The Hertz Corporation Employee Reviews

Found 4,013 reviews matching the search See all 4,585 reviews
I enjoyed my employment at Hertz
Location Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 21, 2019
Hertz was my first full time job. It provided me with the professional development which is integral to entering the job market. MY typical day at work was practicing the developmental and coaching methods of which I learned through various trainings and also building employee relations. The hardest part of the job was the union environment and memorizing the contract. I enjoyed the interpersonal skills I gained from not only dealing with a variety of customers but a variety of employees on the day to day basis.
Pros
benefits, flexible hours, promotional opportunity
Cons
hours of operation
Great place if you're sales driven
Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 21, 2019
I worked for the company for 7 years. I really loved the first couple of years before commission base pay and other incentives were cut. I quit for several reasons but was rehired after a few months in a different area. It was just a pay check but I enjoyed working in Santa Monica because of the tourism. Beware: when you're hired you sign a mutual and binding arbitration agreement. #metoo
Pros
Benefits, 401K, dental etc., weekly pay check
Cons
Harrassment goes unchecked
Can be a positive and personal rewarding job depending on which department or position you take.
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 23, 2019
Good company benefits. Chance for advancement. Some departments are more challenging as they increase their performance demands frequently. There is opportunities to change or transfer to other areas or departments if someone wants to expand their knowledge or skills to advance with the company.
Pros
Paid personal days up to three per year.
Cons
Schedule and shift changes 4 to 5 times a year
high pace work environment. never the same day
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 29, 2019
job to personal life balance is horrible. hourly and salary work constantly. pay is lightly below average. I do not feel I am properly compensated for my work. Management is amazing and you always are working out problems. easily kept busy and never bored. great perks with company cars when become management. Quarterly bonuses are nice and good health benefits. If you like hard work then it's a great job! promotional opportunities is amazing and experienced earned is something you can't find anywhere else.
Pros
car perks, health benefits, opportunity to grow
Cons
constantly working, average pay
Excellent Company with opportunity to advance
Credit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 11, 2019
Challenging work environment. Employees that are diligent, punctual and willing to go above their daily duties are recognized by giving them the chance to advance via promotion and/or being compensated financially. Workplace culture that promotes teamwork. Management rewards employees that provide new ideas that will assist in the process of improvement.
Pros
Promotes from within. Good healthcare/medical benefits.
Cons
The hours can be long due to large portfolios or high number of credit applications.
Productive work area poor organization
Managers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAFebruary 17, 2019
Your bonuses are based on everybody elses effort as well so not fair if yiu take your job seriously and others dont. Poor hourly pay for wearing multiple hars since always short staff. 7-6pm very tiring. Fleet availibility and organization are poor. No raises when u get a promotion. Very tough on employees on sales when u dont get commission from sales so yiur drive is low. Human resources is clueless. Helpdesk/IT is useless. Very little support.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
All of the above
The Hertz Life
Manager Associate (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 20, 2019
This is the worst job I have every had. The company never has your back. The benefits are horrible. And they allow the workers to be abused buy customers and still let them get away with everything. Hertz tells us to follow policy and then when the customer complains (even though we have the proof that the customer was wrong) hertz will still give them whatever they want.. And then Hertz Complains to us ( Saying you did this happen .. you need to do better) about the bad survey that was done buy the customer they bent over backwards for. This is why I will never recommend a person to work here. And when I leave I will never be back.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Poorly Structured Organization
Management Trainee Program (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 21, 2019
Management lacked appropriate resources
Compensation is dismal
Expectations are unrealistic and unfair
Poor working conditions
Unreliable business infrastructure
Pros
Get to drive for some of the time, customers are often fun to interact with
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, clean cars in a suit(winter/Summer), ruin clothing, poor incentives and sales targets, most services are overpriced, poor rental system, cumbersome amount of data entry
Hard Working group in Fort Myers
Car Rental Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 27, 2019
The Airport in Southwest Florida, Fort Myers is at times one of the busiest airports in the Country. Everyone at HERTZ Fort Myers, FL used a say yes mentality when it came to customer satisfaction. We worked hard to make sure that this rental experience was great one. Ease of rental. Ease of pick up and Ease of return are all very important to the whole team at HERTZ Fort Myers, FL.
Pros
Online Training, Great Leadership
Cons
Rotating schedule.
Great employees, terrible company
Location Manger (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 13, 2019
Hertz offers managers great perks (free car, gas, and insurance). However, these perks are only provided to ensure that employees can always make it back to work to continue to slave for the company. There was no support for individual develop (i.e., I was going to graduate school, and the company did not provide any form of understanding or empathy of my current status). The employees of the company are amazing. Many mixed races that worked together to achieve a common goal. Without the great employees who worked under me and my superiors, the operation would have quickly fallen apart.
Pros
Strong culture
Cons
Everything else
Hard working employees with poor management
Counter sales rep (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 14, 2019
Hertz expects you to do a lot with little benefits or help. They take away as much commission as they can, yet they ask you to sell, sell, sell. The management is poor/lazy. The pay is not worth the amount of stress. They have a shift bid by seniority so you have no room for advancement and ABSOLUTELY no control over your work times. If you’re Newley hired you’re at the bottom of the totem pole basically. NO WORK/ LIFE BALANCE!
Pros
Accumulated pto, discounts on rental
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, no work/life balance
work at Hertz
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJanuary 10, 2019
getting to work and finding out how many deliveries and pickups you have that day. learned to operate heavy equipment , backhoes,forklifts,trackhoes,scissorlifts,highreach forklifts.Manager only thought of himself, look what i did, look what i made happen, a yes man that did not care who he stepped on to make it happen. the hardest part was working long hours get ready to go home then one more delivery. the most enjoyable was delivering to customer and seeing the smile when the equipment arrives.
Pros
decent people work enviroment
Cons
having to go to other stores to find eqipment
Company focuses on shareholders more than anything else.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2019
The company is always looking to please its investors before really working to retain its customer base. However, this is an industry where the customers will almost always try to take advantage of a situation in order to get discounts or upgrades.

Technology is slow to update and it's costing the company to try and catch up.

Market share is coming back and there is a truly respectable vision for where Hertz needs to be in the near future.

Many privately suspect that a sale of this company is in the works but there are no public facts to currently support this.
Cons
healthcare
Different
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Albany, NY 12211January 5, 2019
The management does not know what is going. Is unwilling to discipline someone even when there is a serious infraction. If you have a bad attitude it seems you are given free rein and as many hours as you want while others are restricted to 24 hours a week. very unfair.
Pros
Use to be able to make your own hours, travel to surrounding areas on company gas tab, not labor intensive nor do you have to deal with the public as a transporter
Cons
management, working in the weather, no real breaks
Hertz is a good company to work for.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 15, 2019
A typical work day is 12 hour shift. I learned about the car rental process, sales strategies, and fleet management. The management team is cooperative. It is a fun workplace culture. The hardest part of the job is the physical labor of washing cars and exposure to the environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with different people and with it being a relaxed work environment.
Put your experience somewhere else
Branch mananger trainee (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 28, 2018
I worked for this company for 3years. They lie to you to get you into the job about growing but if you get an area manager like I had your going no where. Always under staffed so expect long hours and pay is ok but for the hats you wear no. The only the I loved about my job was my customers. This is not a good company to work for just read customer reviews and past employees reviews and you will see.
Pros
Car discount
Cons
Long hours poor upper management
Relaxed place to work just not enough money to live off of at all!.
Lead Porter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2019
A lot will be required of you even doing things that are not in your job subscription new assignments added to your work duties every week pay never increases and lack of communication all around. They will even promise you promotions and advancements but that is not true they just tell you that to keep u working. NO OVERTIME AT ALL.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Dont expect to make a living you wont.
Hertz is a great company
Counter Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 26, 2018
A Typical day as a counter sales representative I would come clock in sign on greet clients and process their car rental needs. I learned vehicle codes, different makes and models of cars, and the difference in insurance coverage for car rentals. There were several managers that I interacted with. The work culture was cutthroat. The hardest part of the job was working the graveyard shift. The most enjoyable was meeting different people.
Pros
Get to meet different people
Cons
hours
I loved the fast paced enviorment and meeting some great customers.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJanuary 21, 2019
I worked in developing to get business from local auto body shops to send us their clients who needed a car while theirs was being repaired. I was required to lie to the customer about how much their insurance would pay for their car rental. This bothered me and was a big reason why i moved on.
Pros
Got to drive latest models of fun cars
Cons
Had to not tell the whole truth to customers
They paint a pretty picture
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 5, 2019
So I was there for 8 months and I was let go for tardiness so yes it was my fault but every job I've had gives u some kind of Lee way. Not Hertz what so ever of your a min late ur late and so many your gone. I literally only appreciated maybe 2 managers and one was let go as well because of numbers. That's all they are concerned with is numbers. They claim to want employees input but never actually use it. The managers as well as the gm tell you to do one thing if issues arise with customers but yet when a customer wants to speak to them go and do something totally different making employees look like the bad person. In the last 3 months I was there everyone kept leaving because they were over worked and the managers didnt seem to care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hertz Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.2K
31.2K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Hertz Corporation.

Powered by Comparably