The Home Depot
Happiness rating is 67 out of 100

The Home Depot Employee Reviews for Lumber Associate

Pay should be better for all that is expected of the associates. helping customers is usually fun but can be stressful if they have no clue what they are doing.
Everyone was fun to work with, great job, but it wasn’t for me, I just didn’t think it was something I was liking, plus I wanted to make full time but I was only getting part time
I was assigned to Lumber when I was hired, and we worked very closely with our Millwork and Deliveries teams on a daily basis. If you're in Lumber you'll probably be helping with deliveries on top of your normal duties. I was lucky enough to have the best team I ever could've asked for. Nearly everyone in my store was truly a delight to work with. My supervisor was patient, stuck with me, and made sure I knew everything I needed before he dropped me into the Lumber department alone. That's probably a very rare instance in all honesty, but I'll never forget my time working at the Coon Rapids store. I had a lot of personal problems during my time there, and management always gave me as much time as I needed to get things in order before I came back. It's a great gig for young people looking for an active job with lots of opportunities to learn new skills. Lumber and Garden are going to test your patience more than most other departments, but you're well-compensated and you'll learn a lot. I only left because a personal situation forced me to, so if it were up to me I would still be there.Just don't let them assign you as a cashier if you can help it, the mental anguish isn't worth it and most of the cashiers I know would rather be walking around the store than standing in place.
Pros
Plenty of breaks, pays pretty well, plenty of training, great benefits, and LOTS of free food
Cons
If you're in Lumber you'll probably be staying late most nights, managerial conflict can sometimes make things difficult, and you might be dropped into your first shift alone if HR doesn't pay close attention to scheduling
managers manage on fear by threatening to write you up, and expect you to to your job plus more and if you only do your job you get reprimanded for not doing enough.
Pros
people are great
Cons
always scared of the managers
good for a highschool or college kid. room for growth if you want a career also. flexible hours, decent pay and a good team to work for. employees good also.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
retail
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Great learning experience to work here. All of your co-workers are amazing minus the 1-3 people that put your work day down. Stay positive and if you love helping people and learning about renovations this is the place for you!!
Pros
Benefits, training, good work atmosphere
Cons
Schedules
There is no room for advancement the culture is one of oppressive by the managers who seemed to enjoy ordering people around. Would not recommend this company
The Home Depot is probably one of the worst companies to ever work for. I regrettably spent 3 years working there, but I have since moved on from that fact since I knew that it was a means to end for me to enter the engineering/construction industry (I was an engineering student at the time I got hired). As soon as an engineering opportunity was presented to me, I was gone.I got hired as a lot attendant and eventually moved inside the store as a building/lumber associate. The only pro I can really think of was that working there gave me the opportunity to master the basics of the construction industry (construction materials, methods, disciplines, plan reading, subcontractor lingo, etc.) something that proved extremely valuable to me because when I finally got an actual engineering job, I was light years ahead of every entry level engineer because I knew how work was performed in the field. Also some of my coworkers were great people and I developed friendships outside of the workplace with them. However, they were very far and few and between and most of them are idiots.The Home Depot does not care about their employees at all. They are very anti-union because being unionized will prevent them from abusing their employees. The pay was poor, considering the amount of work they expect you to do. I truly feel bad for some employees there that spent 10-15 years of their lives because they saw it as a career. Management is also very poor. They are so incompetent beyond belief and full of ego and get off with telling employees what to do repeatedly, as if we did not get the message - more...
Cons
Got there just as a few people were leaving. Started off with 4 people in the department and by the time I left, I was the only full time employee. When I asked for help (multiple times), I was never given a straight answer yet I was constantly being told that I was behind on what they needed. They hired people for other departments but left me to fend for myself in the largest department in the store
Pros
pay well, coworkers are great
Cons
management
Working there was a lot of fun. Great people and great management. Got the opportunity to be certified on equipment like a forklift and a reach truck with opportunities to learn to operate other machines.
Pros
plenty of breaks and a good amount of time for lunch
I feel it is very good to start with in a poin of getting a job for part time and pocket change money but not so a career to move forward with for plans of doing big things in the future
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Customer Service and lack of staff for certain dept
Ran skeleton crews always to make numbers look bigger. Totally reduced customer service which they pride themselves on. Never have seen so many angry customers do to lack of staffing. Couldn’t wait to get out, I liked the job.
Pros
Pay decent
Cons
Culture was horrible just as everything I read stated before I applied.
Originally i worked in the garden center but after a few months i was transfered to lumber dept. Where i worked till i was terminated . its hard to be motivated and want to come to work when you know you are going to be the one doing all the hard work while everyone else just stamds in the isle and talks and then brags about how they have worked there 17 years.
Pros
Free water hour lunches
Cons
Dont make enough to spend money on lunch
home depot is a great job with a good culture but the amount of work expected from you is insane. The stores are constantly understaffed. I will say most of the people are very kind and have your best interest at heart.
I did fright for a year and learned where everything was and how to use different fork lifts. After my first year I worked in lumber for two years. The training at Home Depot is great. They do a great job with teaching you different products and making sure you are aware about the products you sell.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Pay
When I worked there I was the unloader for the lumber department and still expected to help the understaffed lumber department during business hours when I wasn't unloading. The hours were 4am till 1pm and the weekends off. The weekends felt too short and I got burnt-out in a few months. The management does not like you so they will do everything to run you off.
Pros
pay was higher
Cons
management plays favorites
Work-life balanceVery unprofessional management. One supervisor will tell you to do one task and the next day another supervisor will tell you the task wasn’t done and do it again or they’ll have you u do the task done. A lot of miscommunication among supervisors/managers. I’ve worked on days off and gotten written up weeks later and in trouble for working overtime. A lot of people are just walking off the job, quitting due to stress from management being unprofessional. There’s stuff on shelves that are 3+ years old. It’s hard to work with poor leadership like this.ManagementVery poor misguided management. A lot of miscommunication between supervisors and management. Which leaves associates confused about daily tasks.OverallHorrible management. Miscommunication between supervisors or lack of communication. Tasks are not equally shared among associates. Some merchandise is three years old and older and were still placing it on shelves. Unprofessional management.
Work-life balanceYou had to help customers the best you could celan your area of work restocking whatever it’s empty and continue but the most important thing was keeping safety between customers and associatesPay & benefitsI stared at 14.00 and hour and finished at 15.50
At best, THD appeals to individuals interested in working within a corporate culture imposes few obligations on employees but, as an offset, tends to pay very poorly in relation to what is asked of its employees. It is a fun place to work, but it's hard to imagine how anyone can work for THD long term without either a second job or a working spouse / partner to contribute to household maintenance.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Poor management support, lack of scheduling flexibility
The Home Depot is one of the main reasons why I was able to complete my education: my old store manager vouched my transferred, a two month old newbie, to another store was unheard of.
Pretty cool work environment as a lumber associate. We stack lumber into the shelves, really like the customer service we give to the customers. Make sure our department is always stocked and clean.