The J. M. Smucker Company Employee Reviews

Really fun place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I LOVED working here. It is not by choice that I am leaving the company. They decided to close our office and move all functions back to their headquarters in Ohio.
Pros
Great Free Products!
Cons
Sad they are closing our office
Awful.
Processing (Former Employee) –  Ripon, WIDecember 23, 2018
Awful management that lies to your face and does not actually solve problems, workers are unhappy across all 3 shifts, no sense of accomplishment, outdated equipment, always behind schedule, company is mismanaged from the top down (another pet food recall and falling stock prices), etc.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Mandatory overtime, very unhappy place to work, lazy workers, poor management, outdated equipment, etc
QA Tech
QA Inspector (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHDecember 12, 2018
It is an awesome company to work for. It can be hot environment at times, but they allow you have cooling devices that help a lot . Great company to work for.
Pros
Free Hearing Tests
Cons
Sometimes lines break down.
Very good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHDecember 6, 2018
While the offices were busy and sometimes stressful, the supervisors were well qualified and good to work for. Upper management seemed to be wise and have in mind the good of the employees as well as the community.
Great Environment
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Meadville, PADecember 4, 2018
Very energetic work environment, goals are clear and support is there when needed. Information is shared and staff are up to date on corporate mission.
Good luck getting a Interview.
Tech (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2018
Most plants are understaffed and they claim they need more employees. Good luck getting a job there though because it's all in who you know. The corporate computer will kick your application out and won't even send it to the plant. Disappointing when you have dedicated people wanting to work there but aren't even considered.
Seriously don't apply if you need a long term job
Fork lift operator (Former Employee) –  Frontenac, KSDecember 2, 2018
They knew when they hired me I would be laid off in 2 months due to Smuckers taking over. They knew I had a family to provide for and still hired me and neglected to say anything, until the day of. No notice or anything. It's been 2 months and my family is still trying to recover. Honestly, Americold is hiring and I make 3 grand a month there. Just go apply there.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Insurance EXPENSIVE, lack of communication
Growing company via acquisitions
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 20, 2018
Stable, growing company consistently seeking to grow via acquisition of Top brands or growth segments. Not necessarily great track record of growing organically.
Pros
Cons
Not necessarily great track record of growing organically.
very fast pace productive environment
Strawberry Processor/Forklift driver (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CANovember 6, 2018
smuckers is a very fast pace place to work. I learned that you have to be very good at driving a forklift so you can keep up with the production at smuckers
Pros
good management and warehouse was very clean
Cons
no set work schedule
Good Company
Packaging Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHNovember 6, 2018
Good place to work with fun and recognizable brands. Very difficult projects and a lot of responsibility. Located in the middle of nowhere, which is not fun if you are young.
Pros
Recognizable, fun brands
Cons
It was a great person to person interview
Hispanic Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHNovember 5, 2018
When I stated to work with the Smucker's company it was about 1K people working for them after 15 years there is more than 50K Nation wide but they keep the Family's business culture and some times they miss the loop and control of the Managerment and loose very important people but after all it's a great company and most of the co-workers loves the company and also what they do
Pros
Benefits, atmosphere, culture and grow
efficient working environment
WAREHOUSE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Ripon, WIOctober 25, 2018
days had been planned out ahead of time and areas are kept clean for maximum proficiency. it was also highly encouraged to form friendships and bonds with fellow employees
not a job ill work at again
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYOctober 17, 2018
its just a boreding job all you do is stand for 12hrs and look at bread all day for 12hr break r to short and lunch some time the have foor there for you.
Pros
food
Cons
12hr
it's ok
Plant Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 16, 2018
There are long working hours at the Smuckers plant in Memphis TN. They have an HSA Health plan that is garbage. You have to pay a High out of pocket expense for the Health Care Plan. They have a High Turn over rate of employment. People are constantly getting fired on a weekly basis.
Made uncrustables sandwiches
Sandwich tech (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYOctober 16, 2018
Good place to work , just was not my kinda of work style . I am used to working out side , not inside. Smucker has great pay and great benefits for scottsville ky. I will miss all my friends that I have met ., since I started there as well as the ones I already had .
Benefits
Cons
Working 12 hr shifts
good to catapult your career; bad to work there
contractor (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHOctober 2, 2018
shallow superficial sweatshop, a young culture, too many meetings, too much bureaucracy, tries to create a family culture, everyone seemed miserable and exhausted, very stressful, lots of pressure, not like a family at all or maybe a dysfunctional one
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
meetings, hours, management, culture
Was great until laid off
Fork lift operator (Former Employee) –  Frontenac kansasSeptember 27, 2018
Nothing like walking in and being told you no longer have a job. Well that's they did to a bunch of us! Been knowledge since July, but didn't notify the workers until the day of lay offs. So much for being family oriented.
Pros
Work day rotation, pay, bosses great
Cons
Healthcare costly, lack of communication
Operations Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 23, 2018
Great pay, great co workers and benifits. Could not of asked for a better internship. I would like to go back if there is ever a chance to. Got me interested in the food industry
Productive and fun place to work
Packing Operator (Former Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 15, 2018
It was a fast bell running all time you need to be careful and fast..check Your putting The Right label. Cleaning your section, chanching defense positions.
Pros
Free juice
Cons
Not a full time
Challenging Environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  Orrville, OHSeptember 3, 2018
Environment/culture changing over the past few years with new challenges arising as the company grows. Leadership is trying to keep culture in tact however it is becoming more and more difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The J. M. Smucker Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight