The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 39,562 reviews matching the search See all 42,851 reviews
USA Kitchen & Bathroom Designer - Part Time (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 17, 2018
I was a Kitchen and Bathroom Designer during the end 90's early 2000's when the industry was booming. I learned alot about kitchen & bathroom design. The company provided numerous training classes during this time. The workplace culture is geared in a lot of ways toward the employee, which is great. Some of these perks fell by the wayside over the years, but the one that never did was the ability for employees to move up through hard work and dedication.
Pros
Great upward mobility
Cons
not enough workers scheduled sometimes.
my home depot review
Flooring Associate (Current Employee) –  Rosedale, MD 21237December 19, 2018
A typical day at work is easy, or at least for me it easy it physical and a wide range of questions from customers. I learned a lot from painting to gardening to just a example. The management for the most part is very helpful in training and assisting associates with problems. The workplace culture at the Home Depot is family and friends like its a very warm place. The hardest part of the job is being understaffed at busy times. The best part of working at the is being to help out customers, yeah that do sound cheesy but its true.
Pros
good lunch breaks
Cons
no employee discount
Busy and no down time
Cashier / Trainer (Former Employee) –  Payson, AZJanuary 4, 2019
We were expected to hit the floor running and everything should be completed by the end of your day.

There were always special ones who got away from not following the rules with out any recourse. While others who followed the rule were usually used as examples of what should not be done. Typical work place issues with lack of knowledgeable management.
Pros
Business that will be always in business
Cons
Need your own motivation to do your best all the time.
Loved working with my team and meeting customers
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 8, 2019
you basically had a list of projects to do for the day, then once you got done with that you helped other team members achieve their list. I learned about different products the THD sells which are great products. Parts of management could be on the floor more frequent, ready to assist customers. Great place to work at. Most people did their jobs correctly, but the ones that didn't should of been held accountable for. Meeting people was great.
Responsible for great customer service
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAJanuary 11, 2019
Productive and rewarding workplace. Wonderful Managers, always willing to teach and help out. My day included making sure my employees received breaks and lunches, teaching cashiers, making sure each cashier had money in there registers providing support and great customer service. observing the front end to make sure all customers were taking care of no matter what the need. Sending all money up at the end of shift, cleaning filing drink machines and locking doors.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
Being short staffed
Best Company
Asset Protection Specialist & Safety Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 3, 2019
The best company I have ever worked for, I wish I never left in the first place only reasons why I left was because I was offered a better position somewhere else which happened to fall through a few weeks after leaving. the only down fall I have with Home Depot was that they listed me as non re-hirable after turning in my two weeks notice and working the rest of the remaining two weeks as promised. I am a little disappointed at that but if I could go back to working for the same manager I would in a Heartbeat.
Overall pretty good place to work
Flooring Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CADecember 27, 2018
The Home Depot is a relatively good place to work. For the young person just getting into the workforce it offers a great opportunity to learn and work in a variety of different departments. A new employee can gain vast knowledge about different trades from the training and information received from the many contractors and laborers that shop. Staffing and salary should be better but overall ok place to work
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Pay and understaffing
Great environment for networking and learning trades such as electrical, plumbing etc.
Merchandising Execution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2019
A typical day at work as a manager can be challenging but also enjoyable. Working with numerous people like customers and associates is enjoyable for me. I've gained so much knowledge with my time at the Home Depot and met a lot of positive people along the way. The hardest part of my job was dealing with multiple personalities and associate's complaints. other than that I really enjoyed my job.
Pros
Holiday events and bonuses
Cons
Communication
Fun until it wasn't
Department Manager/Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAJanuary 7, 2019
Home Depot was a great place to work especially if you wanted to learn about home improvement. While working there I was able to work in several departments and take several classes on installing, building, using different tools, how to paint, and even electrical wiring. Also with as many stores as they have I was able to transfer to different cities and even different states. I worked jobs from answering phones to placing orders to being a department manager on my way to being an assistant manager.

