The Houston Chronicle Employee Reviews

If you want to work for free sign up.
Carrier Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2018
Three papers on contract for two weeks and was never paid. There was always some pay glitch excuse. Fact is I think someone in management does this routinely to new carriers and pockets the funds.
Pros
Cons
No pay
Eh?
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2018
My time at this place was rather interesting. The work was decent enough. However, the hours and lack of time off was rather annoying. I did enjoy working at night. That was one enjoyable aspect.
Payroll
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2018
A very personable company. Coordinated payroll personnel and oversaw payroll transactions and answered phone call both internally and externally concerning payroll matters.
Pros
work environment
Cons
department changes
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2018
wonderful atmosphere. feel good working with the smartest people in the journalism industry. older company with a youthful outlook on the future. great place to launch a career.
Pros
company poker games
Cons
huge building
Great camaraderie with immediate coworkers
Senior News Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2018
Enjoyed working with seasoned journalists who had a wonderful sense of humor.
Collaboration was effortless.
Ample opportunity to expand my knowledge of pagination technology.
Deadlines were stressful but brief.
Loved that I never had to take my work home with me - every day was a new news day.
Loved working with people who were aware of current events - it kept me sharp.
But I left the newsroom in 2004, so I have no idea what the work environment is today.
Pros
Reading the newspaper each day was my job prep before going in to work
Cons
Having to work through dinner to meet deadline; working late nights, weekends, holidays
used to be great
Carrier/Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2018
once was a great comany but with the downfall of the paper industry and major cutbacks it got to be more work with less pay, hard to stay afloat in company
Decent job
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2018
Roll and deliver the Houston Chronicle newspaper everyday/7 days a week in the rain, cold and heat. Its nice because you only work maybe 4-5 hours in the early morning, then you have the rest of the day to yourself. Its very independent work. It would be a nice job if you were getting accurate pay for the work you do.
Pros
short working hours, independence and free time for the rest of the day
Cons
use your own car & gas, 7 days/week including all holidays, not enough pay
A fun and collaborative place to work.
Journalism Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2017
I was an intern at the Houston Chronicle and I wrote some local news stories and features while also covering some high school football games. I also I copy-editing of the weekly paper before it went into production.
not a healthy place to work
Distribution Aide (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2017
I worked 4 years 7 days a week. at many locations. They do not treat the carriers well. Also management plots against each other as well as employees. If I had to say something good about this company it would be that the carriers are wonderful people they are the back bone and heart of this company.
Pros
carriers
Cons
ceo
cash car job
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
this job has no off days, and it doesn't pay nearly as much as it should I would suggest this job if one just has a cash car and too much time on their hands
Pros
off during the day
Cons
everything else
Very diverse and great people
Single Copy Zone Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2017
The people made it an enjoyable place to work. I loved coming in early morning and learn some tricks in the trade from the tenured managers. I also loved the open door policy.
skills
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2017
This job is just good as an entry level position to customer service/payment agent. Their is really no career opportunity unless you are looking to go back to school and study journalism or something. It pays $10/hr
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
no advancement
I loved working at the Houston Chronicle
Editorial - Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2017
The Houston Chronicle was a big part of developing my strong skill set; experiences with great customer service. I worked with a nice group of caring people.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
High turnovers
Company is in turmoil
REGIONAL ACCOUNT RETENTION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXOctober 27, 2017
Company is constantly changing management and compensation plans. Managers try their best but their requirements from their bosses is constantly changing. There is a new compensation plan every month or so making it confusing and harder for sales people to make money.
poor
Sales (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2017
arrogant executive management, stressed middle management, low moral, sales support that is not allowed to think, low salaries, and a constantly changing commission plan.
Good company with bad upper management
Marketing Database Analyst, Sr (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2017
I like my jobs as a consultant to advertisers. However, I feel like the Chronicle lacks good management structure. There's no room to grow for employees and no incentives for people who work hard.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Bad management, no room to grow
stable and fun environment
Lead sports designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2017
As far as newspaper companies go, the Chronicle and its parent company, Hearst, have been by far the best I've dealt with in my decade-plus in the journalism business.
good managers, employess and overall atmosphere
Lead Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2017
processed invoices, purchase orders, check request, vendor maintenance, lease payments, reconciled bank statements, processed weekly wire transfers, processed 1099's and year end. lead AP specialist for 8 employees, assisted accounts payable manager
best newspaper in the country
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2017
truly was an experience to remember. lots of great people i worked with there shared there knowledge and wisdom helping me advance my career and utilize my skill.
GREAT Employer
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2017
The Chronicle was a great company to work for. We had an excellent team and had a great environment. I learned a great deal of skills working for the company and was provided with many opportunities to advance my skills in the IT industry