The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Fun location to work. But, low pay and no advancement.
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Events & Marketing Dept.May 3, 2018
I really enjoyed working at the zoo. The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was fun. My job involved working special events. There were great opportunities to experience behind the scenes moments and to learn about the animals. That was the best part. But - sadly the pay is very low, advancement is non-existent and the work hours are heavy during weekends and summer season. The facilities are decent, comfortable, and generally a safe place to work. However, the surrounding neighborhood is getting worse and affects the overall zoo experience.
Pros
Unique place to work. Opportunities to see behind the scenes.
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, long/busy hours in summer and on weekends.
Fun place to work
Visitor Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 19, 2018
Everyone is friendly and helpful no matter what department you work for or with. If you love children and seeing them happy, working here would provide you with great joy.
Not a healthy work environment
Keeper (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2018
I was blessed. I had the opportunity of working at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, however they needed some improvements. #1 first and for most being they needed a severe increase in positive reinforcement and a happy work atmosphere. For the most part, staff hated each other. Got called out for a phenotype flaw that I was born with and my manager plus HR did nothing about it. No wonder their turnover rate is so high...
Doesn't lead anywhere
Relief Keeper (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 22, 2018
I've just hit a dead end at the Maryland Zoo and a lot of my coworkers feel the same. They don't trust their animal staff to make decisions and micromanage to a frustrating degree.
Pros
Decent benefits, entry in the field
Cons
Low pay, little opportunity for advancement.
Sad to leave a great place to work
Reptile Keeper (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 12, 2017
I loved this job. Started off as an intern and when a position opened up, I applied and got the job. I'm sad that the reptile house closed and that my job went away.
Fun Internship in Education Department
Audience Evaluation Intern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 13, 2017
This internship is so fun and enjoyable. I aid the education department in many ways. I started my own audience evaluation study and am given the freedom to conduct it in whatever manner I would like.
If you love people and animals this is the job for you
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore Zoo, MDJune 7, 2017
Everyone is such delight work with ! Extra friendly environment, nice schedule to work around, Managers and supervisiors love Your intake on things !!
Productive and enjoyable place
Volunteer Department Extern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 12, 2017
The environment of this job is relaxing and enjoyable. The area is open and it fosters good communication with management. It may not be easy to obtain a job here but it comes with great benefits.
A nice place to meet all kinds of animal lovers and also meet different cultures.
Visitor Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 6, 2017
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore is a nice place to meet different kinds of people. Its has nice events throughout the year. Most coworkers are friendly and inviting.
Pros
Free lunch break.
Cons
The managers never have the same answers as the others
zoo
Ticket Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 9, 2017
visitor services department you are in a different position everyday and you do not no until the morning meeting management is not in communication with each other
You have to LOVE this job, or...
Animal Keeper I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2017
I miss this job with a passion that rivals what I went into this job having. The animals are fantastic, but the micromanaging makes for a bleak and tedious atmosphere. Coming in early and staying late are normal experiences and should be expected. The frustrating part is the micromanaging and near constant hassle of making sure the entire chain of command is on the same page before anything can progress. And the managers never seemed to agree often.
On the plus side, the zookeepers are some of the most dedicated group of workers I have ever had the pleasure to work with, some of which have been there 15+ yrs. This zoo is improving slowly but surely, and new exhibits are being added.
Pros
Hardworking individuals. New, exciting advancements. Good healthcare plans.
Cons
Frustrating management, low pay for the amount of work.
Great employers that turns into life time friends
LEAD VISITOR SERVICE RIDE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2016
It's a 9am to 5pm job which was great for me. Management always has your back for whatever situation. It's a great job to have if you're in school. It is a customer service job so you will have your good and bad days. Great fun place to work at. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the customers that don't want to follow the rules and are rude.
Pros
working outside with great people and can see wild animals every day.
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Nice quiet place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 8, 2015
My typical day at work is just make sure all buildings are secure and check out any alarms that go off. I work at night 5:30 pm to 1:30 am it's pretty quiet.
Great experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 5, 2014
I have already posted a review for this so I'm really just trying to take up space so it doesn't post the same thing twice.
An ok place
Visitor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 29, 2013
Its a great place to start and gain customer service experience. The down side is working outside in ALL the weather conditions.
Pros
Paid lunch break
Cons
Working outside
working here is wonderful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 2, 2012
Everyone is like family. You may bicker like brother and sister , but at the end of the day it is all hugs .
great job
Animal Contact Aid (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2012
nice place to work. fun great atmosphere wonderful animals and fast pace. Management was not to innovative