The Maschhoffs Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  IowaJune 6, 2018
Maschhoffs is a good place to work and advance your career. I went from a junior field advisor to field advisor to site manager to production manager in a matter of a few years.
Official response from The Maschhoffs
August 10, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to create an environment where people can develop and excel!

Job for people who like to farm or are desperate for half decent pay
Day One Farrower (Former Employee) –  Keosauqua, IAMay 22, 2018
Not a bad job for someone that likes fast pace and lots of hours. Needs to pay more considering overtime hours are paid straight time and you work over 40 hours every week and sometimes many days straight with no days off. Unfortunatrly when i was there management was changed and we had a manager that hired his weekend friends. Most of them were lazy and didnt care about the job.Also you are required to work every other weekend and sometimes more depending on staffing. Turn over is pretty outrageous so it is rare to be fully staffed. Benefits are amazing. Great blue cross blue shield healthcare at a low rate. Advancement opportunities are slim to none considering people are swapped out from different companies when advancement becomes available. Bonuses are possible but rare and management takes the majority. Laziness is an epidemic out on the breed to wean farms and nothing is done about it. Working conditions are brutal at times. Hard on respiratory system, long hours on concrete standing, walking, kneeling. Human resources department is a joke! Phone calls are rarely answered and never returned
Pros
Benefits, Bonuses when applicable
Cons
management, pay, hours, accountability, Hr
People are fun to work with management only thinks about the bottom line .
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, ILMay 13, 2018
At first it was a good company to work for but as New management came in it became more about the bottom line and not about the animals and employees. Management also would be harder on Caucasian than on Hispanics that work there.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Everything else
Poor sanitation, rats everywhere pigs in one position their entire life
Nunya (Former Employee) –  Carlyle, ILApril 3, 2018
Poo everywhere, if you want pig smell in your car forever then this is the place for you. Mice running everywhere. Pigs in one position their entire lifespan in filthy cages. The management is rude, diabolical and negligent. The bad outweighs the good at this place. No 15 min breaks only a lunch. Huge spiders and rats/mice (as aforementioned) showering in is a joke, that place is disgusting and a nightmare.
Pros
Clocking out whenever they get you to let you clock out
Cons
Working here
Listen
Production tech (Former Employee) –  Carlyle, ILFebruary 28, 2018
dont waste your time and they like to cover up stuff especially when your manager treats you like a dog there’s too much just don’t do it!!!! Your life matters
Pros
Animals
Cons
Healthcare
It was a great place to work at
Care provider (Current Employee) –  Space forceFebruary 25, 2018
I reported this idiot for mass negligence and cruelty to animals! The company came after me instead of this idiot. When they did that, they gave this punkass the green light to kill more pigs! I will get fired for protecting the pigs, for trying to increase productivity and get fired for trying to save the company. Thanks hr. You will get what you asked for! Watch your numbers drop!
not caring for employees
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Carlyle, ILFebruary 16, 2018
the management only cared about the numbers and didn't help or work with people to help them. poor management setup too many managers for the job. less managers and more communactions would of been better
Pros
work alone
Cons
management
Horrible management long hours
Production Technician breeding and farowing (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ILJanuary 30, 2018
Terrible work life balance no time to hang out with friends while working 100+ hours every 2 weeks with only 2 days off that can change to you working a whole month strait I've done it will not work another hog farms ive been to 3 and there all the same
Pros
Piglets
Cons
Everything else
You want to smell like pigs and get the smell in your car forever ? This is the perfect job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NEDecember 1, 2017
Flexible hours but have to work every single day , they don’t pay over time except for Sunday or a Holiday if you work . Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Is always your fault not theirs
Pros
Flexibles hours
Cons
Not matter how many showers you take, you and your vehicle will smell like pig forever
Wouldnt work there again
Technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 15, 2017
The management all have to cover for each other they never do their job.if you have a problem with any of them or bring a problem to their attention they don’t do any thing about it. You never find Supervisors or anyone higher in building unless their supervisors or the vet shows up! You get wrote up without any verbal warnings.
Pros
Cons
Pay is good
I love the job
Production (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 30, 2017
I love my job but believe me when i say if your not anywhere close to the main office you are all but forgotten about. So don't ever plan on being recognized for any of the work you do. Don't expect to be included in any of the shirt or clothing orders or the free hats coffee mugs i mean absolute nothing. You just aren't in away important and they don't even offer away for anything out of the office to be available to you. Basically non existent until you doing something that reaches down the chain through them. Monthly meetings every month and for the people doing on site jobs wait who are you. Just some big shot that goes and tries to speak for you. Also the pay is "never talked about" but comes to find out you really aren't getting paid for all the stuff you do.
Pros
employees you work with on a day to day are amazing
Cons
you are just not important if you're not walking in to the major building hours away everyday
Last resort job.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Great Plains RegionJuly 27, 2017
For long term employees, we don't receive bonuses that are'nt worth a tank of gas. No room for advancement for women. Good luck getting a decent raise.
Pros
Great pigs, great barns to work in.
Cons
Management needs a broom becuase it's a mess.
Worst Hog Producer Out There
Contract Grower (Current Employee) –  Midwest, IAJune 2, 2017
Just ask around. This is one of the worst managed companies around. Mis-managed is an uderstatement. Overstocking pens, high death loss, high anti-biotic use, ect are all part of their game.

