The Home Depot

The Home Depot Employee Reviews

United States58,030 reviews

Found 58,030 reviews matching the searchSee all 59,685 reviews
associatestorecustomerdepartmentcustomcashierretailgarden

No work/life balance, but decent people and pay

Home Depot paid pretty decent during my time there, but in my position there was no way for me to have a set or somewhat consistent schedule, which led to numerous shifts ping-ponging from starting at 5am to 9am, or closing with no real reason. Management was pretty good at my location and seemed to care about the people if you were doing your job right. Not a bad place to work, but not a long term one for me.

Pros

Decent people and pay.

Cons

unpredictable schedule, coverage

We are a family

We are a close knit family, who enjoy each other and work well together. We laugh a a lot but also work hard to give our customers the very best customer service experience possible. You could end up working in a department you don’t really like, and that is the only downside. You could also end up not really caring about that much because of the people you’re working with make it fun, and you end up really liking what you do after all.

The Home Depot insights

Based on 27,595 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

stupid

hated it good pay but terrible management. Managers always give tasks out to complete in little time while having to deal with customers. Managers will always look down on you.

Micromanaging and discriminatory

The management team does not care for the associates whatsoever. Underpaid and overworked. Any associate not part of the management team is treated as bodies and not real people.

Pros

Vacation time

Cons

No coverage, poor management

teen job

This job is a simple 8hr shift job, good hrs essay work if you don't mined being on your feet or standing about nice people good for teens or 2nd job..

HR and Management

I have worked under some very talented and smart management, But never have I been made to feel so horrible about myself but most of all to be talked down to and treated like I'm dumb, not important and no value. No communication all kinds of managing but lacking leadership and growth Communication makes a team

Pros

Customers, their benefits

Cons

Left out sad

Store to store basis

Depending on the store’s volume and management team it can go either way. Many frustrated with management and amount of workers present. Hourly pay is not compensated per associate. A person working 5 years can get paid less than a new associate.

Your coworkers make or break the environment.

My first year at Home Depot was enjoyable enough for me to not even notice all the bad stuff about the job, but solely because of the environment my coworkers made. As soon as that environment changed it became a hellscape very quickly.

Kinda sucks

It was alright as a job but management will constantly accused you of not working yet never bring it up to you or ask what you're working on. They don't understand the basic needs to do the job well and take away the resources you need saying they're "unnecessary" for you to do your job. Frequently have to use other departments things and you'll get in trouble for leaving your department

Seems good at first

Hired permanent full time, then when they wanted me to stay, they told me I was doing a great job. The next week, they cut my hours to part time and when I checked, I was only a temp hire. There is no communication skills, and there was no effort to change my hours to what was promised. Because of the change, I lost all benefits and the ability to receive bonuses. I am currently on my second week of trying to get my last paycheck that they are withholding from me. They pretend to care about employees and customers, but they really do not.

Worth it as part time

Walking all shift getting items throughout the store. Doesn't get boring when busy. When not busy, you can learn about the products in the store. If curious, can even learn from customers and their projects.

Bad management and terrible pay

Management at this location is absolutely horrendous. They don’t care about you as an employee. Also, I was certified to drive three different heavy machinery and was not paid more for the work. Pay doesn’t match the amount of work you have to do.

Good work for underacheivers

leaves much to be desired, I worked as a cashier and upwards movement seemed almost as if a myth. Some cashiers had worked there for over 20 years and still made about as much as the newly hired cashier did. I suppose it is a good job for retired people trying to stay busy.

Pros

decent pay, low stress

Cons

Lack of Promotion

Co workers

Home Depot is a good place to work. They could stand to pay a bit better, but everyone says that! They are pretty good with PTO, but really depends on the store and the managers Every store is so different, they do work with appointments and spur of the moment quite well

Good culture, good corporate leadership

Good for a big box type company. Managers are a mixed bag. Some are amazing, some make you want to quit. Do your job well, and you'll have a job as long as you want.

Pros

Good benefits, vacation, and company culture

Cons

Pay is lower than it should be, though not awful .

Great employees and environment

The employees make working there enjoyable and fun there are no boring days at the home depot. a few managers leave stuff to be desired but most are down to earth chill people.

Everyone is spread too thin and no workalike balance

Managers have unreasonable expectations for employees but especially supervisors. Management is unsupportive and doesn't take the time to develop associates or provide learning opportunities.

Pros

Job Security

It's a easy job but not the best place to work

My job is incredibly easy I just stand there but the people I work with in higher positions are also lazy depending on who and also rude sometimes. Head cashiers here suck and don't do there jobs and management blames everybody but themselves for issues. It is good pay for ease of work but everything else is not the best

Great culture, terrible pay

Pay is terrible for what they expect of you and you don’t get any additional pay for certifications. Like other retail, there is a good amount of drama.

Pros

Good culture, good customer base

Cons

Pay to work ratio

Productive and caring work place

I am happy to be apart of the Home Depot family. They are very understanding when it comes to the employees. Very caring if you have hardship your not alone

Pay is okay

The pay is okay for the work. You spend a lot of time outside in extreme weather so make sure to be hydrated. Lots of heavy lifting as well. For 15 dollars an hour, it’s pretty mediocre pay for the work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Home Depot.
Powered byComparably