The Metropolitan Museum of Art Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
To be part of the fulfillment of the mission of the Met is wonderful
Member and Visitor Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2018
To assist anyone who comes to visit the Met and to prepare them all for an exceptional experience exploring the collection, the exhibitions and the programs is a great joy and pleasure for me. I am happy to work there.
Pros
Supportive, collegial team environment
Cons
Non-profit salaries can be lower than expenses, making it a good p-t job.
All fine
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2018
Digitized the Arms and Armor department’s files; created an easily accessible record of historical items. Learned organizational methods for a museum department.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Unpaid
the most enjoyable part of the job
Financial Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
Everything in the job is enjoyable. The managers to the co-workers all are very friendly and professional individuals. Work is split accordingly to that one is able to finish on time accordingly.
Pros
Relaxing and educational
Cons
A lot of art
Great internship
Development Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2018
The internship program at the Met was a great and unique opportunity to interact with wonderful people in the field. It was a great work environment with welcoming and friendly staff.
Was a great place to work
Senior Procurement Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. I was able to work on various construction projects at the Met, building and creating new office spaces for departments within. Working with the entire staff of 2500 employees I built great relationships wth most everyone. I enjoyed going to work every day. My boss of 17 1/2 years was great and his staff would do anything for him. He retired and the new boss didn't know how to communicate with people or make decisions.
Pros
Benfits were great and 5 weeks vacation
Cons
The new supervisor is the only con but a very huge con.
Great place to work. Wish there were a higher pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2018
Great place to work. Wish it was a higher pay. They cut hours down right after the holidays. You go from 6 days to 4 days and then have to pick up shifts up until better weather comes. Discounts are amazing and free admission to other museums.
Overall amazing
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10028January 10, 2018
Amazing work experience. It was among one of my first jobs and it was really what I needed to start my career in the art world. The atmosphere at the museum is welcoming and provides different avenues for personal and professional growth.
Pros
Discount at shops and free admission to other museums
Cons
I don’t recall there being any
Delusional Hiring
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2017
>>> To and for the first reviewer about the Security Department - the irony is they hire as if they are the Secret Service or CIA. They seek the highest level of experience and skills in exchange for near poverty level pay. Very typical of Museums and the Security field in general. They think they are going to get retired FBI Agents for close to minimum wage. Definitely a delusional bunch.
Surrounded by arts and different culture. would be perfect for person seeking for diversity.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2017
It is very interesting place to work and have a lot of different people surrounded by you. Sometimes it can be tiring since its too much of difference but most of the time very interesting. Deff for open minded person.
Horrendous security department.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
Security Management is horrendous, not qualified in security. Mostly art majors as managers, not professional. Human Resources as well, don’t trust any of these departments.
Benefits
Typical day busy, balance of management & staff, stressful during peak seasons. Staff turnover sometimes overwhelming. Concern for job security.
Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2017
Busy. Mastered data entry account payable/receivables. Liaison for vendors. Inventory specialist. Workplace balanced. Heavy lifting. Great Coworkers.
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation + 12 sick days annually
Cons
Heavy lifting
Great museum in need of cultural improvement
Collections Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
A world-class museum that as of this writing is battling a crisis of culture. Management is struggling to work well with junior staff, who remain underpaid and underutilized. A vacancy at the top of the executive level has unknown consequences on the future of the institution.
Intern
Merchandising & Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2017
analyzed financial trends of the organization's merchandises. Assisted the senior vice president in creating presentations that involved finance and trends
Good people to work with
Usher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
the hours were short and I got called in from time to time. not too many hours or sometimes none at all. learning new skills are always a pleasure....
Pros
free shows
Cons
spotty pay
Culture Change/New Management
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
During my time there you have great people that work there and believe in the mission of the MET. Unfortunately under new management there was a huge amount of layoffs of many great staff which created a different tone and work environment.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Favoritism of employees
It's going to be 5 years before they dig out of the hole they're in.
Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2017
Perpetually too many programs to be accomplished with the number of current staff. The entire HR department has quit twice over in the past few years.
cool
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
It is what you make it. If you like art you will love the environment. It's a job as any other job. It is what you make it. Recommended to people interested in art.
Professional job culture and peaceful environmnet
Senior Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2017
Working at the MET Cloisters was an interesting and helpful experience. It helped me grow professionally as well as it awoke in me the interest for arts. The environment is one of the best ones to work in. Everybody is respected for what they do and is motivated to develop skills even more.
Getting promoted is not easy, but with hard work and passion it might happen. My job didn't not really have any difficulties, so it took me a little while to learn every task and to perform it efficiently.
Exchanging opinions with my coworkers on how to get better was the best part of my job.
Pros
free entries
Cons
expensive food even for the employees, too hard to hit the bonus set by the department of sales
A supportive and friendly environment.
Senior Head Usher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2017
I have worked at The Metropolitan Museum of Art for almost 10 years. These 10 years have been a rewarding and enriching experience both professionally and personally. The workplace culture is supportive and teamwork is highly valued. On a typical day, I arrive at the venue and meet with the Front House Manager to discuss the specifics for the event taking place. I also work closely with the technical team and box office staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is opening the house, closing the house and knowing I did my personal best so audiences could have a positive, enjoyable experience. I personally enjoy greeting and meeting new audience members as well as loyal guest who attend events on a consistent basis. The most difficult part is knowing not everyone will be content with the experience.
Pros
Training Classes for personal and professional advancement.
Nice colleagues
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2017
Working at the Met was fun. The advantages of having morning meetings with exhibition designers and curators were the highlight of my day. My colleagues were nice and so was management.