They expect the impossible from those around them, while expecting the little to nothing from themselves. The left hand doesn't only not know what the right hand is going to do, but the right hand is probably fighting against the left hand.

I cannot say enough about how poor of a reputation they have in Iowa and reputations are earned over years. They are burning bridges across generations. Stay away and you will be happy.
Pros
Have not committed any known murder
Cons
Too many to list
Respectful workers
Breeder (Former Employee) –  Arapahoe, NEMay 23, 2017
Was okay to work here, was not really into the closed enviroment smell was out of hand, no pay on gas hours of driving and trying to avoid deers. Not the best place to work ig.
Pros
Drove tractor
Cons
Too far, bad smell
Great family owned company!
Supply Chain Associate (Current Employee) –  Carlyle, ILMay 3, 2017
Every day is a new puzzle. With live animals and lots of moving pieces to manage, they always keep me on my toes! Every day presents new challenges and learning opportunities. My team members are great to work with and the leaders can’t be beat! They are always providing opportunities to develop and grow. If you are looking to succeed and advance this is a great place. They also truly care about their employees and that means a lot! The company is always striving to improve to ensure we are taking the best possible care of our animals and delivering the product our customers demand.
Working within the Maschhoffs for me has always been enjoyable and on going learning experience.
Facility & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 2, 2017
If you are wanting a place to call home with room for advancement in the swine industires than the Maschhoffs Family Foods is the place for you.
I am currently employeed with the Maschhoffs and have been for 12 years , They provide an employee with the tools and leadership guidance to succeed, if you choose to use what is provided advancement is unlimited.
Pros
Meet and interact with a lot of individuals, Great leadership team with unlimited knowledge to draw from
Cons
Excellent company to work for, people are #1!
Animal Care Giver (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILApril 28, 2017
I have learned a lot of new things, enjoy caring for animals, like everyone I work with. I wish I would have found this job years ago. I really appreciate all the focus put into my training.
Pros
Health insurance and other benifits are really good
Great Company
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Carlyle, ILApril 28, 2017
The Maschhoffs provides an environment for its employees to truly excel. There are numerous examples of employees who started in an hourly role and worked their way up to a management position. The company invests in developing their people and wants them to succeed. I'd highly recommend this company for individuals who are driven to succeed.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement; good compensation; family atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Competitive / Talented / Family-owned
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Carlyle, ILApril 28, 2017
There is never a dull moment around this place! Every day offers a new challenge and growth opportunity. Now that the company has broken out into smaller regions, they are re-establishing a culture of family-first and regaining that work-life balance. If you enjoy a competitive atmosphere, this is your company! They are always striving to be better to ensure we are taking the best care possible of our animals! The company is full of talented, innovative individuals who are always willing to expand the business acumen of others. It's also great that the owners are still involved and engage in small talk with everyone.......they truly care about their employees!
Pros
Endless opportunities to learn/Caring individuals/Competitive Atmosphere
Cons
Office Politics
Terrible company
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILApril 8, 2017
Maintenance director in pittsfield cares about only himself, is two faced, and will lie to you about anything. The GM in pittsfield only cares about meeting goals dosent care about employees. The ownera put up a front and pretend to care but they dont. Forget about your family when u work for the maschhoffs its them first and family whenever you can fit them in. Do not apply to this company you will regret it
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Maschhoffs. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight