The North Face Employee Reviews

good pay, poor benefits
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 21, 2019
Most of your day is spent selling expensive clothing to people that don't really need it. The return policy is annoying and their online sales are poorly integrated with the store's system. Half of the customer complaints are a result of the lack of integration.
Pros
good base salary
Cons
bonus is a joke, healthcare is really bad
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAFebruary 20, 2019
The North Face as a company is amazing , so much fun to work for with so many benefits. The bonuses, the payouts, the instore events and volunteer events all amazing!
Pros
Payout, bonuses, free lunch/ dinner sometimes
Cons
Cut of hours during the beginning of the year
The North Face
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2019
Good company with room for improvement. Been there 5 years, Great 401k and health benefits. Pay is alright, training needs a bit of improvement. They applaud hard workers.
great workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAJanuary 30, 2019
Great place to work as a first job, some good managers. flexible hours. Customers are a hit or miss (most don't speak good English but are mostly nice)
Fantastic part time job for a student
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJanuary 25, 2019
It's fun and the people are nice. The company is very considerate of their employees and have a great reputation with customers. I just do not make enough money to live on my own.
Great first job
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2019
It was an excellent work place. People are nice and supportive. Comes winter you will have to get used to the uproar of customers because it can be unrelenting. 10/10
Pros
Discount, Fun Co-workers
Cons
Low hours, Not a lot of full time positions.
Great first job
Sales associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 10, 2019
Management was great taught the ropes of retail properly unlike forever 21. The atmosphere is so attractive I almost never wanted to leave. The hardest part of the job was folding clothes at the end of the day
Stock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 2, 2019
Job environment is fun and fast paced. Chance to advance in some aspects of the job. Daily work day varies a lot throughout the week and year. The hardest part of the job is the varied customers that walk through the door. The most fun part of the job are the people and staff you work with
Pros
discount
Cons
no overtime usually
Over all good first job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYDecember 29, 2018
Its not somewhere you'd like to spend the rest of your life , like all places the mangers have their favorites. Over all it was a nice place to work they pay was good just wish it was weekly rather than biweekly
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
lack of hours
Typical day at North Face
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNDecember 25, 2018
I started at North Face after Bloomingdales closed its doors to move back to New York.
I had worked in North Face at Bloomingdales so I knew the clothing and product.
I would work either mornings, or afternoons closing.
During the Holidays it would become very busy, and our hours were longer.
I was the top seller in this Store in Edina Galleria, MN I sold over 2 million dollars or more. We sold apparel for men, women & children, plus accessories, I did go on a Assistant buying trip , learned a lot about retail.

Its a very good company to work for, very fair, and good to employees. I as a Customer associate would meet and greet customers, asset them with apparel for asking, climbing or any other sporting event.
Pros
I received many gift cards to spend on clothing, plus 65 percent off and if we had doctors appointment we can ask for it off
Cons
I did not receive health care because I was PT, yet I did get gift cards and time off if needed. I had a very nice manager
The store looks like a surgical room and is soul-crushing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2018
TNF was an alright place to work for. The staff was friendly and mostly knowledgable. However, as someone with years of experience not only selling high quality outdoor gear and clothing, as well as someone who actually has real-world experience using said gear in the field, I was very surprised to find out that hardly any of my coworkers (and even management) had any camping, hiking, or backpacking experience, which I feel should be somewhat of a prerequisite to working at a place like that
Pros
Awards and recognition for good work
Cons
Hired too many people and diluted the hours that were available to the staff
Never stop Exploring
West Coast Area Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 30, 2018
I worked with this company for almost 9 years and was greatly enriched in the overall experience. The company was focused on growth while remaining authentic.
Pros
Wonderful work environments
Cons
relocation often needed
Structured freedom while working at the store level
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 19, 2018
I worked at the San Marcos location and had a fantastic store manager who promoted self learning but was also there to provide direction when needed. Overall the company itself allows for a lot of freedom in their stores when it comes to merchandising, processing, and the overall running of each store. Of course there are structured policies in place but they allow for a lot of flexibility when it comes to their implementation leading to a really genuine and encouraging work environment for all employees.
Fun place to work with great people and culture, but little to no room for growth
Sales/Visual/Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 11, 2018
A typical day at work includes informing customers about the technical aspects of products in order to help meet the daily sales goal. As an associate, you walk the floor and sell while trying to maintain the floor.
Learned a lot about analytical evaluations and technology marketing claims and enjoyed the challenges to prove out the technologies.
Materials Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 6, 2018
Met with many local and international vendors to advance the reputation of the North Face being one of the worlds top outerwear brands.
Created the North Face seasonal Trend list twice a year to deliver focused and on trend direction to all mills.
Poor management
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLNovember 2, 2018
The one in silver sands premium lacks good management. Every time you ask a question the store manager dances around the question. There will never be career advancement. They don’t teach you anything at all. The store visually is a disaster. If you have worked retail and have company standards this is the location for you. Everytime I tried to make something look nice the assistant manager always told me good luck it’s not going to stay like that.
Too much required for the pay
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLOctober 31, 2018
You are required to push sales, each employee has a set goal for sales overtime they work. It is required that you dust the store, clean mirrors and windows, vacuum, etc.
Pros
idk
Cons
idk
Enjoyed my time
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Gretna, NEOctober 24, 2018
Spent two years working for them, it was a good company to be apart of. I really enjoyed the product and the group of people I was working with. It is a well payed company.
Pros
Holiday food provides
Cons
Short breaks
Didn't really enjoy working there until the Holidays kicked in.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birch Run, MIOctober 22, 2018
When I first was hired at The North Face, I thought it was cool, but then I started to not like it towards October as it was getting hard to balance being a student and working there. I felt like they didn't really respect me being a student as for an entire month I closed on nights where I needed to study. My boss at the time also was kind of super corporate and sometimes made some weird comments, like asking for the obituary of my godmother when she passed away when I told her I needed to take that day off to attend the funeral, because she needed to "verify". My manager even agreed with me that what she did was wrong.

However I did start to enjoy my time there around November and December, when I had friends come up there and shop, and some work with me. In the end I did enjoy it, but I wish my time as a student had been more respected.
Loved It
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MD 21740October 12, 2018
I really liked working there, the people are great! I have had such a great experience and I can't wait to see what this position holds for me. Thank North Face!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North Face. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight