The North Face Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with great people and culture, but little to no room for growth
Sales/Visual/Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 11, 2018
A typical day at work includes informing customers about the technical aspects of products in order to help meet the daily sales goal. As an associate, you walk the floor and sell while trying to maintain the floor.
Learned a lot about analytical evaluations and technology marketing claims and enjoyed the challenges to prove out the technologies.
Materials Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 6, 2018
Met with many local and international vendors to advance the reputation of the North Face being one of the worlds top outerwear brands.
Created the North Face seasonal Trend list twice a year to deliver focused and on trend direction to all mills.
Poor management
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLNovember 2, 2018
The one in silver sands premium lacks good management. Every time you ask a question the store manager dances around the question. There will never be career advancement. They don’t teach you anything at all. The store visually is a disaster. If you have worked retail and have company standards this is the location for you. Everytime I tried to make something look nice the assistant manager always told me good luck it’s not going to stay like that.
Too much required for the pay
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLOctober 31, 2018
You are required to push sales, each employee has a set goal for sales overtime they work. It is required that you dust the store, clean mirrors and windows, vacuum, etc.
Pros
idk
Cons
idk
Enjoyed my time
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Gretna, NEOctober 24, 2018
Spent two years working for them, it was a good company to be apart of. I really enjoyed the product and the group of people I was working with. It is a well payed company.
Pros
Holiday food provides
Cons
Short breaks
Didn't really enjoy working there until the Holidays kicked in.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birch Run, MIOctober 22, 2018
When I first was hired at The North Face, I thought it was cool, but then I started to not like it towards October as it was getting hard to balance being a student and working there. I felt like they didn't really respect me being a student as for an entire month I closed on nights where I needed to study. My boss at the time also was kind of super corporate and sometimes made some weird comments, like asking for the obituary of my godmother when she passed away when I told her I needed to take that day off to attend the funeral, because she needed to "verify". My manager even agreed with me that what she did was wrong.

However I did start to enjoy my time there around November and December, when I had friends come up there and shop, and some work with me. In the end I did enjoy it, but I wish my time as a student had been more respected.
Loved It
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MD 21740October 12, 2018
I really liked working there, the people are great! I have had such a great experience and I can't wait to see what this position holds for me. Thank North Face!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Great place to work if you love the atmosphere
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 27, 2018
Talking to customers to determine their needs was the best part of my job. My boss was very flexible with the hours and was always encouraging. I learned so much about interacting with the environment and the proper equipment to suit.
Once a fun company, now going down the drain.
sales (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 22, 2018
TNF was once an amazing company to work for. Upper management was incredible and you felt like they actually cared about you. Constant restructuring lead to less than stellar positional changes and new hires in the corporate setting and the bad junk rolls down hill. There is no more internal advancement despite what they say and that feeling of camaraderie and usefulness has left. Store management and corporate has proven themselves incompetent time and time again with miscommunicated projects and deadlines. A widespread disconnect from corporate to store level. They work you like dogs in the holidays and cut hours drastically from Jan-October.
Pros
Coworkers, fun helping customers
Cons
Store and corporate leadership, lack of course, short breaks
Each Store Is Different!
Selling supervisor manager and visual coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 11, 2018
I worked with a great staff so I had fun and found success in my position. The company did have unreal expectations for changes they implemented that simply weren't effective and the stores were blamed for poor performance when we always worked to to what we could to maximize sales. Nothing was every good enough
Pros
Discount
Cons
Declining Brick and Mortar Landscape
All in all an excellent place to work
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miramar Beach, FLSeptember 11, 2018
Micromanagement huge issue here. Too many different answers given to same question from one person. Associates felt always under magnifying glass. Additional learning tools are always put off. Overall it IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK.
Pros
Bonuses, discounts at many stored
Cons
Micromanagement, not willing to give more info to educate further
Motivating work environment with great people
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 10, 2018
No one days is the same -- must be able to adaptable to a fast paced culture.

Daily information must be filtered properly in order to prioritize task management and delegation to your team.

The most fun and the most stress you can find in one job -- a great placed to start and grow a career

Driving sales in an every-growing, ever-changing retail environment has its challenges and wins. Take the wins and learn from the challenges.
Pros
Amazing people to work with in an company and industry that promotes a healthy, connected to the outdoors environment.
Cons
Working weekends and holidays, however, you have understand the business needs and be adaptable to them for success.
A fun experience, but not for long term opportunities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2018
Working for this company provided me with insurmountable knowledge on the products of the company, which has a lot of real world application. Coworkers feel more like family, working together for the most part to meet company goals and achieve bonuses. The hardest part of the job is using time effectively and efficiently, as it is easy to waste time on specific customers, and even more difficult during the busy seasons to get the customers what they want both in a timely fashion and at all due to product limitations or availability. There is also little time to sit, so in the event of a longer workday, it can be quite exhausting. Attendance is strict, so timeliness is a huge factor. Meeting all sorts of interesting individuals was probably the most enjoyable part of the position.
Pros
Monthly bonuses, special sales bonuses for individuals, discounted products
Cons
Little room for advancement, long hours on your feet
great place to work
Product Development Assistant -The North Face (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 31, 2018
professional work environment, good benefits, decent pay, nice people and management, people always willing to help out and teach, great place to learn valuable skills
Undifferentiated retail workplace that may work best for outdoor enthusiasts seeking part-time work with flexible hours.
Stock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Evanston, IL 60201August 28, 2018
High stress, fast paced environment during the Winter busy season, followed by a slower Spring/Summer season where hours were sometimes significantly reduced. Opportunities to develop soft job skills are abundant, but the ability to obtain concrete certifications or enroll in training programs is limited. Systems are somewhat antiquated and do not always reflect what one might expect from a modern omni-channel retailer.
Pros
Flexible schedule, outdoor activity participation encouraged
Cons
Inconsistent hours, limited opportunities for KSA development
Very friendly and Fun
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 18, 2018
Enjoy working at The North Face it has taught me many things such as hkw to handle customers, what is needed as a sales asscocite to make sure the customer leave satisfied, and to make sure that we are there to help everyone and make sure they leave pleased with their expierence
Pros
-Flexable Hours
Great Company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 13, 2018
It was a Great company to work for. A lot of pros. I’d definitely go back, if I was ever in the business of retail again! Great staff!! Wonderful company offered a lot of outdoor activities.
Assistant Store manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 13, 2018
The north face is a good place to work. A typical days of work is analyzing the business and payroll. Also, making sure that everyone is doing their job nd being able to delegate a days work between everyone.
Customer Service above and beyond
Territory Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 8, 2018
This company was a fun invirorment to work in , and a strong communication via phone and email was very critical to servising
mid west territory clients.

A vast knowledge of the structure of products North Face retailed
allowed a very successful increase in sales that was the bottom line quotas quarterly .

The most challenging part of the job was to trouble shoot shipping logistics from a Midwest warehouse distribution location when bad weather was a factor
Pros
learned about outdoor lifestyle
Cons
shipping logistics estimations
Day at North Face
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tannersville, PAAugust 3, 2018
Operated cash register
Assisted customers
clock in at beginning of shift
grab walkies and head piece
talk to manager on shift
head to area of work
organize are of work
help customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North Face. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight