The Lawton Constitution

The Lawton Constitution Employee Reviews

United States18 reviews
Great place to learn about big city media in a diverse community with a large military population due to an Army base (Fort Sill) and mix of people with ethnic backgrounds.
I work well with others and I am a people person so selling the paper was a breeze. Also made collection call on my neighborhood and asked for any referral for further growth
Working with the Lawton constitution I learned how to get better with my people skills and communicate was other people of all ages. This job also helped build my confidence up.
It is a nice place to work as an extra source of income, as an independent contract carrier. The environment is relaxed and you have minimal supervision. The worst part of the job would be bad weather.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I learned alot about the buisness, I wish I could have explored more of it. But I was very pleased with my position there. Salary and raising two children was the only reason I did not stay on board. Great Team and managers.
Pros
great team
Cons
salary
An average night at work I would go to the Lawton Constitution to get all of our papers and address listings for the residents. I would put them in order and roll them up while my partner drives.
Pros
I had a good income for my age
Cons
not a good sleep scheduled with school
The Lawton Constitution was a great place to work until it was sold to a corporation. The new ownership and the new direction of the paper is, in my opinion, not nearly as customer friendly as was the previous ownership. The overwhelming consensus, as relayed to me by customers, is that they are very unhappy with the changes and new direction in the newspaper since it was purchased.
Pros
The customers and employees
Cons
New ownership
poor management
no advancement

poor hours

They were not willing to work with me when needed off

hours are hectic and only offer split shifts, pay was poor
Pros
Cons
all
Would not recommend working for them as a carrier. They try and cheat you out of money and their circulation manager does not have very good people skills.
Pros
I edited wire stores and stories in the sections I layed out. I learned to work with people with different outlooks than I had. I help manage the news material that ended up in the paper. Most of the people were friendly and talked freely. The hardest part of the job was working late at night, but got used to the evening. I enjoyed communicating with the staff and the other editors. I enjoyed being informed about the happings inthe community and around the world. I enjoyed communicating with the different people who worked and visited the paper.
Pros
The environment, Job advancement
Cons
The profession is slowly dieing
Lack of motivation. lack of respect. lack of support. they are lazy and rude. I would never tell a friend to work there ever... they would hate it so much
This is a good place to get your feet wet in the journalism industry. The staff is knowledgeable and extremely talented and the work environment is a lot of fun.
The job was split shift. Typically 2 or 3 shifts a day, but each only lasting maybe an hour or 2 each. Management was okay at times, but was rather lax and many co-workers became utterly lazy as a result. I did enjoy how easy the job was sometimes, but it was still frustrating to see some co-workers get away with doing next to nothing all day long, and management not really doing anything about it but complain about how bad the crew is instead of actually doing something about it. "Ohh, well that's my crew", became a common phrase by those in charge. Considering I did multiple peoples jobs in addition to my own (by their standards) I'd say my job there was pretty secure, but less than 20 hours a week at only $8 an hour was unlivable, and because the job was split shift and shifts being so far apart from one another, it was impossible to find a second job that didn't conflict.
Pros
Easy work (if you're willing to do your job)
Cons
Low pay & low hours thus not a job you can live off of.
Typically i would have an exciting day at work. I learned to talk and sell products to a variety of people as a door to door sales man. Management was proficient, and provided all the necessary tools for the job. Hardest part of the job was a slow day. Meeting new people, and developing a skill in marketing was the most enjoyable part of work.
Pros
incentives
Cons
slow days
Working as a contract-based newspaper courier, my route started around midnight and ended around 2 to 3 in the morning depending on the weather.
I delivered papers to residential and commercial customers on the east side of the city. I learned how to manage accounts and follow a route. It's monotonous but it's very easy work. Great for a side job while you're in school or if you need extra cash. Management is alright. Best part about the job is working by yourself, great if you're an introvert. Worst part is having to pay out-of-pocket for your own materials.
Pros
Paycheck, easy work
Cons
Paying for your own materials
It was good a first job I have had but it was dangerous. I would not send anyone there. They do not care about the employees safety. All the employees are teenagers walking around the streets by themselves going door to door asking people questions and getting them to by newspaper deliveries. The only think you had to look forward was your pay check but the job did work around school time.
Learned how to make my first sale at this job, and I would not ask for any other first experience into the retail industry.
It was a great job to have during summer vactions.great communication between employers. If you are a great sales person, this job would be great.
Pros
visit different towns
Cons
short breaks, weather