The Nature Conservancy

tncconservationnaturepreservemissionorganizationinternshipdifference

Caring Management

Featured review

The Nature Conservancy selected this as a representative review
The Senior Management team is dedicated to the mission objectives and models the behavior and values of the organization to employees and contractors. Experienced staff are trusted advisors in delivering value for the organization.

Pros

Culture of Diversity and Inclusion

June 5, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're pleased to hear that you feel we are reaching above and beyond when it comes to our commitment to living our values and diversity. TNC is rooted in our mission and guided by our values. Thank you for your feedback!

Productive and a great place to grow and learn

Lots of work outside and opportunities to learn and challenge yourself. Everyday was something different and the full time employees were patient and helpful in helping you to grow and try new things.

The Nature Conservancy insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Didn’t care

Felt like the supervisors didn’t care about me. As long I got the work done that’s all that mattered to them. Can only speak for Cushing office. I’m sure other branches are much better

Intern. Very fun experience

Summer internship very fun and exciting. You get to live in another state and meet new people. Hopefully your mentor is a good one. Very physically tiring tho.

Interesting work

The Nature Conservancy was a good place to work before they outsourced our jobs. I can’t really blame them for that, as it was being done by a lot of companies at the time. The company overall is focused on their conservation efforts and not technology at the time, as it should be,

The most respectful and flexible employer

I absolutely LOVE my job at TNC. I have been here 9 months and have met the most respectful people in a work setting than I've ever encountered. Everyone is willing to assist and make sure you are comfortable. They are extremely accommodating to your life/schedule. Pay is also pretty good.

Great place to work and an awesome goal

The nature conservancy is an amazing place to work with endless opportunity to learn. The missions and goals of the organization are noble and so are the people who execute them

Good intentions, poor execution

Overall the organization had great intentions. However, mission drift was a constant fact of life, and securing funding often received higher priority than accomplishing the stated mission. The organization was also so attuned (read: terrified) of negative publicity that risk-aversion crippled the ability to do innovative work. And finally, the organization completely ignored evidence that was contrary to their established messaging. This is unacceptable for an organization that promotes itself as being science-based, and was my eventual reason for leaving the organization.

Pros

smart people, not afraid to think big

Cons

let the fundraising messaging outrun the science

September 14, 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we take every comment seriously to make internal changes to improve. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced working at TNC. How we work is just as important to us as our mission work at TNC. We would like to hear more about your experience and find ways to improve in these areas. Please contact us at recruiting@tnc.org .

An incredible experience

Working for TNC at Palmyra Atoll has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It’s a seasonal position due to the remote and I’m isolated location. I hope to return every year.

A company that does some of the highest quality conservation and habitat work on Earth!

I completed 2 internships with TNC and was never prouder or more satisfied with the work and projects that I got to be a part of. If you have a passion for habitat restoration and natural resource management, a position at TNC is right for you. Conservation work is not easy but it is incredibly meaningful.

Pros

Incredibly meaningful work, brilliant natural resource specialists, strong mentorship/leadership, fantastic learning opportunities about the natural world

Cons

Physical labor in occasionally challenging weather conditions, work often limited by grant funding

September 14, 2022
Thank you for your review. We’re so happy to hear that your internships were impactful and enjoyable. We believe that learning is smart conservation and appreciate the value you see in our learning opportunities. If you have any further feedback to share about your internship experience, please email us at recruiting@tnc.org.

Enjoyable, stimulating

Highly recommended. Lots of opportunity to move around. Lots of great colleagues. A lot to learn. Plenty of travel. Very mission driven colleagues and culture.

April 14, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at TNC. We appreciate the value you saw in our professional development opportunities. We're happy to hear that you had a supportive team and were able to learn and grow in your career. We appreciate your feedback.

Excellent reputation top notch board members Very high level of experienced and happy employees

I was in DEVELOPMENT SO THERE WAS NO “typical day” I liked the freedom, the variety of duties and the compensation was great for a non for profit I felt I was giving back to society while doing my job I was proud to say I worked for them

Pros

Outdoors activities with clients, compensation, vacation time

Cons

Some management was poor and should have Ben fired

April 14, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience working at TNC. We're so glad to hear that your work was impactful and that you enjoyed working here. We would like to hear more about your experience with management and find ways to improve. Please feel free to contact us at recruiting@tnc.org.

Great place to work!

Love my job and the people I have the privilege of working alongside! The current emphasis on open transparency and diversity within the company is encouraging.

