The Hershey Company Employee Reviews

fun work place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTNovember 13, 2018
it was a fun place to work at always busy but the people i worked with was verry posative and made me want to go back . i loved that i always had somthing to do and tey let u eat all the candy you want .
Pros
free candy
Cons
messy restrooms every day .
I wouldn't recommend it
Operator (Current Employee) –  Robinson, IllinoisNovember 12, 2018
They don't care about the employees, so people struggle. Working 12 days in a row with only 2 days to try to recover doesn't work out well. I haven't seen my family much for a few years now.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I don't see my family much
Do your Research First
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 27, 2018
The company will tell you the great things about it, as well as some of their "trained employees".
Truth is the rate isn't enough for one individual to survive on their own if you do the math. It's also a union company, they care about you as much as a politician. Mandatory OT can change multiple times in one day, so if your working 8 you can be force to work 12 on short notice. Everything job related is based on "seniority" shifts, breaks, positions, etc.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Negatively Revolving Environment
Poor management, Management lack communication,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 25, 2018
Working for Hershey has been the worse work experience I've ever received. I've had many jobs, and I've worked in different parts of the world and I can honestly say this job was not worth my time and I would not recommend it to anyone. When I started working there, I quickly felt neglected by management. Management lacks communication. I was never notified by any changes that were relevant to me, I was never notified when I was being relocated, I was never notified by any training classes that were taking place that would have been beneficial to me. I felt they simply didn't care about my progression. I was simply there to be over worked.This brings me to my next point. Retail managers try over work their retail staff. We were expected to work additional hours, double shifts. On many occasions I wouldn't even have a break, it was common that we didn't eat. Yet my work was not appreciated by management.
Cons
No work/life balance, Over worked
employee
employee (Former Employee) –  everywhereOctober 21, 2018
This is not a bad company to work for if you can sift through the Political BS that seems to exist. Most times rule enforcement is dependent upon what manager is working and if they have favorites or not. Pay is considerably good for job duties that are asked of you. Overall it isnt a bad place to work for.
Pros
good pay
Cons
inconsistency between managers and shifts
happy place to work
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 20, 2018
I work in retail and our season of busy time is generally about 9 months of the year at chocolate world busy time is from may til December as we are also the welcome center for Hershey park so it can be very busy either we are generally straightening up the floor ringing on register putting returns away answering questions for our guests display changes helping guests who need to ship their items purchased or bag checking the items purchased for pick up later in the day so they don't have to carry them with them
Pros
helping the guests
Cons
stressful in busy season
Hershey
Packaging Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILOctober 19, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Hershey. I started as a machine operator and advanced to a team lead after one year. I was able to familiarize myself with the operations of a number of packaging machines; transportation processes; personnel and production scheduling processes; material procurement processes.
Not all sweet
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 16, 2018
I worked here over ten years ago and it wasn't a great place for my career so I wouldn't recommend this to anyone let alone someone that I was related to
the constant badgering by other employees and lack of management intervention make working there difficult
Electrial / operational maintenance (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 13, 2018
This would be a great place to work if it weren't for the people who treat others poorly. The lack of management intervention in such cases is intolerable.
The long term employees tell me it wasn't always like this, but it isn't like that anymore.
Pros
climate controlled
Cons
hostile work environment
typical company company to work for
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 4, 2018
come in, get your work done. no career advancement available. Hardest part of the job is the fast pass you must work at. Hershey expects a lot of you, but they pay well.
Nice treats
Operations Planner (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 3, 2018
The hardest part of my experience at the Hershey Company was trying not to eat all of the candy. Otherwise, I enjoyed my tenure with the Hershey Company.
Enjoy the experience
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 21, 2018
Wish I could go back. It was a really good time. They try to make u feel like family. The pay is ok it was fare for the time. I just didn't like that o couldn't move to another shift
Hershey Company Review
Finance Manager - Large Format Sales Channels (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 17, 2018
Pros: Great place if you're raising a family. Centrally located & within driving distance to Philly, DC, and NYC.

Cons: Not much to do there if you're young and single.
No Social Life
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 14, 2018
The company got greed over the years.They use to give Hersheypark passes. They are lucky they give a appreciation meal once a year. It use to be that you could eat as much as you want, but now you only get one time and very small portion. Plus, they don't treat there employees good. Example if an employee gets hurt they don't want to be held responsible. A person doesn't have a social life working here either. Over time must of the departments work 12 hours shifts. It use to be not like this, but company wants to save money in not paying overtime. There is so much to say about this company that I could go on but I am not.
Pros
Good pay and paid breaks
Cons
short breaks in some departments and no social life
Fast Paced
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 10, 2018
Very fast paced environment, learned to put together water holes. Management is laid back, but theirs plenty of work to be done. hardest part is standing on feet for long hours.
Enjoyable place to work with sweet benefits
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PASeptember 6, 2018
Enjoyed the diversity of work options and projects. Best benefit was the free bite size chocolate samples in every conference room. You get used to it and change to a more healthy lifestyle which is highly encouraged.
Ethical, mission driven, stong consumer branded Company
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 28, 2018
Well respected ethical, mission driven organization with strong consumer connection and brand equity. A great organization to work, grow and develop with many opportunities to advance professionally.
Bad company culture
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 23, 2018
You'll be going to Walmarts every day building displays and getting chewed out by store managers. Unrealistic expectations, strong nepotism/favoritism within the company. Work days start at 7am after an hour of unpaid driving to your first store. Days usually end around 5pm with an hour or more of unpaid drive time home. Mandatory overtime required (47.5 hours per week) and usually expected to work 50+ hours a week. Annual bonus structure is based off company performance, not individual performance. Overall a lot of uncertainty in the company's future (less people shopping at grocery stores plus sugar/candy industry overall is in decline).
It wasn't really a fun place to work it was stressful.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 17, 2018
Hershey's wasn't a bad nor good place to work, it's just to stressful and it was drama. I got to work in a environment where there's no drama at all. If there's drama and fighting going on, it distracts me from getting my job done. I won't be able to risk losing a job that I get.
Pros
I brought my own lunch
Cons
Short brakes
Working for Hershey
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 9, 2018
To begin with, the culture is terrible! They promote an unhealthy work-life balance, expecting you to work 60 hours every week, including weekends, in an entry level position. The pay is absolutely horrendous! They barely compensate you enough money in the gas you use to drive around your territory for work, and even with working overtime, they have a fixed rate for this position across the country, so living in Seattle, one of the most expensive places to live, I had to pick up a second side job. The people are cut-throat, nothing matters but Hershey type of people. They encourage terrible, low-life behavior, and congratulate you when you do sneaky stuff to competitor products. Overall terrible people, terrible culture, and terrible company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hershey Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight