The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews

Tnc
Maintenance Worker | LEAF (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAFebruary 3, 2019
Such a great experience. Once in a lifetime, I grew so much as a person and was able to face my fears. Challenges you to be a bigger person and be more open minded.
Mis-management
Restoration Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ILJanuary 25, 2019
I worked there for 11 years and loved my job and felt that it was making a difference. I worked hard, held volunteer work days, was very competent and dedicated to my work, working 6 days a week. The manager/supervisor never came out to the field to see mine or other's work, sat in an office goofing off on the computer or lying on a couch reading. And yet he was supposed to be supervising, writing evaluations about our work, participating in field work. Nope. In 2017 they hired another lazy bum who, though he at least was outside, wandered around all day looking at the pretty flowers while others did the field work. We'd see him walking around, by himself when he was supposed to be with, and supervising seasonal staff. His supervisor even joked about this guy smoking dope. And the answer we got from our supervisor, "it doesn't matter that we take money for work that doesn't get done, no one ever checks". Thus began the decline of the preserves. Unfortunately our complaints fell on deaf ears so we complained to our supervisor's manager, who also did nothing. In fact, they promoted the wanderer! Apparently he brown-nosed the right people while I was out working in the field. The workplace culture was one of mistrust, mismanagement, complacency, and no integrity. The morale was at an all-time low when I finally couldn't take any more. I had to walk away from a job I loved because The Nature Conservancy does not care about conservation. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make because I honestly cared about the preserves. They only care about money and image.
Benefits
Cons
Mismanagement
Productive ,fun work place, friendly environment
Employer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
Learned so many great things from mentors and friends,also taught me life lessons. If I could work with them again I would without hesitation. My experience with the Nature Conservancy was something to remember.
Great Learning Environment, Wonderful People
Great Salt Pond GLOBE Intern (Former Employee) –  New Shoreham, RIJanuary 12, 2019
I greatly enjoyed my time at the Nature Conservancy. I met people truly passionate about the environment and had the opportunity to work with them everyday. It was an unforgettable experience that I cherish!
Pros
Provided Housing
Amazing work, amazing co-workers
Regional Connectivity Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, WIJanuary 3, 2019
The work TNC does is varied, so there's not really a "typical day." However, every day brings something new and exciting. The people who work here are all amazing and great to work with. Most roles offer advancement opportunities, but some areas (mainly science-focused) have a big gap in opportunities for entry level employees to move up to a mid-level position.
Saving the Planet? Killing the Employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 1, 2018
Employees work long hours without life work balance
Management is cliquish and withholding
They don't walk the talk
Weak state director without rudder
Hardest part of the job is moving from planning to action
There are some nice, committed people there
Good
Trips Coordinator/Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 16, 2018
Great opportunity to learn about internal dynamics of large conservation organizations; great international program to contribute to partner organizations in Chiapas, Mexico, Belize and Yucatan.
Pros
Huge support network
Cons
Very corporate
TNC offered a number of training workshops
Associate Director of Philanthropy (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 5, 2018
It was challenging working in a remote office. My manager at the time tried to make our team cohesive but at times it was difficult to stay up to speed on progress, new programs, and initiatives.
Must be self-starter.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COOctober 10, 2018
The Nature Conservancy is a great non-profit organization. I was delighted to work there, and with my boss. It was a very collaborative atmosphere, being a regional headquarters. There was a lot of communication within our 8 state region. Unfortunately, I started working there just as the great recession of 2008 began to take hold. As donations to the total organization dwindled, downsizing took place. Both my boss and I were laid off, and our region was combined into a larger western region.
Pros
great salary
Cons
non-profit, subject to funding ups and downs
Relaxing and helpful Environment to work in
Forest Conservation and Stewardship Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 2, 2018
While working an internship with The Nature Conservancy, I traveled to different preserves for stewardship duties. I also helped collect data on a few different ongiong forest projects and studies. I was able to develop skills and techniques related to stewardship and preserve management.
Good job
Freshwater Monitoring Technician (Current Employee) –  Chester, NJAugust 29, 2018
Good job. Lots of interesting people as well as work life balance. Was a good experience. May do again. I hope others will find this review helpful. Domo Arrigato!
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Lunch
Leader in not-for-profit conservation
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 26, 2018
TNC is a leader in not-for-profit conservation. It is comprised of intelligent, passionate people who genuinely want to make a positive change in the world. TNC is currently migrating away from small on-the-ground projects to large scale collaborative project to address large scale issues.
Pros
Work with intelligent, dedicated, conservation leaders
Cons
highly competitive
Great Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 14, 2018
The Nature Conservancy offer a wide amount of jobs for Youth who love nature. The program LEAF is one of the many interships that youth can do. Interns are grouped together in a college-dorm like enviroment where everything is put on a budget. Interns would spend their budget on basic and depending on how many interns/ mentors are in the team the higher the budget is. I had a team of 5 interns (including myself) and 2 mentors with a budget of about 6000$.
Pros
Traveling to new Places
Cons
Risk of getting sick
Great organization
Preserve Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Celeste, TXJuly 17, 2018
The Nature Conservancy is a great organization with a valued mission. They are world-class is their conservation efforts and everyone I have met that is involved loves their work.
Many interesting and eye-opening experiences into many different, biologically diverse areas of Texas
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Medina, TXJune 26, 2018
During my time at The Nature Conservancy, I advanced my previous knowledge of the ecology, ecosystems, and biology of Texas and got the chance to explore many different areas throughout Texas. Along with the exploration and discovery aspect of this internship, I also expanded my knowledge in conservation efforts, conservation easement agreements, etc. It was helpful to have a practical application of the skills and ideas I experienced in my classes at Texas A&M University.
Pros
Fast-paced, multifaceted work, meaningful experiences, experience
Cons
None to speak off other than the extreme heat (but it is a risk in Texas' environments)
Work Experience
LEAF Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA 02111May 29, 2018
Great site to work. Working at the company gave me a lot of hands on experience about working with different people in order to achieve a common goal.
Good opportunities for advancement
Finance & Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Keene Valley, NYApril 30, 2018
Including several professional development opportunities. Some work/life balance issues (long hours, expectation to be available at all times) but overall a great organization.
Pros
Benefits, Remote Working
Cons
Too much time spent in meetings vs. getting work done
Very collaborative environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 23, 2018
Working at The Nature Conservancy was a unique experience, and was my first experience as a legal assistant in the field of real estate. I moved on basically because the pay was not enough to live on.
Pros
opportunities, and education
Cons
the salary was too low
Good mission, inconsistent management
Communications Director (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 15, 2018
I was excited to work at TNC and felt I had a lot to contribute. After a year the marketing department was cleaned out nationwide. Since leaving it seems like an overhaul happens frequently. Many have been through it.
Pros
Mission
Cons
TNC works hard to protect endangered species and landscapes. Their accomplishments are amazing.
Donor Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 5, 2018
The staff is dedicated and well educated with a passion for the mission. Every day one can learn more about conservation in this environment. The hardest part of the job was securing appointments with potential major donors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nature Conservancy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight