The Legal Aid Society Employee Reviews

So much to do
Rikers Island Paralegal II (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 21, 2018
No matter what it is you want to do in an interdisciplinary flied the legal aid society has it, from criminal matters to civil and even juvenile rights practice. I'm the helping type of person and love that no matter what my outlook on life is this is the type of environment that will help you grow as an individual and a professional
Poor management.
FINANCE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
They Promote incompetent people that lack communication skills and poor management. People pretty much stay for the benefits. Low pay for the work amount of work you perform.
Benefits
Cons
Salary, High Turnover
Great work
SUPPORTING STAFF (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 26, 2018
The payment was good. The works were very rewarding and meaningful. Rewarding work, great co-workers, long leash to work independently
Pros

Flexible for families, benefits are decent
Pros
N\a
Cons
n/a
Diversity of staff
SSI Advocate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2018
Very passionate work in service of primarily poor, uneducated, disadvantaged people. Several departments ranging from civil rights to healthcare. There is an expectation that employees continue to grow and develop with an emphasis on higher education. Employees must be flexible and willing to go into the field when the need arises.
Pros
Open minded management
Cons
Salary doesn’t commensurate with level of work
Great benefits and vesting towards the pension after 5 years
Paralegal/Case Manager (NYS Notary) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Legal Aid has excellent benefits and an excellent work/life balance. No micro managers and you get a lot of autonomy. I have worked in corporate America for years and the difference is incomparable. The only thing I don't like is the commute and the location but outside of that everything is awesome.
Borough Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Great place to work. Staff are engaged and passionate regarding the organization's mission. Client services is at the root of process improvement. All are dedicated to successful outcomes.
Best internship
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 10, 2018
Excellent internship, everyone works as a team and always willing to help others. I was an intern who shadow the social workers in Queens, and was able to experience the wonderful environment.
Great experience
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ponce, PRJune 20, 2018
It was great working there, I learn a lot about the justice system, how to work with clients, prepare for trials, review documents, write pleadings, discovery, motions, briefs, legal memorandums and other documents.
Layed back office environment
Temp (Paralegal I-Civil) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 25, 2018
On a daily I would check the basket to see if any work requests were there to be done. I learned how to open and close cases using the Law Manager system. I filed away the cases once they were closed. Interpretations were sometimes done on a daily basis or I would get emailed about them every other day. The interpretations took place in either the attorneys office or in the meeting rooms. Sometimes the interpretations were done over the phone. There wasn't really anything I found challenging. Anything I was not too sure of I would ask questions. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
high paced
Paralegal I (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2018
Typical work day consist of working in the courtroom filing and customer service.
I've learned a lot about criminal law working closely with attorneys and judges.
Management was fair due to the high paced job it was.
The hardest part was trying ot keep up in the courtroom when there was over a hundred cases done in a day. .
Pros
overtime
Great Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
I had a great time working there. I worked underneath a defense attorney in the criminal appeals bureau and every day I learned something new. Everyone was always friendly.
Great Place
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
It is a lovely place to work. Great environment, great people. Non-stressful workplace. People are very friendly and always willing to help. I would advise anyone to work there.
Rigorous legal atmosphere with rewarding work
Juvenile Rights Practice Paralegal II (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 9, 2018
This is a fast paced public defenders office with passionate attorneys and tons of need based client contact. A passionate team of attorneys fill this office with optimism and motivation that is needed to work through the most difficult cases Family Court sees.
Pros
workplace atmosphere / PTO
Cons
little room for career advancement
It was ok
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 6, 2018
Legal Aid is a great place to work if your sole purpose is to help people. Given that it is a non-profit, the pay is not at a good living expense level. I totally understand why, but that doesn't help when your power bill is due.
Pros
100% paid medical
Cons
Not enough money
interesting work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
helping decipher medical records for the LAS attorneys is incredibly rewarding. I cannot say enough complimentary things about the attorneys I have worked with. So dedicated and so knowledgeable
Legal Aid provides good job security and good benefits, but little opportunity for advancement.
Associate Appellate Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
It would be difficult to provide an account of a typical day at Legal Aid because the different practice areas involve very different life styles. What can be said is that the job culture is mostly collegial, but it is also highly politicized, mostly leftward leaning and highly cliquish. If you want legal input into a case you are working on, people are not selfish about information and will give you whatever you need. If you want to have a social life, best look elsewhere. Younger Legal Aid attorneys are not especially friendly unless you inhabit their social sphere and older attorneys are family oriented and simply have no time for socializing. Medical benefits are great. The pension plan is not. Whether you have reasonable hours depends entirely on which practice area you are in. Because of the politicized nature of Legal Aid, it is best to avoid the political fray, especially if you are not on the far left of the political spectrum, because you will surely be burned. Memories are long and, for a purportedly humanitarian institution, both forgiveness and, dare I say, caring for one's colleagues, are virtues that are in short supply. Management will never protect you from your colleagues and you can never protect yourself from management if you do not have the support of your colleagues.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
everything else
Case Handler
Paralegal Case Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Participated in intake of prospective clients that enter the office. Assisted attorneys with litigation of housing court cases. Interviewed clients with housing concerns. Processed applictions and followed up.
Pros
closure of cases
Cons
unhappy clients
Great internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2018
I loved working with legal aid. Easy to follow. Able to do as much as I could in a 3 month period. My professor was out of the office sometimes, but he always left me work to do.
Pros
Great chance to move up
Cons
Need more positions available
Great experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kew Gardens, NYFebruary 8, 2018
It is not my first time working for The Legal Aid Society. The staff is pretty good and the work that they have me doing is simple. The management is fair as well.
Great Experience!
Hotline Intake Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 30, 2018
An employee is usually an intern or extern who is "thrown in the water," but not without first being partnered with someone experienced in dealing with everyday legal issues.

Ana and Fernanda, as well as all the attorneys, are all there because they enjoy the atmosphere and helping others.

The facility also holds clinics where people can come in and consult with attorneys in groups or individually, and they are also given quite competent DIY information.

I was privileged to work there for the time I was able to do so.
Pros
Lots of support
Cons
Some calls may last hours; others minutes