The Knowland Group Employee Reviews

Productive! Great Culture!
Not quite a mgr (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAApril 7, 2018
I have been with Knowland for a few years. We were stagnant prior to the new CEO and CFO coming on board. We are growing tremendously as of the last two years. I see great growth potential for those who are working hard AND as a team. You must be willing to learn and if you do, you will do well with Knowland. There are lots of really great people on board!
Pros
Learning environment. Great teamwork. Upper mgmt appreciates all efforts. Very collaborative.
Cons
Can be tough sales cycle if not willing to learn!
This was cold calling various companies who had events to get
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDFebruary 13, 2018
information on their events director so the client we were working for could contact them to see if they would like to use their facilities. The thing I didn't like is we had to meet a quota daily. Its hard to do when no one wont speak to you.
Pros
the hours
Cons
meeting quotas and no benefits
Perfect Part Time Job
Field Researcher in Hospitality Industry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 21, 2017
Visit and document events at 32 hotels 5 days a week. Includes photos and uploading. Lots of driving. They are in 300 cities worldwide. With me being the only Pittsburgh Researcher
Pros
Work on own time at own pace
Cons
Work Saturdays
Privileged
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDOctober 19, 2016
This company does nothing but give false hope and uses its employees and hangs them out to dry! Horrible pay but false promises of making a lot of money. I worked here for many years. Dedicating my time and hard work to a bunch of snobby privileged people They promise you if you work hard you will rise to the top, bull. Unless your willing to sell your soul to the devil or like a few people and sleep your way to the top. I have seen a couple of women who lack morals and values, no education and plain low class work their way to the top. If you wear short dresses, high heels and flirt you will make it far. They claim they are college educated but never attended college. Not a bit of credentials. Late nights with the bosses are their credentials. These people get paid big bucks but never even come into the office. Lazy managers while us hard working employees bust our tails
Then they walk around treating everyone like garbage because they decide to show up one day a week if your lucky. These are not CEO's but managers that are supposed to be in the office but sit at home on their tails doing nothing but personally serving their bosses.
Pros
Casual attire
Cons
Con artists
Productive, Provided wonderful bonuses and Competitive
Telephone Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, DESeptember 1, 2016
Cold calling to find who planned events within each company. I learned how to manage several different tasks in order to meet quota. I was asked to advance to a training position for new hires joining out team. I enjoyed my co-workers and management was wonderful. The hardest part of the job was finding one particular person within a company who employs thousands from all over.
Pros
Great Pay, Work environment and CEO wanted input from his employees
Cons
The leads provided for cold calling were not always correct
Fun office environment, constantly changing but they believe in embracing the change
Professional Business Development Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 13, 2016
I was a manager working for off-site hotels through phone prospecting. The company had a general direction they were heading but seemed like my division was one large experiment. The CEO was full of himself and I don't think said hello to me once even though he was constantly around the office.

The most enjoyable part was the coworkers and team building atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was hitting quotas and staying on the phone for the entire day.
Pros
team camaraderie, decent pay, nice people working there
Cons
constantly changing management and general company direction, unrealistic quotas
A place to work
Research Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDOctober 17, 2014
A lot of changes in policies. Not everyone had to play by the same rules.
Pros
A decent wage
Cons
Unprofessional work environment
Pretty dead end jon with diminishing pay
Field Researcher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 18, 2014
I was hired as an "independant contractor", but they muddied the waters between independant contracting and employment. They wanted me to dress and look a certain way, the pay I received slowly diminished by about 50% over the course of a year (while still working the same hours to gather the information they wanted), and advocated practices when dealing with supposed "clients" of theirs that led to several run ins and even detainment by their "clients" security and threats of police being called. Only company i've ever worked for that straught up told me to not speak to other people with the same job as me, essentially "avoid any and all contact with coworkers". Some of their practices are kind of shady and I really do not miss working with them. Started making decent money that eventually dwindled to about the same wages as you'd make working minimum wage part-time. Easily the most boring job ive ever had. You learn virtually nothing and gain little to no practical skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
no advancement, shorted payments, shady fielf practices, repititious tedious work
I love my job however, i need more money.
Client Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDFebruary 18, 2014
I have been with the Knowland Group for over three years now. I have grown in many area's of the company and been promoted from with in. I do enjoy my job however, financially I can not continue to work here with the money that i am making. I need to grow more financially so that i can continue to raise my children as a single parent.
Pros
I get to work with all types of new people
Cons
We never get praise for good, only negative feedback is given.
Productive and fun work place
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2013
Everyone arrives at work early and leaves late. In the sales environment it's very competitive and it's all about effort. I have learned a lot about working hard, not giving up, and effective communication with clients at the Knowland Group. My coworkers are all hard workers and my boss is the perfect combination of lenient while maintaining the bottom line. The worst part of the job is cold calling newer clients.
Be aware...lot's of great promises that never come to fruition.
Professional Business Development Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDSeptember 18, 2013
I was promised so much as a PBD and in the time I was there never saw any of it. This is truly a revolving door company and does not care about there employees at all. I would not recomend this company at all.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and weekends off
Cons
very poor management, empty promises, ever changing expectations. Honestly to many to list.
Great place to learn about the hospitality but not a place you will want to stay for long
Professional Business Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 14, 2013
Pros – Company products are innovative, attractive and very successful.
Company has great ideals (core values) and strives for excellence. Family-like atmosphere.
Some extra benefits like tuition reimbursement, child care, gym reimbursement, flexibility with schedule.
Opportunity to learn a lot about the hospitality industry and group sales in particular.
Some opportunity for advancement that is actually merit-based.
Some positions were very autonomous and allowed flexibility to try your own approach.
If young and inexperienced, or do not have a degree, company gave many people a chance to succeed.

