The MENTOR Network Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
It could be the best place to work for.
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Pikesville, MDAugust 10, 2018
The Mentor Network could be the best place to work for if the managers would be fair in how they treat employees. There was too much promotion based on friendships and not on talent or skills.
Pros
Good Education Enrichment Program
Cons
Nepotism
Horrible
Direct Support (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 7, 2018
All about profit. Investigations, high turn over, rotating door, over worked staff. Stay away, $9 am hour, McDonalds pays more. People don’t last, anyone that walks in is hired.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Management, caseload
Just Don't
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Paden City, WVAugust 6, 2018
I worked for The Mentor Network for four months. In those four months I was demanded to work over 60 hours a week with almost no days off, the management is unprofessional and do not care for their staff. They have no hesitation to put you in a house caring for 3 individuals anywhere from 12-20 hours at a time. And chances are during that time you will be cleaning up messes from previous staff. The pay is extremely low for how high-stress this job is. This job is not a friendly work environment, it is not family-orientated, and it's down right slave work. Do not work for these people.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, poor management, low pay, little coverage for days off if you can get any.
Life Skill Trainer
Life Skills Trainer, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 6, 2018
I loved this job. I gained so much experiences and knowledge. The clients and staff, was amazing. It is a joy, to see the clients go home and move on to other placements
Fun workplace
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, MNAugust 6, 2018
I loved working with my clients. I also loved working with most of the people i worked with. It was just hard to work with the company when other workers didnt want to work
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Not enough pay
It's ok I guess...
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 5, 2018
When I first started here it was awesome I got a lot of hours and got along with management. Now management blames the shift I work for all the problems that go on in the house. We express any concerns about the persons being served we are told we are over reacting and nothing's wrong...
Pros
40 hrs Pto a year
Cons
Most houses are full of toxic staff members.
Client care not a priority.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 5, 2018
The culture of the program emphasized money, productivity, and billing far more than providing quality clinical and direct care. There is a large discrepancy between the pay for clinicians and for staff members providing direct care; this results in high turn-over and burnout for those spending the most time with clients. Client-centered interventions and interactions are not a priority.
Easy fun job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 4, 2018
Working with individuals with disabilities is not for everyone, including some of the current employees, but for those who don't mind assisting them with personal hygiene (with showers or changing diapers) the job is very easy throughout the day. The company is relaxed on taking time off of work, but you need your shifts to be covered or give time in advance. That's why they have "On-call" staff. At the group home I worked at, the individuals were friendly, but the staff was a pain in my butt to be honest. They didn't follow the rules, but forced new employees to do so, and were also flat out disrespectful. Staff members would tell me to shut up, make ignorant comments regarding other staff and the individuals, and would not make incident reports for every incident. The pay is the same as minimum wage, so the wage is low, compared to our job description, but it is way more rewarding than working in fast food or retail. HR department is friendly.
Pros
easy duties
Cons
wage, arrogant staff
they are nice, fun , sweet people to work with
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 2, 2018
productive and fun working place with great people. you have the option to go on trips with them, they meet your standers, they work with your daily schedule
Pros
down time
Cons
leaving
You get out what you put in
Started as a DSP, been promoted several times (Current Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 2, 2018
I have worked for the mentor network for over 10 years. Like any job in human services it has its ups and its downs. Compared to other similar jobs that are funded through Medicaid/state funding the Mentor Network(REM) in Wisconsin I feel is very competitive.

There is a large shortage for healthcare workers in this state, not just for REM so there are lots of opportunities for overtime and cross training. REM and the Mentor Network invest in their employees with training and education that goes above and beyond licensed requirements.

I have found that if you go in with a good attitude and hard work ethic that you will be rewarded. Employees who come in and have alternative motives or want to complain and gossip and who think they are owed something without working for it are the ones who don’t last.

The people we get the privilege of serving day in and day out have taught me more than I have ever taught them. If you want a job that pays you to have fun and hang out with some of the coolest people I have ever met that will teach you about PURE LOvE and JOY, that will challenge you to use critical thinking skills, and where no 2 days are ever the same...this may be the right fit for you
Pros
Flexibility with scheduling, laid back, not boring
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Good benifits but management was horrible
Program Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAAugust 1, 2018
There was constant blame and criticizing. A lot of turn over and unstable hours. Evn after qriting HR and callinf the compliance hotline, nothing had changed with management.
Benefits
Cons
Bad management
Complaints
Lead staff (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MAJuly 25, 2018
This place is the worst place to work,the place is ran by uneducated supervisors and manager,you work a lot of hours because of low staff count,the managers are very discriminating
i had great time working with mentor.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 25, 2018
i enjoy working with disabled patient. i enjoy cooking for my pateint. i love to talk to them. i love to play their activities. i jus want to make them happy so they can enjoy their life.
Not good
Cook/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAJuly 21, 2018
Started working as a cook ended as a second class citazen. Also it was a hard time trying to fight for a ruse. I was lied to about my pay as I was paid less others.
Pros
Some cool perks
Cons
Hostile
Pass
BHT (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJuly 19, 2018
The good part is assisting and caring for your clients daily. When you see them progress it is a great feeling. The downside is this is rare. This company isn't about wanting people to succeed and progress, it's about filling a bed no matter how dangerous it is for the house, the residents or the employees. The rules change daily and are different for each resident. The favoritism is rampant. The residents are fed garbage, when they are fed. The employees are NOT trained or prepared appropriately to handle what is to befall them. Employees are constantly left alone to supervise 5 and more residents when they are assured this will never happen. The concept is great, but the whole thing needs to be reworked from the top down. Superiors don't want to be bothered with issues going on in each house. All systems are antiquated and time wasting. You can't have all eyes on your residents and do paperwork NON stop at the same time. You are always told to do the work of co workers because they didn't have time or just didn't want to do it. (Back to favoritism) To wrap this up, just don't waste your time with this company. You will leave within a month or 2.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Too many for the space alloted
Fun
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 18, 2018
It is such a rewarding Job in working with clients. You are able to assist them to grow and reach higher levels. You get to be creative in teaching the client techniques that will help them grow.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
A stepping stone, not for longterm
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAJuly 17, 2018
I was with the MENTOR network for 3 years. Its a great resume builder, but it sure has its downfalls. There is never any "good job". There is only what we need to do to improve. Although I feel that they start off pay wise very well, There are 0 raises and the health insurance is so expensive you have to work a second job to survive. I have never worked for a company that reviews you annually, and treats hourly employees like they are salary. (no raises) what is there to look forward to? Management is well.
Pros
Management is well
Cons
Feels like a dead end job
very unorganized
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  fairview paJuly 17, 2018
Poor management, very high turnover of floor staff and administration, 3 program directors in less than 3 years! Poor training for direct care staff which leads to poor care. Poor nursing care, direct care staff do meds and treatments! No follow trough with anything that is promised. Benefits are HORRIBLE! high co pays for everything. They add expectations to your job description whenever they please.
nice people
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 16, 2018
nice people, lots of good experience, lots of opportunity, good training, lots of variety, good learning experience, fun times, very busy office, very nice desk.
No work /life bslance
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJuly 13, 2018
They will work you in to the ground. On call constantly and no compensation for your time. Line staff are just a warm body to fill in a spot. There trainings are a joke. They take people who are violent that beat staff and clients up. It's all about making a profit.
Pros
Great staff and clients.
Cons
Low pay and you dont have any work/life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The MENTOR Network. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight