The Local Pages, Inc Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
This place is a joke and unprofessional
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 9, 2018
They flew me to a sales training that lasted a week but only needed to be 2 days. I could have done a better job than the trainer. They gave me an offer letter but never paid me what they promissed.
Pros
Cons
Every con you could think of !
Stressful
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 10, 2018
It was a stressful work place. You were always worried about doing something wrong and getting in trouble for it. They had their cliches and they knew you were the new employee so they watched you even more. But not in a willing to help way. More of a.. You were in the way.. way.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Never doing anything right.
Misrepresented at Best
Outside Media Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2018
I was very apprehensive when recruited but, I had sold yellow pages before and did well so, I was open to trying this. Bad Idea! I did well at first and wrote 6 new businesses in a matter of a month. The problem doesn't lie on sales activity it stems from the way the company is managed and you are paid. This was 100% commission sales position even though they say you have a base but, it is a draw. So, your sales go against your so called base. You are selling this product in rural communities which are not very populated so, the sale amount is very low. The business model won't work if you are on 100% commission and each business you sell is not even a $1000. Also, the way the leads are categorized they are all in zones and assigned to someone so, you don't have the freedom to go and call on businesses that don't have a store front. Yellow pages is a brutal industry with a lot of rejection. You have to have a massive amount of activity to get results. That will never happen here the way this is structured. Also, the amount of leads the company gives you doesn't support the activity needed to succeed. Beware the meals are free but you have to pay tips, and for conference calls which are required by the company, the wear and tear on your car and gas. Are you getting the picture this is not worth it? That would be my point! Bottom line this company can't or won't invest in technology to help the whole business grow and with the employee having to pay all the nickel and dime expenses. You are set up to fail and won't even make minimum wage working here. I would  more... believe the reviews and look elsewhere as even working a retail sales position you will make more money.  less
Pros
Eating out at restaurants
Cons
Nickel and Dime you for expenses, set up to fail
Must love to travel and be on the road
Book Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 9, 2017
This is a great opportunity for those who like to travel and be self-motivated in sales. You can make as much money as you like, just show up. Your food and accommodations are paid through the company. The culture at TLP is casual and fun.
Pros
insurance, food, accomodations
Cons
no growth opportunity unless you live in SLC
Not a place for advancement.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 26, 2017
Pay is mediocre for all positions. Raises are not given unless you're promoted or change departments. The facility is not very inviting. Most enjoyable part of the job was the hours.
Cons
Pay, benefits
overall
Advertising consultant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 28, 2017
It was a good working environment but we were never in one place for very long. it was hard to establish any type of friendship with anyone other then coworkers.
Not good
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORDecember 13, 2016
Not a good place to work. The turnover rate is incredible. In 2 years of working there they must have hired/fired at least 50 people, and that's just in the Oregon/Washington territories. The managers in the Northwest are very unprofessional can't keep any sales reps because of their dishonesty and attempts at mind games. Do yourself a favor and RUN
Pros
Working in small towns
Cons
Management and cheap motels
Outside sales, meeting quotas. Frequent travel.
Yellow Page Ad Sales (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2016
Meeting with new and current customers to determine their advertising for yellow pages. Travel to different areas often. I really got to know more about particular businesses. Most interaction with management was mainly by phone.
Pros
You can earn as much as you are willing to work.
Cons
Traveling for prolonged periods of time.
Successful and Awesome!!
Secretary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake Cty, UTMarch 4, 2016
I have been here since last year and I enjoy it so much!! The co-workers and managers are encouraging, motivating, and are so enjoyable to be around!! They always want to see everyone progress and succeed! It's so nice to visit and meet with new people inside and outside of the company! The Hours are so awesome too!! I finally get nights AND weekends OFF to spend with my family who are so grateful :) This is a company I want to stand by, and I totally recommend working for this company!
Pros
hours, co-workers, management, meeting new people
Cons
Traffic to and from work
Flexible fun outside sales position working with small businesses
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 4, 2016
My Typical Day at work is to start calling on businesses around 9AM. I love that the leads are all provided for me (I hate to prospect). I like the people on my team (4). We try to meet for lunch or dinner. The way the food works is neat. They have multiple restaurants that we eat at for free. We always tip well because we are in these restaurants often. The Hardest part of my job is when I want to collect the whole amount (paid in full) for 10% more income, and they only give me a payment or two upfront. Love the hours and Monday through Friday work week ROCKS!
Pros
Flexible schedule, Free food, Great co-workers
Cons
Out of town a lot
Warm, firendly work enviroment.
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2016
Great culture, supportive environment. Very small town or family feel to the people working here. When projects get hard everyone is helpful and kind (They all offer to help). There is a lot of trust in coworkers and most everyone gets along (or they hide it well). There is a great social culture too if you want it, with people regularly going to the pub after work or meeting up for stuff on the weekends or lunches. Great office location near the airport, Great working hours and paid holidays. Best and most fun company that I have ever worked for.
repetitive but worth it!
Sales Associate/Contract Entry (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 21, 2016
The hardest part of the job is I single handily dealt with all the contracts for this business I copied, saved data, and sent it to correct department. It was repetitive but a good job to have, i learned a lot about computers due to having that job.
Pros
bi weekly paychecks
Cons
redundant
Decent Place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake CityAugust 4, 2015
When I first went there, I wasn't too impressed with the building, as it is extremely run down.
I was hired on to be the receptionist, and to be honest, I did love being the receptionst, although the pay was terrible.
I was promised after 60 days I would get reevaluated for a raise.
Two months after being the receptionist, I went to the delivery department.
I had hopes my pay would go up, as I'd be doing multiple different things now.
Well, that didn't happen.
I was now making EMP Sheets, Pallet Tags, Filing, Organizing the library, handling all outgoing mail, managing the supply closet, and multiple other things,
For what I was doing, I should have been making way more than $10 an hour.
And after seeing how much this company does make off of the books, I find it pretty absurd for what they pay the employees, especially because their aren't many of them.
Pros
Awesome people.
Cons
Extremely low pay
Shock...people who can't sell don't make money working commission only
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  OR, WAFebruary 11, 2015
To the people that complained about the travel, pay and expenses were you not paying attention when you were interviewed? Was this all not explained in the advertisement you responded to?

