The New York Public Library Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was a productive experience
Student Mentor- YALP (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 26, 2018
While working in the library I have had a great experience with all of my colleagues. They have taught me so much that I will take with me to my future jobs. It has been a great work space for me.
Pros
Everything about it.
Cons
options to work in different neighborhooods
Supervising Adult and Reference Librarian (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
It is a little different now, but when I started you could bounce around to different neighborhoods to try a fresh challenge. Now they make you wait for an opening, before you could tell the borough office your interest and they would move people around.
Pros
change
Cons
change
Work load needs improvement
Senior Young Adult Librarian (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 3, 2018
With fewer staff members being hired, the workload for current staff is steadily increasing. By hiring more candidates that will actually stay in the system for a number of years, the workload would be much less strenuous.
Fine Place to Work
Senior Adult Librarian (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 29, 2017
I enjoy my job at NYPL because I have equal time helping patrons and working alone in my office. It can get vert busy and as a librarian you do feel like you're pulled in a lot of directions. Upper management does not seem to understand what it's like to work in a neighborhood branch. I would say that I don't feel as if I am being paid fairly. There is no pay schedule so you never know if and when you'll get a raise and when you do it's small. Being in a union is great but it also means that a lot of people that are terrible at their jobs are protected and sometimes make more money than you!
Pros
Good Work-Life Balance, Nice People
Cons
Pay
Lovely and historic place to work
Event Planner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2017
This is a work environment of caring professionals and scholarship, with a nice helping of community service in the mix. This was a really great place to work.
Pros
Lovely building, professional people.
Cons
none, really
Good place of start
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 18, 2017
Amazing place of work for someone who is starting in the work force..

Lots of expectations from management

Busy for the children section

Overall good place of work
Pros
Great beggining
Cons
Not enough hours
great
Assisted Wellness Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2017
Great place to work for. Everyone is friendly, and they have a strong culture which makes you want to go to work everyday. Everyone is very prepared and are willing to help you succeed .
Think retail and customer service, but with books
SENIOR LIBRARIAN (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
Bad management structure, Underfunded and understaffed branches, It's all about numbers and quantity rather than quality or long-term thinking/planning.
Pros
Unionized, decent benefits
Cons
Byzantine management, work focuses more on logistics rather than librarianship, and on numbers of program attendees than quality programs
Professional and outstanding work setting.
Senior Page (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2017
A typical day at work would be prcessing and shipping books to other public libraries. I learned that hard work goes a long way. Management was very polite and well spoken. They were very helpful and professional.
Pros
lots of books to read.
Cons
very quiet environment.
Public Service and Community Engagement
Library Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2017
Much of the day involves interacting with the public, computer help and circulation of materials. Policy and upper management may change often, making it difficult to retaining all of the new information. However, communities tend to show a great appreciation for the library and staff.
Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  nyFebruary 22, 2017
Working at the NYPL was a great place to work b/c I was able to meet many interesting NY figures, and I learned a lot working there. I loved my job and only left to raise my first child.
fun working with kids
Administrative Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2016
working for the library was fun but it was just a program from teens so as soon as i got out of high school i couldn't work anymore
Pros
after school hours
Cons
just 2 days a week
culture of incompetence
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
I've worked at NYPL for 5+ years, 1+ year at the current position. it's fairly laid back environment. With 7hr/day work schedule, some come to work at 7am, while others at 11, and leave at 3 pm to 6pm. My current position is with IT -- it's a small group, but it is always difficult to work with IT managers who are always defensive and technically lacking. My typical co-workers weren't exactly the creme of the crop either. The hardest part of my job was to convince them to change or improve their way of doing things -- some IT managers were quite blatant BS artists and they were more interested in hiding their problems. After working in the public sector all these years, I came to understand why some IT failures at large gov't agencies (eg, IRS, Obamacare website) are inevitable.
Pros
benefits, vacation, flexible hours
Cons
managers, not the creme of the crop
Public librarian's job in diverse community is providing wide range of information to customers is not so much of involving in the detailed research
Children's Librarian (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 8, 2015
A public library is a busy place serving people who need assistance in basic life skills, as well as providing wide range of free programs. A children' s librarian's day is constant planning, preparing, executing and reporting programs offered to different age range of children as well as outreach activities to local schools and daycare facilities.
Helping people and being appreciated is the best part of the job, while having enough time for preparation and dealing with difficult customers are the hardest part of the job.
Library coworkers are generally cooperative and the atmosphere is to help with each other, rather than compete.
As a large organization, communication within the organization is always a challenge, but current management is addressing the issue and improvements have been made. Overall, it is a good environment to work and have chances learn more and improve yourself.
Pros
Job security, corroborative atmosphere
Cons
Low salary compared to the cost of urban living
One Day
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 29, 2015
Working here was a great experience for me and my growth. People here are friendly and helpful. This library provides many resources and benefits in many various ways.
Pros
Many availability services and information
Cons
Can get loud in children's section at times
Productive Workplace
Assistant to the Vice President of Public Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2015
The staff were exceptional. Great place to work. The location is excellent. Great when it comes to technology and cutting edge information technology.

The working conditions are excellent. My co-workers were excellent. The hardest part of my job was dealing with inconsistency.
Pros
Benefits, lunches, location
Cons
Direct management
Peaceful
Computer Page (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Working at the library would was a pretty peaceful job. It was like working in a store but without all of the hassle and confusion that some customers may bring about. The job was to reorganize bookshelves, provide customer care when needed and to just make sure the library was presentable looking.
Pros
quiet
Interesting Library
Children's Librarian Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
New York Public Library is an interesting place to work at. It was very fast paced and you serviced a diverse group of person you could think of. Working at NYPL was really a great experience, it kept you on your toes and you were never bored. I always tell people if you could make it at NYPL you could make it any any other library in the world.
your co-workers
Asset management Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2014
I met some good people at the library. Smart and willing to help.
Was a page at the libary
Library Associate (Page) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2014
was a page at the libary responsible for filing books and magazines...i had to file at a timely fashion
Pros
great job easy fun
Cons
boring the workers suck