The Home Depot Employee Reviews

39.1K
22.6K
11.7K
Found 35,313 reviews matching the search See all 38,302 reviews
good and dependable job with good benefits for unskilled workers
General Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 22, 2018
I learned how to manage and train other associated in a stressful fast paced environment. teamwork and hard work always encouraged. Decent pay and good benefits.
Pros
occasional free lunch. merit based rewards and overtime pay
Cons
stressful and physically demanding work environment
Good practice honing my customer service skills
Customer Service & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAJuly 22, 2018
The most enjoyable aspect was having good positive interactions with the customers. I worked mainly in the paint department but if you
need to take a break you learn to take the orange apron off or you may not get a break. The apron is a customer magnet and for good reason. Customers do expect you to be all knowledgeable about the
entire product lines and also the exact locations of specific items.
It was fascinating to learn the art of mixing custom colors and being
able to adjust a hue to meet my customers preferences.
My final comment regarding fellow employees is that they have an
amazing amount of stamina to work as hard as they do. I also learned more about how much responsibility the shift managers have
to take on. Management positions are not for the faint of heart.
In summary I would go back to work at The Home Depot when the
timing is right. It is a good place to make and keep new friends.
Pros
Barbecues & paid holidays
Cons
Erratic work schedules & shortage of radio/scanners
Productive, my co-workers make my job enjoyable.
Asst (Current Employee) –  Granbury, TXJuly 22, 2018
When I first started working there it was different, it was my first job after 23 years in the Navy. It felt rewarding and satisfying. I come to the Pro desk and it usually is busy right away, taking material orders to phone sales to cashiering. The hardest part of my day is to disappoint customers by not being able to help them with their needs.
The last three years have been great, no matter what kind of day I was having I always felt my management had my best interest at heart. Over the last few months that feeling has changed, I just find hard to work for management I can't trust.
Pros
Friendly and happy co workers.
Cons
Performance based promotions.
Fast past
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 22, 2018
As head cashier I worked closely with management and handled customer concerns. Trained new cashiers and kept front end running on time with lunch and break schedules.
Pros
Very good healthcare
Cons
Turnover in management
Good place to work and lots of opportunity to grow. You get to learn a lot about stuff about home improvement working there.
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 22, 2018
Relaxed and laid back job but when it gets busy it gets busy! You get a chance to be crossed trained which is also a plus. Also get a chance to be trained on all lift equipment.
It's a fun place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 22, 2018
I enjoyed working here as well. The only reason I left was because I was trying to better myself. I actually learned somethings there about plants and what looks good in yards.
Pros
They had a food truck out front which was great until it stopped
Cons
Breaks weren't long enough and the concrete floors
Great company, entitled customers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 22, 2018
The overall company is great; supportive, lenient attendance policy, relaxed work environment. Customers tend to be rude, and expect you to make the impossible happen. Pay is better than most call centers, but expect higher pay from a thriving company, based on how much customer support does for the customers. Someone employed 6 months are somehow promoted before a 6 year employee. I understand one may perform better, but I think it's better to invest more training into someone who knows the company like the back of their hand. Compared to more training for someone who isn't very knowledgeable yet, and will likely need help in their new position.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, activities, Homer Fund to assist employees in need, optional overtime of available
Cons
Rude customers, slow advancement, little pay for amount of stress/work effort
a great place to work for...
SEASONAL MANAGER/ASS0CIATE (Former Employee) –  Gardwood new jerseyJuly 22, 2018
I really love working at home depot helping customer with their project or help them solve problem. Love doing great things for home depot. I miss it.
Pros
getting award for great work
Cons
poor managerment
fun place to work
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  waukegan, illinoisJuly 22, 2018
Great place to work fun and friendly environment. It was like a family with the other coworkers. Work was fun helping customers it was something new everyday
N/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 22, 2018
The management was not the best. It was a very slow paced environment. As cashiers, we stood at the end of the aisle, anticipating customers' arrivals. Even during Black Friday it wasn't as busy as one would imagine.
Overall amazing place to work with hits and misses
Flooring Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJuly 21, 2018
Overall the home depot was a great place to work at throughout my 8 years with the company. Although i dont agree with the way i was terminated i have nothing but respect for the coworkers and management. Thought i was overworked and underpaid for what i did and scheduling was never fair
Good PT job
Customer Service Associate (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYJuly 21, 2018
Very busy all day long. They assigned your schedule and every week was all over the place sometimes opening other times closing, so it was a long day.
Pros
Good PT Job
Cons
Hard to get Full Time, some managment asked if certain employees wanted full time, while others were not asked when they told them they wanted full time.
Loved the people I worked with, management has lots of favorites, no one took anyone seriously when it came to working
Head Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester vaJuly 21, 2018
It's a good company, just not treated fairly by management. I love my coworkers and many of the customers that come in daily or weekly. I think I'm just ready to move on to something better and something I can further my education in.
Pros
An hour lunch
Cons
They expect you to know the work before being trained, they don't treat you fairly
Home Depot
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 21, 2018
Every day varies, depending on associates management and customers. One good thing about Home Depot is they will train you on site for your department. Most of the time you will have good co workers to help when your out on the floor with those little questions. The hardest part of the job is if you are understaffed and are having to take care of multilple departments. And one of the best things about Home Depot is the friends you make, after a while they become your family.
Pros
Paid holidays and benefits
Cons
Quick turn around leads to understaffing
Love it
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Boerne, TXJuly 21, 2018
I loved every aspect of what I did working for the Home Depot. I only gave notice because I started my own business. A contributing factor was the hours. Home Depot does not have set shifts and as a manager you are required to work a wide range of hours. It was also difficult to get a weekend off. Also to move up in the company to an assistant store manager you are required to work even more hours and you are put on salary
Pros
loved working with customers
Cons
variety of hours
Department Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCJuly 21, 2018
I enjoyed working at Home Depot. It was fun helping customers to figure out and complete their projects. I would recommend this job to others that like working with their hands.
Pros
Fun Job
Cons
Hard floors
customer service driven
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 21, 2018
we are told to sell the customer what they need, not what they want. that means if a customer is wanting a new toilet because the old one is not working right, we will sell them a repair kit and explain how to fix the problem for a fraction of the cost of a new toilet, which builds customer loyalty.
Pros
work with associate who are very well versed in their related fields.
Cons
not enough associates to help customers.
Cashier work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Porter, TXJuly 21, 2018
Enjoyed helping customer and variety of tasks. Had to be in garden whether it was freezing or hot as Hades for hours with no relief. Preferential treatment of cashiers, other staff. They received $100 bonuses for doing nothing but stand there instead of helping customers. Manager knew nothing about running the store-didn't like to get his hands dirty. First thing he did was remodel his office. Staff room didn't even have a proper trash can with a lid! No chance for advancement-dusty environment. Workers and customers ripped off Home Depot like crazy, stealing tools, wires, cash and everything else possible.
Place has gotten worse each year. New manager stayed one year then moved on with his cronies.
Pros
vending machines
Cons
lousy workers stayed, good ones left.
Poor salary and management
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85086July 21, 2018
The pay was not satisfactory for such a physical job and worse. I had licenses for all the equipment and i didn't get a dime extra for it. I am using a forklift that can destroy property and harm someone and i get my base salary for it. The cashiers make as much as me and they do far less work.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Poor management, bad pay and cut throat environment
Work is routine
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLJuly 21, 2018
Starting a new position was fun and exciting. The work became routine with very little recognition for going beyond job expectations. Very little opportunities for advancement from this position. General morale of associates is low.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

76out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Home Depot.

Powered by Comparably