I worked for the company for years and would still be there had my spouse not been transferred to a state where they do not produce directories. From the ad to the interview all details were itemized, all negatives were brought up, all positives were explained and I had a decision to make. I chose to work for a company where I got rewarded when I did my job, paid weekly, left alone to work how I chose and given leads (NO COLD CALLING). If you are looking for a free-ride, and I saw plenty of those types when I worked there, this is not the company for you. However, if you have an average work ethic and the knowledge/ability to create your own presentation and overcome objections you will make a killing with this company.

It is really easy to anonymously write a negative review about a company who terminated an individual because the individual was not what they made themselves to be when they interviewed. You, anonymous reviewer, are probably a good first date but horrible in a relationship because you don't listen and then complain when the other person holds you to the expectations that they told you they would. How about taking responsibility for your own choices instead of always being the victim, you probably said you were a good sales person and obviously that wasn't the case.

If anyone works hard and can sell an easy to sell product this company is the right company and from
  more... what I understand things are getting better. When I was there they paid up to 30% commission on new sales, from what my contacts there still tell me know they pay up to 50% on those same accounts.

TLP please come to Indiana so I can work for you again!!
Pros
high commissions, weekly paychecks, no cold-calling
Cons
not nationwide only in west
Been here for 6 months so far
Book Manager (Current Employee) –  New MexicoFebruary 11, 2015
have been working with The Local Pages for 6 months now, I have transitioned from Sales rep to Book Manager to now. I am making 6 figures currently and could not imagine working for anyone else.
Cons
Pros
Love my quarterly manager bonus
Growing Company
Business to Business Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 11, 2015
The hrs are perfect! The company is very generous with its pay structure. Your pay check is as big as you want to make it! Great support from leadership! The team meetings and conference calls are very encouraging and uplifting with allot of teachings on how to be the best you can be! Fantastic support through out the company!

I honestly can not think of room for improvement! This company is very well structured and the employees continue to grow together!
Advice to Management

Advancing in this company is what they encourage! They will help you reach any goal or advancement that you desire! This can definitely be a life time career!
Pros
Love my team that I work with.
Show me the money!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  IdahoFebruary 11, 2015
Managers help you find success, but you still have your own freedom and flexibility to plan your day and your schedule. You do need some self discipline. If you can work a full day and you can make some very good money!

Depending on your personal situation the travel can be the most difficult part of the job, but the income can definitely help overcome that challenge.

Keep doing what you are doing to help grow the company and provide more opportunities for the outside sales team. The new commission plan is awesome!
Pros
Compensation package was wonderful
Happy Employee
Book Manager (Current Employee) –  Oregon CoastFebruary 11, 2015
have been in the company for 3 years, Great team to work with. You can make as much money as you want and you get to travel around and work in different areas. The company has a Great support team to help you with everything you need. Come and join us, you'll love it.
Pros
Room for growth, promotions, and advancement
Cons
Non
Great Company to work for
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoriville CaliforniaFebruary 11, 2015
I started working for the Local Pages back in June. When I first started it was a little bit of a adjustment just because I had never sold before. But between the training I received at their corporate office and the on going training I receive in the field. I have been able to transition quickly and now I am making more in commission every week than I have ever made in a week before...

I can see how if you had younger children that required you to be home everyday. This could possibly not be a good fit with all the traveling during the year. I am single and all my kids are grown so I have the freedom to travel.
Pros
Great pay package, great company culture
Cons
non that I can think of
A workplace that allows for total autonomy, the skies are the limit!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.January 30, 2015
A typical day on duty at The Local Pages is never a dull moment, it is challenging and full of excitement. You are constantly challenged by customers, your team and leadership as well as circumstances to continue learning to be the best at what you do. The most difficult part of the job at times are trying to assist customers that just do not have the means financially to advertise with TLP. If you have a lofty financial goal you are seeking to reach, then you must consider employment at The Local Pages.
Pros
Seeing and experiencing different places and not having to pay for your lodging and meals.