.

FYI
TA $13.50/hr
Residential Counselor or Direct Care Staff w/ Bachelor's Degree working with adolescents $12.33/hr
Teacher salary
Therapist salary
Administration salary
Pros
Job Security, working with children
Cons
Everything else
I'm not sure how to describe
None (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 25, 2017
Management doesn't care about employees. too many employees leave quickly after starting. Pay too low and Benefits are bad. The work environment does not support employees and employees have too many things to do with no additional employees.

Working with the kids is great, but the tradeoff doesn't balance.
Pros
Great to work with kids
Cons
Too many to list
Great Work Atmosphere!
Case Worker-Family Preservation (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 21, 2017
You will never work a day in your life if you love your job. Great training opportunities. Loved helping people in the community!! Could pay a little better but overall a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Help Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight