The Kessler Collection Employee Reviews

Great Company
Banquet Chef (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 31, 2018
Kessler is a great company to work for. Decent pay, benefits, and they keep employee morale high. The only downfall to this job, for me, was the fact that you cannot advance as quickly as you'd like. There was an employee who waited 5 years just to get bumped up to supervisor, and waited another 3 years before they were bumped up to Chef De Cuisine. Kessler does value longevity and loyalty so I see their approach, but I personally couldn't stay there for 8 years to MAYBE get a position I was already qualified for. Although, If I was hired as a manager for this company, I would most likely retire from there.
Pros
benefits, treats employees like family
Cons
advancement is a slow process
This place is a joke
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Beaver Creek, COAugust 16, 2018
Don't work here. Management is lazy and it's an ego show among the top 3. They don't promote within. There's no job growth. HR is the worst I've ever seen. Nothing you say to HR is private and behaves very unprofessional. You'll go weeks without clocking out for a break because they are always short staffed and then they demand you take a break only when it's convenient for them a lot of times within the first hr of your shift. .Front desk management is completely incompetent and front desk agents are having to train them. Management will overwork you without even saying thanks and expect you to do the Front desk, engineering, valet, concierge, and housekeeping all at once. They also made many employees valet vehicles when they weren't on insurance. No communication about schedule changes from management. The culture is very cheesy and demeaning calling everyone grand performers like they are puppets.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
management, uniforms
Good company with advancement opportunites
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALDecember 16, 2018
The overall company is growing, which provides opportunities for advancement. From a property level, the company provided structure with opportunities for improvement. In my specific role, the amount of work was fair, but was hard to catch up if a multiple days of work were missed. The property had friendly staff.
Pros
Staff, Advancement
Benefits
Beautiful Hotel with Potential
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
While this hotel is still fairly new, it has not come without its growing pains. In hospitality and F&B starting new in a very competitive market like Charleston can be tough! There has been turnover as to be expected, but the this hotel is making forward strides in hiring the right leadership! While sometimes your work life balance isn't what it came be, as an employee I still get long and have fun working with my fellow co-workers! There are areas that need to be worked on such as training opportunities, communication, and some management positions that need to be filled, but I think that goes with any company you work for, especially one that is only 2 years old.

This hotel is so different and unique from anything here in Charleston. The Rooftop and Restaurant upstairs is such a beautiful environment to be working in and has so much so much potential!
Pros
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pto, Marriott Discounts, F&B and Gallery Discounts, Employee Meal Menu
BCL only interested in profitability
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beaver Creek, ColoradoJune 22, 2018
I don't know a single person that liked working there. The hotel can't/won't fully staff departments and whatever you do, DO NOT accept a salaried position there because they will expect you to cover all of the extra hours needed to compensate for short staffing.
Basically this is a three star property that wants to be considered as a five star and the plan to get their is on the backs of the staff that they expect to work an ungodly amount of hours on salary. I refused and called out the lazy leadership so am no longer there.
My advice: Use them as a stepping stone because that is what they plan to do to you! They talk a good talk but may as well be disabled because they won't ever walk it. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES.
Pros
Some friendly staff to work with
Cons
Lack of care about staff, weak benefit and pay packages, lazy upper management, always always always under staffed and they could care less about it.
Wonderful Place To Work!
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
I have been working with the Grand Bohemian for less than three months and I truly believe it's a wonderful place to work. The management is excellent and I feel that the management has helped me better myself in my position as an employee of Kessler Collection. The employees here also have made me feel at home and we work together as a team to better the experience of the guests. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a fun and challenging place to work. Even though we all work hard in our departments, it's still a great place to work for.
Pros
Benefits, Work environment and Culture, Great Managment
If there were better security workers the place would be more safe
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALOctober 6, 2018
Dislike : Gerneral management seems to need more training, The main bosses aren’t very professional an the director over Housekeeping seems to not know what he’s doing the Job Coaches don’t train the correct way HR seems to be so busy to even listen to your story about work the entire place was a very mistake for me I learn a lot from when the original workers use to be there now it’s just a sad place an I don’t wanna ever work at a hotel I been there for two years 10 months an I never felt so unhappy until the new HR an new rude workers well GPS start working there
Beaver Creek Lodge
Front Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Avon, COApril 25, 2018
Management poor
Winters are most productive and busy.
Summer months are slow.
Company not much in work/life balance and they are always shorthanded with employees. Company feels they can be a 5 star resort with minimal employees doing jobs. They like you to wear many hats and do not support any advancement in company.
Pros
holiday pay
Cons
poor management
Beautiful Property/ Poor Management
Valet Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALApril 6, 2018
Awful place to work. During my time at the hotel, as the Valet Supervisor (in reality Valet department head, controlling all valet related activity) I was repeatedly taken advantage of. I was forced to work 6-7 days/week at 50 plus hours a week due to staffing issues, which I repeatedly brought up to HR. The management of the hotel was completely awful, with the exception of the initial Front Office Manager, who left the company to pursue other opportunities. The benefits package was okay, but I had $280+ taken out of each check for health, dental and vision. It is a beautiful property but the management of the hotel treats employees very poorly, which is evident in their turnover rate, which is the highest in the Marriott Kessler Collection. Feel free to contact me if you wish to know any other specifics.
Fun group of employees
BARTENDER (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 31, 2018
The workplace culture was very high, management made it harder on the employees with a poor management cultutre. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people we worked with.
Not worth working for this company. 0/0
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 28, 2018
Please save yourself from working here. They claim that they are "growing" which may be true but in all actuality they are always hiring because people keep quitting. Totally not worth the stress you have to go through.The management isn't the best and the amount you get paid vs. what you do is unacceptable. Did i forget the employees are rude and team work is non-existent.
ONLY WORK HERE IF YOUR ABOUT TO BE HOMELESS!!!
Cons
Do not work here. Save yourself.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 3, 2018
HUGE Lack of management
HR Director extremely unprofessional, not equipped for job, terrible with people, and immature.
No accountability
No structure
Training is a not a priority
No employee appreciation
Stressful work life
No paid holidays, forced PTO days.
Cons
Parking
great place to work
Chef de Cuisine (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 2, 2018
great place to work, good people, great art work culture is diverse great learning environment spent the last 7 years working with the company looking forward to the next 7 years.
energetic and productive place to work
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 27, 2018
I start my day out by checking on all the equipment in the building and make sure it is working properly. I have learned how to do electrical work and read blue prints properly. Management in this place seems to care about there workers and they also love to help out when they can. The culture around the workplace is something I can sum up in one word teamwork. The hardest part of my job is trying not to be a crutch because this place is all about teamwork.The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to learn new things everyday.
Pros
good money and paid time off
Cons
there is no parking
A very good place to work in hospitality.
Janitorial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 12, 2018
It is a tough place to work because it is a high-end location.
Our clients don't make it any easier but it is understandable to a degree. If you are willing to follow the SOP and work hard you can do great things with this company.
benefits
Cons
work load and department budgets at my location at least.
Amazing hospitality experience in Mountain Brook
Director of Rooms (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 26, 2018
One of my favorite positions thus far in my career. Amazing leadership and wonderful opportunities for advancement in a growing, boutique hotel collection. The General Manager is extremely supportive and thrives on creating a stellar guest experience. Property is by far the most beautiful in the Birmingham area.
Pros
PTO was great. Executive leadership always willing to assist in times of need.
Cons
N/a
Disorganized. Fake. Employees last
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 14, 2018
They are like most employers saying they value their employees but show little to no effort when working with the team. Management loves to hand down the workload so the part time staff can do two or more jobs at once. Workload increases because employees are smart to leave and instead of hiring more people, they double the work for team members. They will say whatever they need to guests or staff in order to silence the problem only for it to become a worse problem later. Instead of solving issues, it's about dodging the blame.
Pros
Luxury work environment, Marriot discounts
Cons
Ignorance, lack of empathy, elitist
I loved it
Night Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALOctober 16, 2018
One of my favorite past jobs! i loved it there! The staff was great, we all got along, and the managers understood that keeping your employees happy makes them want to work harder!
quick paced and with great co-workers.
Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 18, 2018
Like most hotels you have to work weekends and holidays but with that in mind this is a great place to work or start a career. While pay is above min wage it tops out at 15 an hour for entry level positions with high salaries for management. Management gets their weekends off and most holidays. There is little upward mobility.
Pros
cheap travel, good on resume.
Cons
work weekends and holidays with low pay.
Talented Culinary Team
Culinary (Current Employee) –  Grand bohemian OrlandoAugust 22, 2018
Very diverse kitchen Team with great leadership, everyone has a word to say and you can learn something new everyday either from the Chefs or from the other cooks.
Pros
Recognition, career development, respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Kessler Collection. Our community is ready to answer.