The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 425 reviews matching the search See all 47,168 reviews
Overall my experience at Home Depot
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2019
In working there, I learn so many tasks which elevated to so many levels, And I also received badges, for my many achievements within the company. I am also able to help the customers save 25 dollars off a Home Depot card to help them save money. I have also been placed as a head cashier when needed.
Job advancement opportunity.
cashier/ Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  1232 w north Ave Chicago il 60642July 6, 2019
Homedepot is a great place to work if you are a college student or high school and just trying to get quick money with not alot of experience. Advancement is fairly difficult if you don't have the greatest management team over you. But it is still a good place to work.
Team oriented and enjoyable with great break room
Merchandise Execution Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2019
A typical day at Home Depot consisted of a quick group meeting before being assigned a number of projects to be completed throughout the shift. As far as home improvement and store operations, each day provided an opportunity to gather new information and grow as an employee and as a person. Teamwork and communication were of the highest importance as many of the projects success depended on multiple tasks being completed independently and interdependently. At times as a team we found ourselves a bit short staffed which presented a challenge but we usually pulled together and got the job done. I really enjoyed learning about the home improvement business and working with a great group of people.
Too bad the pay isn’t worth it..
Deliveries Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2019
I loved the job, but man you would be work 20 years before you ever see 20hr. I use to do everything from loading trees to bringing refrigerators into 3rd floor buildings. 1yr later, I’m offered automatic raise into my pay of 20cents. Good schedule i had but I couldn’t survive for 10.20hr. Medical alone was offered $180 per check. I wouldn’t recommend this place for adults with children and illnesses.
Pros
Scheduling is some what flexible
Cons
The pay, promotions, benefits
Great Retail place to work for
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2019
Good company if you enjoy working retail. The associates can be in interesting . Flexible hours. Perfect for a second job. Good Career choice as well.
Sucks
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2019
This is a terrible place to work if you care about your well being. The physical strain is not worth it unless you're truly in shape and are a kid from high school.
Teamwork environment that was heavy work at times
Deliveries Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2019
The position was easy going and independent, even though I collaborated with all departments to complete orders. The workload would get heavy at times, but for the most part it was easy going order picking.
Pros
Don't work directly with costumers
Cons
Stressful at times
Starter job
Freight (operations) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2019
It's an OK place to work did overnights (drove me crazy) not really much to say about it its an retail store so expect the unexpected. Great job for high-school students
Pros
The team members
Cons
Supervisors can not make up they mins in how things should be done
Very socialble enviorment, fast paced, and extremly busy.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2019
I personally learned alot of leadership roles at the Home depot, safety standards especially how critical it could be in the environment, for accidents.
Pros
Free lunches, raffles etc.
Cons
Short breaks, short of staff.
Not much to say
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2019
It's ok benefits are too tier the managers suck. Co workers were pretty cool but not many did their job and you will get blamed for others inability to work.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2019
its a friendly enviroment,helpfull wirking staffs,not much fun of the management on my shift sometimes.but it was just a regular overnight shift.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Ok place to work
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2019
Ok place to work. I like most of the employees. Most of the employes are easy to get along with. most of the customers are nice and friendly. We receive a success sharing bonus every 6 months.
Good company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Home Depot ChicagoMarch 19, 2019
Good company to build relationships with v customers and understand the many areas of home Depot

Especially good for younger people to gain experience in so many areas.
Pros
Meet many people
Cons
No training
Love the company, just not the pay.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2019
Im still working for Home Depot, I’ve proven myself multiple times over and over that I am capable of moving up in the company. Hasn’t happened yet and my current pay doesn’t help me with my bills. My current management is great, I just feel we can do better at paying associates for what they do rather than what they think they do.
Pros
Fun, learned a lot, love the people
Cons
Low pay
Home Depot is a great place to work.
Cashier/Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2019
Again, there's a lot to learn about home improvement. Home Depot provides the materials necessary to make a house into a home. Its employees are pleasant to work with in addition to its prices being affordable.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Training
Hardware Department
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2019
Being able to do customer service and working with the customers was an experience. Just being able to and to act and connect with them when they were looking for the item that they were shopping for.
Fast paced with oppurtunity for growth
Paint Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2019
Learning all the departments helped with my overall position and goal. excellent customer service was a requirement for overall success. The coworkers were all amazing as well
Love the orange life
West North Avenue- Electrical Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2019
I loved working here. We all really were a family. We always checked in on each other and never forgot to say goodbye. They BBQ'd for us on mothers day, fathers day, memorial day and we had Christmas celebrations.
Pros
Ping pong table, break room filled with vend machines and enough places to sit, computer and locker room & everyone had their own locker
The Home Depot
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2019
This is a very generous . They really should have a better system of where to find things. The store is huge and not very well signed. The staff are friendly. They could use some more customer service training.
its fine, but...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  chicago area, ilFebruary 5, 2019
Overall it is a good job, the people I work with are friendly, the job is fun and flexible, the customers are nice and the management is helpful, but I'm still only making poverty wages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

514.7K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Home Depot.

Powered by Comparably