The Leona Group Employee Reviews

Lots of demands, but little support
Teacher of Math (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 10, 2019
Too much pressure for teachers to do paperwork of some type or another. There is not enough support struggling teachers from instructional coaches. Constant pressure to deliver innovated lessons, but little time and support is given.
benefits
Cons
heavy work load
Stay Away
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 27, 2018
The School Leader was ineffective. Staff was promised positions and then the Leader "forgot" about the promises. The management was non-existent. Once a year the CEO cam by for a 5 minute interview.
Learned a lot
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 15, 2018
With this being my first school district in education, I learned a lot from my first principal. However, after the change in administration it became a educational facility to a testing facility. The real education ended, and the constant need to test all the time was very difficult to teach.
A coporation that condones harassment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 18, 2018
The principal would not listen to my complaints about workplace bullying. She allowed another teacher to turn students against me. The principal would then follow up with poor reviews for my classroom management skills. Dont work there unless you're starving.
Pros
Ummm... still thinking
Cons
Outrageous amount of work, little compensation
Great company to work for!
School leader, Dream Academy (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 1, 2018
The Leona Group has a great CEO who "get's it". He knows how to serve the students in the underserved areas. Great people to work with lots of room for advancement.
Cons
None really
I loved what I did at my job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 13, 2018
My job was exciting and full. I was able to see, greet and help many of our students on a daily basis. I also worked very closely with families concerning school and home related issues as I was also the homeless liaison.My husband got a job in Oklahoma which meant relocation and leaving my job. It was a good thing to happen as the past couple years at this site had become difficult but yet a hard time because I put so much of myself into the job. I LOVED what I did and did it 100 percent on a daily basis, It was personally hard to leave, but at the same time I needed to spread my wings.
Pros
Lasting friendships made with families, co-workers. Great Insurance. The things I learned throughout the years.
Cons
Raises, bonuses, leadership
School is run like a business to make profit
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 30, 2018
Teachers are paid very well, but you're supposed to be a profit generator, not a teacher. A lot of turnover on the staff, really enjoyed the students but management is horrible.
July 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed working with students! If you have not already shared your concerns about management, we invite you to do so by reaching out to management and/or Human Resources.

Rotten place to work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2018
Worked in southern Phoenix area. Principal paid favorites with the staff. If you were a favorite, you could do no wrong. If you won't, you could do no right. Principal yelled at and chastized staff in public areas and not in private
July 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment. If you have not already shared your concerns about school leadership, we invite you to do so by reaching out to management and/or Human Resources.

Overall a good place to work.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 19, 2018
My typical day would begin at 7:15 and end at 4. Students have one special class four days a week. I learned having a supportive work environment is essential for success in the field of education.
Pros
Free lunch * if left overs, team environment
Cons
inner city families with tough/sad lives
April 24, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and for the work you do for children and families!

Proving comprehensive, supervision and support to students
Second (2nd) Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 8, 2018
Proving comprehensive, supervision and support to students. Adapting and creating an atmosphere to learning while enduring the required curriculum to meet the needs of each student.
Working from 7:30 am until 4:00 pm daily.
Great rapport with parents and co workers.
July 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and thank you for the work you do to support students and families!

no chance
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 4, 2018
I will never work as a classroom teacher for Leona Group again. The constant threats and arrogance is too much for a normal human being to handle. The criminal activity and fraud has been swept under the carpet and ignored.
Pros
good kids
Cons
location, school leader and criminal activity
April 6, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. If you have not already shared these concerns with your school leadership and/or Human Resources, we hope you will do so.

Very Fast Paced
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 5, 2018
Its very fast paced and high standards for the students. Some of the goals are unrealistic and difficult to meet as the teacher. In order to meet the goals for the company you have to be willing to do many hours of work unpaid.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
unrealistic standards
April 6, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. There's no question that teaching is a demanding profession and many teachers take their work "home." We appreciate what you do for children!

Working around children is fun.
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 19, 2018
If you are kind to all the people and you like kids I think you will like this job. Being on time and doing your work is a key part of this job. I really loved this job and I know you would too.
Great Co-Workers
2nd and 3rd Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 13, 2017
Great friends to work with. wonderful culture and I learned a lot from all of them. The hardest part of the job lock of materials and supplies. No enough resources for children with extra needs. I love the people.
Great staff poor management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2017
Staff overworked and micromanaged to exhaustion. This company is more focused on profits and appearances for upper management and could care less about teachers and students. If you are looking for a company to work for, look elsewhere. If you currently work for them, you have my pity.
Pros
dedicated and hard working teachers
Cons
morally bankrupt corporate leadership
sub teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 1, 2017
This was a nice company to work for. The staff was nice and the teachers were nice. they were very helpful and the children was fine. I enjoyed working with this company
Fun work environment, helping teachers and students
Security Officer/Data Processing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 6, 2017
I enjoyed watching the student mature during high school. It was a pleasure working with management and staff. I loved the school activities such as the dances and being a coach for flag football team.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch
Cons
Pay typical for education systems
Public Dollars in Greedy Private Hands
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 30, 2017
The Leona Company makes millions of dollars by exploiting teachers and its economically challenged student body. School Directors are given incentives for cutting costs at the expense of staff and students (seems like a conflict of interest). High turnover due to slave wages; many wonderful people have worked in Leona schools, but left because of below industry standard wages.

Most school facilities are old and in need of refurbishing, many are over-crowded and lack outdoor space for recess or PE; and few opportunities for enrichment education are offered to students. It is scary to think America's school system is heading in this direction,
Pros
Some great educators
Cons
Unfair wages
The culture was the best part
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2017
All of the employees always get a long. We'd have potlucks, everybody helps each other in and outside of the workplace. The hardest part of my job was the hot summers. I loved working with kids and faculty.
Pros
Free lunches, movie tickets
Cons
Not many benefits
Horrible Company
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 24, 2017
I have worked for the Leona Group for 5 years as a teacher. They can't retain teachers because many reasons. One being poor leadership. There is no accountability for the administration. Administration doesn't have experience teaching in classrooms and evaluations are completely skewed to their biased remarks.

New teachers every year. Assessments change every year. Nothing is consistent. Only 5 PTO days that include your sick day. So if you get sick, good luck.
Pros
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Leona Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight