The Legal Aid Society Employee Reviews

Borough Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Great place to work. Staff are engaged and passionate regarding the organization's mission. Client services is at the root of process improvement. All are dedicated to successful outcomes.
Layed back office environment
Temp (Paralegal I-Civil) (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 25, 2018
On a daily I would check the basket to see if any work requests were there to be done. I learned how to open and close cases using the Law Manager system. I filed away the cases once they were closed. Interpretations were sometimes done on a daily basis or I would get emailed about them every other day. The interpretations took place in either the attorneys office or in the meeting rooms. Sometimes the interpretations were done over the phone. There wasn't really anything I found challenging. Anything I was not too sure of I would ask questions. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Great Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
I had a great time working there. I worked underneath a defense attorney in the criminal appeals bureau and every day I learned something new. Everyone was always friendly.
Rigorous legal atmosphere with rewarding work
Juvenile Rights Practice Paralegal II (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 9, 2018
This is a fast paced public defenders office with passionate attorneys and tons of need based client contact. A passionate team of attorneys fill this office with optimism and motivation that is needed to work through the most difficult cases Family Court sees.
Pros
workplace atmosphere / PTO
Cons
little room for career advancement
Legal Aid provides good job security and good benefits, but little opportunity for advancement.
Associate Appellate Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
It would be difficult to provide an account of a typical day at Legal Aid because the different practice areas involve very different life styles. What can be said is that the job culture is mostly collegial, but it is also highly politicized, mostly leftward leaning and highly cliquish. If you want legal input into a case you are working on, people are not selfish about information and will give you whatever you need. If you want to have a social life, best look elsewhere. Younger Legal Aid attorneys are not especially friendly unless you inhabit their social sphere and older attorneys are family oriented and simply have no time for socializing. Medical benefits are great. The pension plan is not. Whether you have reasonable hours depends entirely on which practice area you are in. Because of the politicized nature of Legal Aid, it is best to avoid the political fray, especially if you are not on the far left of the political spectrum, because you will surely be burned. Memories are long and, for a purportedly humanitarian institution, both forgiveness and, dare I say, caring for one's colleagues, are virtues that are in short supply. Management will never protect you from your colleagues and you can never protect yourself from management if you do not have the support of your colleagues.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
everything else
Case Handler
Paralegal Case Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Participated in intake of prospective clients that enter the office. Assisted attorneys with litigation of housing court cases. Interviewed clients with housing concerns. Processed applictions and followed up.
Pros
closure of cases
Cons
unhappy clients
Great experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kew Gardens, NYFebruary 8, 2018
It is not my first time working for The Legal Aid Society. The staff is pretty good and the work that they have me doing is simple. The management is fair as well.
Collaborative but stressful work environment
Forensic Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
This was a collaborative but stressful work environment. Fast-paced, lots of cases to be handled. Issues with communication between departments, and communication overall.
Pros
Parties, trainings.
Cons
Burn out.
Productive Place to Work?
PARALEGAL 1 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2017
Depends on the job title you have. Anything below a Paralegal II and it will be a horrible place to be at. There isn't a level of respect between managers and subordinates
LAS review
Forensic Social Worker - SIFI Certified (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2017
I love the work that I do at LAS and the people that I work on behalf of. I believe this agency and the social workers within it play an important role in advocacy for disenfranchised individuals.
Employed at The Legal Aid Society
Paralegal II (Former Employee) –  111 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, N.Y. 11205August 29, 2017
The very best employment years of my adult life.
Those eighteen years were so enjoyable and educational, I will be for ever grateful to my fellow co workers and management.
Pros
Continuing education
Gain experience
Paralegal I (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 27, 2017
Very flexible, teaches you a lot and room to grow. The union fights for you and the benefits are great. There are flaws but the good out weight the bad
Extraordinary Workplace With Extraordinary People.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2017
Every day is a new challegne in the field, this challenge is cultrued in an envioronment that that encourages growth. When you're doing something you love and are trained for, the days are always rewarding, understandable, and serves as a positive catalyst for life's everyday changes.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Pressure on self due to the significance of the job.
Job/Internship
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
a fun experience nothing but best things. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to be a legal aid. To work there. Thanks Cassandra and Jennifer so much for making the job fun.
Good place for your first job
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Legal Aid is a good place to start your career. I found that the work I did there did not challenge me as much as I would have liked, and things became monotonous after a while. In spite of that, I learned a ton and there is a good culture at Legal Aid.
Instructive
Paralegal 2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
I learned the court process for the different areas of law while I was there so, I appreciate that opportunity. They also trained me in asking questions, and obtaining information from clients which I also appreciate. The hours were great.
Great dedicated staff
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2015
Staff is great and committed to offering free legal services to the poor of New York City.

Organization has too many different 'cultures' between headquarters and the borough offices.
A law firm
Trial Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2015
The Legal Aid Society's Criminal Practice is the largest public defender program in the country and serves as the primary provider of indigent defense services in New York City. The Criminal Practice handles a total of more than 230,000 cases each year with a staff of 800, including approximately 550 staff attorneys, supervising attorneys and management attorneys and nearly 270 social workers, investigators, paralegals, and support and administrative staff.
Excellent place to work, family friendly
Social Work Supervisor, The Kathryn (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 31, 2015
I have worked at Legal Aid for over ten years and have been very happy with the management and work/life balance. I have great co-workers and the management team is excellent. A typical day involves meeting with client, being in court, conducting field visits. I have learned a great deal about the child welfare system and the family court system. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the clients and advocating for them. the hardest part of my job is feeling frustrated with the slow motion of the system.
I gained a great deal of valuable experience.
Senior Trial Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2014
The experience I gained here helped shape me into the winning attorney I am today.