The National Academies Employee Reviews

Horrible culture
Senior Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2018
Top heavy, Underpaid and unappreciated support staff
Office vs cubicle favorism, Work at home is for uppers and favored, Rules change with Mo notice. Work of others pushed to support staff especially financial.
Racial tension is ignored
Pros
Sodexho, support staff connections, Hotel events😊
Cons
everything else, sneaky HR, incompetent study directors and upper management
goood place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJanuary 18, 2018
working for the academy was a good experience for me. I got a chance to learn a lot. I really like the director really like my supervisor and my coworkers.
Great Place to workin the WDC area
Procurement Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2017
Tremendous insight into how grants and services contracting work in furthering objective advice to US Government and some limited state and educational organizations on science, engineering health and infrastructure improvement.
Benefits are great
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2017
I have worked here at the National Academies for 8 years. It is very nice and laid back and I have an awesome boss. The enjoy every aspect of my job here at the National Academies.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Pay does not commensurate with experience
A formerly-fine institution that has hit hard times
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 17, 2014
The National Academy of Sciences has built its cachet around Washington, D.C. on its federal charter from 150 years ago.

Regrettably, its core values of collegiality, tolerance, and respect have not been followed, especially when it comes to rewarding employees. Salaries have been choked at a 1 to 2 percent raise per year, even while some high-level officers are in the six figures.

There is also an organizational memory problem. Since the 2013 federal sequestration, the Academy has lopped off hundreds of staff members representing thousands of years of experience. If these employees are replace, they have had to learn all over again how to do simple things needed to do their jobs, such as booking meeting space or reimbursing travel.

Organizations needing research done on certain topics have found it much easier, less bureaucratic, and less expensive to go elsewhere -- to the National Institutes of Health, the Department of State, Brookings, the National Academy of Education, and even private think tanks run by former NAS employees.

I worry for NAS and its future.
Pros
Cafeteria, transit benefits, in-house gym, weekend downtown parking
Cons
Compartmentalization, low pay in comparison to similar orgs, lack of advancement potential
Learning Experience
Contract Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2014
I like working for the National Academies because of the educational environment which motivates you to continue learining through work experience and/or course work.
Pros
contribution toward health and dental benifits
Nice place to work
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2014
A typical day involved Quality testing of Lotus Notes and Domino applications developed in-house. Notes Administration of servers, when backing up Notes administrators. I learned about various applications developed using Lotus Notes. Co workers were ok. The hardest part of my job was writing up Quality testing results as there were a lot of egos involved. The most enjoyable part of my job was coaching and mentoring the developers.
Pros
A great Lotus Notes team
Cons
work overload
Productive, extensive data entry, very deatailed, customer service,
Accounting/Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2013
I started my career at The National Academies 12/04 at an entry Level position entering in travel expenses, within 6 months I moved up to auditing and keying and kept moving up ladder until I was processing cash advances, wires reconciling company's Diners card, amongst a host of other job responsibilities.

My coworkers and I were very close nit and worked well with one another and were able to work on task and complete it in a timely manner if it was a project that we all had to work on. My supervisor was very helpful throughout my career and always encouraged me to move further up.

They wasn't a hard part of the Job because I knew my job very well and loved doing it. The National Academies has taught me great customer service skills, provided me with different accounting courses and molded me into a Team Leader.
Pros
working with a great staff
Cons
High Turnover
Exellent Organization for Professional Growth Experience
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2013
Working at the National Academies includes many facets. When working on a study, my day-to-day responsibilities run the gamut from attending study committee meetings, briefing the committee about research options available, running WebEx meetings for the committee, providing research support to the committee for data gathering, data analysis, contacting the study sponsor regarding study materials, requesting copyright permissions for materials for a report, report editing, and ensuring that the study is meeting all FACA requirements by maintaining the required information.

During my time at the National Academies, I have gained invaluable experience with policy research and the study publication process. Our office is one that supports the professional growth of all members by supporting our professional interests.

The hardest part of the job can be all of the travel that may be required. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my name included in the completed and published report, knowing all the effort that went into making the report a completed project.
Pros
Wonderful location and being able to meet senior people in various fields
Cons
The amount of travel that is sometimes required
productive and informative
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2013
work independently with limited instruction from supervisor
learned to take control over projects that fell through the cracks
management sucked - no funds raised to keep lucrative and dependable staff
Excellent Company!
Program Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2012
The National Academies is a wonderful company! The most enjoyable part of my job was the opportunity to fine-tune my meeting planning skills. I had the pleasure to work with wonderful supervisors! In addition, the Academies is great at recognizing employees for their work! And the benefits are great!
Pros
wonderful benefits
Non-partisan research
Editorial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2012
It's great to work for a non-partisan organization in the DC area.
Pros
great location
Cons
cold