The Henry Ford

The Henry Ford Employee Reviews

United States87 reviews

fordhistoryeventhouryearloveemployeemeet

Every day is unique.

Although not the highest paying job, the benefits and interactions with staff and guests are amazing! You learn something new every day and help create lasting memories for guests.

Pros

Free passes, engaging

Cons

Low pay

Enjoyable, fast paced work environment

Working at the largest American history attraction is pretty awesome on its own. The Banquet Department is fast paced and always exciting. If you're a quick learner and detail oriented you'll excel here. The events they hold are always one of a kind and the staff really work hard to give the best service around!

The Henry Ford insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Creating memorable guest experiences

Working at the Henry Ford is a great experience. It is true that the pay / benefits are not the highest in the market, but the work life balance, and the genuine care that the institute has for the staff helps offset that. I have worked other jobs that paid a much better wage, but was miserable and unappreciated.I really enjoy being a part of all the special events throughout the year in Greenfield Village

Pros

Positive culture and work life balance

Cons

Limited benefits for part time staff

Staff and events

Hard work but staff is great at jumping in and working together. Managers try to bring fun to the shift. We do some really cool events and is a great part-time job. I would recommend working here.

Great Place to Work

Great place to work. I love catering weddings and seeing ppl partying having a great time. Mostly weekend shifts. Great job for extra cash. Management and co workers are awesome. Great team building activities every so often.

The job is a busy job from the moment you walk in until the moment that you leave. Management is well organized and helpful starting and ending the event.

Pros

Flexable schedule

Cons

Weekend work

Best food service you’ll ever work in

This is literally the best food service job I have ever had! Great hours. Great people and management. You get a lot of help. I work at the Eagle Tavern and it’s awesome

Cons

No benefits:(

Low pay and horrible management

If you like low pay for multiple skill sets this job is for you. If you enjoy petty supervisors that really have no clue what security is, well, this job is for you.

Pros

Easiest security job

Cons

Pay, management

Fun and interesting place to work

Recently my pay was increased and I got a bonus too. It is a better environment than my last job; coworkers are friendly and the space is cool. Museum closes at 5 so easy to schedule evening classes.

Pros

The Village is great with trains, animals and good walking. They do work around my school schedule.

Cons

I would like to be full-time. I wish there was public transportation.

Village is nice, pay is abhorrent

Easy job. Pay very low. Horrible nepotism. Management definitely played favorites. Full time positions are impossible.. History was interesting and tons of free time.

Fun workplace with great hours

Worked in food service for years during the seasonal opening of Greenfield Village. Loved the daytime hours with just a few evenings throughout the year during special events. Got to experience a lot of cool events working there. Pay was on the lower end, especially if you’re only working part time.

Pros

Free lunch, complimentary membership

Cons

Part time benefits, pay

Not fun, not worth the pay

Doesn't pay good. Never payed time off, not worth working for the company. Very exhausting and draining. Too much of a young and novice staff to work with.

Fun work, low pay

Love working here! It’s so much fun, with all the different people you interact with on a daily basis. Wish we were paid more, especially with how important we are to the success of the venues.

Intense and demanding workplace

They require too much work for too little pay. I was really excited when I first got hired in, but that quickly changed. Expect a lot of overtime during events. I would work anywhere from 12-14 hours during event days. My department took care of us and was really great to me, but the overall company doesn’t care about their employees in the slightest. We’re all replaceable and that was shown when a large amount of employees were laid off during the pandemic, departments downsized, positions erased. No communication whatsoever. Would not recommend. Like I said, my department and managers were amazing, I have no complaints about them. But the overall management outside of my department is incredibly flawed.

Pros

Free museum admission, employee discounts, staff programs and clubs

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, poor pay

Amazing place to work, but low wages

I love working here, the people you work with are fantastic, management is supportive. I rarely have a shift where I walk away discouraged. Talking to guests is always interesting!

Pros

Love my coworkers, my managers, the job itself

Cons

Does not pay well

Great people!

The Henry Ford is a great place for young people to develop professional skills. I was surprised by the amount of professional development and training given to the frontline presenters, and I continue to be amazed at how much those skills translate into other professional settings and positions. Loved the people I worked with there, and it was a very fun atmosphere!!

Pros

Professional development, some Free lunches on the operating farm in Greenfield Village!

Never boring, you get to meet people from all around the world

Its a really great place to work if this would be your first job, or a job to go to when you are just bored! I was a guest service associate and loved my job, but I did work food service and it was a completeeeee nightmare.

Pros

Get in free with your family or friends

Cons

Sometimes customers can be hard to handle

Educational and unique campus

The job was relatively easy with tons of free time if you did everything correctly. However, the pay was pathetic compared to other guard companies in the area and there was 0 chance of scoring a full time position unless you were related to someone or your dad knew the supervisor back in 1980.

Pros

Lots of free time, free passes

Cons

Nepotisim, no chance of advancement

I love working here!

Each day you learn so much about how to operate a non-profit museum! I have loved learning so much here and hope to stay for a long time. I would highly recommend applying here.

Great

Great place to work. The environment is pretty friendly and you get to interact with a lot of different people. Very flexible work schedule. I wish it was full time though.

Fun Place but Bad Pay

It was a fun and challenging place to work but the pay is way too low for the amount of work that we have to do. The managers have favorites so it makes working there very discouraging.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Henry Ford. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare The Henry Ford with

Learn about The Henry Ford in popular locations

• The Henry Ford
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?