The New School Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
love the new school
Director of Payroll and HR Systems (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
having worked at this institution for 12 year, I did a lot of my growing up there. I was provided with mentoring and support and advanced mt career forward.
NSSR was a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
People who work here are so helpful and intelligent. Seriously, I was surrounded by professors and people with great respect for both NYC and higher education.
Good Job, stressful at times
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
Great job for communications, management, computer development skills, and nice to work for the education system.
At times, internal politics and hostile work scenarios would rise. However, most of the colleagues were nice and work was enjoyable.
Pros
Decent pay, school benefits and discounts
Cons
internal politics and hostility
Laid back job, great environment to develop service skills
Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
As an intern/work study assistant, I really enjoyed my time here. It fulfilled the needs I had as a student at the time and allowed me to acquire more people, management, and service skills.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
not enough compensation for longevity
It was an internship....
SOCIAL MEDIA AND SUSTAINABILTY INTERN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2018
It was an internship, so it was a fun, low expectation way to make money while I got my undergrad. I mostly did data entry and encouraged other students to stay engaged in the campus community.
Great enviornment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 1, 2018
Assisting the teacher of the class in anything. Help keep behavior problems to a minimum. Feeding the children, reading to them, helping put them to sleep. Help plan out social development activities, mainly supervising. Keeping a clean and safe environment for the children. I learned how to properly take care of children on a daily basis.
Pros
Free lunch
Teaching Fellow
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 21, 2018
I have no complaints whatsoever as a student or as a TA/TF. I loved working with my faculty and learning from them. The school is very efficient in all of its paperwork as well.
Pros
Great Faculty
Cons
NY is expensive, but what are you going to do?
Toxic environment
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2018
Not the progressive institution they claim to be. A very, small group of employees are favored, the rest are grossly overworked. Not enough resources or regard for students. Very disappointing.
Busy and high paced workplace.
Senior Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2018
An uplifting learning experience with motivated staff,
compatible diversed ethnicities.

Partaking in the daily course preparation with enthusiastic work
crew abled us to present well coordinated breakfast, lunch and dinner menus, for both regular and vegan, meeting dietary standards.

Personal gratification experience was seeing school students
and staff enjoying the selected menus.
Pros
free lunch, overtime availability
Cons
Hotel accommodations during severe weather
Asst. Professor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2018
The New School has served to give me an opportunity to work in the higher education space for more than 15 years. I have met many very interesting students and educators and have had a chance to participate in developing smart pedagogy as part of a team of instructors building the media management program.
Pros
Relaxed and professional atmosphere
Cons
Little management oversight and direction

Want to know more about The New School?

Ask a question
Friendly enviorment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2018
Very laid back friendly environment, great management, offered overtime hours sometimes (optional). Shifts are usually 9 AM - 5 PM. If you decide to do overtime shifts it can sometimes be till 6 pm or 7 pm and Saturdays from 9AM till 3PM or 4PM. The job is mostly Data-entry work, some scanning involved as well. You must be able to sit at your desk all day entering data information. You deal with transcripts, recommendation letters, essays and you also link different documents into the system (Banner and perceptive). The pay was $14.35 an hour. Not so high but data entry is not much of a brain thinker, so I believe it's fair. You get paid bi-weekly.
Pros
Office always has a lot of snacks
Cons
Temporary job only for busy season. No chance of getting hired
Lack of direction
Programming (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
Provided little to no guidance or direction on work tasks. Managers constantly argued with little to no agreement on project deliverables, timeframe, division of project tasks etc..
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Low pay, unorganized management
Surrounded by interesting people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
If you enjoy working in an atmosphere of higher education, The New School is a great place to work. Your colleagues will be smart and patient and the interactions with students and professors can be a great inspiration.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 7, 2018
Excellent place to work. Great management. Great learning experience. Wonderful staff and faculty. Everyone professional and respectful. Fun place to work.
Good place to work however salary and advancement is hard to comeby
Manager Gift Accounting (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10003January 1, 2018
I love working for the New School however, I have been working there for 10 years and I am not able to move up cause of the lack of advancement in my position
Accounting Clerk II
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 24, 2017
Accounting Clerk II
Supervised and trained all cashiers in the processing of students’ accounts. Responsible for contacting students regarding their student loan checks. Verified that payments were allocated to the correct student account. Processed student loans and refunded excess funds to the corresponding students within the mandatory time
frame. Assisted the Loan Coordinator with the in-school deferments. Assisted in the preparation of monthly and quarterly bills. Also prepared bank reconciliations.
Friendly staff and students.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 12, 2017
Staff and students always friendly and respectful. Student centered learning with many opportunities for students to learn and explore. Supportive staff and teachers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pay
Strong management & collegial support.
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  85 Fifth Ave, NYCDecember 10, 2017
It is gratifying to work with students and in a collegial environment with a psychiatrist and psychotherapists. I find a can be autonomous and at the same have access to clinical support & consultation.
disappointment
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2017
Most of the day for security staff consisted of providing customer service. Which is actually a pleasant task and most enjoyable. Little emphasis placed on merit and job performance. Management prefers favoritism, nepotism and brown nosing. Workplace is toxic. hourly paid security team members compete for work hours,and post. Seniority not considered. lack of collaboration and solidarity. union contract ignored
Pros
benefits, free tuition for employee and family and wages
Cons
poor union representation and health/ pension packge thru union
great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2017
• Greet customers as they arrive in the store and provide them with information regarding products and/or services
• Respond to customers’ complaints and take necessary actions resolve their issues
• Take payment in exchange of food items sold
• Bag, box and wrap food items
• Enter transactions in the cash register and provide customers with the total bill