The Leona Group Employee Reviews

I loved what I did at my job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 13, 2018
My job was exciting and full. I was able to see, greet and help many of our students on a daily basis. I also worked very closely with families concerning school and home related issues as I was also the homeless liaison.My husband got a job in Oklahoma which meant relocation and leaving my job. It was a good thing to happen as the past couple years at this site had become difficult but yet a hard time because I put so much of myself into the job. I LOVED what I did and did it 100 percent on a daily basis, It was personally hard to leave, but at the same time I needed to spread my wings.
Pros
Lasting friendships made with families, co-workers. Great Insurance. The things I learned throughout the years.
Cons
Raises, bonuses, leadership
School is run like a business to make profit
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 30, 2018
Teachers are paid very well, but you're supposed to be a profit generator, not a teacher. A lot of turnover on the staff, really enjoyed the students but management is horrible.
July 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed working with students! If you have not already shared your concerns about management, we invite you to do so by reaching out to management and/or Human Resources.

Rotten place to work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2018
Worked in southern Phoenix area. Principal paid favorites with the staff. If you were a favorite, you could do no wrong. If you won't, you could do no right. Principal yelled at and chastized staff in public areas and not in private
July 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment. If you have not already shared your concerns about school leadership, we invite you to do so by reaching out to management and/or Human Resources.

Overall a good place to work.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 19, 2018
My typical day would begin at 7:15 and end at 4. Students have one special class four days a week. I learned having a supportive work environment is essential for success in the field of education.
Pros
Free lunch * if left overs, team environment
Cons
inner city families with tough/sad lives
April 24, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and for the work you do for children and families!

no chance
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 4, 2018
I will never work as a classroom teacher for Leona Group again. The constant threats and arrogance is too much for a normal human being to handle. The criminal activity and fraud has been swept under the carpet and ignored.
Pros
good kids
Cons
location, school leader and criminal activity
April 6, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. If you have not already shared these concerns with your school leadership and/or Human Resources, we hope you will do so.

Very Fast Paced
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 5, 2018
Its very fast paced and high standards for the students. Some of the goals are unrealistic and difficult to meet as the teacher. In order to meet the goals for the company you have to be willing to do many hours of work unpaid.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
unrealistic standards
April 6, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. There's no question that teaching is a demanding profession and many teachers take their work "home." We appreciate what you do for children!

Working around children is fun.
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 19, 2018
If you are kind to all the people and you like kids I think you will like this job. Being on time and doing your work is a key part of this job. I really loved this job and I know you would too.
Great Co-Workers
2nd and 3rd Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 13, 2017
Great friends to work with. wonderful culture and I learned a lot from all of them. The hardest part of the job lock of materials and supplies. No enough resources for children with extra needs. I love the people.
Great staff poor management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2017
Staff overworked and micromanaged to exhaustion. This company is more focused on profits and appearances for upper management and could care less about teachers and students. If you are looking for a company to work for, look elsewhere. If you currently work for them, you have my pity.
Pros
dedicated and hard working teachers
Cons
morally bankrupt corporate leadership
sub teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 1, 2017
This was a nice company to work for. The staff was nice and the teachers were nice. they were very helpful and the children was fine. I enjoyed working with this company
Fun work environment, helping teachers and students
Security Officer/Data Processing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 6, 2017
I enjoyed watching the student mature during high school. It was a pleasure working with management and staff. I loved the school activities such as the dances and being a coach for flag football team.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch
Cons
Pay typical for education systems
Public Dollars in Greedy Private Hands
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 30, 2017
The Leona Company makes millions of dollars by exploiting teachers and its economically challenged student body. School Directors are given incentives for cutting costs at the expense of staff and students (seems like a conflict of interest). High turnover due to slave wages; many wonderful people have worked in Leona schools, but left because of below industry standard wages.

Most school facilities are old and in need of refurbishing, many are over-crowded and lack outdoor space for recess or PE; and few opportunities for enrichment education are offered to students. It is scary to think America's school system is heading in this direction,
Pros
Some great educators
Cons
Unfair wages
The culture was the best part
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2017
All of the employees always get a long. We'd have potlucks, everybody helps each other in and outside of the workplace. The hardest part of my job was the hot summers. I loved working with kids and faculty.
Pros
Free lunches, movie tickets
Cons
Not many benefits
Horrible Company
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 24, 2017
I have worked for the Leona Group for 5 years as a teacher. They can't retain teachers because many reasons. One being poor leadership. There is no accountability for the administration. Administration doesn't have experience teaching in classrooms and evaluations are completely skewed to their biased remarks.

New teachers every year. Assessments change every year. Nothing is consistent. Only 5 PTO days that include your sick day. So if you get sick, good luck.
Pros
healthcare
NOT a good place to work!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMarch 16, 2017
They can not keep staff because teachers are not respected by the administration or students! I had students told by other staff that they did not need to do my assignments if they didn't feel like they should and the school leader AND an unqualified person come in my classroom and take over my lesson because they didn't like what I was doing!
The school is run by the students and teachers are criticized by administration when students do not like them!
I have an issue with being told how to run my classroom by someone that does not have an education degree and went from being a classroom aide to being in charge of the students and teachers in the upper grade level!
The upper grade levels do not have a PE class and have to sit the whole lunch period. These kids are expected to sit and be quite from 7:50 a.m. until 4:00 everyday! They have no outlet at all and become crazy as the day goes on!
Student discipline..... no such thing!
Pros
Cons
No support and no respect from administration
Don't ever work here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIFebruary 22, 2017
The Leona Group cares about one thing: themselves. They hired an entire staff to teach in a building they ended up never getting. The staff was informed TWO days before they were due to start. Many teachers resigned from their current positions and could lot get them back. We were offered no severance pay. Don't ever work for this group. Terrible people.
great place to work
Assistant Director of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH 43606February 10, 2017
Prides itself on the children and making sure all get the education they deserve. Great place to work. Would still be there if the transportation department didnt get bought out.
Positive work environment
Special Education-Paraprofessional Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48210January 8, 2017
The school administration and professionals are very engaged with the teaching of students in a positive atmosphere.

Everyone is willing to participate and help
Pros
Staff
Cons
Need more staff
Fun coworkers
Student Mentor / Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2015
Great co-workers
Hardest part was not having a lot to do and doing tasks that were others' responsibility
Liked working on a school schedule
Pros
good camaraderie amongst teachers and staff, school breaks
Cons
little communication, bored, not a lot to do during down time, no job description, asked to do things that were not my place to handle, told not to do things I tried to do to fill my time
Na
Human Resources/ Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 14, 2015
Leona is a good company to work for. No issues, however need to get more involved with the school. Get feedback from current employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Leona Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.8

1.6Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight