The New York Public Library Employee Reviews

Office Aide
Office aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2019
Alright as a temporary job for a college student. Nothing that anyone should build a career on. Very little opportunities for advancement. Poor management.
Lack of team work
Children's Specialist- Senior Librarian (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 24, 2019
A typical day at work is doing outreach raining, snowing, hot or cold. Getting back to the branch and be at a desk for more than six hours. When lunch hour comes or break sometimes, I have to call the person that suppose to release me so I can go to my lunch. The Library is trying very hard to have new professionals but the old staffs are very unprofessional and several new staff end up leaving the Library because of all the extra work they do because of the lack of team work.

The managers are capable to do their job and instead sit all day at an office washing videos, this make the employee become lazy because of the lack of supervising. The hardest part of the job is trying to ask one of your co-workers to either help you on a project because not all of them want to move away from their comfort zone.

The most enjoyable part of the work is the thankful parents and children.
Pros
Meeting new thankful patrons
Cons
too many outreach, lack of team work
Great environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 19, 2019
I worked for the NYPL for a year as a tutor for 1st and 2nd graders. My task was to help them with their homework and help them improve their reading skills. The job at first starts with a little bit of stress because you're not sure what to do, but once you get the idea of the task is it a job you will enjoy.
good work place
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
I love working here. This is a good place to work. Great people, Great environment. Advancement may take a while. Majority of the patrons are great to work with.
Productive and sometimes fun
Office Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 18, 2019
I work in a fast-paces environment. Over the years, I learned how to multi-task because at times we are short staffed.The most enjoyable part is when patrons look forward to signing up for ESOL. Once they finish the class it's rewarding to see them with confidence and speaking English.
It was a very fun experience.
Literacy leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 13, 2019
It was very nice working with the kids and everyone was just so nice. when needed help someone is always there to help.Overall it was a diverse place.
ESOL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2019
I am a part-time ESOL instructor and very happy with management, coworkers and students. The NYPL is a blessing for New Yorkers in that they receive free services and classes in a safe and clean environment.
Productive environment where I thrived
Enrichment Zone Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Working as an educator of the youth at NYPL gave me the opportunity to hone my skills in an environment that allowed both me and the children to work at our own pace. There was plenty of room for advancement that was almost always presented to me by my direct superior.
Fun, fast-paced workplace
Page (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2018
Really enjoyed being challenged and helping librarians whenever I'm finished with my daily tasks. Employees and manager are extremely friendly and willing to help out.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally, fun work environment, stimluating
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes stressful, uncooperative employees
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 17, 2018
Great benefits. Every month you accumulate paid time off. Union position for some. Company is focused primarily on offering customer service to their patrons.
Pros
great people
Cons
Open of Saturdays, some branch entire week
Calm Workplace
Volunteering Floor Page (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10031December 16, 2018
My responsibilities as a Floor Page were to return books that were borrowed back to their shelves. I also helped patrons with any questions they had about any specific book/DVD and/or computer. The environment was very quiet and calm.
pros
Custodian (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2018
Great place to work. I would and is planning to retire from the NYPL. Staff is very friendly. I feel comfortable doing my job. If the NYPL is hiring, this is the place I think anyone would love to work at.
Pros
too many to name
Cons
none I can think of
Relaxed slow paced.
Library Page (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
I learned how to interact with people more and develop communication skills. Also how to be professional under chaotic situations. Working here has also increased my work experience.
Pros
Decent breaks
Cons
Organization needs to be improved
good place to work
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 1, 2018
hours and compensation were pretty reasonable, but they didn't renew my contract. would love to work for them again in some aspect. Highly recommended.
Fun, family orientated
Library Manager, Woodstock Branch (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 29, 2018
Working for the NYPL has been great. Coworkers become friends become family. I have meet many wonderful people throughout my career and have remained friends outside of work. I started as a teenager and worked my way up to Branch Manager. There is always opportunities t advance.
Pros
great working environment, benefits
Cons
pay can be better
good job but i need more
Custodian (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2018
The New York Public Library is a good institution and as most part of my time with then have been a good exirance,my coworkers are wanderfull peopple but the new managers are just horroble.no respect,over work and himuliating.
Pros
good enough venefits and grade coworkers
Cons
abucive managers
Fun & helpful
Junior Interviewer/ Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2018
It was a lot of fun to work collaboratively in the library environment. Helped me learn to hone my social skills in a certain way in order to gain the trust, attention, etc. of others.
Cons
short breaks
It was easy work for easy money.
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2018
My manager was fair yet let me know when it was time to get down to business. She taught me and others how to work with children’s of all race,shape, and color.
Pros
It improved my skills for future references.
Cons
The pay wasn’t enough for my monthly needs.
No career advancement
Page (Former Employee) –  New YorkOctober 14, 2018
Nice place to work, very convenient locations but they don’t pay nearly enough to survive on one salary
You need a Master degree and you have to know someone to get a good job
Cons
No benefits for part time workers
Library
Assist patrons (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
Library is interesting. I enjoyed having the time to work here and read so many books. It was a basic job. I learn to manage time here. The managers can be great.