The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Metropolitan Museum of Art Employee Reviews

Ok Employer
You will not go wrong on the benefits, all the benefits, but salary not good, they could pay more; $20.00-$22.00 per hours following the recent minimum wages. Security guard are there for 22 years yet making just $24, $26 per hours; not adjustment in union bargains..etc..some shifts are good as some areas
It was a challenge to find interesting objects that leand themselves to merchandise.
I loved my time @ the Met. It was a great place to work and take family and friends to visit. I would not change a thing during my time at the museum.
Great coworkers
Awesome to see the inside workings of the museum with opportunities to learn about each department. Visitor Services department was constantly in flux, causing confusion.
Fine as a stepping stone
I was so excited to work for the MET; thought it would lead to bigger opportunities but people really look down on this department. Managers are terrible
Toxic work environment, being a union member was the only benefit
I worked for the Met in a unionized security role. The job itself of helping visitors and making sure the artwork was safe was simple enough, but the micromanaging from supervisors, the prolonged standing, the cruel and bullish management approach all paired with meager pay makes the environment and work life balance really unsustainable for anyone that values their physical and mental health. The only positive elements of working there came from paying union dues to AFSCME DC 37 (annual leave, sick days, cost of living adjustments for inflation, health insurance, pension, etc), which upper management and all the non-union staff resent and take every opportunity to diminish and undercut. If not for the union, working there is not worth all of the disrespect and the mental games they play with people.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Security personnel are criticized by all other departments - scapegoats
I work as a Security officer for 3 years, and did not enjoy much beyond the beautiful art - some of the most amazing art in the world.

Supervision is all about criticizing and putting down those below them.

Management is worse. They more or less HATE the floor personnel.

We were a necessary Evil - required for insurance reasons.

Not respected at all for the efforts made to to the job correctly,

unless you are a chosen favorite child, usually through spying on fellow employees to report minor / poor behavior. Very back stabbing environment.

The "LIFE-ERS" are the dangerous ones; poorly educated embedded for 20+ years, and "play" all day at undermining the newer employees.

I am highly educated and experienced in management and supervision; was difficult to participate in this destructive culture......needed to pay the bills.
Pros
Most beautiful art I've ever seen.
Cons
Work hours, and general culture....very stressful, destructive to individuals
Job Security
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a good company to work for should you be willing to stay with the company long term,there are many different departments with in the museum to transfer within should you choose to do so.
Pros
There's many diffrent departments to transfer to.
Cons
You'll need education and exprience in thoes fields.
If you love going there, you love working there.
The metropolitan is a specialized world for people who truly love art and/or who truly love education.

You go into it for the love, not for the money.

But think about who you’re interacting with every day if you have a public-facing position: literally the entire world. It’s wonderful.
Pretty good place to work
The culture and institutional goals have been shifting with new leadership.
There can be high turnover, but many people stay for years and years.

Great retirement matching.
Bad place
Security Management is very very bad and no professional at all, but if you are related to someone they are very nice with you!
Human resources even worse.

they hire anybody with no degree, no education about art, and very rude people.

I have worked there and was miserable.

You can't use your holidays for the first 2 years and after this 2 years you can only take your vacation time in the month that they give to you (always January or february)

It's not a security job, but just a very stressful customer service.

Go to work there only if you like look at the art,

I do not recommend it, in fact a ran away from there!
Benefits
Cons
low pay
Best Place to work
One of my best employer. Very friendly work environment. Working at Met was a very good experience which is helped me find better opportunities. I’m pretty sure it will help me in future as well.
Pros
Working at Met means you get to see one of the famous art museum in the world every week .
Cons
Hard to get a full time position
Working at the Met.
Working at the Met really isn't hard as long as you don't get involved with office politics. Just go to work. Very interesting if you love history and art.
Pros
Benefits include pension, medical and DC37.
Cons
None.
Be aware
Although the Met is a visual paradise surrounding your self with masterpieces from all over the world. Management executive board and share holders are all out for one thing to line there pockets
President give them selves raises and all others must settle for a small percentage increase yearly. Departments treat other departments as if there superior than yours people won’t say hello if your not from the same department. Very segregated
educationally friendly environment
people are friendly, glad to have you there, and a great learning experience, and curators are more than happy to explain all aspects of their work.
Work Enviorment
The environment is very relaxed and good. As a freelance worker it is more relaxed because the jobs are somewhat simpler. Everyone is usually separated into groups and sent to cover different areas.
I love being around the art. Beautiful. But increasing busy, which means less able to enjoy and absorb it.
I have learned a great deal about art and world cultures while working at the Met. I enjoy my job, but would prefer a calmer environment with a more consistent schedule.
Great Job
It’s adventure , helpful people , employees should learning something new while working should l.

I’m very proud to get this job , appreciate to indeed app.
Goods and Bads
As an IT and Art Major, this jobs has some good and bads. But overall, despite low pay, you get good benefits, OT, and its very lively. As a person who loves to talk to people, its always good to meet folks from around the world. Seeing different cultures, its almost like you could sing "Kumbaya".
Pros
2 Half Hour Breaks, 1 45min Break, You learn history for all corners of the world, Very Friendly Staff (Its usually within your department), Pay was so-so but worth it, Benefits
Cons
Major Miscommunication (Keeps your Eyes Peeled and Ears Open*, People...yes...People will touch things and adly some will be very rude, Standing Up All Day
Low salary they hire anybody off the streets with no degree no education
No advancement unless your related to someone. You have to stand all day without sitting down with little to no respect from management or staff. Rude visitors and your superiors do not back you up in hostile situations. It’s not not real security you just give directions and check visitors coats and bags without any tips.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Low salary, long periods of standing, no room for advancement
Do not work here
Its only possible to work and advance at The Met if you are a passing cyst white male. Impossible to move up and very elitist. The culture is stuck up and there is low pay. Little to no benefits while you slave away with no rewards. Everyone high up is white and there is a very conservative culture. If you are creative do not go here, they will suck your soul and leave you dry.
Pros
Free museum admission to other museums.
Cons
Everything.
The Met
The Work environment of the Met was incredible. The entire Islamic art department was committed to learning and creating a space for preserving and studying art and culture.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight