The Hershey Company Employee Reviews

Poor management, Management lack communication,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 25, 2018
Working for Hershey has been the worse work experience I've ever received. I've had many jobs, and I've worked in different parts of the world and I can honestly say this job was not worth my time and I would not recommend it to anyone. When I started working there, I quickly felt neglected by management. Management lacks communication. I was never notified by any changes that were relevant to me, I was never notified when I was being relocated, I was never notified by any training classes that were taking place that would have been beneficial to me. I felt they simply didn't care about my progression. I was simply there to be over worked.This brings me to my next point. Retail managers try over work their retail staff. We were expected to work additional hours, double shifts. On many occasions I wouldn't even have a break, it was common that we didn't eat. Yet my work was not appreciated by management.
Cons
No work/life balance, Over worked
Productive workplace with room to grow
Sales Representative - Retail Accounts (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAJanuary 8, 2019
Great company where you can learn a lot about yourself and grow both personally and professionally. Company culture is addicting which gives you more motivation to work hard.
Pros
management, advancement
Cons
relocation
Working for Hershey
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 9, 2018
To begin with, the culture is terrible! They promote an unhealthy work-life balance, expecting you to work 60 hours every week, including weekends, in an entry level position. The pay is absolutely horrendous! They barely compensate you enough money in the gas you use to drive around your territory for work, and even with working overtime, they have a fixed rate for this position across the country, so living in Seattle, one of the most expensive places to live, I had to pick up a second side job. The people are cut-throat, nothing matters but Hershey type of people. They encourage terrible, low-life behavior, and congratulate you when you do sneaky stuff to competitor products. Overall terrible people, terrible culture, and terrible company.
Great iconic brands and outstanding co-workers
Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJune 20, 2018
In sales, there is never a typical day outside of always checking sales reports each morning to understand business trends and meeting deliverables. Management was always highly supportive of my career and aspirations to grow. The culture was a One Hershey, with an openness to collaborate. Cultural and Leadership changes have adjusted some of the above, while marketplace dynamics have been hard on the confection category. I truly enjoyed working with so many wonderful and talented individuals.
Pros
People
Cons
Management Changes
always busy
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 10, 2018
A typical day at work is very busy and stressful. I have learned about the product and it's history. As for management, that is is a different story. I work with people from all over the world and enjoy working with them. The hardest part is staying open very, very late, i.e. we close at 12 a.m. and they want to keep us open until 1 to 1:30 in the morning and after we close, it's another hour, hour and a half to clean up. Therefore, we go home at round 2-3 in the morning after being there since 4 p.m. We are always short staffed. I DO enjoy working swing shift since my spouse works swing too. We have the same days off and that is working best for us. It just seems like we work hard for NO benefits, unless you are a "staff member" i.e. manager, assistant manager, or supervisor that works full time. I am already putting in 40 hrs+ and have been there for 3 years. I have been passed up for promotions, not even being asked if I was interested in becoming a supervisor. I have just been a cashier and I have not been very happy there for about 2 years. I am looking for a swing shift, 3:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. with benefits and Thursdays and Fridays off. The enjoyable part of the job is making guests happy with their purchase.
Pros
new product
Cons
See summary
Created a great career, then dismissed w/o relocation
SR. MANAGER / THE HERSHEY COMPANY (Former Employee) –  THE HERSHEY COMPANYJuly 31, 2018
I entered the The Hershey Company as happiest as I could be...since I was a chocolate lover after all. I had a great career for 8 years. I had great mentors and I was planning my career around someday going into Corporate Offices. But that dream was not achieved since I was dismissed w/o the opportunity for me of seeking relocation to another job. It was a shame that after 8 years the company spent preparing me to be the perfect Hershey material; they let me go. Still appreciate all the learnings and great mentors I found in the way. But new international management is very closed circle and if you aren't one of them; you are out. Not so Hershey behaviors after all.
Pros
Great compesation packages
Cons
Closed minded upper management
Love the Culture
Retail Sales Representative/Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJuly 1, 2018
I absolutely loved working for the Hershey company as a retail sales representative. The only reason I left was due to personal reasons at that point in my life. If I had the choice again, I would love to work for them. They have an unbeatable culture that you see throughout all management and coworkers. It was always a competitive and rewarding company to work for and I miss it to this day.

A typical day as an RSR was to stick to your weekly route and make sure your stores are set up for success. Talking to key decision makers is the main role of the job and getting them to see the benefit in putting Hershey's products on feature.