Hardest part of the job was getting seriously injured on the job that put a stop to my career advancement.
Pros
Transferability and training
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
Great Company but Store Falters a little
DESIGN CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMDecember 31, 2018
I love the company, but had issues with assistant mangers in the particular store I worked at constantly contradicting each other and even sometimes themselves. At a certain point it also felt that some employees (including leadership) intentionally did things to make the new store manager look bad.
Pros
Great benefits, Company Training, and Great Pay!!!
Cons
Bullying, targeting people, and intentional bad work ethics on occassion
The MET Team is a great part of the store. Glad to be on that team.
Merchandising Execution Associate (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 15, 2019
Great company to work for. I always encourage the younger generation while in college to work their. Great opportunities.
They just need to pay the employees a little more money to do the type of work that has to be done especially in MET, Lumber, Flooring, Garden, Hardware, really all the departments. Cashiers need at least $12. It use to be like that until someone changed it.
The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting and helping the customers putting smiles on their faces every time.
Pros
A lot of opportunties to grow in the company.
Cons
Need to raise wages $12.00 - $15 for any warehouse
monthly work shop for children of all ages
Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTDecember 26, 2018
I was a Garden Associate, with the responsibility of doing a walk thru at the begging of my shift making sure the all over head pallets where in proper alignment to code. Watering of plants, pulling forward of products in isles and most important was to attend to all customers needs with any product in the indoor and outdoor products: lawn mowers, chain saws, leaf blower, any electric, gas product. Also with other items located in my area of work. I also learned how to make key. Helped customer locate other products through out the store.
A very productive work place
Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INDecember 17, 2018
A typical day working there was fast paced and competitive
I learned about different products and how to make sure the customer leaves happy a satisfied
the management was okay there for the most part
the culture of the workplace was great got to meet lots of new people
The hardest part of the job was continuously finding something to do when business got slow when it was time for the store to close
the most enjoyable parts of the job was the competitiveness
Pros
can earn different bages, bonuses, and giftcards
Cons
you could work hard but not all will be noticed, the mojority will go un- noticed making it hard to obtain awards, an bonuses
Hard work
Part time - Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2018
Home Depot is a great company to work for. There's definitely job security. However they are hesitate to hire full time staff. Most employees are part time. Also the pay is better than most retail stores, however keep in mind just about everything in Home Depot is heavy (tile, appliances, lumber, quikrete, etc). All employees do a lot of heavy lifting. Some departments more than others. It can be back breaking work and you're also expected to stand on unforgiving concrete floors all day. Not to mention the chemicals from all the products that you breathe in. It's just not a job for everyone.
Pros
Stability and work around your schedule
Cons
Pay is not the best and can be detrimental to your health
Great
Appliance Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI 48083January 3, 2019
A typical day at the Home Depot is customer satisfaction meaning to help a customer from A to Z. While working at the Home Depot, I learned how to manage credit card accountants for customers who needed credit to purchase appliances for their home. The culture was customer service as well as congenial to everyone that worked there. However, to me the hardest part of the job to me was big sale days. Enjoyable part was seeing every customer happy they were able to buy what they wanted from my assistance.
Usually pretty easy, can be stressful at times
Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Ludington, MIDecember 27, 2018
Great place for the target hirable demographic that the Home Depot survives on, retired folk that don't need money and just want something to keep them busy. They pay just enough to survive and spout a lot of jargon and propaganda that sounds great until you've been there long enough to see through the facade. Usually your fellow employees are pretty decent people, of course there are exceptions to that.
Pros
Provided food semi-regularly
Cons
customers
great place to work if your there for the money and FULL TIME
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CADecember 17, 2018
They exploit the majority i not all of the part timers in certain Home Depot. The hire you with the impression that its home and family oriented and it was before they started becoming super competitive with other franchises and once Amazon was our only competitor. Working Customer service had a laundry list of job descriptions. Mangers do their best the problem is with CORPORATE.
Pros
They pay the laziest people the absolute most
Cons
short breaks, always drama over using your hard earned sick hrs
Fun & Challenging Place To Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GADecember 19, 2018
Working in Customer Service was very fast paced. I loved it. It was a challenge. I enjoyed the working environment and family oriented atmosphere in that department. There was always opportunity to work in different departments to become more knowledgeable.

Home Depot does a great job reaching out to the community. They are always encouraging employees to get involved with various committees.

I had the opportunity to serve on the VOA & Safety Teams
Pros
Working environment, Challenging, Fast Paced
Cons
Flexibility of hours, pay
Good place to work while going to school
Order fullfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Paducah, KYDecember 21, 2018
They are flexible with scheduling and the store manager seems to really care about your education if you are attending college while working here. I enjoyed my coworkers and I get along with management. It is a very physically demanding job especially in order fullfillment. i walk on average 8-10 miles per 6 hour shift plus all the lifting. I do enjoy it, though at 40yrs old it is taking a toll on my body. If you don't mind manual labor it's a good place to work while going to school.
Pros
Flexible hours, good managers, fun employees.
Cons
manual labor, pay is inline with Walmart, but not with what a forklift operator would normally get.
Review Summary of Working at The Home Depot
Cashier Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLDecember 19, 2018
The Home Depot gave me my first ever expirience and retail. I met a lot of amazing, talented and riven individuals who all enjoy working together for a common goal. The most enjoyable part of the job were definetely the way they treat the associates -- in terms of rewards and get togethers. Almost like company bonding. Hardest part of the job personally? Was my issues with scheduling.
Pros
Great Benefits, Breaks, Expirience, Great People
Cons
Not as Flexible As they say

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

513.4K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Home Depot.

Powered by Comparably