Cons – There are probably too many downsides about working at this company to list but I will attempt to:
Most of the problems likely come directly from the CEO and trickle down via managers to individuals.

-The company is always changing, it is nearly constant. Often changes happen quickly and dramatically and do not seem entirely thought through.

-Salisbury office salaries were very low. (perhaps they were o-k for the area) However, if you were not salaried (most were not) you did not get ANY paid holidays or vacation days.

-Communication from management was very poor and turnover was very high. Sometimes through firings but often through resignations. As a result morale was extremely low.

-Company had great ideals through core values, and an employee development program, and social events, however, these occurred rarely and were often poorly executed. ex. (Website says that they love to develop employees and promote from within. However, it seemed that the company was more
  more... interested in firing and getting fresh hires. Or staffing from the outside for for many positions.)

-Company was small and should have had a very strong collaborative team environment with high morale, especially considering that the job was very demanding and the pay was very low. However, this was not the case. Management did not foster such an environment. (In fairness, there were some events that boosted morale earlier in my term, but later these events/incentives dropped to near zero)

-Lack of loyalty to many very loyal employees.
Pros
family atmosphere, good co-workers, flexible scheduling (sometimes)
Cons
see review above.
craziest place I have ever worked in my life
Professional Business Developer (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDNovember 10, 2012
I have never in my life worked for a company like this. They need to put a revovling door on the front of the building with the turnover that they have. The owner will look you dead in the face and never speak to you. You could be doing well one day and the next be gone. One of their Core Values is they believe in and embrace change and that goes for their staff also. Everyone that was hired with me has quit or we were fired before we reached our 1 year anniversary. Also no paid holidays or sick time. Only 2 days off after 12 months of being there and still no paid holidays.
Pros
most of your co workers are friendly.
Cons
it "looks" "good on the outside, until you get in there and realize the place is awful.
Fast paced design for Hospitality Industry
Product Manager (Software) UI, UX designer (Former Employee) –  Lewes, DEOctober 23, 2012
Typical Day at work: Get up early to speak with offshore developers, test new updates from developers, work with new product development design team on new products and tasks for the day,design/update product/graphic design mockups in Photoshop, assist staff with training on new procedures, prepare instructions/files to send to offshore developers

Learned: UX/UI for web and mobile SAAS, agile product development, work with offshore developers, hospitality industry, branding and marketing graphic design

Management: Knowledgeable and driven

Co-workers: very hard working, easy to work with

Hardest part of job: managing large amount of work with little amount of time

Most enjoyable part of job: creating new products with design team
not an enjoyable job
Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDOctober 17, 2012
normal day 8-4, did not enjoy the job. Calling people doing follow ups and getting threatened. The hardest job is achieving the daily monthly points and the most enjoyable part of the day is leaving.
Pros
like day shift
Cons
no holiday pay, stressful, unaffordable benefits
Growing company but not very secure.
Telephone Researcher (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJune 11, 2012
I love my job. From day to day I log on to my computer and search the internet for event planners for companys given to me and then contact the planner for follow ups of events they have planned at hotels.I am currently learning how the hotel industry works from the inside out. The company is very small but the atmosphere with my co-workers is like we're one big family. The hardest part about my job is that, it's not stable. You don't know if you will have a job the next day. I enjoy my job because I can work at my own pace, even though we do have a quota to make every month.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not secure