Hardest part of my particular territory was time management, due to so much drive time between my stores. If you live in a city or less rural area, the drive time isn't as long however you will have more stores to tend to during the day.
Pros
Culture, Management, Ability to move up within the company
Cons
Standard work week is 47 hours, RSR cap out on pay
This is a very poor company to work for.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJune 29, 2018
There is too much nepotism, favoritism, and racism. The management team is close-minded and built on friendships. The workplace culture is very cut-throat.
Pros
Good benefits and decent salary
Cons
No upward mobility, must be a yes man, no work/life balance.
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 31, 2018
Great company and great people. Company is focused on helping others.you are only limited by your own desire. Concern for the welfare of hourly employees can be a little overwhelming.
Pros
Company culture, pay and benifits
Collaborative and Innovative place to work
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 19, 2018
Great place to work with highly educated and innovative team members who are committed to delivering quality work and competitive new products.

The work life balance is wonderful and the management is highly supportive of your continued education, family life and career goals.

The flexible work schedule is great for times you need to work from home for personal or otherwise unavoidable circumstances.

The benefits and salaries are highly competitive and inclusive.

Want to know more about The Hershey Company?

Ask a question
The most Chocolatey Day is
TERRITORY SALES REP (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2018
On any given day one gets to put a smile on someone Else's face. The name Hershey and the brand speaks for it's self. There is never a dull moment and a day can not be found being bored. There is always something NEW or exciting with in the company that brings joy.
Pros
Excutives take time to praise workers.
hershey culture
Retail sales representative (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZAugust 6, 2018
Hershey has a great company culture with ample opportunities for lateral movement in the company. Management has great enthusiasm and pushes their team.
It's hard to progress
Process engineer (Current Employee) –  Hershey Park, PAApril 25, 2018
This is a great company to work for! Depending on your position, you could love it or hate it. The one thing I will say is that if you aren't in the "in crowd" it can be hard to progress in your career. They move who they want when they want, and will come up with bogus excuses as to why you can't move.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, It's Chocolate!!, Work life balance
Cons
hard to advance in career
Fast Paced
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 10, 2018
Very fast paced environment, learned to put together water holes. Management is laid back, but theirs plenty of work to be done. hardest part is standing on feet for long hours.
The Memphis plant is terrible
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 10, 2018
Management is absolutely horrific. There's no Job/work balance. Your forced to take five days of consecutive vacation days when you only start with 10 days for the entire year. Production always comes first even when there's a clear safety or quality issue. Management shows blunt favoritism and retaliation toward certain people. Permanent and Contingent employees are openly disrespected. I've witness employees loose their jobs because management simply doesn't like them. It's the most unprofessional establishment I've ever worked for. Corruption runs deep and without a union there's no chance of being treated fairly. This is only a glimpse of how terrible the Memphis plant is. Management is violating rights and breaking laws and there's nothing being done.
Pros
The pay is good.
Cons
Everyrhing else
Great place to meet a variety of people. Not so good management and half the time your short staffed.
Utility (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 6, 2018
Ive worked at Hershey for four years now. Since starting management has become very poor, most of them don’t know what they are doing, hold the building open longer than it needs to be, and when we do close, people are not allowed to be forced out. This leaves employees there till an hour or an hour in half after the building has closed. Most departments are short staffed so a lot of employees are scheduled almost every day. The amount of work you do doesn’t show up on your paycheck half the time. You get nice discounts and even tickets to Hershey Park but that is if you can afford to buy them when you get your check.
Pros
Discounts on bakery, retail, and at the park
Cons
Low pay, management, amount of hours, being stuck till 12/12:30AM
Hershey is an excellent employer
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PA 17033January 7, 2019
Hershey employee's receive excellent benefits and compensation. there are multiple different shifts available to work and various types of work. there is no shortage of overtime hours to be picked up and it is an awesome opportunity to see how a fortune 500 company operates.
Company Really Cares about Employees
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 6, 2018
The department I worked in had a lot of potential to be great - but everyone was still a little bitter about a recent management change, so there was a lot of animosity towards the new head honcho, which caused employees in the department to be neglected. The company as a whole really cared about their employees, though, and they made sure to recognize people from all departments. I would definitely recommend this as a great place to work overall.
Pros
Free lunch, free theme park admission, discounts on chocolate
Cons
Self-centered managment
Great pay with lack of direction
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Hazleton, PADecember 9, 2018
Money to be made if you are willing to work the overtime. 8 or 12 hour days. Management at the time is lacking experience. Many people feel they ae just a number. The part is being mandated to work 12 hours seven days a week with a day of on your 21st day. Making candy is pretty cool.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
the constant badgering by other employees and lack of management intervention make working there difficult
Electrial / operational maintenance (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 13, 2018
This would be a great place to work if it weren't for the people who treat others poorly. The lack of management intervention in such cases is intolerable.
The long term employees tell me it wasn't always like this, but it isn't like that anymore.
Pros
climate controlled
Cons
hostile work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hershey Company. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Hershey Company.

Powered by Comparably