The Homegrown Group Employee Reviews

Managment is unable to listen
Caterer (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAOctober 2, 2018
You are expected to take leadership roles with no pay increases. Your suggestions will be ignored and then implemented as their own months later with no acknowledgement.
Pros
Free shift meal, cool coworkers
Cons
Inept managment and senior managment
Fun First Job
Sandwich Partner (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 24, 2018
I worked here in high school and really enjoyed it. Tips are distributed evenly among all staff, including catering, so if there's a big catering order it can up your paycheck by a lot. My starting wage at the time was $10.50/hr. but with tips I was making $15-18/hr. Coworkers were very chill too for the most part and we became like a family.
Job for High School kids
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Danville, CAJuly 17, 2018
This place has a decent work environment. Tries to keep you busy majority of the time. Fun lunch rush if you are a hardworker and are quick in reaction time. There is slight favouritism, but if you just want a job for experience its a great job. The pay can be much more especially for living costs.
Pros
Up to $12 free lunch
Cons
Not enough pay
Fun but stressful
SHIFT LEAD (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAJuly 5, 2018
When I worked as a shift lead, we were very understaffed and ALWAYS busy. I was doing much more than the managers and was working almost twice the hours they were. I honestly felt like I was doing their jobs for them. But that being said I had a lot of fun working with my staff.
Pros
Great pay, fun work environment
Cons
very stressful, always busy, poor management
The atmosphere was great at first but then got worse over time
Sandwich Partner (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 20, 2018
The principals and message of the company are actually really great. But the people who were in charge ruined this place. Outside a few really good people in upper management, all of them were pretty ruthless and only cared about themselves.
Pros
the message and principals send a great message
Cons
Most of the management also almost no benefits
Homegrown
Sandwich Partner (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 17, 2018
A typical day included making many sandwiches and interacting with many customers. I learned great customer service skills and how to manage my peers. The workplace culture is fun and exciting.
Pros
Free Lunches and good breaks
Fast-Paced Busy Environment that does not pay enough
Partner (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 25, 2017
Homegrown's been around for a few years, and in its desired for growth, and now its a time for change. With their expansion, some of their initial mission statement have been dropped. Still, good food and a somewhat decent working environment. South Lake Union sandwich partners have all the stress and work environment a line cook has but without the pay that comes with the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Stressful environment, team unable to work together
Dnt even think abouy it
Sandwich partner / Cash handler (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2017
Terrible place of business terrible management and upper management (corporate ) Co workers are great the place is kind of dirty all the time it just a terrible place the worst job of MY LIFE
Pros
Cons
Everything i mentioned
Fun place to work
Sandwich Partner (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CASeptember 17, 2017
Its a fun place to work if youre in high school or still live at home with parents. If youre in college, its a bit harder. The pay is ok, not great. The manager will try to work with you and your schedule, but only if you want to only work and do nothing else. Some people are lazy and seem to get preferential treatment while hardworkers are overlooked. Its a bit disorganized too
Pros
free meal for every shift you work
Cons
want you to work hard for little money
Coworkers made it a fun job
Catering/driver (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 30, 2017
The team I worked with made it a fun job. Being able to see your results from start to finish of catering is very rewarding each day. As a Driver being able to see the city and seeing different companies and delivering your work is super awesome
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/a
No upward mobility
Shift Lead, Catering (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 28, 2017
Overall a great job for someone with no desire to advance. A great first job for a high schooler or college student. The most major benefit is the free lunches which helped sustain me through the lean times when I still had bills to pay.
Pros
lots of free food
Cons
No breaks, sporadic hours
Stressful environment with miserable coworkers
Sandwich Partner (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 26, 2017
A typical day at work starts off with everyone not wanting to be there, and goes on to be miserably hot, boring, and sluggish. Yet, it is a fast-paced environment, but with no one wanting to be there it's all a force to even get us to move.

The only enjoyable thing is the joking between coworkers. We have a great mutual bond over how much we hate working there. Also $12 allowance for food.
Pros
Free lunch, Coworkers
Cons
Environment, Culture, Management
Productive, Fun, Social
SANDWICH PARTNER (Current Employee) –  Danville, CAJuly 3, 2017
A typical day at work begins with prep, followed by lunch rush and a more relaxed evening with prepping, closing tasks, and a slow and steady flow of business. I learned a lot about the slow food movement here. Management is receptive, flexible and warm, with focused attention to the rules. Workplace culture is friendly, inviting, playful, but still focused. The hardest part of the job is enduring the lunch rush, and the most enjoyable part is certainly the people and the FOOD!
Pros
$12 meal credit/shift, enjoyable workplace culture, wonderful food, an ethical mission you can stand behind
Cons
Difficult to accumulate enough hours, raises difficult to acquire
Laid back environment with positive staff
Cash Handler (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 24, 2017
Working with Homegrown was a decent experience. The staff are positive and open minded, but there is the occasional workplace drama. I enjoyed the flexible hours and the meals. The company has an amazing administration with positive, customer service oriented mindsets.
Pros
One free meal with value of $12 every day
Cons
workplace drama
A very rewarding job experience
Caterer/Server (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 9, 2016
Working at Homegrown Sustainable Sandwich Shop was a valuable experience. I feel I learned a lot of skills and had many rewarding experiences with the HG crew. I was given a lot of responsibilities as a full time partner, and I really enjoyed being held accountable for them. I knew the general functions of the store, and I knew the importance of accomplishing all the tasks in the appointed time. I was taught how to open the store, manage it and set up for lunch rush. I was also apart of the catering crew, being part of a team was exciting and I was very motivated in continual improvement. I learned how to be cool under pressure and the importance of being consistent.
Pros
Free food, trusted with responsibilities, personable and flexiable manager
Cons
Hetic when understaffed, unprofessional shift leads
Productive enjoyable work space
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WAApril 30, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me arriving to the job site, opening if I work in the mornings, and starting on line work. I learned how to work the cashier, prep work, line work, catering, opening and closing, clean up, sanitary working environment, and a lot about the company Homegrown. I also took an espresso class. The management was good, employers were very considerate of employees needs and requests. Very helpful. Co workers were kind and helpful. Hardest part of the job was waking up at 5 am on weekends and taking a 2 hour bus to job site. Most enjoyable part of job was an environmentally friendly work space with good morals. I thoroughly enjoyed how healthy the food was and how much the company considered their guests.
Pros
free lunches, good morals, healthy food, environment friendly
Fast Paced, Friendly, Team Atmosphere
Catering Lead (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 16, 2016
Catering early mornings and long afternoons, deliveries across greater Seattle area. High volume, high profile customers. Learned how to lead a team and complete large projects.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Homegrown Group. Our community is ready to answer.