Pros

Great benefits and schedule flexibility

April 14, 2022
Thank you for your review. We're so happy to hear that our enjoying your experience at TNC. We appreciate the value you see in our commitment to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We're dedicated to creating a positive and supportive work environment. We appreciate your feedback!

Seasonal crew- good summer job, great for those trying to get their foot in the door in restoration

I worked as a seasonal technician. Herbaceous weed season (May-July) involves a lot of backpack spraying. Native seed collection starts in May and ends in November- some seeds are collected by the barrel and others by delicately pinching them into a small brown paper bag. There's also fence fixing, driving some vehicles, and odd tasks here and there. Decent pay, breaks, and lunch. PTO builds up as soon as you start based on how many hours you put in.

August 28, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your day to day work and experience at TNC. Thank you for your efforts towards our mission!

Loved showing up to work and my team, but hard to stay due to low compensation.

TNC is really a fantastic organization. I loved showing up to work everyday knowing I was actually making a difference. I had a great supervisor who cared about my professional development, and gave me plenty of flexibility in where I wanted to be located in the state, as well as my hours in office so I could avoid traffic. I was able to work from home 2 days a week. However, the pay was 20-40% less than what similar positions in government or private sector pay. This is common for environmental non-profit sector but can really get irritating over the years. Also TNC has a 35 hour work week, this sounds great for work/life balance, but if you are hourly, it means you might be making more per hour, but over the year, you're making 12% less than if you has a 40 work week. Great organization, very supportive, has room for you to grow. However, I decided to leave for a different mission-based job so I could make more to support my family.

Pros

flexibility, great mission, professional development

Cons

Low pay

August 28, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed working with a supportive team and making a difference! TNC is committed to carrying out our work with transparency and sharing our global compensation structure with employees. Annually, our Benefits Departments reviews market data to ensure compensation is competitive and equitable. We appreciate and will share your input. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Great place for the committed

It's a culture of commitment to nature and biodiversity - great people, innovation - along with that sometimes comes long hours, but usually plenty of fun.

Pros

smart, committed peopple

Cons

a bit of a blame game mgmt culture

June 12, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're pleased to know you enjoyed your experience working at TNC! Creating a culture that inspires managerial excellence is very important to us as an organization. We are continuing to providing more tools, support and training to achieve this. If you have any further feedback to share, please contact us at recruiting@tnc. org.

Best intentions, etc.

Currently catching up after lagging behind other conservation orgs with respect to climate work. Still a behemoth in the conservation world.

Pros

Excellent onboarding

June 5, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We're so happy to hear you had a positive onboarding experience as that is very important to us as an organization. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at recruiting@tnc.org.

Great place to work, but little accountability for management

Great pay and fantastic benefits. Overall the culture and people are supportive and create a good environment. Only downside was constant issues with leadership, from the global board and CEO down to specific team directors at the state level, managers were not held accountable when issues were brought forth. This became a big problem with the team I was on and lead to 4 people quitting due to issues with the team director.

Pros

Pay and benefits, flexible work schedules

Cons

Stressful environment and poor management

March 3, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you felt supported in the workplace but disheartened to hear about your experience with leadership. Creating a culture that inspires managerial excellence is very important to us as an organization. We are providing more tools, support, and training to achieve this. TNC is committed to carrying out our work with accountability. We’d like to hear more about your experience and how we can improve. Please contact us at recruiting@tnc.org

Not a place for all to advance, especially in HR

Certain groups of people need to get it right 20 times to hopefully be recognize 1 time. Other groups don't need to get it right, but they will get extra anyway.

Pros

Ability to work remote

Cons

Advancement is only meant for one race

December 22, 2020
Thank you taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that this was your experience. TNC is always working to improve the employee experience as they are the heart of our work. We would like to hear more about your experience and ways to improve. Please contact us at recruiting@tnc.org.

Very flexible work/life balance, not great diverse work culture

TNC is a great cause, but i think they lost their way on their mission and although they say they are all about diversity in the work place, it is still your typical good ole boys club.

Pros

flexible work schedule and great work/life balance

Cons

not a great culture to work in

September 3, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive work environment and it saddens me to hear this. We would like to hear more about your experience. Please contact me at recruiting@tnc.org so we can discuss ways to improve.

Safe work environment

They company is very mindful of everyone. They believe in a work, life balance. The pay and benefits are very fair. I would recommend this company to anyone.

June 29, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy working at TNC and recommend us!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nature Conservancy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare The Nature Conservancy with

• Nonprofit & NGO
  • The Nature Conservancy
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?