The Kessler Collection Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Company!
Anonymous Poster (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 29, 2018
Everything from the mission, core values and standards made me love my job, and I also loved my co-workers! The Marriott discount was great. I also enjoyed the Job Coach program and the training opportunities.
Do not work here. Save yourself.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 3, 2018
HUGE Lack of management
HR Director extremely unprofessional, not equipped for job, terrible with people, and immature.
No accountability
No structure
Training is a not a priority
No employee appreciation
Stressful work life
No paid holidays, forced PTO days.
Cons
Parking
BCL only interested in profitability
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beaver Creek, ColoradoJune 22, 2018
I don't know a single person that liked working there. The hotel can't/won't fully staff departments and whatever you do, DO NOT accept a salaried position there because they will expect you to cover all of the extra hours needed to compensate for short staffing.
Basically this is a three star property that wants to be considered as a five star and the plan to get their is on the backs of the staff that they expect to work an ungodly amount of hours on salary. I refused and called out the lazy leadership so am no longer there.
My advice: Use them as a stepping stone because that is what they plan to do to you! They talk a good talk but may as well be disabled because they won't ever walk it. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES.
Pros
Some friendly staff to work with
Cons
Lack of care about staff, weak benefit and pay packages, lazy upper management, always always always under staffed and they could care less about it.
Typical CYA property. Lots of buck passing
Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 25, 2018
Great property, great staff... plenty of micro management and blame games. No real problem solvers, just passing the buck and dismissing. The corporate off is is just down the street so the company executives come ofter and stirs the pot with management.
Pros
Pay, environmeny
Cons
Leadership, executive and corporate teams
Disorganized. Fake. Employees last
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 14, 2018
They are like most employers saying they value their employees but show little to no effort when working with the team. Management loves to hand down the workload so the part time staff can do two or more jobs at once. Workload increases because employees are smart to leave and instead of hiring more people, they double the work for team members. They will say whatever they need to guests or staff in order to silence the problem only for it to become a worse problem later. Instead of solving issues, it's about dodging the blame.
Pros
Luxury work environment, Marriot discounts
Cons
Ignorance, lack of empathy, elitist
A very good place to work in hospitality.
Janitorial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 12, 2018
It is a tough place to work because it is a high-end location.
Our clients don't make it any easier but it is understandable to a degree. If you are willing to follow the SOP and work hard you can do great things with this company.
benefits
Cons
work load and department budgets at my location at least.
Great team, but ultimately a job that overwork and underpays.
Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 11, 2018
The housekeeping team I worked with was exemplary, but the work itself is often quick-paced and high stress. This results in chronic under-staffing, which only leads to more stress. Working 6 days a week is common.
Pros
Great team. Lovely property.
Cons
High Stress. Chronically Understaffed.
Beaver Creek Lodge
Front Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Avon, COApril 25, 2018
Management poor
Winters are most productive and busy.
Summer months are slow.
Company not much in work/life balance and they are always shorthanded with employees. Company feels they can be a 5 star resort with minimal employees doing jobs. They like you to wear many hats and do not support any advancement in company.
Pros
holiday pay
Cons
poor management
Beautiful Property/ Poor Management
Valet Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALApril 6, 2018
Awful place to work. During my time at the hotel, as the Valet Supervisor (in reality Valet department head, controlling all valet related activity) I was repeatedly taken advantage of. I was forced to work 6-7 days/week at 50 plus hours a week due to staffing issues, which I repeatedly brought up to HR. The management of the hotel was completely awful, with the exception of the initial Front Office Manager, who left the company to pursue other opportunities. The benefits package was okay, but I had $280+ taken out of each check for health, dental and vision. It is a beautiful property but the management of the hotel treats employees very poorly, which is evident in their turnover rate, which is the highest in the Marriott Kessler Collection. Feel free to contact me if you wish to know any other specifics.
Cons
energetic and productive place to work
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 27, 2018
I start my day out by checking on all the equipment in the building and make sure it is working properly. I have learned how to do electrical work and read blue prints properly. Management in this place seems to care about there workers and they also love to help out when they can. The culture around the workplace is something I can sum up in one word teamwork. The hardest part of my job is trying not to be a crutch because this place is all about teamwork.The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to learn new things everyday.
Pros
good money and paid time off
Cons
there is no parking
Amazing hospitality experience in Mountain Brook
Director of Rooms (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 26, 2018
One of my favorite positions thus far in my career. Amazing leadership and wonderful opportunities for advancement in a growing, boutique hotel collection. The General Manager is extremely supportive and thrives on creating a stellar guest experience. Property is by far the most beautiful in the Birmingham area.
Pros
PTO was great. Executive leadership always willing to assist in times of need.
Cons
N/a
Wonderful Place To Work!
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
I have been working with the Grand Bohemian for less than three months and I truly believe it's a wonderful place to work. The management is excellent and I feel that the management has helped me better myself in my position as an employee of Kessler Collection. The employees here also have made me feel at home and we work together as a team to better the experience of the guests. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a fun and challenging place to work. Even though we all work hard in our departments, it's still a great place to work for.
Pros
Benefits, Work environment and Culture, Great Managment
Beautiful Hotel with Potential
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
While this hotel is still fairly new, it has not come without its growing pains. In hospitality and F&B starting new in a very competitive market like Charleston can be tough! There has been turnover as to be expected, but the this hotel is making forward strides in hiring the right leadership! While sometimes your work life balance isn't what it came be, as an employee I still get long and have fun working with my fellow co-workers! There are areas that need to be worked on such as training opportunities, communication, and some management positions that need to be filled, but I think that goes with any company you work for, especially one that is only 2 years old.

This hotel is so different and unique from anything here in Charleston. The Rooftop and Restaurant upstairs is such a beautiful environment to be working in and has so much so much potential!
Pros
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pto, Marriott Discounts, F&B and Gallery Discounts, Employee Meal Menu
decent for part time job
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 14, 2018
Was a great entry level position that worked well with full time students and their school schedules. it was well located and always had a fair amount of foot traffic from tourists and locals alike.
Worst Location to work
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALMarch 13, 2018
The HR Director and GM are very unprofessional. The Turn over is High. Save Your time with this Property Until they get a New HR and GM. They don't care about the employees. There Hardly even at work.
Cons
Inspiring and caring career choice!
Guest Experiences Event Curator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 9, 2018
If you're a Bohemian at heart and love to be surrounded by great food, inspiring art and a caring culture, the Kessler Collection is the place to be!!
quick paced and with great co-workers.
Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 18, 2018
Like most hotels you have to work weekends and holidays but with that in mind this is a great place to work or start a career. While pay is above min wage it tops out at 15 an hour for entry level positions with high salaries for management. Management gets their weekends off and most holidays. There is little upward mobility.
Pros
cheap travel, good on resume.
Cons
work weekends and holidays with low pay.
It is a very unique property for the area.
Front Office Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 6, 2018
I really enjoyed working at the GB. Very unique and stylish property. The owner decorated it with lots of art and musically themed artwork. My GM trusted me implicitly which made me want to come in to work.
Pros
Really cool place to work.
Cons
The bar is too close to the front desk. Too loud.
Fast paced with a short amount of time
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 18, 2018
As a member of Beaver Creek Lodge, even though it paid a decent amount, you were worked harder than the management did. One person had to take care of a large amount of the lodge without any help in a certain amount of time which stressed everybody.
Cons
Stressful and a long drive up the canyon
Work here only as a last resort
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 12, 2018
Terrible place to work for. Nobody cares. Only work here if you have no other option.Hotel is severely understaffed you will have to pick up the shifts that management is unable to cover since hiring process is taking too long. Hr only cares about himself.
Pros
Nice art
Cons
Not even a free meal when you work 13 hour shifts 6 days a week