The Marketing Arm Employee Reviews

It is not great.
Designer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2018
They like to use the term "Scrappy" But really it is just because they are cheap and everything is a mess. They really know how to take advantage of their employees.
Travel Marketing
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Lots of hands. Differnt situations all the time. Get to interact with a lot of people. Traveling is exciting. The people are nice and workplace culture is good.
a lot of office politics
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 18, 2018
I read through a few of the other reviews already present here and they're pretty accurate - the culture was a lot of fun and it's a great place to be if you're just starting out or if you're already at an executive level, but overall the management was pretty bad and the actual pay was poor.

Upward movement is also limited, but my biggest issue was with the office politics, and also with the fact that any complaints formally registered with HR were never, ever acted upon or even acknowledged in any way.

But the people are great and the benefits were pretty good (pay aside), and really is a great place to get your feet wet in the world of marketing.
Pros
great culture
Cons
management, pay, office politics
Great part time job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 12, 2018
It was a great part time job. I would have loved to have stayed if they offered full time. I just honestly couldn't afford to work there any more. Great people.
Pros
Freebies
Great Place to work!
Executive Assistant/ Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2017
The culture and the people at this company are great!! It is easy to work with everyone at this company. This is a dog friendly office and everyone works hard to produce great work.
Great if you're starting out/Already advanced in your career
Account Supervisor, Client (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 9, 2017
In a nutshell, this is a great company to work for if you're just starting out in your career, or already advanced to management level. The culture and work structure does NOT lend itself well to individuals who are at that in-between phase.

Management is okay - but they do not listen to their account people for real-time input on current project status. As a result, business is being lost.
Work hard play hard
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 18, 2017
The marketing arm has an extremely fun culture. I had a blast at the parties this company threw for us. However, the work can be pretty soul sucking. There's lots of office politics which can sometimes get in the way of advancement. Can also be pretty competitive and cut-throat, they're not afraid to fire people.
Promoting pet food lines
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAAugust 2, 2017
I really enjoyed the customer engagement and helping customers better understand the importance of healthy pet nutrition. Unfortunately the Pet Nutritionist Adviser marketing program came to an abrupt end and we were all terminated without any prior notice.
A few month before there had been a training meeting and we were told it was highly likely the program would continue another year, so it was quite a surprise to get terminated without notice of any kind, right before the Thanksgiving holiday.
Pros
Decent hourly pay, meeting customers and seeing their pets, giving guidance and pet food recommendations.
Cons
Working every Thurs, Fri., Sat., and Sun., standing and walking around store for long periods of time, slow customer traffic.
Fun place to work, fun company culture
IT Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Venice, CAJune 28, 2017
Fun place to work with a lot of young professionals. Great workplace culture. Company parties and outings are not spared. Fun CEOs and executives but no room for growth. After 10 years, only granted $4,000 raise from original rate as a 22 year old. Even after executives acknowledged I started a family and should start to see compensation that reflects my loyalty and experience, they never gave me that significant of a raise. That year it was $2,000/yr at my 8 year anniversary. I'm now 33 and get the same rate as recent college grads.
Pros
Culture, laid back atmosphere
Cons
No room for advancement, very low compensation
A fun place
Motion Designer and Video Editor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 5, 2017
TMA will never be accused of over-paying it's employees. I think, generally, their salaries are on the low side of average. But the time off around Thanksgiving and Christmas is very generous, and the people I've worked with there are pretty great.
Fun place to work with great people, however . . .
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 30, 2017
Leadership is extremely weak. Agency passes of alcohol and culture events as appropriate replacement for fair market pay. A great place to get some experience at the beginning of your career, but NOT a place to grow long term.
Pros
Fun events, big brands, sports and entertainment industry
Cons
weak leadership, lack of advancement opportunities, low pay
Great for the young. Great for account executives. Not ideal for creatives.
Creative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 10, 2016
If you're just getting started in the business, this is a solid place.

