The Home for Little Wanderers

The Home for Little Wanderers Employee Reviews

United States57 reviews
I had one amazing supervisor however due to the culture of the office she moved on to another company. better management is needed and better work/.life balance
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Work too much
Was not a friendly place to work too much favoritism to certain staff and had or management there was too much of drug issues with staff and the older kids on campus the kids did damage to a lot of staffs personal belongs as well
I worked as a teacher. This position was difficult without the management support needed. I felt criticized without receiving support to improve how I performed my job.
A typical day at work was to ensure chores and ADL's were completed and up to date. The focus was to provide stability and structure to adolescents that had mental health illnesses and behavioral issues.
Managers don’t care about your personal life, all they want is shifts covered. If your not putting in many hours they will try to get rid of you. There is no work life balance.
Pros
Lots of training
Cons
Not a lot of support
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Every agency has its issues and The Home has struggled over time, at the same time, the current leadership shows commitment to improvement in diversity equity and inclusion, worker compensation and service delivery. I have been there 22 years so it can’t be all bad.
Very stressful place to work. Little support from administration. All you get is “well, that’s just our kids.” Kids aren’t held accountable for anything. Teacher’s pay is NOT competitive and you have to work all summer. Not to mention there’s a lot of demands on you outside the scope of a normal teaching position. You get paid much more in a public or charter school with summers off. Wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. Employee turnover is very high.
There is a mindset on this campus that there are staff that do their job, and staff that everyone knows doesn't care. Higher ups on the campus will acknowledge it and vent their frustrations to employees but instead of doing something about it, the staff that care are expected to do twice or three times as much work. There is very poor communication, and often residential counselors are not given information they need for client appointments, home visits, med changes, and incidents that happened earlier in the day until it is too late. We're expected to know everything the second it happens, even if we're not working, but there was almost no effort to communicate effectively.
I often found myself working doubles without a single break, extremely out of ratio in cabin, working well over an hour after I was scheduled to leave, being pressured into picking up extra shifts because I "didn't have a good enough reason not to", and using my own money to put gas in the campus vehicles because nobody knew where the gas cards were. Because of the lack of support from admin the culture between residential counselors (and residential supervisors) was extremely toxic and everyone is ready to throw anyone/everyone under the bus for the smallest thing. Especially on the weekends you could expect up to 5 or 6 last minute call outs, and so many of the staff were already working doubles or triples that we physically couldn't stay longer even if we wanted to.

Everyone on that campus is burnt out and its not good for the staff, and certainly not good for the clients.
In short I worked at The home for 13 years and I can honestly that besides one horrible supervisor who is no longer there I had great experience with management. The work was rewarding and being able to work with parents and children and see progress was very rewarding. The only change that I would suggest The Home really considering is the pay and opportunity for growth. After all the years working there by the time I left I only earned 39,500 a year. That the reason why I left the work can be very challenging and increase in pay would continue to keep the staff motivated. Also my other concern for the home is that if you do not have a masters degree you will become stagnant. They should have more leadership opportunities for staff and even if they don't qualify for certain positions they should consider the amount of years that staff dedicate to the home.
Pros
dedicated and great management team
Cons
Pay is too low and no room for growth
In-home therapy is in many regards social work. While the environment is rich and ripe for learning, as an art therapist, I have found that the paperwork and case management side of things leaves little room for creative planning. Compensation is on par with other agencies but keep in mind, the cost of living in Boston is outrageous; be prepared to take on a side job in addition to this job. Because of the low salary and necessity for alternative sources of income, burn out rate is high and frequent.
Pros
Excellent training opportunities, great team(s), fantastic supervision
Cons
Low pay, high stress, burnout
Although the work was manageable and definitely challenged me and kept me thinking, pre-existing conflicts with employees made it very hard to exist within the work environment. These conflicts often got in the way of staff meetings and ones ability to collaborate with multiple clinicians.
The mission of the Home is amazing, with tons of employees who are dedicated to helping children and families heal from trauma. With the exception of certain roles that are more shift based and have stricter requirements around scheduling, there is some flexibility around schedules and the company attempts to be accommodating as possible to your life and personal needs.

The biggest downside is lack of effective management at many levels. There are plenty of great supervisors and managers. There are also numerous leaders who lack the skills and ability to lead effectively, particularly as you go higher in the organization.
A typical day would be basically handling children and families. The workplace culture is cool and mostly everyone is friendly. Hardest part of the job is working super hard for basically nothing.
this job has extensive training, but when placed on the floor, is nothing like the training perceives it as. The Plymouth site is crumbling to pieces, with no control of the children, increased liabilities, 51A's as well as numerous great staff quitting.
Pros
building relationships with the children
Cons
everything else
As a foster parent, it really wasn't work. I enjoy working with children and the staff was supportive. Other parents were equally supportive of each other and will to help in all levels.
wouldn't recommend anyone to work at that specific location, but the The Home for little wonderers itself is a great company tp work for; just not that specific program.
Cons
no breaks, overworked
I would never work there staff are petty and rude. The company doesn't use resources for kids. Supervisors are rude, abuse power, and unprofessional to staff under them. Staff are always late I would never work there again!
Pros
None!
Worked for 2 years, experience was alright would consider working there again at a higher position. The children are a hard group to work with but once you build a bond it’s easy going!
Depending on what location you're at, your job could be incredibly fast-paced and stressful, or more laid-back and flexible. I was a social worker there and loved my time. I stayed for 8 years and only left because I had to move. Plus they give you SO much paid time off, it's unreal.
March 11, 2019
It's always great to hear such positive things about The Home from our employees, both past and present. Hope the move went smoothly and best of luck moving forward!
I enjoy working with the children from various economic and social back grounds. Working with children and their families using the Trained methods provided by the Home. By being MAP and CPR Certified gives me an insight of the medical side also.
March 11, 2019
We're very happy to hear that your experience is going so well!
The Home is excellent for several reasons. My favorite reason because your commute difficulty is considered, and it is more important if you are administrative to do your job well than to adhere to random or not applicable rules. The Co workers are the most kind hearted and considerate people to work with.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
No Vacation time to be taken during Holiday Season
March 11, 2019
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with The Home. We have to agree, our employees are pretty awesome. :)
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home for Little Wanderers. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight