The Hillman Group Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Former Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 4, 2018
I worked as the former Accounting Manager. My primary functions were to manage inventory. The company would not let me do any other financial functions in the accounting department. Hence, by doing inventory all the time, it began to pigeon hole my career. Unless you are exposed to other areas in accounting as a manager: month end close, account reconciliations, fixed assets, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, ad hoc analysis, then you will never evolve as an accounting manager. This is not a good place to help your future career in accounting management. You also do not need a CPA to manage inventory.
Pros
Cons
Pigeon Hole Career
Get place to start a career in warehouse or laborer work.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAOctober 22, 2018
Thr typical day at work was : start off with a meeting about the ins and outs of the day, what's the game plan and where everyone will work. I learned 10/12 areas that i could learn at my position. The management was easy going he wanted his employees to move up in the company. Everyone got along together they acted and responded together as a team. The hardest part of the job was the heat. The most enjoyable part is the people.
Pros
Free vision, life insurance, and paid time off benefits
Cons
small company not a lot of work coming all year round
Fun working with The Hillman Group , coworkers are so goid
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 7, 2018
Manager are always nice. Coworkers are so nice to work with. Coworkers are so helpfull. Lots if fun working there.Everydaif of working in Hillmen Group is so excellent. I work always full time and get sometime overtime which I realky apricate. The Hillman Group is so good . Have lots of benfite.I still love to work there but its too far from my home.
Pros
Good workers get free lunch, couple if time I git free lunch
Cons
I got goid break too.
Good place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 6, 2018
Good benefits except medical insurance is a joke. Lots of meetings so everyone is on the same page. Lots of events to help charities. Company continues to grow.
Pros
Good atmosphere.
Cons
Medical insurance is bad.
The following helped to achieve goals.
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2018
Clean the area. Check inventory, enter orders. Checking price labels. Making keys for customers. Restocking and putting over-flow stock in bins with labels, showing what was in box. The hardest part was organizing product. The most enjoyable was helping customers and satisfying their needs. Also getting along with people which meant to listen to what they were saying. Then helping them to solve their problems. Management did help by setting up objectives in an orderly fashion to finish the job.
Pros
Set your own time and accomplish objectives.
Cons
Difficult to accomplish all objectives because of time constraints
key packing production operator.
Production Operator I (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 3, 2018
had to know the beginning and ending no. of production.had to know the type of keys and which plate to put on each type of key.pack keys according to order of packings i.e 4 pack or 6 pack. and had to know each type of playcon.
Pros
clean up machines and stations each day and i like the companys cleanliness
Cons
too hot.
its okay
Order Puller /Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 3, 2018
Good for learning new skills. Days can be really hot or really cold. sometimes the bosses run around like chickens with their heads cutoff. just keep your head down, and do what you got to do.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Not good company never ever appricate your work
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 7, 2018
Never appreciate your hard working. I been working there 1 one years I quiet ..management is too bad. Summer time you guys gone die due to hot condition.
Fast pace working environment
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2018
I liked working there but become to sick to work ! It’s easy just keep up with your number of picks per hour , stay on the work room floor and always remain safe ! The job is not hard at all
Average
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJune 22, 2018
Part time job with lots of driving. If you are part time like I was benfits are minimal while full timers get everything like full paid vehicles. Part timers are expected to travel just as much as full timers.
Pros
Steady but low hours
Cons
Part time
Good company
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2018
This is a great company to work for. The work/life balance is the best I have ever been apart of. I wish there were a better path to success but the current structure does not allow for it. They have been very flexible with my time and try to push extra raises when possible.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
compensation
Hillman treats you decently. Lowe's does not.
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, VAMay 20, 2018
Hillman, as a company, is not bad. As a field service rep to Lowe's account stores I made okay money and the benefits were excellent, and scheduling is very flexible. However, the work is mind numbingly boring, consisting mostly of straightening displays and ordering product with occasional reset projects thrown in. Additionally, Lowe's is not what it used to be and has cut back staffing and training for their employees which makes the service rep's job much much harder, and can make your day to day work environment hit or miss depending on the store - and in the latter part of my tenure it was mostly miss.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits, flexible hours and scheduling, pay for your gas going to work
Cons
Providing product support to a slowly failing company is stressful and frustrating.
Great pay great hours
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAApril 13, 2018
Poor HR and Management. Being Part time I was paid more than others but took a hefty pay cut in order to work full time. I worked there for 2 years only because the pay was good.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
warehouse lacks heating and cooling
productive and great company to work for
Field Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 12, 2018
Got to meet a lot of new people, co- workers were very knowledgable and very helpful. Learned a lot about their products and what to recommend. Had to make quick decisions and if i ever needed help my manager was just a call away to help.
No fun at all extremely intensive labor and very segregated
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Colony, TXFebruary 17, 2018
No fun at all extremely intensive labor and very segregatedThe only reason I would recommend this job is if your flat broke I need money and have no other choice
Pros
Cons
This is a tuff place to work and pays employees very little money
Not a bad place to work at.
Field Service Representative (FSR) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2018
I work out of Chicago Illinois. You drive to different big box stores to service them. TH manager is a good manager. Coworkers helpful. up to date on technology.
Pros
No one over your shoulder. you work alone
Cons
Pay
nice place to work yet the money is not there
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 2, 2018
The company overall is great. The management seems to care and the work is not back breaking at all. If you need some supplemental income with not that much stress then I would recommend this company. It does not pay much so if you have a large family i wouldnt recommend it as the only source of income.
Pros
stress free environment, decent healthcare benefits
Cons
not enough money
Okay place to work but horrible management
Machine Operating Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 2, 2018
Managers come and go like a revolving door. Never help with anything.pay is good but new employees make more money. Lots of overtime. Very boring work
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Very poor management
Stressful, drive up to 2000 miles weekly while making at least 30 stops.
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 5, 2018
A lot of driving up to2000 miles weekly, a lot of monthly call cycles up to140. 3 weeks vacation, can’t take more than 1 at a time. Wouldn’t hold my job after on job back injury and 2 not my fault car accidents. You DO NOT get to come back after any short term disability payments after 12 years.
Pros
Fair pay, car and benefits
Cons
A lot of driving a lot a stress and pressure
Forklift Operator
Order Processor 3 (Current Employee) –  shafter,caJanuary 2, 2018
As a quick advancement from a order puller to a forklift operator, with already having a licence from previous jobs. A fast pace job great employee environment and understanding managers. There is no more room for advancement after being a forklift operator. Feel the need to expand in a company that is willing to move me up in a company rather than have me driving circles day in and day out.
Pros
allot of overtime
Cons
repetitive daily routines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hillman Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about