As you progress, it becomes less and less ideal if you're a creative hoping to have real influence on the work. Like many agencies, they tout the old "a great idea can come from anywhere" philosophy. And though they successfully practice it they do so at the risk of demoralizing creatives. Lots of disenchanted ADs and CWs. They also have these account/creative hybrids called "conceptors." While this model works for them, it might leave you miffed if you're used to a more traditional agency structure.

There's also a habit of handing out titles a bit too eagerly. What they call an ACD would oftentimes be a mid-level creative at most shops. Just an assessment; not a knock.

On the flip side, account executives can certainly thrive here. In fact, the client relationships for conceptors and account executives can have a greater influence on the creative (and, ultimately, success) than anything else.
Pros
Great culture for the young.
Cons
Creative output is lacking
An agency that allows you to work remotely
Better State Crew (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 19, 2015
- organized lead generation events for agents
- organized and took part in Better State Moments in Green Bay and Milwaukee
- completed expense reports
- selected staff for events
- organized and maintained a storage unit
- completed event recaps online
Pros
flexibility, working in the field
Cons
management team
Great place to work, advancement opportunities sparse
Account Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2015
TMA is an excellent company to work for, with great culture and work/life balance. Culture benefits, as well as training opportunities, help overlook mediocre salary and lack of opportunity for advancement.

This review is relevant to the Chicago office.
Pros
Culture, people
Cons
Opportunities, advancement
Not a bad place
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 29, 2014
This is a good company to work for, if you know anything about marketing. If you go in at an entry level position be prepared to be looked down at & get asked why you would want to work in a field you have no experience in. Some management are not leaders who are willing to train their staff. The culture is amazing! They are all about the well being of their staff.
Fun place when first out of school. Not so much a few years later...
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2014
Its great when you're first out of school and want to "prove" yourself by working long hours with fun company events. After a while, it gets very old and you have to question, "why can't I make what my friends are making at other agencies and not have that extra bowling day...?" Salaries are below industry averages for Dallas and the most hilarious thing is review time when (if you're lucky) to get a raise, you're told you got a huge raise because it was 7%. Yeah, 7% of nothing is still nothing...
Love it!
Art Director/Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 27, 2014
love it, laid back. everyone is very nice to work with. great benefits and work and life balance. I feel very appreciated! :-) I love it here.
Pros
work and life balance, vaction days, appreciate employees
Productive, fun, organized workplace with friendly atmosphere
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2014
I started on the Frito Lay team when it was a small but quickly growing team. The work was demanding but fun, there were a few late nights but nothing out of the ordinary. I had never worked for a marketing company before but I adapted quickly and really enjoyed the work. The people I worked with were a friendly and talented bunch who worked well together to produce some great work.
Pros
Free beer Friday!
Cons
Lack of job security
Productive and fun place
Art Director (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, CTOctober 7, 2013
The company's culture makes the job a fun and great place to work.
We are all good friends and work together to achieve the goals. Our managers are very good people and it makes our jobs easier, fun and secure. The hardest part of our job are the 24 hours deadlines, but we all work it out and support each other. The most enjoyable part of our job is to work with each other, there is so much chemistry and harmony in the group that makes every day a good day.
Excellent staff of motivated professionals, colleagues, and friends
Sports Marketing Consulting Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2013
A typical day at work involves corporate research for new business opportunities. Usually, signing a large brand like the many we have under our client roster, takes up to two years. I am the catalyst of new business research so my boss, the Executive VP of Sports Marketing can follow-up and try to secure individual campaign work or secure us as an AOR for the brand. My co-workers are dedicated and our tasks are varied, as our office is a satellite office of the one in Dallas, TX. The hardest part of the job is sometimes the frustration of not being able to sign clients as quickly as I'd like; however, it is a process and we understand that better than anyone I've seen. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a marketing campaign from start to finish.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Marketing Arm. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.9Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight