The Home for Little Wanderers Employee Reviews

Fun, fulfilling and rewarding
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Walpole, MADecember 3, 2018
I enjoy working with the children from various economic and social back grounds. Working with children and their families using the Trained methods provided by the Home. By being MAP and CPR Certified gives me an insight of the medical side also.
Caring Co-Workers
DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR, OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2018
The Home is excellent for several reasons. My favorite reason because your commute difficulty is considered, and it is more important if you are administrative to do your job well than to adhere to random or not applicable rules. The Co workers are the most kind hearted and considerate people to work with.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
No Vacation time to be taken during Holiday Season
Great people/place.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 10, 2018
Stressful job without great pay, but amazing co-workers. Flexible hours and they'll cover the cost of whatever trainings you'd like to attend. Great place to get experience right out of school.
fun
Relief residential counselor (Current Employee) –  Walpole, MASeptember 25, 2018
a typical day is to Participate in groups and activities designed to enhance youth growth and development. Participate in both on-site and off-site recreational/educational activities. Maintain a safe and supportive environment. I like working with children because I learn from them.
the hardest part is to restrain a kid
wonderful place to work
Program Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAAugust 20, 2018
Plenty of opportunities to take on work as desired, overall I loved my experience at The Home. I was lucky to even be able to visit some of their group homes so I was able to see first hand the important work of The Home
Mission-driven organization made up of great people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MAAugust 14, 2018
The Home provides life-changing services to a wide range of in-need children and their families throughout eastern Massachusetts, and has done so for more than 200 years. While not perfect, there are a wide range of opportunities available here for people in a variety of disciplines. From mental health professionals to administrative staff, and from residential counselors to fundraising, the potential career paths are substantial.

Administration seems to understand that many of the employees of The Home have very challenging jobs because they have worked in those roles before themselves. Many of the leaders in the organization have come up through the ranks, and so they know firsthand the kind of support the employees need and deserve.
Pros
Strong benefits, various different programs, organization does excellent work to help the most vulnerable citizens of the Commonwealth
Cons
Headquarters in Brighton not super accessible
Corrupt
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAApril 30, 2018
administration did not care about the clients or their staffs well being.
lack of training
at times dangerous
clients were allowed to refuse school, they were allowed to vandalize staffs cars and smash windows etc,.. without punishment
it was awful
Awful Management
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAApril 9, 2018
When problems were given to the director they would listen to you, but when risk management would investigate they would pretend you have never talked to them. While at the home you are not valued for the work you do. Mandation was an everyday thing and you are not told about this until you are in training. Management did not care about you and would leave staff to handle situations they were supposed to. Very high turnover rate due to management not caring about you or your life outside of work. They tell you that the kids will burn you out but it’s not the kids, it’s management.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Awful work environment
Management needs to do better
Direct Care Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MAMarch 30, 2018
Better management, more training, better compensation. Management was all over. Too much favoritism not enough resources to accommodate all our clients.
Good for Entry Level
Family Partner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 28, 2018
One good thing that I can say is that they have an awesome PTO system. It makes sense because the job can get stressful at times. This is a direct care position.
Demanding on mental life
Residential Overnight Counselor (Current Employee) –  Walpole MaDecember 20, 2017
To be able to deal with the different backgrounds of troubled children can play heavy on the mind and heart. Just hearing about each kids issues and how they came to the Home is alot to deal with on top of everyday life.
Pros
Making a difference in a kids life
Cons
Hearing about how a kid got to the Home
Decent place to work
Program Director, Intensive Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 13, 2017
I was very busy throughout my workday and learned a great deal about personnel management, budget development/fiscal management, and organizational development, fundraising, and advocacy. The hardest part about the job was having four supervisors in 4 years. Most enjoyable were my staff, foster families,and children.
i enjoyed working with the children and staff
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Walpole, MAOctober 27, 2017
The hardest part of my work day is leaving for the night. Another important thing I like about working with the children at the home is that the children feel that they can come to staff with any issues.
Pros
cooking with the kids
Cons
lack of breaks
Excellent Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roslindale, MASeptember 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working with this company, meeting and getting to interact with families on a daily basis. If I had not relocated, I would still be working there,
Pros
Having events for families, close to home
generally positive culture with great people
Outreach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2017
HFLW is the place to be if you're invested in this type of work and want to build strong social connections with your coworkers. The work/life balance is not the best. The program asks a lot of your time and energy.
Job culture the worse
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJuly 16, 2017
If you tgrive in a non supportuve undermining enviroment then this is the place for you , tge turn around ia high staff get burned out quick and co workers main objective is sabotage
Pros
In the city close to activities
Cons
Lack a management support, funds and activities no theraputic rehabilitaion whatso ever
Its a great place to work
Family Partner/Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Roslindale, MAMay 22, 2017
This is the place that you work at right after you graduate college. It provides so may opportunities to work with people Young and old, different cultural background and class. The amount of experience that you gain is great..
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
In my department, there is no room for growth or higher pay
Stessful place to work
Per Diem Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 1, 2017
At home for little wanderers its a very stressful place to work in regards to making sure that the Clients have constant care round the clock. The atmosphere is very diverse and management is supportive.
Cons
Fun environment to work at with children.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAApril 23, 2017
This agency helped me to strengthen my clinical skills with children with emotional difficulties. I enjoyed working with a team and received support from my clinical supervisor.
Love it there
Intensive Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Roslindale, MAApril 18, 2017
Very supportive to staff and clients. Great company to work for.flexible hours. Family oriented and family goal based. Great benefits for employee. Apply here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home for Little Wanderers. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight