The Lot Employee Reviews

Great job, many opportunities to grow
ISD server (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 8, 2019
I don’t understand why only the people who quit on the spot post on here hating it. Sure it’s a job, you have to work. Period. That’s how jobs work. I love it here, management is helpful, coworkers are awesome. They work with you if you are willing to work with them. Majority of the people who post on here hating it don’t know what they are talking about or just have unrealistic expectations or standards. I recommend this job to anyone willing to put in some work to get paid, like any other job. As a server, I get the help I need and I help others all the time. This is a fun place to work, the atmosphere is great and I couldn’t ask for a better situation. Sure, some days are tough but that’s with any job you go anywhere. Work here, give it some time, you’ll fall in love with it like I have.
Run. Fast. Just awful
Server (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Worst job I’ve ever had. I can’t even explain how awful this place is.

Management does nothing but yell at employees and sit and eat on their phones all day. Everyone working here is absolutely miserable. Multiple people have quit on the spot.

I can’t even explain how toxic this workplace is. Just run. Don’t even try it
Don’t work here.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CADecember 29, 2018
This is honestly the worst job I’ve ever had. Management did not do their job at all. To have been a newly open business, the owner wanted things to be TOO perfect. They don’t even train their employees. The job itself was ok, but management and the conditions they want you to work under is horrible.
Pros
Pay was okay
Cons
No breaks
A growing company with a great future.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2019
THE LOT offers a wide variety of different services. With this you get an opportunity to learn of the many components of a successful business. The management is very understanding and a pleasure to work with!
Pros
Great Food, Movie Tickets and a great management team
Unreasonable expectations for workers in all areas
Everything (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 19, 2018
I worked at the lot for almost two years, and it's one of the most stressful places you can imagine. I was hired on as part time and worked 40-50 hours every week. Time off was not a thing, and they're open 365 days a year, so they expect you to live there. The management changes bi-weekly, and you have to readapt to how they run a restaurant. I could honestly write novels about how bad of a place this is to work, but I won't. Just do yourself a favor and DON'T WORK HERE. Trust me.
Pros
free food/movies/nice co workers
Cons
literally everything
Run
Manager (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 26, 2018
They expect an outrageous amount of work, with little help and no breaks. There is absolutely no appreciation for you killing yourself for them daily. The work life balance is non-existent. There were constantly people crying and quiting. Turn over is the highest of any place I've ever worked.
The upper management is very unprofessional and lacks the experience to run a restuarant .
Employee (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 26, 2017
**Warning**
It's taken me a while to write this review. But a few of my industry friends, have thoughts about applying to place, and thought I would share my experience with all San Diego industry folks.

You need to think twice about working for the company. The employee turnaround is over 500%, the CEO and the Executive team place themselves above all customers and patrons, which support this theater and restaurant. The owner and his family are extremely difficult, demanding, and lack appreciation of hard working employees. They are there every day to be waited on hand and foot. I am a seasoned restaurant veteran, and have never experienced this type of chaos, disorder, and unprofessionalism in my entire career. You need to think twice before applying and working for this company. This industry is very small in San Diego, and word gets around rapidly. There are a lot of good companies to work for. Stay away from The Lot.
Pros
Free movies!
Cons
See my list below.
Great new concept
General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92106January 16, 2018
The Lot is a great company to work for and from opening the first location to the new expansion plan it has been a great experience to help establish the owners concept. This company has some of the best corporate staff I have ever met just completely dedicated to service individuals who have much experience in what they do and carry the business. I think the hardest part of the Job would have to be the hours and trying to have a life outside of work but I love what I do and what this company has been able to create.
Worst place I've ever worked at (seriously)
Barista (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 8, 2017
This is overall a bad place and it's not even bad because of any complicated reason--the management and executives just had no common sense. Employees were very kind and easy to work with but that's not much help when your manager expects more from you than you are assigned to do. They expect you to do everything at once and not once would they step up to help. Many can be found eating or just sitting in the office acting like they're super busy. Executives feel that they are above you and expect all their demands to be met. Availability is disrespected even as a student. Part timer given 35-40 hours a week and not allowed to drop hours without hassle. Don't even think about requesting time off.

Overall, I am a great and patient employee. I care about what I do and how I interact with guests but this place seriously sucked the life out of me. Could have potential if managers learn how to be leaders--extremely inexperienced and immature people who are unable to separate business from personal matters. I am only one of about 30 people who quit in the 6 months I worked there. If a place can't keep employees and managers for more than a few weeks, you have a problem.
Pros
fellow employees are nice
Cons
everything else
Terrible
Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2017
Lack of respect amongst coworkers. You are expected to perform tasks outside of your duties and job description. Management is poor and the turnover rate is insane. I am only one of many who have left.
Pros
Discounted food, free movie tickets
Cons
Everything else
Fun Place
Server (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 27, 2017
Good money and good peers but management is way too young and inexperienced. Overall it was an enjoyable experience and if you want the job just go in and ask for management, not very organized.
Poor management great idea
Restaurant and Theater Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2017
typical day at work always kept us on our toes but not in a good way. very tough to keep up with corporates demands. scheduling was not very good. workplace culture was not serious no one took pride in there work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks, little bonus
Fast Expasion Leads to Lack of Values
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2016
Helped open two locations during my time at The Lot. They are attempting to juggle casual dining with a dine in movie expeirience. They are attempting to expand at a very rapid past with 6 locations as quickly as 2 years, each locations has a price tag of fifteen million. Their COO had never worked in a restaurant before and every time he was in the building oporations would stop instead of go smoother. The CEO would ask for him to be served before guests on a Saturday afternoon. This position taught me the importance of free time. They have a manditory 6 day work week for managment with each day being 10 - 12 hours. The hours would be the most challenging aspect of this job. The most enjoyable aspect of the job would be to expeirience of opening a multi million dollar building and all the job training that foes along with that.
Pros
Beautiful location and great job expeirience
Cons
Lack of knowledgable executives
Easy going environment with lots to learn and money to be made.
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2017
As a whole the establishment is good the people are kind most of the time the management can sometimes be sloppy but most of the time the building is ran well.
Had the potential to be a thriving buisness if management was skilled in restaurant backround. I learned a lot about my capabilities here
Saute Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2017
Very high volume and fast paced due to movie theatre and restaurant having the same menu. I worked every station on the line. also had the privilege of training new cooks upon hire.
Pros
free movie viewings
Cons
inexperienced management
Just opened place so thats why it is so messy and hard to work at sometimes. Cool crew members though
server/barisrta/runner (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 11, 2015
Management is OK exept one bloodsucker from NY
Co-workers - the best
Sometimes very stresfull place and hard to work, organization is OK
Beyond busy but exciting
Cast member (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJuly 14, 2017
the place still needs work in all areas but overall not a bad place great food good service great movies some of the staff couldnwork on their speaking skills