The Jackson Laboratory Employee Reviews

Great Mission
Research Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MENovember 26, 2018
Many great medical advancements being made at The Jackson Laboratory. There is some flexibility in work schedules depending on the department and manager.
Great place to work; inconvenient location
HR (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MENovember 14, 2018
JAX treats their employees exceptionally well. Too bad it had to be so far away from everything - - travelling to and from the lab is very difficult and on a dangerous road. Great work being done there and really nice people.
Na
Breeding Services Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 17, 2018
I’ve worked here for almost 5 years , and I must say that so far this is the best company that I have worked for. They care about their employees , and there is a lot of job security . This company is continuously growing , and always changing as well as well. So during the time spent here you learn new things constantly . It is really a great place to work for . And in the long term, your future is taken care of
Nice place to work
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MESeptember 13, 2018
Great benefits and friendly staff. Nice culture. The upper management is a bit out of touch with the front line staff. They are a growing company and the retirement benefit is unheard of today.
Pros
Great mission / growing
Cons
Most commutes are long / can't afford to live near Bar Harbor
Good Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MESeptember 8, 2018
Excellent benefits, commute from off island is horrible in summer. The 401K plan is generous as is the tuition reimbursement. Most people are happy to be at Jax.
Hard work but rewarding and ability to advance
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MESeptember 1, 2018
The work is not for everyone. It can be very hard and physically demanding at times. You have to learn fast and be ok working with animals. You are expected to do your work (and sometimes more) depending on the week. Must work well with a team. Can be tedious at times but you can learn a lot. Lifting and being on your feet all day are the hardest parts of the job. Working with the animals is rewarding and you can meet very nice people! Also, classes are offered through the lab so you can choose to advance.
Fast-paced, friendly, collaborative workplace
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEAugust 21, 2018
I spend a summer interning at the Jackson Lab helping implement a computer algorithm. The work was fast paced and I was always busy, but the culture was very collaborative, and I felt like I could always ask the people around me for help and receive friendly, useful advice/assistance. The work itself was very rewarding and I learned great deal. There were both long term goals to work. towards and short term goals which motivated me throughout the day.
Pros
Interesting talks, rewarding work, great coworkers
Na
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEAugust 18, 2018
Not applicable.
I am not sure what to write here. I have not been in the company that long. I just wanted to move, overall its been a good experience.
Relaxed and collaborative, yet competitive at the global level
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEAugust 5, 2018
It was an awesome place to work!

Scientific development
Relazed work environment
Enriching experience
Multi-functional teams
Cross-functional collaborations
Pros
Scientific enrichment in the middle of Acadia National Park!
Cons
Geographocally isolated from other Biotechs
Laboratory Experience with much room for skill growth
In Vivo Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 31, 2018
I currently work at this position, and it has provided me with a wealth of introduction to laboratory animal based skills and their refinement. Although I have been told that I have come into the laboratory at a difficult time for career advancement due to new management, but the laboratory's management is a wonderful opportunity for resume growth, and new skills.
Pros
free gym on site, and healthcare and retirement plans
Great place to work and grow as a entry level or professional employee.
Reproductive Sciences Advanced Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, ME 04609July 17, 2018
A challenging and supportive place to work that excels at encourages and develops employees to their fullest potential.or more years
There are many JAX employees who started right out of High school and grown into successful employees for 10, 20, and even 30 or more years. great benefits, working environment in a beautiful setting in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
Fabulous family-oriented and structured advancement, except RAF.
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEJuly 12, 2018
I really like the benefits and the culture at the lab. However, the management, at least in Research animal care, is more focused on negative reinforcement and punishment approaches to training and employee improvement, as opposed to positive reinforcement. This lowers morale and stimulates an unhealthy competition in the technicians. I cannot relate information for any other department.
Excellent work environment, with an outstanding staff.
IT Programmer Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, ME 04609July 9, 2018
An astounding place to work for in one of the most beautiful areas in the US. The research/campus culture provides IT workers a sense of freedom to try new ideas and experiment. However, the work-life balance sometimes gets lost, especially for remote workers. The lab allows all IT employees to work from home several days a week, but expect to put in more than the requisite 8-hour day for the privilege.
Pros
Gorgeous location. Great staff.
Cons
Limited work-life balance. Maine winters are brutal.
Review
Assistant Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 22, 2018
look on line for the company, I do not wish to review. you can look them up on the NASDAC or other stock exchange I will not review the company. The company looks for cures for specitic cancer and will do anything for its customers.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
stricted
Productive work environment and company events
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 23, 2018
I just didn't like the over crowded work areas that have potential for work injuries and fire hazard. I love the events that the company throws each year.
Pros
Employees recognition every six months
Cons
Fully gown in and out of procedure rooms.
Good community
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEApril 23, 2018
Jackson lab has an excellent community of employees and supports its employees well. Benefits are good. Managers could use more training. Beautiful location.
I would still be there if I hadn't had to move
Customer Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEApril 16, 2018
The Jackson Laboratory is an amazing campus and there is ample opportunity to do whatever you want if you put your mind to it. The managers are fair and the benefits are the best I've ever had.
Productive and interesting place to work!
Mid-level Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEFebruary 14, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time at the Jackson Lab. The pay was good, the work was interesting and rewarding, and I enjoyed the various people I got to work with. Had it not been for a leg injury, I would still be there.
Pros
Employee appreciation, Holiday Parties, bonuses
Cons
Can't think of any.
Fun place to work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEFebruary 6, 2018
Working environment was good. People there are very friendly. Learned a lot about mice there. Pioneer genetic research institute. Great location that is very close to Acadia National park.
Energetic, Growing organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEJanuary 31, 2018
Great place to work-inward focused on Management growth. Do more with less drivers. Great benefits, low advancement pace here. Need better community atmosphere.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Continuity with Senior Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Jackson Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss