The Hillman Group Employee Reviews

A great place that cares about employees.
Field Service Representative (Lowe's Exclusive) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 26, 2018
There is a lot to say about Hillman but the most important is that this company really cares. They care about your health, safety, and overall wellness of each employee. There are always safety videos to remind us to work safely on and off the job. The benefits are great and everyone works together for the most part.
Recently I've been caught up in some management politics that has changed how I feel about my job and caused me to look elsewhere- but if you have a great boss, this job is easy and enjoyable.
Lowe's isn't the best company, they are not what they used to be. I love working for Hillman but I hate dealing with Lowe's.
The job is pretty simple - field service, take care of our products and service key machines.
You are basically your own manager but you do have a supervisor to instruct you and answer questions.
I had to complete a drug screening to get the job but have not had any random testing since then. They are a nicotine free company though and will have you go through programs to quit smoking.
Pros
Flexible schedule, travel between multiple stores, make your own decisions, take as many needed breaks, responsibility.
Cons
working with Lowe's employees, dealing with customers (not Hillman's job)
No Advancement!
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 20, 2019
They expect you to drive your sales higher every year to meet goals, But in return they take away bonus and commissions every year to make their pockets full and not yours.. The managers sit back a do nothing and expect you to learn on your own or call on your team members. If you enjoy staying at the same job forever without any big raise. The its the job for you. Used to be a family run business and cared about their employees.
Pros
Company Car, Great Benefits.
Cons
No Advancement, Pay is not worth the amount of work.
Terrible
fsr (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 27, 2019
What can you say about this company that hasnt already been said about capitalism in general. Company pretends to care about you, but their main concern is turning profits at your expense. Too much is expected for too little compensation
Get place to start a career in warehouse or laborer work.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAOctober 22, 2018
Thr typical day at work was : start off with a meeting about the ins and outs of the day, what's the game plan and where everyone will work. I learned 10/12 areas that i could learn at my position. The management was easy going he wanted his employees to move up in the company. Everyone got along together they acted and responded together as a team. The hardest part of the job was the heat. The most enjoyable part is the people.
Pros
Free vision, life insurance, and paid time off benefits
Cons
small company not a lot of work coming all year round
Good place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 6, 2018
Good benefits except medical insurance is a joke. Lots of meetings so everyone is on the same page. Lots of events to help charities. Company continues to grow.
Pros
Good atmosphere.
Cons
Medical insurance is bad.
its okay
Order Puller /Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 3, 2018
Good for learning new skills. Days can be really hot or really cold. sometimes the bosses run around like chickens with their heads cutoff. just keep your head down, and do what you got to do.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Good company
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2018
This is a great company to work for. The work/life balance is the best I have ever been apart of. I wish there were a better path to success but the current structure does not allow for it. They have been very flexible with my time and try to push extra raises when possible.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
compensation
Beginning Retirement
Field Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 7, 2019
Make your own schedule and work at your own pace. The likeliness of seeing any management is extremely unlikely.

Retired?
This is your job... No pressure, No Growth, and No Pay.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
Absent Management, Capped Pay, Constant Promise of Change
Just stay away
Corp Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 12, 2019
You will receive little to no training after you are hired. Culture is based on top down approach. If you are in a meeting with any VP and you might as well not even bother speaking or having an opinion. Culture is very fractured between departments and there is often animosity between departments that end up fighting vs working towards achieving the same goal. They act like they care about development but it there is nothing to show any actual progress.

The nice thing is work life balance. Office is empty by 4 on Fridays but I would rather work more hours for a company with better culture who appreciates me.
Pros
Lots of Lunches
Cons
Hillman treats you decently. Lowe's does not.
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, VAMay 20, 2018
Hillman, as a company, is not bad. As a field service rep to Lowe's account stores I made okay money and the benefits were excellent, and scheduling is very flexible. However, the work is mind numbingly boring, consisting mostly of straightening displays and ordering product with occasional reset projects thrown in. Additionally, Lowe's is not what it used to be and has cut back staffing and training for their employees which makes the service rep's job much much harder, and can make your day to day work environment hit or miss depending on the store - and in the latter part of my tenure it was mostly miss.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits, flexible hours and scheduling, pay for your gas going to work
Cons
Providing product support to a slowly failing company is stressful and frustrating.
Do not work here
Former Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 4, 2018
I worked as the former Accounting Manager. My primary functions were to manage inventory. The company would not let me do any other financial functions in the accounting department. Hence, by doing inventory all the time, it began to pigeon hole my career. Unless you are exposed to other areas in accounting as a manager: month end close, account reconciliations, fixed assets, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, ad hoc analysis, then you will never evolve as an accounting manager. This is not a good place to help your future career in accounting management. You also do not need a CPA to manage inventory.
Pros
Cons
Pigeon Hole Career
Good job
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 24, 2019
Overall Hillman is a good company to work for. It has its glitches like any company. The money is great if you’re willing to work hard and go out to get it. 20k short of 6 figures in 2018. I personally have a great district manager who knows the struggles out in the field.
horrible
Shipping/Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, OHJanuary 12, 2019
unless you like working like a slave this is not the place to work! you will never be appreciated and they will fire you in a heartbeat! management is an absolute joke!
Horrible Managment and HR
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45231January 1, 2019
HR does not investigate issues and sides with what is best for the company and not the employee. Management is all veterans of when the company started and do not know how to properly manage. Upper management will do what it takes to keep veteran managers on board even if they mistreat their employees.
nice place to work yet the money is not there
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 2, 2018
The company overall is great. The management seems to care and the work is not back breaking at all. If you need some supplemental income with not that much stress then I would recommend this company. It does not pay much so if you have a large family i wouldnt recommend it as the only source of income.
Pros
stress free environment, decent healthcare benefits
Cons
not enough money
Fun working with The Hillman Group , coworkers are so goid
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 7, 2018
Manager are always nice. Coworkers are so nice to work with. Coworkers are so helpfull. Lots if fun working there.Everydaif of working in Hillmen Group is so excellent. I work always full time and get sometime overtime which I realky apricate. The Hillman Group is so good . Have lots of benfite.I still love to work there but its too far from my home.
Pros
Good workers get free lunch, couple if time I git free lunch
Cons
I got goid break too.
The following helped to achieve goals.
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2018
Clean the area. Check inventory, enter orders. Checking price labels. Making keys for customers. Restocking and putting over-flow stock in bins with labels, showing what was in box. The hardest part was organizing product. The most enjoyable was helping customers and satisfying their needs. Also getting along with people which meant to listen to what they were saying. Then helping them to solve their problems. Management did help by setting up objectives in an orderly fashion to finish the job.
Pros
Set your own time and accomplish objectives.
Cons
Difficult to accomplish all objectives because of time constraints
Needs management
Forklift Operator/ Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAOctober 29, 2018
unorganized, managers need to have more communication with employees, also employees need to do their work correctly and be safe and have a clean work area
Average
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJune 22, 2018
Part time job with lots of driving. If you are part time like I was benfits are minimal while full timers get everything like full paid vehicles. Part timers are expected to travel just as much as full timers.
Pros
Steady but low hours
Cons
Part time
Stressful, drive up to 2000 miles weekly while making at least 30 stops.
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 5, 2018
A lot of driving up to2000 miles weekly, a lot of monthly call cycles up to140. 3 weeks vacation, can’t take more than 1 at a time. Wouldn’t hold my job after on job back injury and 2 not my fault car accidents. You DO NOT get to come back after any short term disability payments after 12 years.
Pros
Fair pay, car and benefits
Cons
A lot of driving a lot a stress and pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hillman Group. Our community is ready to answer.