The Jackson Laboratory Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Na
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEAugust 18, 2018
Not applicable.
I am not sure what to write here. I have not been in the company that long. I just wanted to move, overall its been a good experience.
Laboratory Experience with much room for skill growth
In Vivo Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 31, 2018
I currently work at this position, and it has provided me with a wealth of introduction to laboratory animal based skills and their refinement. Although I have been told that I have come into the laboratory at a difficult time for career advancement due to new management, but the laboratory's management is a wonderful opportunity for resume growth, and new skills.
Pros
free gym on site, and healthcare and retirement plans
Great place to work and grow as a entry level or professional employee.
Reproductive Sciences Advanced Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, ME 04609July 17, 2018
A challenging and supportive place to work that excels at encourages and develops employees to their fullest potential.or more years
There are many JAX employees who started right out of High school and grown into successful employees for 10, 20, and even 30 or more years. great benefits, working environment in a beautiful setting in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
Fabulous family-oriented and structured advancement, except RAF.
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEJuly 12, 2018
I really like the benefits and the culture at the lab. However, the management, at least in Research animal care, is more focused on negative reinforcement and punishment approaches to training and employee improvement, as opposed to positive reinforcement. This lowers morale and stimulates an unhealthy competition in the technicians. I cannot relate information for any other department.
Excellent work environment, with an outstanding staff.
IT Programmer Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, ME 04609July 9, 2018
An astounding place to work for in one of the most beautiful areas in the US. The research/campus culture provides IT workers a sense of freedom to try new ideas and experiment. However, the work-life balance sometimes gets lost, especially for remote workers. The lab allows all IT employees to work from home several days a week, but expect to put in more than the requisite 8-hour day for the privilege.
Pros
Gorgeous location. Great staff.
Cons
Limited work-life balance. Maine winters are brutal.
Review
Assistant Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 22, 2018
look on line for the company, I do not wish to review. you can look them up on the NASDAC or other stock exchange I will not review the company. The company looks for cures for specitic cancer and will do anything for its customers.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
stricted
Productive work environment and company events
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 23, 2018
I just didn't like the over crowded work areas that have potential for work injuries and fire hazard. I love the events that the company throws each year.
Pros
Employees recognition every six months
Cons
Fully gown in and out of procedure rooms.
Good community
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEApril 23, 2018
Jackson lab has an excellent community of employees and supports its employees well. Benefits are good. Managers could use more training. Beautiful location.
I would still be there if I hadn't had to move
Customer Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEApril 16, 2018
The Jackson Laboratory is an amazing campus and there is ample opportunity to do whatever you want if you put your mind to it. The managers are fair and the benefits are the best I've ever had.
Productive and interesting place to work!
Mid-level Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEFebruary 14, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time at the Jackson Lab. The pay was good, the work was interesting and rewarding, and I enjoyed the various people I got to work with. Had it not been for a leg injury, I would still be there.
Pros
Employee appreciation, Holiday Parties, bonuses
Cons
Can't think of any.
Fun place to work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEFebruary 6, 2018
Working environment was good. People there are very friendly. Learned a lot about mice there. Pioneer genetic research institute. Great location that is very close to Acadia National park.
Energetic, Growing organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEJanuary 31, 2018
Great place to work-inward focused on Management growth. Do more with less drivers. Great benefits, low advancement pace here. Need better community atmosphere.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Continuity with Senior Management
Productive and have great benefits, I just have to relocate that’s why I quit.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Working in this company was a learning and fun experience. They taught me how to deal with research mice. Being a worker with mice for the first time wasn’t easy, but I was able to learned it the fastest way I can.
Pros
Very good benefits et al 403K
Cons
Having a short break, because we need to peel out and peel in.
Learn many technical skills in a short period of time!
In Vivo Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 13, 2017
Jackson Laboratory teaches its technologists many techniques in a 3 month period to prepare you well to work on study projects with confidence and ease. I entered Jackson not having held a mouse, and after working there for a few months, I was able to gain confidence in my abilities to not only perform study activities, but also lead some projects. The only downside is that the hours are long and the hardest part of the job would be staying positive while working not so ideal shifts. The work culture is great though, and the other technicians do not think twice about staying longer to help others out.
Pros
Benefits, work culture, tech week, opportunity to take classes to further education, they pay you to get ALAAS certified, etc.
Cons
long hours, have to work weekends, not enough people know how to do all the tasks
Life at JAX
SCIENTIFIC APPLICATIONS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEOctober 29, 2017
The Jackson Lab was an amazing place to work. Due to their goals you felt like you were personally involved in helping others with their health and life. The research provided help to people suffering from health issues.
Pros
Work environment, company goals, feeling of accomplishment
Cons
Workload
Help Desk Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEOctober 3, 2017
I love supporting all the users there. Workday was busy but fun. Hardest part of the was suiting up to go into the mouse room since I didn't do it all the time. It was interesting once you got in the room through.

Great location in Bar Harbor. Can't beat it!.
Pros
Work hours, Users, Support team
Cons
Getting lost in some of the older bldgs.
Very collaborative environment.
SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTOctober 2, 2017
Very mission focused organization with strong scientific focus. Strong management team on the scientific side and great collaboration between different parts of the organization.
Pros
Mission and Collaboration
Cons
Nonprofit pay scale
Detaled Oriented Work
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MESeptember 5, 2017
Working here at the lab, you learn a lot. You have many opportunities to work and grow in this field. Whether you're in animal care or a research assistant. You get great benefits, and get paid well.
Pros
paid well, great benefits, meet great people
Cons
very stressful at times, hard flooring leaving you sore afterwards
Initially great, now not so much
Research Assistant/Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Bar Harbor, MEAugust 31, 2017
Mouse research was initially very mentally stimulating and exciting. For the first ten years I loved my job, worked lots of voluntary overtime and looked forward to working there well into retirement. However, in recent years we've gradually become over-regulated and 'dumbed-down'. Innovation and creativity are now largely discouraged and the work environment has become physically very uncomfortable, due to a number of newer legal requirements and managerial decisions. It's stable work for good wages, if that's all you're looking for, and depending on how you approach your job, you might even consider it fun to work there. But if you have higher aspirations, you'll likely become increasingly disillusioned over time.
Pros
beautiful environment, good wages for this area, competitive in the industry
Cons
over-regulated and over-managed
The Company does not have yor best interest
Animal Care Technician II/Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 2, 2017
Working there at the Company is all about what they can get out of you period.To much drama and if your not liked they set you up to fail not worth it
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Don't bother working with this company it will only stress you out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Jackson Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss