The Idaho Statesman Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Self employed
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 22, 2017
This is a good job if you have nothing else to do and what to make good decent money for a 2nd job only hassle is it's self employed and is a 1year contract that is needed signed .
insecure
In 2000 promoted to Help Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 27, 2017
Papers are dying.
The Idaho Statesman has been sold multiple times.
There is no job security.
They are out sourcing all that they possibly can.
Some of the time the directors could not do their employees jobs.
I worked productivly
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 14, 2016
Going to work around midnight and get done around five in the morning. i would go in get the bundles of newspapers, fold each paper into thirds and put them in plastic bags. then load the 150 papers into the car and drive to the house or business to be delivered on the route was given to me.
A Journey
SENIOR DISTRICT SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 9, 2016
While this job could be very challenging at times I loved it. It kept me on my toes and every day was different. I learned to work with lots of different people from many different backgrounds.
A good Place to work for.
Design Services Artist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 15, 2015
I didn't have a typical day...I did multiple jobs with different hours, which actually work for both me, and the team. Monday & Tuesdays were late night pagination shifts. I did my design job, plus prepared the paper for printing, marrying the ads with the daily news. when I had completed the final proof on each page it would approve it, and send it to the printer. Also on those days I would adjust all the photos for the news articles. Wednmesdays & Thursdays were evening design shifts. I would finish the days work and do all the photos. Fridays were the morning shift where i would do design and finish all the ads for the paper for the weekend up until Tuesday.

Through a Lynda program I learned how to create animated advertisements for the website in Adobe Flash. I did Online design for three years

I also learned a online template program called Wave 2. It was an automated ad program that I set up on the back end for real estate agents and funeral homes to place their own ads.

Along with the advertising I did Marketing Materials for all aspects of the Daily Paper.
Pros
Gym, Flexible Schedule, Great Production Team
Cons
Furloughs, Wage Freezes, benefit package kept getting worse.
I enjoyed the independant nature of the work
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 7, 2014
Average day would start around 2 am and end around 7 am. Delivering newspapers to a rural route. Driving in all weather conditions approximately 125 miles a night.

Management was good to work for. The only time there was communication with them was in the event there was a problem with something.

The best part of the job was that I was completely independent to do my job, I could take my dog with me to deliver my route.

The worst part of the job was that it was 365 days a year and there was a lot of wear and tear on my vehicle approximately 50,000 miles per year.
Pros
independence
Cons
365 days a year
free paper every morning
Contract newspaper delivery (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 21, 2014
delivered news paper every morning . reading address. only seen the manager one or twice. i work out of my car so there were know coworkers. getting up at 0400 in the morning to get my papers. it was fun to make a game out of it and to try to see if i could beat my delivery time every day.
Pros
getting people the news
Cons
0400 in the morning every day
Over worked
Delivery (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDMarch 29, 2014
The people at the Idaho statesman have to use their own cars to deliver papers in which turns into forking money into their cars than what they actually make.
Pros
relaxing alone drives
Cons
no gas coverage, pay for mistakes
Fun company to work for
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 24, 2013
Managed a large group of employees and needed to make sure all their job responsibilities were completed daily. Learned how to work while with different personalities and teaching my team to work hard and take their jobs seriously but have fun at the same time. Always something new happening each and every day.

Hardest part of my job was the early morning hours and making sure everyone showed up daily. Fun group of people to work with. My boss was a great person to work for and made coming to work everyday a lot of fun.
Pros
Great team to work for overall
Cons
Early morning hours
Media job, dying industry
Pre-Press Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 16, 2013
Good parent company, stressful work environment, no growth
A good job while your looking for something else.
Contract Hauler (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 20, 2013
This job is 7 days a week, no days off. Pay is poor. Hours are terrible. Reason to work there, easy to get job. Payed once a week.
Awesome work environment.
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 3, 2012
I fed ads into machines I was assigned to for each shift. My managers were really nice to work for. Co-workers were wonderful. Hardest part of the job was being on my feet. Best part of the job was the job itself. I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
fun work environment.
Cons
n/a
Awesome work environment inside the office.
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 3, 2012
I would answer the phones, do my paperwork. Assist in any way needed. I learned how to work in an office properly. The manager was wonderful, very supportive. My co-workers were very fun to work with but also did their jobs very well. Hardest part of the job was answering the phones since I tend to be a bit on the shy side. Best part of the job was working with my co-workers.
Pros
fun work environment, great benefits.
Cons
n/a