The New York Botanical Garden Employee Reviews

job was a great learning experience great environment
Catering Server (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
Good company, they have great staff but better pay is needed
tis was a temp position jsut enjoy yourself and mingle you will receive tips. The agency hired me to work for them but the benefits of the comapny as far a sfood and learning experience has been great
Pros
good company
Cons
need better pay
ok for what it was
Cook (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 14, 2018
it was an ok job for what is was. i catered a lot of parties and had a reception or 2 under the belt. work there if you was to. this is too much to speak an
Small, collaborative, & great for a first-time internship
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2018
As a Graphic Design intern for NYBG, I mainly updated existing templates for publications. I went into this position not knowing much about InDesign or print materials, so I learned how to use the program and how to create materials for print. As a full-time student, the position was extremely flexible. I would go in for 3-4 hours a day, 3 days per week, whenever worked best with my class schedule.

My only complaint about the position is how slow some days would be. After picking up InDesign, I would finish my assignments rather quickly and be left waiting for the next thing to do. Sometimes I would go in and work for maybe 30 minutes, then have to sit there for the rest of the 2.5 hours doing nothing.
Fun place to work
Programming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 20, 2018
I loved being behind the scenes at the Garden. Everything you do is to make sure the Garden guests have an enjoyable experience; so when they do, it is very gratifying.
Exciting place to work; meeting new people everyday.
Tram Driver (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 4, 2018
Working at the New York Botanical Garden is fun but it is not possible for me to obtain permanent employment; hence the reason why I have to seek employment elsewhere.
Do not apply
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Very cut throat back stabbing upper management. Also very racists! Not treated fairly and no room for advancement. NYBG is like a revolving door with how many employees quit or get fired, not too many stay after a year!
Pros
Beautiful grounds
Cons
Unaffordable Health care, clicky environment
Overall Good Place to Work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2018
I worked in the Development office, which is faster-paced than most other areas at the Garden. There were times of high stress but I enjoyed the dynamism of my typical work day. The management at the Garden is undergoing changes this year, and I think that contributed to a sense of insecurity among many of my coworkers. Overall, the Garden offers good benefits and pay for a cultural institution in New York City. The workplace culture is fairly normal, and I got along with everyone on my team- we worked together very well. My work and my colleagues were my favorite thing about the job, along with the beautiful outdoor spaces. Least favorite things were upper level management and "vacation blackouts" during certain times of the year.
Pros
Coworkers, outdoor spaces, benefits
Cons
management, vacation blackouts
Productive work place
Professional Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2017
In charge of cleaning up after the caters at The botanical garden.
In charge of the cleaning crew.
Learned how to speed up,
One of my favorite jobs
Pros
good schedule
Cons
wasnt a long term job
A place to gain new experiences in different fields
Tram Driver (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 27, 2017
Very productive place of employment; very cultural diversity. working is fun at the botanical Garden; especially with the gardening section, where one is able to meet employees of the different sections and make new friends.
Good
Intern Explainer - Children's Garden (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 11, 2017
This job was very good and it was worth taking a 1 hour commute all the way over there no matter what. It look very beautiful in the winter with the scenery.

Want to know more about The New York Botanical Garden?

Ask a question
visitor services
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 5, 2017
Working for visitor services is really great. The schedule is really flexible if you have another job or attend school. Weekends are mandatory. This job is a stepping stone in a lot of peoples lives.
well
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 27, 2017
the staff is great but the hours suck
dealing with 1500 people
slow after 3
pick up again for night time after 6
okay discounts
okay weather conditons
Relaxed atmosphere, nice people to work with
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 19, 2017
Very rewarding to teach my work experience to others interested in the field. Not many hours so I can still keep my full time job and do this one class on the side.
Pros
Beautiful grounds
Cons
No benefits since I'm part time
Enjoyed
Host/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 13, 2017
I very much enjoyed my time here, and though it was sort of brief, I would very much love the opportunity to maybe work here again one day. Once the management gets right, of course.
Never again
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 12, 2017
One of the most boring jobs ever. It is an outdoor job so you are dealing with all types of weather. They have you standing your entire shift and you don't even get long breaks. Beautiful place to visit, just not to work at.
Very good working atmosphere.
Stock Room Supervisor/Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 30, 2017
It was nice to work at NYBG. The difference from working in Manhattan is stark. It was so nice to not see all the busses and traffic when I left my place of work. Instead, I'd see flowers, trees and bunnies.
Fine place to work
Office Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2017
The New York Botanical Garden is a decent workplace. They have great benefits. However, the work culture is stressful and cut throat. It is very competitive to get a job there.
Quiet yet close-knit community in a beautiful setting
Science Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2017
The team was supportive of each one's progress in work life, attentive to each other's needs. It did not take long to feel welcomed and comfortable to fully delve myself into the work, communicate effectively of the responsibilities expected and meet the goals.
No room for growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 6, 2017
Low pay, no room for growth, negative work environment. People are too afraid of CEO to collaborate and bring on real, productive change. Wouldn't recommend.
Productive fun
Visitor Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 29, 2016
People will ask what is happening at the New York botanical garden others will issue out the visitors tickets and direct them to where the main attractions are located. Co Workers are really friendly and would help you with any problems that you might have. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the visitors faces when it's their first time visiting the garden.
Pros
luches are 40 minutes. Pay is good
Cons
none so far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New York Botanical Garden. Our community is ready to answer.

The New York Botanical Garden Reviews by Location