The New York Times Employee Reviews

a world of change
NEWS DESIGN EDITOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2018
the New York times is undergoing sweeping changes, moving from a print-focused news report to a 24-hour digital report. the change includes a new workflow, a new copy flow, and a new organization throughout the newsroom.
Very fun place to work.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 14, 2018
It was a telemarketing job that sold the New York Times.
I learned a easy way to sell the paper with selective words.
You only have 10-15 coworkers in your section with one supervisor.
Pros
Made commision
Cons
Rude customers.
Fellowship Summary
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2018
As an intern I learned what I could. Management was helpful, but you really had to initiate your own growth. The culture was highly stressful as everybody was working to meet their own deadlines.
Mission-driven organization with talented colleagues
Graphics/Multimedia Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2018
If you want to work somewhere where you feel like your work matters and you want to be surrounded by intelligent, talented, hard-working people, then you will love this place. There is a deep passion for reporting and innovation. The place is dedicated to becoming more collaborative throughout and they've done much to improve employee satisfaction in the last few years.

They still need to work on diversity (especially in management) and overall organization of desks and reporting structure and focus on training managers. Overall they seem to be making more strides in this direction.

Regardless, there is no better place to work if you want to work in journalism / media.
Pros
Colleagues, work, free coffee, standing desks, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Management culture, lack of opportunity for raises / promotions, poor communication
Learned the NYT style of writing.
DESIGNATED REPORTER/FOREIGN NEWS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2018
I learned at the NYT to throw a press release in the trash can and do your own research on a story or subject. Now years later, I think many journalists don't do enough real reporting and sourcing on their stories.
Productive,fun place to work.
Sr. AR Credit & Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  One New York Times Plaza, Flushing, NY 11354August 13, 2018
The company is a great place to work and is always trying to keep up with the times and is very family oriented. When you come to work it is a pleasure.
Pros
Very diversified. Great Benefits
Mission oriented with brilliant staff
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2018
The Times is a great place to work with a shared mission throughout the company and really smart, innovative people. More recently they’ve really started to focus on employees and benefits making it a great place to work.
Pros
Good benefits, pro, smart colleagues and management
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 12, 2018
It's a good place to work. I learned a lot about publishing industry and circulation. Got opportunity to work with some very talented people. Workplace culture was good.
no longer great place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2018
Company was a Great Place to Work. Over the years it no longer holds that distinction. Mgmt no longer has respect for employees. Took an early retirement.
A great place to work
Systems Analyst - Newsroom and News Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
The New York Times is a great place to work that keeps in tune with the current culture and seeks to be on the cutting edge with all research, development and technology.
temporary
Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
filing articles and pictures , light typing and really was temporary and didn't experience much beside my work load. The hardest part was filing the pictures you had to make sure they were in the write files.At the end of the day when my work was accomplished.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
short breaks
Competence is Key
Messaging & Collaboration Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2018
I was blessed with this internship. The members of my unit were amazing. My supervisor was really laid back and allowed me to pursue my interest as long as I did my assigned tasks. I really didn't want to leave.
Negative Experience Through out
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2018
I don't like to give negative reviews so I'll just describe employment at The Times as a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

The End
New york times
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
It was a temporary job, but it was an enjoyable relaxing atmosphere.Management let you do your job.We did a weekly payroll . Most enjoyable part was learning how to handle a weekly payroll
Pros
learned how to handle a weekly payroll
Cons
it was a temp job
Strong Company
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTMarch 13, 2018
I worked there a long time ago and do not feel my comments are relevant today. The division I worked is no longer in business.
At the time the benefits were good.
Completely stimulating work environment.
Deputy National Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
The NYT is competitive and stressful but the best place to work in journalism. There are unlimited career options for people who do well there, and a stimulating, collaborative, supportive work culture. Hours can be brutal.
not good workplace.
Warehouse work (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 27, 2018
I did not enjoy working there because of the managers were too child-like, they never did there job and they made it uncomfortable for the people that was trying to work.
Pros
the hours
Cons
not good.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 26, 2018
If you believe in the mission of quality journalism, this is the holy grail. I could not have been prouder to work for this organization and worked in a marketing capacity.
Pros
It's the NYT
Cons
lack of advancement
Did enjoy working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for Publishers Circulation Fulfillment. I helped develop a new program to save customers and provide better service at the same time.
Huge place in those days with definite class distinctions.
Reporter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2018
It was a large and intimidating place with lots of distinctions between the local guys and the national and international guys. I was a local guy and out in the field the Times was less considered than the old Daily News and Post.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New York Times. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

58out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The New York Times.