The Home Depot

The Home Depot insights

Based on 16,082 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Fun Place to Work

Great thing about HOME DEPOT is the profit sharing (success) party's they had every 6 months and the profit sharing checks and the associates are great along with the customers

Pros

Lots of free food

Cons

really can't say any thing bad about the place

Home Depot During COVID

Lack of communication stemming from upper management. Co-workers and customers were verbally abusive towards each other. Products were never in stock. Online orders could not be completed by physical stores. No communication between stores regarding inventory and order fulfillment. Workers hiding/avoiding customers.

Great work place environment. The staff is friendly and helps you succeed. Low stress job that requires some physical activity and some heavy lifting

Pros

Flexible schedule low stress

Cons

Na

Hours vary from week to week sometimes less than 20 hours

.26 cents through .40 cent raises! High turn overs and little room for advancement. Most jobs are part-time! Hard to find people for certain departments when needed.

Great company

This is a wonderful place to work. I enjoyed how I was treated with respect and it was easy to learn how to run the registers. There were many online interactive activities and modules you were to complete before stepping foot onto the floor.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Mgmt not accountable for their actions

Let go for working hard. 2-3 co-workers jobs at a time.manager disrespected me and threatened my job. Safety issues not adhered by management. Business issues not listened to. Problems with co-workers not believed. Pass me up for promotions to unqualified people.

Good work environment, peaceful, work at your own pace

My experience at Home Depot has been amazing, I was trained and partnered up for about a week until I got the swing of things, then I was assigned to a certain department to work every night. The management is great they check on me throughout the nights and offer me help on nights I have an overload of work.

Pros

Peaceful work environment, work at my own pace

Working in plumbing dept

Performed walk through on my 6 aisles. Correct any thing out of place. Boxes open, items on floor and restocking plumbing inventory. Enjoyed assisting customers requiring help.. My supervisor was knowledgeable and personable. Worked more than my scheduled hours.

Better than No Job

This company has reduced it customer service and training to the lowest common denominator. Employees are no longer valued for skills, abilities, or knowledge. The employees who did know anything or who enjoyed working at the "old Home Depot" have long been run off by unsensible policies or fired for bogus reason because they made too much money. If someone knew the business inside and out, was a hardworker with great customer service, and made $20/hr., they would fire them and hire 2 newbies for $8/hr. It is better math for them and the stake holders.

Pros

A job

Cons

Example of what US retail companies have become

Friendly Cashiers and Customers

I enjoyed going into wo.rk everyday and always put a smile on every ones face.I worked with the best people,made some awesome friends and meet the best customers.Home Depot was a great place to work.

Pros

food for employes, friendly co-workers

Cons

short breaks, no lunch hour

Very Hectic

A typical day started at 7pm and went on into the night. There was always a large truck that needed to be unloaded, which took no less than 1 hour and no ore than 2 hours.

Working the sales floor in a department

The day starts with walking the department to see if any products on the shelf need to be restocked. Sales are vitally important in retail. Work with customers who need product knowledge to make an informed decision of correct product to perform a job or project working on. Great interaction building rapport with customers is a must. Asking lower and higher order questions to get a clear understanding of the need of customer. Once day is over. Make sure the replenishment of the inventory is addressed to have product in retail to meet ongoing needs of product in demand.

Pros

working with customers

Cons

trying to keep area shopable and clean with multi-tasking

Reliable and Secure Environment

The Home Depot is a great first step opportunity for those looking for their first job. The company takes the safety and happiness of their employees seriously and gives them opportunity to work up the ladder.

Pros

More likely to be promoted, benefits

Cons

Pay

Love the Job

I work part-time in the garden department. This is a very fast-paced work environment that is not for the faint of heart. You will be expected to help customers, stock shelves, water plants, load cars, and much more while working in this department.

good pay, hour lunch

good paying by hour, hour long lunch, nice people, some what good management, hardest part of job was learning everything, most enjoyable was working with co workers

Pros

hour lunch, good pay

Cons

less breaks, long standing hours

Productive busy

I would open the registers on the opening shift, and distribute all the cash out. Greet customers and help with with anything I could possibly do. My coworkers were fantastic. I wasn't getting as many hours as promised when I was hired. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet tons of new people everyday and also seeing everyday customers. The hardest part was being on my feet all day.

good place to work

learned alot about hardware retail is a tough business,people and management were great to work with. supervising lumber and building is a lot of work. this department is the second biggest money maker for home depot.Ill miss the people I worked with.

Pros

worked 5am-1:30 pm m-f

Cons

receiving area is to small

Jessica Dailey

At work I would be welcomed by many fellow co-workers before going to my shift. During my shift, I would have to lift heavy boxes and stock lots of items. On weekends, I would have to assist other fellow associates. The managers always came around every so often to observe my work ethic and offer help, which is never a problem for me. The hardest part of my job at Home Depot was labeling items high on the ladder because I am only 5' 2", and wasn't able to reach few boxes, but I was able to find an associate who was willing to help me correct the issue. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know new people including customers and all the projects they work on. I learned to become more social, and I've stocked so much that I could direct people to the correct department to find exactly what they are looking for.

Pros

Friendly Co-workers and boss.

Cons

Difficulties lifting and labeling.

Great place for students to work

Great place for students to work, flexible with schedules. Pretty good compensation and benefits for part time employees.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

May put you in a dept with no experience

Nice seasonal position while it lasted

I loved working for home depot, they were friendly and they make sure you are ready to be out on the sales floor when you are done with your training.

Nice Place to work

I like working at the home depot, They are very flexible and the people are very friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

17.9K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

52%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

58%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss