The New York Times Employee Reviews

Negative Experience Through out
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2018
I don't like to give negative reviews so I'll just describe employment at The Times as a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

The End
Strong Company
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTMarch 13, 2018
I worked there a long time ago and do not feel my comments are relevant today. The division I worked is no longer in business.
At the time the benefits were good.
Completely stimulating work environment.
Deputy National Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
The NYT is competitive and stressful but the best place to work in journalism. There are unlimited career options for people who do well there, and a stimulating, collaborative, supportive work culture. Hours can be brutal.
not good workplace.
Warehouse work (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 27, 2018
I did not enjoy working there because of the managers were too child-like, they never did there job and they made it uncomfortable for the people that was trying to work.
Pros
the hours
Cons
not good.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 26, 2018
If you believe in the mission of quality journalism, this is the holy grail. I could not have been prouder to work for this organization and worked in a marketing capacity.
Pros
It's the NYT
Cons
lack of advancement
Did enjoy working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for Publishers Circulation Fulfillment. I helped develop a new program to save customers and provide better service at the same time.
Huge place in those days with definite class distinctions.
Reporter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2018
It was a large and intimidating place with lots of distinctions between the local guys and the national and international guys. I was a local guy and out in the field the Times was less considered than the old Daily News and Post.
The New York Times
Delivery Shaper (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 5, 2018
I learned that you need to know someone to go somewhere. With that being said, most companies operate on an unwritten rule that you need to know someone on the inside to get a position you seek.
NY Times is a great client.
Freelance Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
The New York Times was one of many clients to whom I provided copyediting and proofreading services as a freelancer. I did not have a position there; nevertheless, my in-house experience, with the wonderful team on Special Sections, was exceptional. I got the opportunity to interface with writers, do onscreen editing, and meet tight deadlines for the Sunday magazine. The managers I worked with have since left or retired.
Pros
Extremely friendly staff; ability to wear multiple hats and work on a variety of materials
Cons
Not every "editor" I worked with had an editorial background or understood what copyeditors do.
overall
Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2018
I enjoyed the short time I was there. It was pretty cool working at the New York times. I didn't want to leave but I was covering for a person that was out on disability. They wanted to keep me but the person decided to come back to work, so I had to go.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fast-paced environment
Web/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Fast-paced environment and great team members to learn from. Lots to learn about the print world and the various syndications under the umbrella of The NY Times.
Productive fun workplace with a pingpong table
Digital QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Laid back culture, also serious and on a time constraint for deliverables. Room for advancement. Fun and productive with a game night once a month in the conference rooms.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short lunches
A great paper back in the day
Stringer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2018
This paper used to be great. However, since the late 90s it has steadily declined and become a joke within journalistic circles. It panders to its readership and sullies a once-great reputation daily.
The NYT was a fun place to be during the end of the war...
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2018
I assisted a reporter who won a pulitzer and wrote sample articles for the paper. I also researched and handled phone calls. In both Beijing and Washington DC,, I had a lot of fun!
Productive and Fun.
Line Cook (Salad and Grill Station) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2018
Pros: Free Breakfast and lunch.

Cons: 1.Working in cold kitchen and at the same time at the grill station.
2. Lack of advancement program/trainings to develop your knowledge and skills.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks, multi tasking
the very best US media institution
Reporter (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 28, 2017
Beyond its prestige and the joys of writing for a mass, educated audience, the New York Times has/had the most interesting, thoughtful, creative people of any place I've ever worked. It is a remarkable organization.
It is competitive and management has not always been great, but this is one of the very best organizations in the US.
Team Based
Inbound Customer Service Advocate/CALL CENTER (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 24, 2017
I enjoy the fact that everyone helps one another with customer service issues. A sense of family by sharing or venting your anxiety after taking a call from a disgruntled customer.
Pros
Work as many hours as you want.
Cons
Low pay
Nice work environment, Nice culture.
Front End Web Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10018December 20, 2017
Nice work environment, Nice culture. Great administrator and management. I love to work with team. friendly environment. get work done, have fun, 100% day, free coffee, love cafeteria.
Pros
free coffee, sometimes lunch, 100% day.
Tough place. Rewarding mission.
Reporter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2017
Tough place. Rewarding mission. Sink or Swim.
The mission is great. But managers do not actually care about you. And diversity here is a joke. But it's still the best job in the world. Just the culture and stress suck.
One of the best companies I have ever worked.
Software Engineer/QA Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 14, 2017
One of the best companies I have ever worked. Great people to work with. I also love the technology that we implemented. Very successful company and still is.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New York Times. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

58out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The New York Times.