The Legal Aid Society Employee Reviews

My review for LAS
Information Systems Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 24, 2018
Working for the Legal Aid Society was very rewarding. I learned about laws and how the court system works. I was also very impressed and motivated by the work the attorneys do for their clients and their dedication to them. Despite the increasing amount of responsibilities and decreasing amount of funds and assistance, I felt it was a sort of calling to continue to do great for the attorneys who in turn were able to help their clients due to most of my work.
Pros
Great culture, benefits, learning experience
Cons
Lacks proper management due to amount of work and responsibilites
Draining work environment
Paralegal Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Elmhurst, NYOctober 10, 2018
The Legal Aid Society is a very draining place to work. They are unorganized and unprofessional most of the time. I really don't have much to say about the place the only possible good thing about this organization are the benefits which still are not that good.
Good people to work with
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 4, 2018
Attorneys spend a lot of time in court. Would be better if there was more supervision and streamlined processes. Emotionally taxing. Lots of benefits work.
Pros
Have the freedom to control your schedule to a degree
Cons
Hard to feel like you're making a difference
Great place to work if you want to help those less fortunate
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 27, 2018
Learned so much working in intake. Supervisor was very smart and Knowledgeable. I was able to learn about different fields of the law. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping those less fortunate.
Good benefits
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2018
The company does not pay well, however, I learned about law and how to deal with the clients on a personal and professional level. The company assists with legal representation for those who cannot afford an attorney.
Great Learning Experience
Paralegal Casehandler (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 5, 2018
The Legal Aid Society, is the best job I have had. I need something different and more income due to personal circumstances. I definitely love working and helping others at this non profit organization.
Pros
Family oriented, vacation time when requested.
Cons
We have over 100 employees in my division and you do not get to know the new hires.
So much to do
Rikers Island Paralegal II (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 21, 2018
No matter what it is you want to do in an interdisciplinary flied the legal aid society has it, from criminal matters to civil and even juvenile rights practice. I'm the helping type of person and love that no matter what my outlook on life is this is the type of environment that will help you grow as an individual and a professional
Poor management.
FINANCE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
They Promote incompetent people that lack communication skills and poor management. People pretty much stay for the benefits. Low pay for the work amount of work you perform.
Benefits
Cons
Salary, High Turnover
Great work
SUPPORTING STAFF (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 26, 2018
The payment was good. The works were very rewarding and meaningful. Rewarding work, great co-workers, long leash to work independently
Pros

Flexible for families, benefits are decent
Pros
N\a
Cons
n/a
Diversity of staff
SSI Advocate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2018
Very passionate work in service of primarily poor, uneducated, disadvantaged people. Several departments ranging from civil rights to healthcare. There is an expectation that employees continue to grow and develop with an emphasis on higher education. Employees must be flexible and willing to go into the field when the need arises.
Pros
Open minded management
Cons
Salary doesn’t commensurate with level of work
Great benefits and vesting towards the pension after 5 years
Paralegal/Case Manager (NYS Notary) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Legal Aid has excellent benefits and an excellent work/life balance. No micro managers and you get a lot of autonomy. I have worked in corporate America for years and the difference is incomparable. The only thing I don't like is the commute and the location but outside of that everything is awesome.
Borough Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Great place to work. Staff are engaged and passionate regarding the organization's mission. Client services is at the root of process improvement. All are dedicated to successful outcomes.
Best internship
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 10, 2018
Excellent internship, everyone works as a team and always willing to help others. I was an intern who shadow the social workers in Queens, and was able to experience the wonderful environment.
Great experience
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ponce, PRJune 20, 2018
It was great working there, I learn a lot about the justice system, how to work with clients, prepare for trials, review documents, write pleadings, discovery, motions, briefs, legal memorandums and other documents.
Layed back office environment
Temp (Paralegal I-Civil) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 25, 2018
On a daily I would check the basket to see if any work requests were there to be done. I learned how to open and close cases using the Law Manager system. I filed away the cases once they were closed. Interpretations were sometimes done on a daily basis or I would get emailed about them every other day. The interpretations took place in either the attorneys office or in the meeting rooms. Sometimes the interpretations were done over the phone. There wasn't really anything I found challenging. Anything I was not too sure of I would ask questions. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
high paced
Paralegal I (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2018
Typical work day consist of working in the courtroom filing and customer service.
I've learned a lot about criminal law working closely with attorneys and judges.
Management was fair due to the high paced job it was.
The hardest part was trying ot keep up in the courtroom when there was over a hundred cases done in a day. .
Pros
overtime
Great Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
I had a great time working there. I worked underneath a defense attorney in the criminal appeals bureau and every day I learned something new. Everyone was always friendly.
Great Place
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
It is a lovely place to work. Great environment, great people. Non-stressful workplace. People are very friendly and always willing to help. I would advise anyone to work there.
Rigorous legal atmosphere with rewarding work
Juvenile Rights Practice Paralegal II (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 9, 2018
This is a fast paced public defenders office with passionate attorneys and tons of need based client contact. A passionate team of attorneys fill this office with optimism and motivation that is needed to work through the most difficult cases Family Court sees.
Pros
workplace atmosphere / PTO
Cons
little room for career advancement
It was ok
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 6, 2018
Legal Aid is a great place to work if your sole purpose is to help people. Given that it is a non-profit, the pay is not at a good living expense level. I totally understand why, but that doesn't help when your power bill is due.
Pros
100% paid medical
Cons
Not enough money